PDA

View Full Version : LeBron and his books?

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Has anyone noticed like the past couple weeks, at least, almost every time the cameras show LeBron or the media talks about him they mention that he is reading a book? I was watching some post game news coverage and the reporter said there wasn't much celebration on the Heat's behalf, and when the game was over LeBron went straight to his locker and started reading a book. They've also showed LeBron in the locker room by himself reading a book before a number of games this postseason. Hey, I have no problem with him being an avid reader. I just think it seems a little staged. I'm sure LeBron reads, but just the forced, awkward way the media mentions it and how the cameras conveniently catch him in the act makes me think it's staged. I also really don't have a problem with it if it is staged, because LeBron is one of the most influential people on the planet and there's nothing wrong with sending a positive message to the youth, staged or not.

Edit: I'm convinced it's staged. Right after I posted this, LeBron made a forced "I've just been doing a lot of reading" plug.

kjoke
06-08-2012, 12:06 AM
what book?

Corey
06-08-2012, 12:06 AM
He's been reading the Hunger Games series the past few weeks.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I'd be certain he's probably already reading and they probably just make a shot out of it or ask him to move so they can take a shot.

justinnum1
oh come on. its not crazy that someone reads a ****ing book.

Nick O
ever notice they drink out of Gatorade cups... and the arena's are all suspiciously named after companies..

MrfadeawayJB
06-08-2012, 12:08 AM
It's probably just the NBA trying to promote reading or something

ChitownBears22
06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
What an *******

JC_
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Has anyone noticed like the past couple weeks, at least, almost every time the cameras show LeBron or the media talks about him they mention that he is reading a book? I was watching some post game news coverage and the reporter said there wasn't much celebration on the Heat's behalf, and when the game was over LeBron went straight to his locker and started reading a book. They've also showed LeBron in the locker room by himself reading a book before a number of games this postseason. Hey, I have no problem with him being an avid reader. I just think it seems a little staged. I'm sure LeBron reads, but just the forced, awkward way the media mentions it and how the cameras conveniently catch him in the act makes me think it's staged. I also really don't have a problem with it if it is staged, because LeBron is one of the most influential people on the planet and there's nothing wrong with sending a positive message to the youth, staged or not.

Edit: I'm convinced it's staged. Right after I posted this, LeBron made a forced "I've just been doing a lot of reading" plug.

Haha this is funny. Believe it or not some people like to read books and if you're reading something you like, it's hard to put it down.

stawka
06-08-2012, 12:12 AM
LMAO @ Corey's sig. That's ****in funny.

And what's that book about?

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 12:12 AM

Oh, hey, it's a Heat fan who thinks everyone who mentions the Heat is hating on the Heat. If you read my post, I said I'm sure that LeBron is a reader and I have no problem with the media trying to "promote" reading, but it is just so forced and awkward that it seems obvious to me that it's staged. On ESPN and the post game interview they just randomly threw in a bunch of reading comments. It just seems staged to me. Once again, if it is staged, I have no problem with it--I actually think it's one of the best promotional things the NBA has ever done.

stawka
06-08-2012, 12:14 AM
By the name of the book, I assume it's a motivational book? To get him focused and fired up? I dunno, sounds like it. Someone correct me otherwise though

JC_
06-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Oh, hey, it's a Heat fan who thinks everyone who mentions the Heat is hating on the Heat. If you read my post, I said I'm sure that LeBron is a reader and I have no problem with the media trying to "promote" reading, but it is just so forced and awkward that it seems obvious to me that it's staged. On ESPN and the post game interview they just randomly threw in a bunch of reading comments. It just seems staged to me. Once again, if it is staged, I have no problem with it--I actually think it's one of the best promotional things the NBA has ever done.

You may be right, who knows but your first post made it seem like you couldn't fathom how a guy like Lebron could willingly read a book.

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 12:19 AM
You may be right, who knows but your first post made it seem like you couldn't fathom how a guy like Lebron could willingly read a book.

