PDA

View Full Version : Article: Tracy McGrady the most popular NBA player in China

Fresno
06-07-2012, 09:19 PM
McGrady, who averaged a career low 16.1 minutes off the bench for the Atlanta Hawks this season, may be well past his 13 points in 33 seconds prime from decade-past. But as one part of the Immortal Holy Duo along with Allen Iverson, the two most popular post-Michael Jordan NBAers in China of all-time, he is still largely worshipped in the Middle Kingdom. Whereas AI mesmerized China with his sick handles and short-on-height, big-on-heart game, T-Mac became an icon not just because he was arguably the most talented player in the NBA for a time, but also because of his unrivaled accessibility.

The most famous of Yao Ming’s long line of Houston Rocket teammates, McGrady achieved legendary status among Chinese because he was on television and in print the most. During Yao’s prime with Houston, the Rockets essentially became China’s home team. Beat writers from Titan Sports Weekly, Basketball Pioneers and other major Chinese publications were all sent to the States to follow the team, and almost all of their games were broadcast live on CCTV-5 in the mornings for fans to watch. The reason for all of that was Yao, but because of McGrady’s superb basketball ability and the national exposure it received in China, a lot of Chinese became more infatuated with the moves of the silky smooth 6-7 swingman than of their post-up 7-6 center.

http://www.niubball.com/2012/06/tracy-mcgrady-still-the-man-in-china/

Check out a new beer commercial he is in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EiZpFlujHY

theheatles
06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
thanks to Yao

Raps18-19 Champ
06-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Was that actually him speaking Cantonese(?), because that sounded really fluent.

John Walls Era
06-07-2012, 09:29 PM
He might be the most popular, but Marbury is a god.

John Walls Era
06-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm starting to think Chronz and JB are chinese..

thekmp211
06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
ohhhhh china.

Kashmir13579
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I hope he made bank off that commercial.

Chronz
06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
They appreciate how he got the most out of Yao.

popo85
06-07-2012, 10:28 PM
After his NBA days he will join Marbury and Bonzi there

John Walls Era
06-07-2012, 10:35 PM
They appreciate how he got the most out of Yao.

UPRock
06-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Over Marbury? I don't believe it.

DR_1
06-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Did JB convince you to make this thread?

njnets
06-07-2012, 11:18 PM
not surprising at all. when you play with yao most of your career and your one of best nba players in the league at that time, yea, your gonna be popular in china.

Six-8-TheWizard
06-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Lol top comment on the commercial:

So fake...no way T-Mac can touch the rim anymore.

:laugh:

lakers4sho
06-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Was that actually him speaking Cantonese(?), because that sounded really fluent.

mandarin

Sadds The Gr8
06-08-2012, 12:39 AM

So fake...no way T-Mac can touch the rim anymore.
lol

King41
06-08-2012, 11:09 AM

made my day

BKLYNpigeon
06-08-2012, 11:21 AM
He's only the most popular there because, China wants T-Mac to play there next season. who cares.

Chronz
06-08-2012, 11:22 AM
What I love most is how they are allowed to show people drinking beers, USA dont allow that for some reason

sep11ie
06-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm starting to think Chronz and JB are chinese..

I lol'd

Hellcrooner
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
then people doubt how much power does media have in creating brainwashed fans.

thekmp211
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
uhhh crooner have you ever heard of china? homogenous society is just their thing. it has far less to do with brainwashing than you'd think.

dumb people make dumb conclusions based on dumb things, that has been true since man rode dinasaurs 5000 years ago. get with it, man.

i do love watching booze ads and seeing how close the actors come to taking a sip.

Hellcrooner
06-08-2012, 01:42 PM
uhhh crooner have you ever heard of china? homogenous society is just their thing. it has far less to do with brainwashing than you'd think.

dumb people make dumb conclusions based on dumb things, that has been true since man rode dinasaurs 5000 years ago. get with it, man.

i do love watching booze ads and seeing how close the actors come to taking a sip.

Ive BEEN to china.

Chronz
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
then people doubt how much power does media have in creating brainwashed fans.

What?

thekmp211
06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Ive BEEN to china.

so? i think it makes sense that, given no chinese start to gravitate to, chinese would embrace the next best thing and the guy they obviously heard the most about from their media.

i mean, i'd try that beer because t-mac endorsed it. t-mac is the man. how is that brainwashing?

Hellcrooner
06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
What?

give me a good reason why Tmac or Iverson should be more populat in china than Duncan, kobe, shaq, lebron etc.

All marketing, all flashy videos in tv, no substance.

Chronz
06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
give me a good reason why Tmac or Iverson should be more populat in china than Duncan, kobe, shaq, lebron etc.

All marketing, all flashy videos in tv, no substance.
Same reason they are more popular here in the US. Your average citizen can relate to AI far easier than a giant, hes closer to their size and displays tremendous heart.

Tmac was supported because of the love and respect he showed Yao, he was one of the first to embrace China and make himself easily accessible to their reporters. He got the best from Yao and it was obvious how important he was to the Rockets early in his career. They respect that.

Kobe is also revered in China.

I dont see how marketing plays a role, those players are only marketable because of the admiration people have for their games. Flash plays a role but you cant say the flash of their game means there is no substance to it. Tmac in his prime was absolutely breathtaking to watch, moreso than any other player Ive witnessed this era, he was flashy in some ways but he was also very productive. I didnt like him because a commercial told me to like him, I liked him because of his GAME. Same reason I dont like AI.

I did buy Tmac's shoes but only after I watched him play.

IndiansFan337
06-08-2012, 04:54 PM
I think this has been true for about 5 years or so. His athleticism was attractive to those Chinese fans who watched the Rockets because of Yao being on their team.

Fans can relate to athleticism, they can't really relate to being a 7-6 giant.

That is one reason why the top athletes typically receive the largest shoe contracts, whereas big men like Shaq, Tim Duncan, Yao, etc did not come close to matching the shoe contracts of LeBron, Kobe, MJ, etc.

3iverson3
06-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Tmac could have easily been one of the better players in the league if it wasn't for injuries. This guy was amazing and was a scoring demon.

thekmp211
06-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I think this has been true for about 5 years or so. His athleticism was attractive to those Chinese fans who watched the Rockets because of Yao being on their team.

Fans can relate to athleticism, they can't really relate to being a 7-6 giant.

That is one reason why the top athletes typically receive the largest shoe contracts, whereas big men like Shaq, Tim Duncan, Yao, etc did not come close to matching the shoe contracts of LeBron, Kobe, MJ, etc.

interesting.

Showtime Steve
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Article in china says Lin most popular NBA player in America.