PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Sweeping the First 2 rounds of the NBA Playoffs

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
In 2003, the NBA started going with a Best of 7 in the 1st rd (It was best of 5 before that).

Since then, only 3 teams have swept the first 2 rounds. And 2 of those 3 at the current moment ended up losing in the conference finals, because they went through a long time period where they were not challenged until the conference finals.

The 2009 Cleveland Cavaliers steamrolled in the first 2 rounds as they swept the Washington Wizards and Atlanta Hawks. They ended up losing in 6 of the ECF to the Orlando Magic despite having homecourt advantage. That is because they faced no resistance at all from the Wiz and Hawks, and the Magic were competitive.

The 2010 Orlando Magic steamrolled in the first 2 rounds as they swept the Charlotte Bobcats and Atlanta Hawks. They ended up losing in 6 of the ECF to the Boston Celtics despite having homecourt advantage.

The 2012 San Antonio Spurs steamrolled in the first 2 rounds as they swept the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers. The moment they faced tough competition like OKC, they now find themselves in a 3-2 deficit despite coming into the series with HCA.

Moral of the story, sweeping the first 2 rounds and being proclaimed NBA champions prematurely = FOOL'S GOLD.

MFFL==FML
06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
So is your solution to this "curse" to tank a game or two? :confused:

If I have a quarter and I get heads twice in a row followed by a tails on 2 different occasions, does that mean the quarter is "cursed" or is it a coincidence?

By the way, tell God, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny I said "hello".

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

Chronz
06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Coincidence

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-06-2012, 11:32 PM
2012 Spurs join 2009 Cavs and 2010 Magic in this club.

THE MTL
06-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I agree. Alot of the teams that get swept in the first 2 rounds are jokes and the winner gets no real experience or anxiety or a chance to actually prove themselves. And when the ECF/WCF finals come when there is a team that is some competition you dont know how to handle them.

greg_ory_2005
06-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Coincidence.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-07-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree. Alot of the teams that get swept in the first 2 rounds are jokes and the winner gets no real experience or anxiety or a chance to actually prove themselves. And when the ECF/WCF finals come when there is a team that is some competition you dont know how to handle them.

This post wins.

jam
06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
This is threadworthy.

In 2003, the NBA started going with a Best of 7 in the 1st rd (It was best of 5 before that).

Since then, only 3 teams have swept the first 2 rounds. And 2 of those 3 at the current moment ended up losing in the conference finals, because they went through a long time period where they were not challenged until the conference finals.

The 2009 Cleveland Cavaliers steamrolled in the first 2 rounds as they swept the Washington Wizards and Atlanta Hawks. They ended up losing in 6 of the ECF to the Orlando Magic despite having homecourt advantage. That is because they faced no resistance at all from the Wiz and Hawks, and the Magic were competitive.

The 2010 Orlando Magic steamrolled in the first 2 rounds as they swept the Charlotte Bobcats and Atlanta Hawks. They ended up losing in 6 of the ECF to the Boston Celtics despite having homecourt advantage.

The 2012 San Antonio Spurs steamrolled in the first 2 rounds as they swept the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers. The moment they faced tough competition like OKC, they now find themselves in a 3-2 deficit despite coming into the series with HCA.

Moral of the story, sweeping the first 2 rounds and being proclaimed NBA champions prematurely = FOOL'S GOLD.

DQL
06-07-2012, 12:13 AM

you forgot the 2005 Heat. They swept the Nets and Wizards in first 2 rounds and lost to Pistons in ECF

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-07-2012, 12:21 AM
you forgot the 2005 Heat. They swept the Nets and Wizards in first 2 rounds and lost to Pistons in ECF

Ah thank you, thank you, thank you sir. How did I forget!!!!

Yeah guys, add the 2010 Spurs to the 2005 Heat, 2009 Cavs and 2010 Magic as teams that have swept the first 2 rounds, only to lose in the conference finals despite having HCA.

Toxeryll
06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
theres no such thing as curse

Arch Stanton
06-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Yep

Kobes a Killer
06-07-2012, 12:37 AM

If I have a quarter and I get heads twice in a row followed by a tails on 2 different occasions, does that mean the quarter is "cursed" or is it a coincidence?

By the way, tell God, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny I said "hello".

Lame

GREATNESS ONE
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
It's energy. There's no luck. No wishes. There is no coincidences. Everything happens the way it's supposed to...

Chronz
06-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Lots of teams have been tested just the same and have gone on to lose. What difference does it make aside from the fact that your dealing with a smaller sample here?

Chronz
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Ah thank you, thank you, thank you sir. How did I forget!!!!

Yeah guys, add the 2010 Spurs to the 2005 Heat, 2009 Cavs and 2010 Magic as teams that have swept the first 2 rounds, only to lose in the conference finals despite having HCA.

2005 Heat was a better team than the 2006 version that won the title, the only difference was Wade and Shaq were playing with debilitating injuries. They tried to sit Shaq out for G6 with the hope that he would be better for G.7 Or maybe they sat Wade, I forget.

John Walls Era
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
2/3 times ever and its a curse? Believing in any curse is foolish, thinking this is a curse is idiotic.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
2/3 times ever and its a curse? Believing in any curse is foolish, thinking this is a curse is idiotic.

I made the thread before the Spurs got eliminated, and I left out that the 05 Heat. So actually, it's 4/4 times now that teams who swept the first 2 rounds ended up losing in the conference finals, despite having HCA. So no, the notion is not idiotic, but I must say, not reading any of the posts after my OP and just going with the 2/3 statistic and not thinking things through and in turn, invalidating my notion is probably even more idiotic in itself.

John Walls Era
06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
I made the thread before the Spurs got eliminated, and I left out that the 05 Heat. So actually, it's 4/4 times now that teams who swept the first 2 rounds ended up losing in the conference finals, despite having HCA. So no, the notion is not idiotic, but I must say, not reading any of the posts after my OP and just going with the 2/3 statistic and not thinking things through and in turn, invalidating my notion is probably even more idiotic in itself.

no still not as idiotic at thinking theres a curse.

Stinkyoutsider
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure if it's fools gold, but teams in the future need to keep this in the back of their mind and not become a part of the group...

Blitzbolt
06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I told everyone THE SPURS HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED but no one listen.

LongWayFromHome
06-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Craziest part of this post lol.

Bobcats once made the playoffs!!!

JordansBulls
06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Coincidence

I think it is because they had no games they were really tested in until they made the Conference finals in all cases.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-08-2012, 08:02 PM
I think it is because they had no games they were really tested in until they made the Conference finals in all cases.

Neither were the 05 Heat, 09 Cavs and 2010 Magic.

tyfreaks brotha
06-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Well there is no real way to get out of it then according to your post. Since they have no competition, they're expecting an easy ride after sweeping two teams. Your on to something, but I don't think the Spurs were thinking this was gonna be an easy ride, maybe they just came into the series unprepared, but even that doesn't sound like the Spurs.