PDA

View Full Version : jays sign alford!

masTOR_shake1
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/06/08/blue_jays_anthony_alford_sign_ncaa/

"The Toronto Blue Jays will sign two-sport star Anthony Alford to a pro contract that will allow him to play quarterback this fall at Southern Mississippi, Baseball America reported Friday.

Toronto selected the 17-high-school outfielder in the third round (112th overall) in this week’s MLB Draft despite Alford warning teams not to pick him because he was determined to play football this fall.

Citing two sources, Baseball America’s Jim Callis reported Friday that Alford will sign a contract with the Blue Jays that will allow him to play football for the Golden Eagles.

NCAA regulations allow players to sign pro contracts in one sports while maintaining their eligibility in another.

Callis also suggests Alford’s signing bonus may be close to double the $424,000 MLB has assigned to the No. 122 pick.

Last summer, the Blue Jays reached an agreement with undrafted free agent outfielder Luke Wilson that allowed him to continue platying football at Rice University.

On Wednesday, Blue Jays director of amateur scouting Andrew Tinnish didn't rule out going down that road with Alford.

"I think that could be possible," he explained. "This is a little unique because of where we took him in the draft. Luke was a post-draft sign. It's too early in the process to say, yes or no to that, so I'd probably just have to say 'maybe."

He also said Toronto planned on making a strong push to sign him.

"Anthony is an extremely athletic centre-fielder," he said. "Obviously he's a very good athlete and a very good kid, with a very short and quick compact swing. He's probably a seven runner on our 2-8 scale. He's very explosive. He's a guy that we'd love to have as part of our organization.

"It's something that we're going to work hard to do but at this point, we're just starting the process of communicating with him and his family."

Tinnish added Alford has the chance to be an everyday player in the big leagues, but refused to bite when asked whether Alford might be a better football player at this stage.

"I think he's an extremely good baseball player," aid Tinnis. "As far as if he's better at football, I'm not really qualified to make a comment. Certainly he must be pretty good if he's got a scholarship at a Division I school at quarterback." "

es0terik
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I really don't like the idea of giving a guy 800K just for him to say "maybe I'll play for you some day"... Wouldn't letting him go give us a compensation pick in a stronger draft next year?

es0terik
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Sounds legit though:

Petal High School football and baseball star Anthony Alford will sign with the Toronto Blue Jays organization but still play football at Southern Miss, Baseball America is reporting.

Alford, named Mississippi’s Mr. Football in 2011 by The Clarion-Ledger, was taken by the Blue Jays in the third round of this week’s Major League Baseball draft, 112th overall.

Two weeks ago, Alford said he had told pro baseball scouts that he wanted to play both sports at USM and would not sign a pro contract. That move likely dropped him in the draft — he was projected as a first-round pick as an outfielder.

But after the Blue Jays selected him on Tuesday, Alford had a change of heart and seemed to be considering signing.

“I”m not going to a make any quick decisions,” Alford told the Hattiesburg American. “I didn’t plan on being drafted so high. I’m certainly blessed to have an opportunity like this, so I’m going to think about it.”

Baseball America, citing un-named sources, said Alford will receive a signing bonus that “may be close to double the $424,400 value assigned to the 112th pick.”

As a quarterback, Alford led Petal to the MHSAA Class 6A title game last fall. He threw for 2,058 yards and 20 touchdowns and ran for 1,731 yards and 24 more TDs. In the recently completed baseball season, Alford hit .483 for Petal, with 11 doubles, four home runs and 31 RBIs. He was also 14-for-14 on stolen base attempts.

Alford was not immediately available for comment.

Jays To Sign Alford

Posted Jun. 8, 2012 11:55 am by Jim Callis
Filed under: Signings

Petal (Miss.) High outfielder Anthony Alford might have been a first-round pick had teams been convinced that he was willing to play baseball. In late April, he informed clubs that he was intent on playing football and baseball at Southern Mississippi instead of turning pro. Rated No. 36 on the BA 500, Alford dropped to the Blue Jays and pick No. 112 in the third round.

Two sources informed Baseball America today that Alford will sign with the Jays, who will allow him to play football for the Golden Eagles. His bonus hasn't been confirmed yet, but may be close to double the $424,400 value assigned to the 112th overall pick.

