PDA

View Full Version : If KD wins the championship and Finals MVP...

Longhornfan1234
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
will he surpass LeBron as the best player in the NBA?

Longhornfan1234
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I want to see how people rate championships. I still would consider LeBron the best.

bucketss
06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
idk but people will start riding his nuts hard if he does claiming they were okc fans since they were the sonics

LongIslandIcedZ
06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I think Durant would become the second best player in the league. If he isn't there already

Chronz
06-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Like I said in the countless other threads. It depends on how we wins the Finals MVP. Frankly his run to the Finals (if he gets there) was less impressive than the run Bron had last year but if he blows up MJ style in the Finals then theres not much you can argue can you. If he wins the Finals MVP in any fashion less than those truly dominant forces who have come before him (Shaq, MJ, Duncan), then I dont think he wants to claim the throne. Having the better team doesnt make him the better player on its own.

justinnum1
06-06-2012, 02:05 PM
yes.

PleaseBeNice
06-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Helll nooo

--23--
06-06-2012, 02:12 PM
I picked Durant as the best player in the league from the start of the season, so I'll stick with that whether he wins a championship or not.

dh144498
06-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Lebron is the better all around player. Durant will still be 2nd best player in the league if he wins a FMVP this year (unless he goes berserk and puts up Jordan-esque numbers). He'll just have a better resume than Lebron and will probably be ahead of him in the all-time list.

Agar81
06-06-2012, 02:21 PM
He already is better, IMO.

KnicksorBust
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm as guilty of speculating on results as anybody but at this point we're so close to the finals can't we just wait another week and a half for this thread. :)

What's next? "If LeBron leads the Heat to a win in Game 6 does he pass Elgin Baylor" thread?

krazylegz
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
durant can score from anywhere on the court,where as 'bron STILL has issues with his jumper and his post game STILL needs work

ewmania
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Like I said in the countless other threads. It depends on how we wins the Finals MVP. Frankly his run to the Finals (if he gets there) was less impressive than the run Bron had last year but if he blows up MJ style in the Finals then theres not much you can argue can you. If he wins the Finals MVP in any fashion less than those truly dominant forces who have come before him (Shaq, MJ, Duncan), then I dont think he wants to claim the throne. Having the better team doesnt make him the better player on its own.

i disagree, OKC had a way harder task this year than miami did last year

Miami beat philly (young low IQ team)
Boston ( injured team )
Chicago (un experienced team)

OKC
Dallas ( contending champions )
Lakers (going against arguable the best player in the league, top 10 of all time)
and if they beat the spurs the best team in the league

BobbyHillSwag
06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
he's not better already? 0_o

FreakaNashur
06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Not exactly.

Dwade has a ring and a finals mvp as well. and lebron is still better

i mean durant is already one of the best in the nba, if not the best. just not the greatest.

marvILLous
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Not exactly.

Dwade has a ring and a finals mvp as well. and lebron is still better

i mean durant is already one of the best in the nba, if not the best. just not the greatest.

LOL this makes no sense

Teeboy1487
06-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't know. I have to wait and see what happens.

Meaze_Gibson
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
No Lie I had KD as fifth best starting this year. (Kobe, Bron, Wade, Rose,) due to his inability at the time to make others better. This year he has defended and passed the ball much better and seems to know when to defer to teammates and when to takeover. If he wins with the averages close to 28, 6, 5, 1.5 st, 1.4 blocks as he has this series, I have no problem giving him the best player in game title.

justinnum1
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
i have no problem with someone calling KD the best player in the game

tredigs
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Boston ( injured team )

OKC
Lakers (going against arguable the best player in the league, top 10 of all time)

I think he's talking about the run from a personal standpoint, not the teams. But the teams they're facing absolutely should be taken accounted for regardless of which of the two Chronz meant there. And OKC's run this year - especially if they face off against Miami in the finals - will be one of the toughest in NBA history. I'm struggling to think of one that was tougher off the top of my head. Hopefully they get there, and hopefully they pull through if they do. That will be impressive as all hell.

And if they both make the finals and Durant outplays Lebron? Then yes, Durant will be proven to be the better player. If you consistently can't keep up and/or raise your level of play in the finals and a consensus top 3 player does, then he is better than you.

