PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to root for the Celtics!

ottograham14
06-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Not trying to troll but thought this was a good article on rooting for the Celtics tonight as a fan and as a Cleveland fan.

The reasons to root against Miami, which trails the Celtics, 3-2, with Game 6 Thursday in Boston, are not all specific to James skipping town.

1. Dwyane Wade's fake glasses.

Sounds nitpicky. But you're on the precipice of elimination and it's important to you to wear thick-rimmed glasses with no lenses as a nerd fashion statement? Yo Clark Kent, unless you think you're going to need a phone booth for a quick change, it says style over substance wasn't just a Heat shortcoming on the court Tuesday night.

2. Miami as a sports town.

After Game 7 of the 1997 World Series, some Marlins fans were running around the post-game party asking each other to name the second baseman. Not the Indians.' Their own. Miami didn't deserve that title. And the Marlins got another after that.

Based solely on the fact the Heat organization had to print up a fan guide on how to show support -- arrive before the game for starters -- please? Another NBA title, too?

View full sizeElise Amendola, Associated PressIf LeBron James was thinking, "What, Ryan Hollins is guarding me?", at least he recognizes the former Cavalier. How many Heat fans can say the same?

3. OK, so maybe Boston doesn't deserve more riches either.

But I bet you Celtics fans all know who Ryan Hollins is, and not because they synchronize their rest room and beer runs with his entrance into games.

4. LeBron's "not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven..." monologue at the pep rally when he promised multiple championships.

I mean, really. Shouldn't he have least started with "not one?" Nobody roots for Goliath, especially when Goliath grabs a microphone and tells you what a great thing it is to be Goliath.

5. If the Celtics had made similar boasts and LeBron had gone humbly to another city, I'd feel the same way about Boston.

Except Boston didn't. And the Celtics exhibit character traits you can relate to.

They play together. They don't listen when everyone says their better days are behind them. They aren't embarrassed to be caught on TV looking like they're listening to their coach.

"We had a rough first half," Kevin Garnett said of Game 5. "Doc kept saying to us, 'Stay with it. Stay with it.'"

The Celtics quote their coach. The Heat still don't know how to pronounce "Spoelstra."

6. Wade from the July 2010 pep rally: "I feel sorry for whoever gotta guard both of us."

Maybe that's why he disappeared in the first quarter in Game 5.

7. Again, James didn't go to Miami and tell the Heat fans, "I can only promise you we'll do everything in our power to bring another championship to town."

Instead, he said, "We're going to challenge each other in practice. And the way we're going to challenge each other to get better in practice, once the game starts, I mean, it's going to be easy."

Easy? He said easy?

8. After Game 5, Eric Spoelstra told reporters, "Our focus is to fight any kind of noise from the outside, or any human condition."

If you're as good as James and Wade told everyone they were, you shouldn't have to worry about shutting out the noise. They created it, the cheers and the boos. They should feed off it. If they crash short of the title again, it may get to a point where people begin to feel sorry for the Miami Heat.

Just kidding.

For now, a Clevelander can actually root for a team like Boston to eliminate the Heat.

And then root for it to get crushed in the NBA Finals.

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2012/06/reasons_to_root_for_the_celtic.html

John Walls Era
06-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Stupid points.

Are we rooting for the Celtics or just against the Heat? The latter is what all the points are for.

ewing
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Stupid points.

Are we rooting for the Celtics or just against the Heat? The latter is what all the points are for.

Both

gotoHcarolina52
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
All these points are inane, but #2 especially so.

This (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/files/2012/01/cc.jpg) still stings, Cleveland, doesn't it? :pity:

bigsams50
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I never really payed attention to their pep rally from a couple years ago. But damn, its making it hard for me to keep liking LeBron :/ This coming from a Huge LeBron James supporter

Chronz
06-07-2012, 03:13 PM
All true, Celtics are inspiring in how well they play together. Miami has horrible fans

But each team has redeeming qualities that makes them fun to cheer for, and both teams have despicable traits.

LGhost
06-07-2012, 03:15 PM
This (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/files/2012/01/cc.jpg) still stings, Cleveland, doesn't it? :pity:

who are you talking to?

gotoHcarolina52
06-07-2012, 03:19 PM
who are you talking to?

I still have faith you'll be able to figure it out. Don't let me down, LG! ;)

Teeboy1487
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I could never root for the Celtics, Ever!!!! You could not pay me to root for them.

LGhost
06-07-2012, 03:21 PM
I still have faith you'll be able to figure it out. Don't let me down, LG! ;)

there better not be any cavaliers fans in st. louis...

llemon
06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm rooting against Heat because I'm hoping their losing will dissuade players from conspiring to form superteams.

gotoHcarolina52
06-07-2012, 03:26 PM
there better not be any cavaliers fans in st. louis...

The article was published by Cleveland's The Plain Dealer. Evidently, the journalist who wrote it is still so butt hurt his beloved Indians fell to the Marlins in Game 7 of the 1997 Series, he feels the need to take a cheap shot at the Marlins' fans (yes, we do exist). Because that's never been done before.

daleja424
06-07-2012, 03:27 PM
who are you talking to?

I really really hope you are joking...

LGhost
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
The article was published by Cleveland's The Plain Dealer. Evidently, the journalist who wrote it is still so butt hurt his beloved Indians fell to the Marlins in Game 7 of the 1997 Series, he feels the need to take a cheap shot at the Marlins' fans (yes, we do exist). Because that's never been done before.

oh ---

This ****ing thread sucks! That whole list has nothing to do with the Celtics! It is a disgrace to the Celtic Tribe and I banish the OP from St. Louis! Get this crap out of here

Gritz
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
F em all

LGhost
06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
I really really hope you are joking...

well actually I wasn't

There isn't one Cleveland fan in here (unless the OP is a Cavs fan)

So I really really really wonder why you really really hoped I was joking

Mikeleafs
06-07-2012, 03:32 PM
LETS GO CELTICS!!!!