The first player in Mississippi history to win the state's Gatorade football player of the year award as both a junior and senior, Alford quarterbacked Petal to the 6-A state championship game last fall. He passed for 2,058 yards and 20 touchdowns while rushing for 1,731 yards and another 24 scores. The 6-foot, 200-pounder offers tantalizing potential on the diamond as well as an outfielder with plus-plus speed and good power potential.

bomber0104
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
I really don't like the idea of giving a guy 800K just for him to say "maybe I'll play for you some day"... Wouldn't letting him go give us a compensation pick in a stronger draft next year?

yeah but we'll still have the same slotting system next year meaning that we will probably get a player that is no where near as talented as Alford..

and if we do get a talented player, we'll have the same issue again with cap

anotherqtip420
06-08-2012, 02:26 PM
I like the player and the $$$ he signed for but i HATE the part of him being able to play football as well. As if football wasn't a tough enough sport on your body but you agree to let him be a QB as well??? I smell disaster.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-08-2012, 02:28 PM
wow LMAO our drafting is something were top notch at and I love it.

alistar
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I like the player and the $$$ he signed for but i HATE the part of him being able to play football as well. As if football wasn't a tough enough sport on your body but you agree to let him be a QB as well??? I smell disaster.

Well, that's the risk you take. If you don't want to take that risk, we shouldn't have drafted him.

nithanyo
06-08-2012, 02:49 PM
I guess if you want him to play anything it would be QB. There are worse positions he could play.

Its still scary since most baseball players are fragile flowers.

Kelly Gruber
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Nice that ownership is willing to pony up the cash on a guy that has a high probability of never being a Blue Jay. It's a risk, but with those kind of tools its a risk worth taking.

BlueJayFanDan
06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Great news! This guy sounds like he could be really good if we can get him to play for us.

phillipmike
06-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Its a small risk to take based on the potential reward. 800k or whatever it is equates to very little risk to Rogers and more importantly the Jays and how they operate if he decides not to play baseball.

I thought it would be impossible to sign this guy. It is a pleasant surprise but let's get some of our other guys signed (Stroman, and Davis). And hopefully the official word on signing Alford, Smoral, Nay, Gonzales, and DeJong come out soon.

jaysforever
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Wow...incredible news. I'd guess about a $1mm might get it done and it sounds like it'll be cheaper. This is a very low risk, high return situation. The money's not huge by any means, yet if he excels and eventually chooses baseball he has a chance to be a star.

I wonder what happens around September each year? Does he just play baseball like about June thru August or something like that? Anyways, these are the kinds of details they have to work out.

I think it's a no brainer on his part though. May as well get his foot in the door to pro baseball, pocket a ton of cash (for a student!) and gets to play football as well.

Hmmmm....wonder what the future holds!!

MrForever
06-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Best draft ever!

es0terik
06-08-2012, 05:14 PM
yeah but we'll still have the same slotting system next year meaning that we will probably get a player that is no where near as talented as Alford..

and if we do get a talented player, we'll have the same issue again with cap

No actually this is somewhat incorrect, because as long as this drafting system is in place, players are going to slide hella far every year now. You'd just take the risk that the guy you get next year is simply hard to sign, not hard to sign AND in love with football. Besides, this is a double protected pick. So if the guy next year didnt sign, we'd have ANOTHER compensation pick in 2014.

bomber0104
06-08-2012, 05:17 PM
No actually this is somewhat incorrect, because as long as this drafting system is in place, players are going to slide hella far every year now. You'd just take the risk that the guy you get next year is simply hard to sign, not hard to sign AND in love with football. Besides, this is a double protected pick. So if the guy next year didnt sign, we'd have ANOTHER compensation pick in 2014.

but there is also the chance that we just pick up one of those college seniors with the pick so all that pick would help us with is that extra 300k

and trust me, it isn't very common to get 1st round talent in the 3rd round

the_jon
06-08-2012, 05:21 PM
^From my short experience following the draft, it seems like it is. But with the new system in place, signing 1st round talent in the 3rd round is going to be a different story.

scottythegreat1
06-08-2012, 05:26 PM
The Jays have learned to read between the lines on these players that say "Im going to college no matter what happens" guys. The Jays give them a chance because not everyone is REALLY going to college. If you wave enough greenbacks at them, theyll change their mind. Essentially, you HAVE to pay these guys more than slot in order to get them, so the Jays did just that.

They got burned last year, but so what, they are taking chances on these guys whereas other teams are giving up on guys, so let us have the better players. Are we going to get burned from time to time, of course, thats part of the game.