Mixeditup1
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
The only real knock on LBJ is the way he finishes IMO. He's a better defender than KD for sure. But KD has that scorers mentality, he takes the last shot and people remember that kind of stuff.

Not saying they don't remember Bron's... But when you put up big numbers and win because of a clutch shot in the final seconds, I feel people tend to remember that a little bit more.

effen5
06-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I'd take Durante right now, that guy is balling while closing out games

lakerboy
06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
KD is out of his mind. He's like a young Kobe, and maybe even better.

Becks2307
06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
hell yes. Durant will zoom past lebron if he wins the finals mvp and chip

airronijordan
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I already have Durant as the best player

Raph12
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Short answer; no.

rocket
06-06-2012, 03:09 PM
No, LeBron will still be better than him.

1.LeBron
2. KD

Others may disagree.

bucketss
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
and.. the durant hype has begun

AntiG
06-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Durant already was every bit as good as LeBron. They are basically 1A and 1B, regardless of championships.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2012, 03:36 PM
no, he doesn't. Not unless he goes completely bonkers (much better than he has been) will it even be a discussion. Harden/Westbrook/Ibaka are killing it these playoffs as well.

justinnum1
06-06-2012, 03:39 PM
no, he doesn't. Not unless he goes completely bonkers (much better than he has been) will it even be a discussion. Harden/Westbrook/Ibaka are killing it these playoffs as well.

Very true. Durant has a lot more help than lebron, thats not even debatable.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duranke01&y1=2012&p2=jamesle01&y2=2012

LeBron is still outplaying Durant pretty easily when you also factor in his defense. But yet again, his teammates are not getting it done. Goes to show what happens when you decide to build around 2 top 5 players, another top 30 player, and garbage. When one of those good players gets hurt, or doesn't play well, you get exposes.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Very true. Durant has a lot more help than lebron, thats not even debatable.

It's not even close with the way Duran't help is playing. All things even, ie, if Wade were Wade and Bosh healthy, I don't think it would be much difference, but that isn't the case.

Baller1
06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Lebron will always be the best basketball player.

But if Durant wins a championship this season as well as Finals MVP, I feel that he will be the best all-around individual in the game today (leadership, clutch, numbers, accolades, consistency, etc.). Basically, Durant will be the most valuable individual in the league.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Boston ( injured team )

OKC

Yeah but he already stated... having the better team, doesn't make you a better player. Statistically LeBron is still better. Chauncey Billups is a better post player and better shooter then LeBron. Doesn't make him better.

Lol... I'd love to hear your argument, on how Kobe is "arguably the best player in the league"

justinnum1
06-06-2012, 03:48 PM
It's not even close with the way Duran't help is playing. All things even, ie, if Wade were Wade and Bosh healthy, I don't think it would be much difference, but that isn't the case.

agree. Its not over, but wade and bosh need some epic games tomorrow night for this series to continue.

RLundi
06-06-2012, 03:51 PM
No, LeBron still does more than any other player in the league.

Meaze_Gibson
06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah but he already stated... having the better team, doesn't make you a better player. Statistically LeBron is still better. Chauncey Billups is a better post player and better shooter then LeBron. Doesn't make him better.

Lol... I'd love to hear your argument, on how Kobe is "arguably the best player in the league"

Stats can be misleading though. For example, game one of Spurs series James Harden had 19 pts, was 7-17, and was 5-9 from three. Decent game to most but in reality he played terrible. Similarly, Lebron can have a 30 pt, 10bd series and still not play up to standard because when his team needed him most, he wasn't there. Stats can tell u so much without context. One thing about Playoff basketball is that games will be close. With that said, who do you trust more in close games?

King41
06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
lebron still > KD

dtmagnet
06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
No, Lebron is still a better player either way.

basketfan4life
06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duranke01&y1=2012&p2=jamesle01&y2=2012

LeBron is still outplaying Durant pretty easily when you also factor in his defense. But yet again, his teammates are not getting it done. Goes to show what happens when you decide to build around 2 top 5 players, another top 30 player, and garbage. When one of those good players gets hurt, or doesn't play well, you get exposes.

I too think LBJ is the best in the game, but i give a lot of credit to Durant about his teammates plays too, not so much with lbj. The style of play matters and durant is a perfect fit for any player in the league.

theheatles
06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
he would close the massive gap but LeBron would still be best, Durant needs some more proving to do

Hawkeye15
06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I too think LBJ is the best in the game, but i give a lot of credit to Durant about his teammates plays too, not so much with lbj. The style of play matters and durant is a perfect fit for any player in the league.

