PDA

View Full Version : Why is Erik Spoelstra the coach of the Heat?

NYSpirit1
06-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't understand why the former video coordinator is the coach of this team.

The Heat assemble the biggest free agent coup of all time. Actually, Pat Riley assembled this team. They have the most hands down talent since the 96 Bulls. But yet instead of placing a legend like Riley or someone of that magnitude next to them, they go to the former video coordinator. It's completely idiotic looking back at it.

Spoelstra looks like he's about LeBron's age and he clearly doesn't have the respect of the players at all. They need a Larry Brown, a Riley, a Jackson or a Sloan. Someone who can direct these guys.

Doesn't really make sense... never will. Without a doubt, the Heat would be coasting to their 2nd title if this guy wasn't the coach.

EDIT: After this loss, Spoelstra has proven further his terrible coaching abilities. He has 3 all-world players and can't get it done. He's going to get fired asap. As a basketball fan, it's kind of a shame that we might not get to witness a team that has this talent take it to another level. LeBron or Wade are going to go next year.

rwynyc
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
maybe riley doesnt want to coach

GREATNESS ONE
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
:laugh2:

blastmasta26
06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
He's a Riley protege and they have confidence in him. Plus, Riley could always step in if he were to fail.

raiderfaninTX
06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
like i said spolestra ****ed up his own rotations the big 3 were rarely on the court together tonight

dude could **** up a wet dream if you gave him the chance

sixer04fan
06-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I agree man, not that they need Riley or another HOF coach, but Spoelstra is a joke. Seriously. I've never seen a team that was so good have a coach that was respected so little around the league and by the fans. It's a waste of the players' talents. If you're Lebron James or Dwyane Wade, why are you respecting Spoelstra at all? I wouldn't.

And I mean no disrespect to the Heat organization or Heat fans. I don't know how the fans down there feel about him, if they like him or hate him, but he's just not a good coach.

I guess he has gotten them to commit to defense as a unit pretty well, but that's about it.

JLynn943
06-05-2012, 11:29 PM
If they don't make the finals, he probably should be fired. This hasn't been LeBron's or Wade's (ish) fault. The team just falls apart for long stretches and only seems to make runs if LeBron and Wade force them to. Spo adds nothing to the team.

homestarunner93
06-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I agree with the premise of the thread. I'll just say right now though, Larry Brown would be an unmitigated disaster as the coach of the Heat.

JLynn943
06-05-2012, 11:33 PM
I agree with the premise of the thread. I'll just say right now though, Larry Brown would be an unmitigated disaster as the coach of the Heat.

Absolutely.

Driven
06-05-2012, 11:33 PM
He's a Riley protege and they have confidence in him. Plus, Riley could always step in if he were to fail.
He's failed for two years

LakerPride
06-05-2012, 11:40 PM
I'll take spoelstra over mike brown anytime of the day... Hope he coaches the Lakers

blastmasta26
06-05-2012, 11:40 PM
He's failed for two years

lol well this season isn't over just yet and giving him more than just one year is justified. I can easily see him gone if the Heat don't make it past Boston.

GREATNESS ONE
06-05-2012, 11:42 PM
I'll take spoelstra over mike brown anytime of the day... Hope he coaches the Lakers

Lol Mike Brown is horrid.

Sadds The Gr8
because u touch yourself at night

THE GIPPER

The Heat assemble the biggest free agent coup of all time. Actually, Pat Riley assembled this team. They have the most hands down talent since the 96 Bulls. But yet instead of placing a legend like Riley or someone of that magnitude next to them, they go to the former video coordinator. It's completely idiotic looking back at it.

Spoelstra looks like he's about LeBron's age and he clearly doesn't have the respect of the players at all. They need a Larry Brown, a Riley, a Jackson or a Sloan. Someone who can direct these guys.

Doesn't really make sense... never will. Without a doubt, the Heat would be coasting to their 2nd title if this guy wasn't the coach.

EDIT: After this loss, Spoelstra has proven further his terrible coaching abilities. He has 3 all-world players and can't get it done. He's going to get fired asap. As a basketball fan, it's kind of a shame that we might not get to witness a team that has this talent take it to another level. LeBron or Wade are going to go next year.

Thats very debatable imo

dalton749
06-05-2012, 11:45 PM
i said this last year the guy is a joke he cant call a play. miami's points come off lebron and wade creating for themselves and when it comes time to slow it down game over.
i couldnt stand watching the last 5 minutes of their games last year because they would have to settle for long jumper after long jumper. it was so painful to see in the dallas and chicago series. spolestra lost it for them then and the chicago game those long jumpers just happened to fall. hes getting a piggy back ride on their star power

naps
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Guys just take a look the Heat forum (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=722176). 90% of them act like Spo is better than Pop...LMFAO!

flatbush knicks
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
well he won't be if boston wins

ChitownBears22
06-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Anyone with half a brain knows Spo is a child who shouldn't be coaching HS ball.

greg_ory_2005
06-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I agree that Spo should not be the coach. He's pretty much gone unless the Heat win the title.