My first post was not like that. I said "I'm sure LeBron does read." My original post was an observation of mine that the way the media has been "promoting" LeBron's reading just seems unnatural. Like a really bad commercial where the actors say, "Hey what are those shoes you're wearing? I really like them," then awkwardly turn and look at the camera. I was wondering if anyone else felt this. That's all. Not hating on LeBron at all. Actually in a way praising LeBron for being the posterboy for such a good cause.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-08-2012, 12:21 AM
By the name of the book, I assume it's a motivational book? To get him focused and fired up? I dunno, sounds like it. Someone correct me otherwise though

You've never heard of the Hunger Games? There was a movie about it.

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 12:23 AM

Haha I can see how it can be confused for a motivational book.

THE GIPPER
06-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Hunger Games is an amazing book series so I understand why he's always reading it and wants to talk about it. I was the same way when I read it.

Westbrook36
06-08-2012, 12:26 AM
With so much media attention towards him..Maybe he sees it as a way to get away :shrug:

JC_
06-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Hopefully his favorite character doesn't die before next game

Corey
06-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Hunger Games is an amazing book series so I understand why he's always reading it and wants to talk about it. I was the same way when I read it.

Same for me. I wasn't too keen with the third book, but I really enjoyed HG and Catching Fire.

*Superman*
06-08-2012, 12:41 AM
LeBron can read? :speechless:

:p

avrpatsfan
06-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Wow, a human being is reading a book! Wow, it must be staged! It's not like Lebron is capable of being a normal person! *sarcasm*

It's amazing how ignorant this forum is. I'm a huge Celtics fan, but I have nothing but the utmost respect for Lebron.

stawka
06-08-2012, 12:43 AM

HAHAHA as pathetic as that sounds, I haven't heard of the book or the movie. I'm not into books, never have been. But I'm surprised I haven't even heard of the movie. What's it/they about?

THE GIPPER
06-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Same for me. I wasn't too keen with the third book, but I really enjoyed HG and Catching Fire.

Agreed but the first two are so good that I dont think its possible to read them without wanting to know the resolution lol

naps
06-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Why would it be staged?!?! People do a lot of things to focus, concentrate, and motivate themselves.

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Why would it be staged?!?! People do a lot of things to focus, concentrate, and motivate themselves.

Because of "how" it's being plugged. It just seems forced and unnatural. All I was doing was asking if anyone else noticed how forced and unnatural it seems. Stop all this "wow LeBron is reading a book :facepalm:"

Teeboy1487
06-08-2012, 01:04 AM
If it is staged, which I don't believe, it's actually positive. Maybe his influence can persuade more kids to read real books instead their facebooks.

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 01:09 AM
If it is staged, which I don't believe, it's actually positive. Maybe his influence can persuade more kids to read real books instead their facebooks.

It's definitely positive. It's better than showing players dancing in a night club after losing a Super Bowl.

gotoHcarolina52
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
The games are rigged. The players' hobbies are staged. So much artifice in this damn league.

naps
06-08-2012, 01:28 AM
HAHAHA as pathetic as that sounds, I haven't heard of the book or the movie. I'm not into books, never have been. But I'm surprised I haven't even heard of the movie. What's it/they about?

You serious bro? :laugh2:

One of the biggest movies of the year. And this book is very very famous.

naps
06-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Because of "how" it's being plugged. It just seems forced and unnatural. All I was doing was asking if anyone else noticed how forced and unnatural it seems. Stop all this "wow LeBron is reading a book :facepalm:"

Why would reading a book be forced and unnatural? Jesus :facepalm:

It's normal as ****. My goodness!

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Why would reading a book be forced and unnatural? Jesus :facepalm:

It's normal as ****. My goodness!

Not the act of reading the book. The way the reporters are awkwardly plugging the fact that they ran into LeBron reading. It just sounds forced.

JNoel
06-08-2012, 02:16 AM
He obviously reads to get his mind focused on the game which he did all yesterday and look at the result in today's game

PurpleJesus
06-08-2012, 02:25 AM
the OP is right...

Lebron probably does like to read, but when you see camera shots of him doing it, or him mentioning it, or the media mentioning it...it seems so forced.

naps
06-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Not the act of reading the book. The way the reporters are awkwardly plugging the fact that they ran into LeBron reading. It just sounds forced.

Cameras are allowed in the locker room. If they want to capture him reading a book LeBron has nothing to do with it. As part of pre-game locker room preparation players are captured listening to music on headphones with their eyes closed. How is it different than being captured reading a book?