Oh Durant has established himself as the clear cut #2 player in the NBA this season imo. He just simply doesn't have the same effect on either side that LeBron does.

Driven
06-06-2012, 04:26 PM
durant can score from anywhere on the court,where as 'bron STILL has issues with his jumper and his post game STILL needs work
LeBron does everything else.

TheIlladelph16
06-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Stats can be misleading though. For example, game one of Spurs series James Harden had 19 pts, was 7-17, and was 5-9 from three. Decent game to most but in reality he played terrible. Similarly, Lebron can have a 30 pt, 10bd series and still not play up to standard because when his team needed him most, he wasn't there. Stats can tell u so much without context. One thing about Playoff basketball is that games will be close. With that said, who do you trust more in close games?

The question here is not: Who would I rather have closing out games?. If that were the question, I could probably name at least 10+ players I would rather have taking the final shot than Lebron. The topic at hand is whether or not Durant is the best player after hypothetically winning these accolades and the answer is no. NO ONE does more for their team than Lebron does. If he did not do what he does throughout the first 3 quarters, the Heat would get blown out constantly with their role players and bench. Durant will always be a far better shooter/pure scorer, but that does not make you the best player in the NBA.

Driven
06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
The games wouldn't be close without Lebron. I think it's super dumb how people think the end of the game is so much more important than any other part.

mdm692
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
The games wouldn't be close without Lebron. I think it's super dumb how people think the end of the game is so much more important than any other part.

Because the end of the game decides the final score maybe that's why :facepalm:. It's about who shows up in the 4th to carry the team. Anyways if you're going to judge the best player by the standard of who is the best stat stuffer then Lebron is your guy. AS OF RIGHT NOW, if you're going to judge the best player in the game by the by the standard of who puts his team on his back and just says "I AM GOING TO WIN THIS FOR US AND YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT" then KD is your guy. These finals have really shown the world who truly is the best player in the league anybody not willing to accept KD is just a homer or hater.

JWO35
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
He already is better, IMO.

This

BklynKnicks3
06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Melo > durant give melo wb n harden iblocka. Lebron dont count coward fear of big moments u join wade and still dont win u are a complete clown

EYDI819
06-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Melo > durant give melo wb n harden iblocka. Lebron dont count coward fear of big moments u join wade and still dont win u are a complete clown

isnt that the same as melo joining amare and not making it the first round? LOL

mdm692
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
isnt that the same as melo joining amare and not making it the first round? LOL

In his defense he hasn't had a healthy team since he joined NY I would love to see what the Knicks can do with a healthy squad. Starting 5 of Lin/Shump/Melo/Stat/Chandler is pretty good specially if Shump improves on his jump shot.

JordansBulls
06-06-2012, 04:56 PM

Really depends on how well he plays and what happens in this Boston and Miami series, If Miami loses this series it will be 4 years in a row where Lebron has lost with HCA.

In effect though it is a lose lose situation for him. If he loses to Boston that would even be worse and if he loses to Durant then it would mean Lebron is 0-3 in the finals. Whatever the case the only way Lebron can win here is by winning the title, anything else is a lose lose scenario for him.

Toxeryll
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
he already is

EYDI819
06-06-2012, 05:01 PM
In his defense he hasn't had a healthy team since he joined NY I would love to see what the Knicks can do with a healthy squad. Starting 5 of Lin/Shump/Melo/Stat/Chandler is pretty good specially if Shump improves on his jump shot.

and has miami been healthy the whole time? If knicks have some people hurt, there are players to step up because they are pretty deep as davis, jr, landry in your bench. that bench is actually better than all of the miami's bench. i am not a miami fan by any chance, what i am just saying is when you say somebody is a clown by joining with wade, better look at your team first as your team is actually deeper and he joined an allstar in amare. so does that make melo a worse clown because he didnt even make the 2nd round of playoffs? :facepalm:

EYDI819
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Really depends on how well he plays and what happens in this Boston and Miami series, If Miami loses this series it will be 4 years in a row where Lebron has lost with HCA.