Thats what AA is doing, taking chances on the BEST players out there that our team needs regardless of whether or not they SAY they are going to college or not.

es0terik
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM
All I know is I dont give a crap about not signing Beede if we get Stroman as compensation and for two million dollars less than what Beede wanted. I'd have felt the same about Alford. The Jays aren't stupid, they know how to draft. If for whatever reason Alford hadn't signed, that pick would not have gone to waste.

scaramantula
06-08-2012, 05:45 PM
so whats the deal here can he screw us over and go play prop in another league?

Spiderdan22
06-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Well...if doesn't play ball there are 29 other clubs that don't have him either. If he's good and sticks with ball then he is a Jay. I think this is actually a win for AA. Besides, it cost less than a million to take a risk? How much are the Jays paying Lind to suck in the minors right now? Money well spent. Skies the limit if it works out...800K lost and no one else has him if it doesn't.

es0terik
06-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Basically what Spiderdan said. In the event that Alford wants to play baseball, the Jays have their name on him and he's reserved for us. Whenever he wants to play baseball, he'll be a Blue Jay (barring a trade a year or two down the road - highly and incredibly unlikely).

scaramantula
06-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Basically what Spiderdan said. In the event that Alford wants to play baseball, the Jays have their name on him and he's reserved for us. Whenever he wants to play baseball, he'll be a Blue Jay (barring a trade a year or two down the road - highly and incredibly unlikely).

but he could still play pro football or whatever sport it is?

es0terik
06-08-2012, 07:35 PM
but he could still play pro football or whatever sport it is?

Basically, because football season in college happens in the fall and spring, he can do that during those months. Then when school is out and the baseball season starts, he HAS to report to the Jays minor league camp. It sounds like it's going to be pretty exhausting for him.

He can play both sports probably until the NFL draft. At which point he could probably ditch the Jays and join a football team or he could drop his football aspirations and play for the Jays. He can't stay in limbo forever, only until his college stuff is done.

That's at least how I comprehend it from what I've seen/read.

nithanyo
06-09-2012, 01:53 PM
A better use of money than on Dustin Mcgowan. Thats for sure

Billyen
06-10-2012, 05:10 AM
a better use of money than on dustin mcgowan. Thats for sure

x2

DiPasquale7
06-10-2012, 05:20 AM
He could be the next Neon Deion. We get him in the summer, the NFL gets him in the winter.

Sanyo
06-10-2012, 06:33 AM
If you look at Deion's baseball numbers they were straight out ugly and it was clear by his late 20's he couldnt do both (eventually went football full-time until he was 33) and was injury prone.

Bo Jackson only played, what, 5 years or so? He hardly had a career in the NFL played 4 years.

So the odds are extremely stacked against Alfred...I would think the Jays will want him to focus on one thing or another in the next two years or so...

wamco
06-10-2012, 08:10 AM
what.... bo blew his freaking hip ouy ending his career

jaysforever
06-10-2012, 12:51 PM
If you look at Deion's baseball numbers they were straight out ugly and it was clear by his late 20's he couldnt do both (eventually went football full-time until he was 33) and was injury prone.

Bo Jackson only played, what, 5 years or so? He hardly had a career in the NFL played 4 years.

So the odds are extremely stacked against Alfred...I would think the Jays will want him to focus on one thing or another in the next two years or so...

The reality is the body cannot handle 2 pro sports IMO. You need that downtime to recover.

I was reading that Alfford is only 17 until July and already one of the top baseball talents. I just cringe at what this kid could become if he could focus on baseball.

The college football will stunt his growth in baseball as well. He will losing valuable development time. I was reading he's only committed to play 1 to 2 months of minor league baseball per summer. Such a shame.

He has a chance to be a special player in baseball (but not so in football) but it looks like it's going to get frittered away!

wamco
06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
guess there are no 4 sport stars in highschool or multisport stars in college

alistar
06-10-2012, 04:45 PM
guess there are no 4 sport stars in highschool or multisport stars in college

Of course not. The name John Elway is just a figment of people's imaginations.

Krylian
06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
The reality is the body cannot handle 2 pro sports IMO. You need that downtime to recover.

I was reading that Alfford is only 17 until July and already one of the top baseball talents. I just cringe at what this kid could become if he could focus on baseball.

The college football will stunt his growth in baseball as well. He will losing valuable development time. I was reading he's only committed to play 1 to 2 months of minor league baseball per summer. Such a shame.

He has a chance to be a special player in baseball (but not so in football) but it looks like it's going to get frittered away!

So you think focusing on baseball will make him a crap player?

jaysforever
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
So you think focusing on baseball will make him a crap player?

ha ha....