KobeOwnSU
06-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Its for a commercial. he is trying to convince more teenagers not to drop out of school. Only problem is, I doubt any teenager gives a **** about what LeBron does or says.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Maybe it's the Phil Jackson method. Reading books to calm him down and help him cope and understand the troubles in his life and the philosophical meaning behind things that can help him see a different perspective of life on and off the court. :shrug:

That's why we're probably seeing him playing the most poised, control, high IQ basketball at the peak of his career in this postseason.

albertc86
06-08-2012, 06:00 AM
He's trying to be like Kobe. Kobe is an avid reader as well.

X12Celtics3
06-08-2012, 06:30 AM
I agree that it seems really forced and staged, but its certainly not a bad thing. If some kid will actually start reading books because they saw Lebron doing then this is a great idea.

Jroz
06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Nice thread..........................

mdlr52192
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM
If even one kid starts adopting reading as a pre and post game routine, then who cares?

I like the coverage of after the game:

"There was no celebration after this game, LeBron went and iced up and got taped, then went to read the book he was reading. He was reading The Hunger Games, but now he's reading something else"

ATX
06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
So now people are looking to hate on LeBron for reading books, lmfao. How low people will go. Truly pathetic...

theheatles
06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
He needs to start reading the Game of Thrones books for the finals, but he probably won't finish the 1st book by the time the finals is even over

hugepatsfan
06-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Everything Lebron does in his career seems staged and forced. That's part of why he's so dislikable. Nothing at all seems genuine about him. He's the type of guy that seems like he'll smile in your face than **** talk you behind your back. I don't know how he is as a person, but he doesn't give off the impression that he's a nice. No natural charisma at all - I can't think of a star athlete that's worse at it.

MagicHero3
06-08-2012, 10:00 AM
given lebrons education, he picked the right book... from the young adult section hahaha. let me see him reading something NOT thru the eyes of a teenage girl.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Everything Lebron does in his career seems staged and forced. That's part of why he's so dislikable. Nothing at all seems genuine about him. He's the type of guy that seems like he'll smile in your face than **** talk you behind your back. I don't know how he is as a person, but he doesn't give off the impression that he's a nice. No natural charisma at all - I can't think of a star athlete that's worse at it.

Yes, that's how Lebron actually is because that's what the media and his legal team provides.

I guess you know how he acts at home.

ATX
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
given lebrons education, he picked the right book... from the young adult section hahaha. let me see him reading something NOT thru the eyes of a teenage girl.

Yet your typing displays no more than an elementary grade level understanding of writing. Pot calling the kettle black much? Besides, what do you care what he reads? I haven't read the book, but I've heard it's pretty good. It's really petty to hate on him for reading. Sad really, and I'm actually embarrased as a fellow human being.

DenButsu
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
LMAO @ Corey's sig. That's ****in funny.

I know! There's a fitness forum?!?

j/k Corey :p

hugepatsfan
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Yes, that's how Lebron actually is because that's what the media and his legal team provides.

I guess you know how he acts at home.

I don't know how he acts at home, as I flat out said in the post you quoted. I'm sure you've met someone and said "this guy seems fake." I get that vibe from Lebron. That's all I'm saying. And since I'm never going to actually meet Lebron and chill in his home all I have to go by is the vibe I get in those press conferences/media clips. I'd rather see someone I get a good vibe from win and root for him over a guy I don't. Simple concept really.

MagicHero3
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Yet your typing displays no more than an elementary grade level understanding of writing. Pot calling the kettle black much? Besides, what do you care what he reads? I haven't read the book, but I've heard it's pretty good. It's really petty to hate on him for reading. Sad really, and I'm actually embarrased as a fellow human being.

lol wow i cant make a joke without some lebron nut-hugger defending him. get a sense of humor. its a forum, am i being graded for this? nope.

ATX
06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
lol wow i cant make a joke without some lebron nut-hugger defending him. get a sense of humor. its a forum, am i being graded for this? nope.

I'm not "Nut-hugging" LeBron. I'd say the exact same thing to anyone hating on any other player or person for reading. It just doesn't make any sense, and if anything just shakes my faith in my fellow human beings. The lows they will go to tear people down...