In effect though it is a lose lose situation for him. If he loses to Boston that would even be worse and if he loses to Durant then it would mean Lebron is 0-3 in the finals. Whatever the case the only way Lebron can win here is by winning the title, anything else is a lose lose scenario for him.

i just want him to be a ballhog for once... go average 22+ shots a night and just bully people around. he is like a pitbull with tutu's on. you know his capability but afraid to show it!

mdm692
06-06-2012, 05:06 PM
and has miami been healthy the whole time? If knicks have some people hurt, there are players to step up because they are pretty deep as davis, jr, landry in your bench. that bench is actually better than all of the miami's bench. i am not a miami fan by any chance, what i am just saying is when you say somebody is a clown by joining with wade, better look at your team first at your team is actually deeper and and he joined an allstar in amare. so does that make melo a worse clown because he didnt even make the 2nd round of playoffs? :facepalm:

:laugh: EPIC FAIL!!! Miami was healthy when they faced the Knicks this year with the exception of Mike Miller(I guess he's the reason Miami was banged up:eyebrow:). The Knicks were without Lin, Shump tore his ACL in the first game, Stat lost the fight vs the fire extinguisher and Davis destroyed his MCL, ACL and Patella when it seemed as if the Knicks were going to try to make a run. Last year they faced the Celtics with a less deeper team with an injured Billups who was out and an injured Stat.

greg_ory_2005
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Naw I'd still consider Lebron as the best player in the league. KD would definitely be 2nd though.

Bruno
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
if he dominates the finals, I'd have no problem giving the nod to Durant.

If Durant kills it in the finals while being guarded by LBJ?

EYDI819
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
:laugh: EPIC FAIL!!! Miami was healthy when they faced the Knicks this year with the exception of Mike Miller(I guess he's the reason Miami was banged up:eyebrow:). The Knicks were without Lin, Shump tore his ACL in the first game, Stat lost the fight vs the fire extinguisher and Davis destroyed his MCL, ACL and Patella when it seemed as if the Knicks were going to try to make a run. Last year they faced the Celtics with a less deeper team with an injured Billups who was out and an injured Stat.

:facepalm: so bosh being out is not a factor for knicks fans when lebron and wade dont make it into the finals? but when the knicks have injured players, it is a LEGIT reason all of a sudden? you make me laugh by saying that. heat are getting criticized by not making it to the finals (if they dont make it) but not considering the bosh injury a LEGIT reason but knicks fans reason and complain about their injuries in the playoffs:facepalm:

EYDI819
06-06-2012, 05:14 PM

and for the record, i am not just talking about playoffs. look at your roster and look at your record. does that match at all in a weak eastern conference?

JordansBulls
06-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I just hope KD doesn't get cocky if they beat the Spurs and end up playing the Celtics.

mdm692
06-06-2012, 05:57 PM
and for the record, i am not just talking about playoffs. look at your roster and look at your record. does that match at all in a weak eastern conference?

Once again EPIC FAIL!!! You stated that Melo never got out of the first round as a knick and I provided a valid point which you took out of context and then started to blabber about a bunch of nonsense that is irrelevant. Bosh being out does hurt MIA alot. I also said knicks healthy could be very interesting. Once again I will repeat first year in NY billups and stat were out. This year no lin, shump, davis and stat was banged up vs a healthy Miami team. That is in response to you talking crap about Melo's tenure as a knick. Lastly the knicks aren't my team so once again irrelevant. Check mate you can't stay on topic gtfo.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM

No matter how you slice it LeBron is still better then Durant.

The heat can go 0-82 and and the Thunder can go 82-0, with they're current stats LeBron is better. I know it's not always about stats... But when your comparing players, it is. Who I trust more in a late game situation is irrelevant...

Back to what I said earlier... Chauncey has a ring, Finals MVP, and even given the nickname "Mr. Big Shot" for a reason, He's still not better then LeBron.

JC_
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM

Boston ( injured team )

OKC

Are you serious? Last year's Celtics and Bulls would have both given OKC a run for their money. Just because the Heat didn't take 7 games to get to the finals last year doesn't mean the competition was bad.

Meaze_Gibson
06-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Games were close last year without Lebron showing up in needed Finals games so I fail to see your point. Fact is, a good defensive team can keep games close despite shooting bad from field. Boston just proved that. The key then is having someone to trust to close. In my view, if KD wins this in the same fashion he has played this series, he will have become a more valuable player.

basketfan4life
06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
No matter how you slice it LeBron is still better then Durant.