I wish the Raps had their kind of toughness!!! :(

ewing
06-07-2012, 03:32 PM

It is bad sports town. When the Knicks and Heat were a real rivally their would be as many Knick fans as Heat fans at playoff games.

Sneaky
06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I see Cleveland on link, im out.

gotoHcarolina52
06-07-2012, 03:38 PM
oh ---

This ****ing thread sucks! That whole list has nothing to do with the Celtics! It is a disgrace to the Celtic Tribe and I banish the OP from St. Louis! Get this crap out of here

I agree. Sad thing is, if Boston wins tonight, the entire conversation will be centered on the Heat's demise instead of on Boston's triumph. The Celtics have played one hell of a series. If they win, all of the credit should go to them. And rightfully so. KG has played out of his mind. Rondo has been equally brilliant. Pierce has had little fear going against LeBron and he hit that epic shot in Game 5. A shot for the ages. Even their role players have come up big at times (Pietrus, Dooling, even Daniels). And Doc has done a great job coordinating the attack. And yet if they knock the Heat out in 6, the narrative will largely be about the Miami Heat's grand experiment being an utter failure. Give it a rest, the Miami Heat aren't the center of the basketball universe. If the Celtics win, give them the credit they rightfully deserve. Talk about the Heat in the offseason. There'll be plenty of slow news days this summer to discuss Miami's demise.

So too here -- as inconceivable as it may be, some people actually like and respect the Boston Celtics and will be rooting for them tonight despite the fact they're going up against the Miami Heat, not simply because of it.

Cal827
06-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Well I think the refs read this before game 5 lol

llemon
06-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I agree. Sad thing is, if Boston wins tonight, the entire conversation will be centered on the Heat's demise instead of on Boston's triumph. The Celtics have played one hell of a series. If they win, all of the credit should go to them. And rightfully so. KG has played out of his mind. Rondo has been equally brilliant. Pierce has had little fear going against LeBron and he hit that epic shot in Game 5. A shot for the ages. Even their role players have come up big at times (Pietrus, Dooling, even Daniels). And Doc has done a great job coordinating the attack. And yet if they knock the Heat out in 6, the narrative will largely be about the Miami Heat's grand experiment being an utter failure. Give it a rest, the Miami Heat aren't the center of the basketball universe. If the Celtics win, give them the credit they rightfully deserve. Talk about the Heat in the offseason. There'll be plenty of slow news days this summer to discuss Miami's demise.

So too here -- as inconceivable as it may be, some people actually like and respect the Boston Celtics and will be rooting for them tonight despite the fact they're going up against the Miami Heat, not simply because of it.

You are free to view this series from any perspective you like.

I am entitled to view it as I want to.

BigBongTheory
06-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Not rooting for the Celtics, or anyone else the Heat play. I enjoy watching the Heat lose, I want them out of the Playoffs, at all times. But I'm not sitting behind the tv fist pumping when Danny Granger, George Hill, or Ray Allen, Pierce hits a shot. Turn on the game and the Heat are down 7 with a couple minutes left, That is what I like to see, The Heat losing. I'm a Hater, and damn proud of it.

YankeesR#2
06-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I could never root for the Celtics, Ever!!!! You could not pay me to root for them.

How can you be that young and still hate the Celtics so much?

You should talk to some of your older Laker fans, the ones who were around when the Celtics routinely beat the Lakers each year in the finals. What is even worse, the Celtics head coach, Red Auerbach, used to light up a cigar on the bench when he thought the game was won.

The Celtics beat the LA Lakers six times in the 60's, three of the series went seven games.

dh144498
06-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Besides the reason that I don't want the Heat to win, I just love watching Rondo running the celtics offense. This guy is impressive. All that being said I feel a little bad for Lebron, he's really been playing his heart out but the ends just don't meet with him.

ThunderousDemon
06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Not rooting for the Celtics, or anyone else the Heat play. I enjoy watching the Heat lose, I want them out of the Playoffs, at all times. But I'm not sitting behind the tv fist pumping when Danny Granger, George Hill, or Ray Allen, Pierce hits a shot. Turn on the game and the Heat are down 7 with a couple minutes left, That is what I like to see, The Heat losing. I'm a Hater, and damn proud of it.

I guess I choose this ^ :smoking:

Bigbadmoffo
06-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Probably stings less knowing if he can't win with this team he woula never won in Cleveland. Maybe they win one before Lechoke does:p

gotoHcarolina52
06-07-2012, 04:02 PM
You are free to view this series from any perspective you like.

I am entitled to view it as I want to.

I do not challenge your right to resort to schadenfreude; I merely lament that you (and many others) would choose to do so.

llemon
06-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I do not challenge your right to resort to schadenfreude; I merely lament that you (and many others) would choose to do so.

And why would you lament that?

I should suffer from the misfortunes Lebron, Wade & Bosh do.

Bigbadmoffo
06-07-2012, 04:06 PM

Celtics have heart but then again what team other then Miami doesn't? If celts win okc will sweep them proving that Miami will have to wait for okc to retire before having a chance.

Bigbadmoffo
06-07-2012, 04:08 PM
I guess I choose this ^ :smoking:

This but i pump my fist lol

RLundi
06-07-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm rooting for the Heat, and I hate the Heat.

That just demonstrates how much I loathe the Celtics.

gotoHcarolina52
06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
http://notbillwalton.lockerdome.com/media/1066834

That's a pretty stunning contrast.