Raps18-19 Champ
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't know how he acts at home, as I flat out said in the post you quoted. I'm sure you've met someone and said "this guy seems fake." I get that vibe from Lebron. That's all I'm saying. And since I'm never going to actually meet Lebron and chill in his home all I have to go by is the vibe I get in those press conferences/media clips. I'd rather see someone I get a good vibe from win and root for him over a guy I don't. Simple concept really.

I'm not saying I don't get that vibe, but I'm not going to go out of my way to hate on him. I'm not that closed minded. If I don't know someone, I'd be willing to know them before making such concrete opinions.

And we both know that stuff like the press and media is clearly biased. Why even make such harsh opinion on it?

hugepatsfan
06-08-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm not saying I don't get that vibe, but I'm not going to go out of my way to hate on him. I'm not that closed minded. If I don't know someone, I'd be willing to know them before making such concrete opinions.

And we both know that stuff like the press and media is clearly biased. Why even make such harsh opinion on it?

I'm not going out of my way to hate him. I just want to see him lose. Is it so bad to root against an athlete because I don't like how he conducts himself?

MagicHero3
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm not "Nut-hugging" LeBron. I'd say the exact same thing to anyone hating on any other player or person for reading. It just doesn't make any sense, and if anything just shakes my faith in my fellow human beings. The lows they will go to tear people down...

well i made a joke teasing him and you defended him and took the joke seriously...thats nut hugging my friend. tearing him down? i can tease a grown man for reading a young adult book which is based on a love triangle in the eyes of a teenage girl. i can do that all day. especially if he's supposed to be a tough guy professional athlete. why do you care anyway? he just had a ridiculously amazing game! you should be wet in the panties today!

Raps18-19 Champ
06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm not going out of my way to hate him. I just want to see him lose. Is it so bad to root against an athlete because I don't like how he conducts himself?

It's a bit stupid in itself to cheer for failure against someone yet give others a blind eye on the situation. I wouldn't really have as big of a problem if you were doing it against all athletes who 'fit' the description of douche bag, though if you did that, you'd be cheering against most sports athletes in that case.

LongWayFromHome
06-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Its a story about children being put in a death ring to kill each other for the enjoyment of the rich and powerful.

You don't believe me do you?

Slade123
06-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Kobe is worse. He always acts like an *** and that whole rape thing.

J Dub8299
06-08-2012, 11:23 AM

I really don't car for Bron but yea i agree with you here haha!

JoeyBoy718
06-08-2012, 12:50 PM

ATX, dude, you're pathetic. The worst haters are the ones who think everyone else is a hater. If you read my original post, I said this is a good thing on LeBron's behalf. He should be applauded. I also said that LeBron probably is genuinely reading. I said it's the media who is awkwardly forcing the "candid" coverage of LeBron reading and constantly plugging his reading. It just seems unnatural. It's as if the NBA and ESPN found out LeBron had been reading a lot lately and wanted to cover it but make it seem candid. And if that is so, then it is not a bad thing at all. It's one of the most positive things they've shown an athlete doing in all of sports in a long time.

LA_Raiders
06-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I bet he has a magazine inside, I did not know he could read...

Raps18-19 Champ
06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
He'd still need to be able to read even if there was a magazine there, no?

Gram
06-08-2012, 01:09 PM
He's been reading the Hunger Games series the past few weeks.

Peeta? Who Peeta?

Corey
06-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Peeta? Who Peeta?

#TeamFinnick

0nekhmer
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
He was reading catching fire, which is a Great book.

Corey
06-08-2012, 02:01 PM
He was reading catching fire, which is a Great book.

He's finished Catching Fire.

Moved onto Mockingjay :)

808Nate
06-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Hes not reading, he wants people to think he is hungry for a title, its a series with the same fan base as twilight, just another stunt, no different than anything else he does.

sep11ie
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
He likes to break a mental sweat too.

Corey
06-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Let's leave the LeBron bashing to a minimum

TopsyTurvy
06-08-2012, 04:31 PM
If he were reading Pynchon, Kafka, Foster Wallace, Faulkner, or Bradbury (RIP) - I would be worried. He's reading The Hunger Games...

IndiansFan337
06-08-2012, 04:55 PM
He probably has a book campaign coming up where he will be promoting reading to children. :shrug:

Gram
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
LeBron James.