The heat can go 0-82 and and the Thunder can go 82-0, with they're current stats LeBron is better. I know it's not always about stats... But when your comparing players, it is. Who I trust more in a late game situation is irrelevant...
Back to what I said earlier... Chauncey has a ring, Finals MVP, and even given the nickname "Mr. Big Shot" for a reason, He's still not better then LeBron.

To me, it's LeBron. The bolded parts? you are so wrong on so many levels.

JC_
06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
KD's a better shooter and more clutch when the last shot needs to be taken to win a game but there are so many reasons why Lebron is the better player, finals mvp or not.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-06-2012, 06:27 PM
To me, it's LeBron. The bolded parts? you are so wrong on so many levels.

Prove me wrong then.

We might as well pronounce Robert Horry the King of the World. He's got, what? 7 rings? Great shooter, especially in the clutch! Great teams he was a part of.

I can't even post in here sometimes, because of how ridiculous people are. Rings = Everything. Personal accolades have no relevance if you have no rings. Lol. Even when talkin about INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS.

kobebabe
06-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Give me Durant anyday of the week over Lebron! He has that killer instinct that seem to elude Bron

MickeyMgl
06-06-2012, 06:34 PM

No. Championships are important, but one championship doesn't outweigh 3 MVPs when talking about best player.

willabeast77
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Nope, LeBron will still be the better overall basketball player. If doesn't matter if the Thunder somehow end up wining the title this season with Durant winning Finals MVP and having one of the greatest Finals series of alltime, while Miami not making the Finals. Stats prove it more than accomplishments and rings.

Meaze_Gibson
06-06-2012, 06:42 PM
KD's a better shooter and more clutch when the last shot needs to be taken to win a game but there are so many reasons why Lebron is the better player, finals mvp or not.

If you put this Lebron on a healthy Thunder team, I don't think they would be in this position with the many close games Thunder have had. If you put this Durant on a healthy Heat team, I think they would have won the chip last year. That means something. Durant fits most teams because he can put ball in basket in a variety of ways, defend multiple positions, above average passer, clutch player, and hit his free throws. Bron needs a team more custom fit and even then games will still be close so there is no telling which Bron you will get.

On pure numbers Bron appears better. When you include contexts and intangibles it is a lot closer than people think.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
If you put this Lebron on a healthy Thunder team, I don't think they would be in this position with the many close games Thunder have had. If you put this Durant on a healthy Heat team, I think they would have won the chip last year. That means something. Durant fits most teams because he can put ball in basket in a variety of ways, defend multiple positions, above average passer, clutch player, and hit his free throws. Bron needs a team more custom fit and even then games will still be close so there is no telling which Bron you will get.

On pure numbers Bron appears better. When you include contexts and intangibles it is a lot closer than people think.

I can agree with that. I do think it's getting closer. But, the Oklahoma City Thunder winning a championship doesn't make Durant a better basketball player then LeBron.

MagicBucsSox
06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
I can agree with that. I do think it's getting closer. But, the Oklahoma City Thunder winning a championship doesn't make Durant a better basketball player then LeBron.

Nor Dwight Chris Paul DRose

Chronz
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Boston ( injured team )

OKC
OKC maybe, but Durant didnt. Bron went through a gauntlet of the leagues best defenses, carried a bigger burden on both ends for 44MPG.

Vinylman
06-06-2012, 06:58 PM
i doubt Durant gives a **** about something that will always will be opinion based...

what i am certain he does care about is winning a title ...

let Lebron win the MVP's and best player polls... who cares

Meaze_Gibson
06-06-2012, 06:59 PM

I feel you. No doubt that Bron is a more skilled player than Durant. But if you don't know when to use certain skills, does that make you a better player or just more talented? I guess I'm coming to realize that most skilled does not necessarily mean better player. Sad thing is I am a Heat fan and I have these questions in my head lol

Chronz
06-06-2012, 07:00 PM

How so? Durant has teammates that thrive without him like Harden, he has Ibaka and Perk who can imprint the game without even touching the ball. Collison has the intangibles mastered, Thabo is a hellacious defender and his second in command is arguably on par with Wade. Basically Durant has a perfect squad around him. He has much better spacing and lanes created for him than Bron does.

JC_
06-06-2012, 07:06 PM
How so? Durant has teammates that thrive without him like Harden, he has Ibaka and Perk who can imprint the game without even touching the ball. Collison has the intangibles mastered, Thabo is a hellacious defender and his second in command is arguably on par with Wade. Basically Durant has a perfect squad around him. He has much better spacing and lanes created for him than Bron does.

This.

Hangtime
06-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't quite say he's better overall than Lebron just yet. But to be honest, at the end of the game with 5 sec to go, I have a greater fear of Durant with the ball in his hands than Lebron. Durant is just money.

The Jokemaker
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I'd say he is better than Lebron. Definitely already a better team player, less egotistical, and actually seems to care about winning a championship. Lebron may be more talented but being talented doesn't make you the best player. I'll take Durant 7 out of 7 days a week, he is the future face of the NBA. Other guys like Dwight should look to him on how to act as an elite player in the NBA.

Hangtime
06-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Couldn't agree more. Better complementary parts around Durant. Look at the poor spacing and inability to get open looks at the end of close Heat games. I still don't know what the hell Chalmers was doing at the end of that one game let alone the play that was drawn up.

lakerboy
06-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Seriously? You're going to bring up Durant having better teammates?

Wade > Westbrook
Bosh = Harden
He's got Ibaka and Perk but you have Haslem, Mike Miller, Cole and Chalmers. He's got D-Fish. I think this Lebron excuse is getting lame.

Oh and yeah, Scott Brooks started as a video coordinator too.

LBJ has been in this league and in the playoffs too long not to have any championship. It will be very very embarrassing if KD wins before he does.

NYMetros
06-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Wade > Westbrook
Bosh = Harden
He's got Ibaka and Perk but you have Haslem, Mike Miller, Cole and Chalmers. He's got D-Fish. I think this Lebron excuse is getting lame.

:facepalm:

Bruno
06-06-2012, 07:35 PM
i doubt Durant gives a **** about something that will always will be opinion based...

what i am certain he does care about is winning a title ...

let Lebron win the MVP's and best player polls... who cares

totally.

that's why "who had the better career" is the main criteria behind "who are the best players". peak dominance might carry weight here on forms with nerds and geeks like ourselves, but in the media and with the bulk of population, it comes down to greatest career (things that can be measured like Championships, finals mvps, mvps, all-star selections, all nba team totals, and cumulative statical dominance (totals)).

who's actually the best can be debated usually. but who walks away with the greatest accolades/career accomplishments is usually a bit more cut and dry.

THE MTL
06-06-2012, 07:51 PM
People really OVERRATE championships. How the hell does that make Kevin Durant a better basketball player? So if since he wins a championship, he all of a sudden becomes better than Lebron? His all around skills get THAT much better and Lebron gets worse?

Vinylman
06-06-2012, 08:03 PM
People really OVERRATE championships. How the hell does that make Kevin Durant a better basketball player? So if since he wins a championship, he all of a sudden becomes better than Lebron? His all around skills get THAT much better and Lebron gets worse?

it is all subjective... using stats alone no one is better than lebron...

unfortunately, stats are only a piece of the puzzle because if they were all that mattered we would just annoint the Heat the Paper (stats) Champions every year...

Chronz
06-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Wade > Westbrook
Bosh = Harden

LBJ has been in this league and in the playoffs too long not to have any championship. It will be very very embarrassing if KD wins before he does.

Bosh hasnt been playing tho, hence my post. With Bosh I agree its basically negligible.

*Superman*
06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Not better then LeBron, but a better career so far for sure.

Cal827
06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Chronz, wins.

Flawless victory.

/ thread :D

beliges
06-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Certainly hed be the better player. Sorry but individual numbers by themselves dont make you the better player. Winning makes one a greater player.

willabeast77
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM

A better career? How? LeBron would still have more years over Durant with better numbers and more accomplishments. 1 ring wouldn't put Durant over LeBron career-wise, least not to me.

beliges
06-06-2012, 09:08 PM
A better career? How? LeBron would still have more years over Durant with better numbers and more accomplishments. 1 ring wouldn't put Durant over LeBron career-wise, least not to me.

If Durant wins Finals MVP, he would be the better scorer, better clutch performer, better post-season performer. They are not that far off numbers wise. Certainly a championship would put Durant over Lebron.

albertc86
06-06-2012, 09:10 PM
If Durant wins a title before LeBron, I think the NBA will slowly lose its man crush on LeBron and shift it to KD.

*Superman*
06-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Certainly hed be the better player. Sorry but individual numbers by themselves dont make you the better player. Winning makes one a greater player.

If I had the option I would still take LeBron over Durant. He dominates the stat sheet in many categories, therefore I feel he is the better player. I don't think Durant could do as much damage as LeBron used to do with that Cavs roster.

To me it does, as gifted as LeBron is, if he can't figure out a way to win a championship with Wade and Bosh, then that is a huge disappointment and he should be seen as the leader of that team as he is better then the other two. Also Durant is only 23 years old, his game is still improving and he isn't leaving the league anytime soon, he is on the better track if he can win his ring and Finals MVP this year.

beliges
06-06-2012, 09:19 PM
If I had the option I would still take LeBron over Durant. He dominates the stat sheet in many categories, therefore I feel he is the better player. I don't think Durant could do as much damage as LeBron used to do with that Cavs roster.

To me it does, as gifted as LeBron is, if he can't figure out a way to win a championship with Wade and Bosh, then that is a huge disappointment and he should be seen as the leader of that team as he is better then the other two. Also Durant is only 23 years old, his game is still improving and he isn't leaving the league anytime soon, he is on the better track if he can win his ring and Finals MVP this year.

The only big difference in their numbers is that Lebron averages a few more assists. Durant is the better scorer, Lebron is the better passer and rebounder. Durant is much more superior in the crunch time while Lebron is the better defender. However, depending on how this season ends, Durant could be a champion. That means he has that unmeasurable aspect of winning. Again, people tend to focus sooooo much on individual stats. Theres something that needs to be said, if the Heat lose, about Lebron's failures in the playoffs. Especially given that Lebron plays for the most stacked starting 5 in the entire league. No excuse for the Heat not to win. They were the favorites before the season began, they were the favorites as the season began and they were the favorites when the playoffs began. Thats because they have as much or more talent on their team than anyone else. No excuses. If Durant wins, its time to give him his dues.

*Superman*
06-06-2012, 09:26 PM
The only big difference in their numbers is that Lebron averages a few more assists. Durant is the better scorer, Lebron is the better passer and rebounder. Durant is much more superior in the crunch time while Lebron is the better defender. However, depending on how this season ends, Durant could be a champion. That means he has that unmeasurable aspect of winning. Again, people tend to focus sooooo much on individual stats. Theres something that needs to be said, if the Heat lose, about Lebron's failures in the playoffs. Especially given that Lebron plays for the most stacked starting 5 in the entire league. No excuse for the Heat not to win. They were the favorites before the season began, they were the favorites as the season began and they were the favorites when the playoffs began. Thats because they have as much or more talent on their team than anyone else. No excuses. If Durant wins, its time to give him his dues.

The only thing I go back and look at though is that OKC has the better TEAM. Sure James has Wade and Bosh (who has been out pretty much the whole series), but after that they have a pretty crappy roster. You look at OKC's roster, after Durant you have Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Perkins, Thabo, Collison (who I think is pretty solid for what he does) and Fisher (brings in veteran experience, winning mentality, leadership, etc). The better team always wins, there is too much pressure on LeBron and Wade to go out and do everything for their team. You can't put winning a championship all on one player.

macc
06-06-2012, 09:32 PM
If you really need finals results to have a final opinion on where Durrant rates in the NBA then you simply don't know basketball.

At this point, finals or no finals MVP, Lebron is the best player in basketball. There may be things Durrant does better then LBJ but when you look at the overall, it's Lebron.

I feel bad for basketball fans that need 4-7 more games to decide how good a player is. Besides a "team" wins the championship. Not a player.

Mrphilly
06-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Yes he will surpass Lebron, Just like Dirk did last year. The only thing is, when people stop living in the moment, KD will fall back behind Lebron Like Dirk did.

Im sure everybody remembers when people were saying that Dirk was the best player in the league.

Wolfman01
06-06-2012, 10:32 PM

LeBron James career shooting field goal is .483 and the last 3 season he average well over .500 shooting from the field. Those numbers are power foward and center and hes a small foward. LeBron James jump shot is beyond great. LeBron James is far better a shooter then Kevin Durant.