LakerPride
06-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Lol Mike Brown is horrid.

spoe is the better video coordinator/statsman over mike brown hands down :D

TrueFan420
06-05-2012, 11:55 PM
It's really a joke tho spo sucks and i could do better. Riley can't step in tho cause it would mess with his name. I can see the headlines now. He would have fired two coaches, tho only one was good, that were on the doorstep of the finals to get rings to his name.

Losoway
06-06-2012, 12:02 AM
The heat should fire eric the moment they go fishing thursday ... He is honestly the worst coach i seen this year next to mike dantoni

naps
06-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Spo or Mike Brown? Tough to decide between two puppets.

jam
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Calipari.

Rego247
06-06-2012, 12:10 AM
because u touch yourself at night

Clearly this.

Kyben36
06-06-2012, 12:12 AM
what spolstra is is the face of the heat, as in, the look of the coach. I still dont beleive lebron has enough respect for anyone but himself to accept coaching. as I hear from an interview from shaq, Lebron never listened to coaching in CLE, why would it be any diferent in Miami.

devilsheat25
06-06-2012, 12:14 AM
what spolstra is is the face of the heat, as in, the look of the coach. I still dont beleive lebron has enough respect for anyone but himself to accept coaching. as I hear from an interview from shaq, Lebron never listened to coaching in CLE, why would it be any diferent in Miami.

lol from Shaq. That's a legit source right there.

MTL_123
06-06-2012, 12:22 AM
he is the luckiest mother ****er in the world

Wolfman01
06-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Erik Spoelstra was a assistant coach for the Heats before becoming the Heat head coach. Of course during that time he was the assistant coach behind Pat Riley. It makes perfect sense why Erik Spoelstra is the Heat head coach as of right now. Erik Spoelstra is a member of Pat Riley coaching crew. Anyone who is a member of the coaching crew for Pat Riley will get a better consideration first then any other good coaches out there like Rick Adelman, Mike Brown, Larry Brown and etc.

jam
06-06-2012, 12:40 AM
The players don't respect him. It's that simple.

DaSeba5
06-06-2012, 12:45 AM
He's probably the most hated person in Miami right now lol.

KobeOwnSU
06-06-2012, 12:45 AM
I love watching the Heat lose. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

BALLER R
06-06-2012, 12:49 AM
you can blame the coach all you want but its wade and lebron that need to step up. Not scoring but as leaders. Why are they trotting back on defense when they miss a shot. Then boston gets an easy lane to the basket or a wide open 3. They take too many plays off. Heat fans can kill me all you want but deep down you know I'm right. Their not giving their all on both ends of the court. But I also think their coach does need to call them out on that.

metsbulls1025
06-06-2012, 12:50 AM
The coach has nothing to do with star players getting back to play defense.

The coach has nothing to do with Wade and Lebron settling for jumpers.

The coach has nothing to do with Miami shooting around 65 percent from the line.

The coach has nothing to do with role players missing wide open shots.

The coach has nothing to do with Dwayne Wade complaining after every missed shot instead of playing defense.

blastmasta26
06-06-2012, 12:55 AM

The coach has nothing to do with Miami shooting around 65 percent from the line.

The coach has nothing to do with Dwayne Wade complaining after every missed shot instead of playing defense.

Disagree with the first two and the last one. Player discipline and motivation is still a part of coaching.

DaSeba5
06-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Because Spo lets them. They don't respect him, and they do what they want. It's their team. It sickens me.

You think Phil Jackson would let them do that?

metsbulls1025
06-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Disagree with the first two and the last one. Player discipline and motivation is still a part of coaching.

It makes no sense. Why does Lebron and Wade, the leaders of the team, need to be continuously told to get back on defense? Wade complains no matter who the coach is. That is Dwayne Wade. Nothing will change that.

So if your told to attack the basket and you don't it is on the coach?

OT Thriller
06-06-2012, 01:05 AM
To Spoelstra's defense, he has a lot on his plate for his first ever head coaching gig. The expectations for him are huge and people talk about Heat players not being experienced enough but I think its Spoelstra's inexperience that's ultimately hurting this team.

Spoelstra could be a great coach down the road. He's still very young. But I just don't think he'll will ever be a great coach with the Heat. He's just flat out not doing a good job designing plays for his "TEAM".

BALLER R
06-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Because Spo lets them. They don't respect him, and they do what they want. It's their team. It sickens me.

You think Phil Jackson would let them do that?

They don't respect themselves enough to respect a coach. Think about it do you think Kobe or KG would have players on their team playing the way wade and lebron does. They would get in their face and tell them to get their *** back on defense.

DaSeba5
06-06-2012, 01:16 AM
They don't respect themselves enough to respect a coach. Think about it do you think Kobe or KG would have players on their team playing the way wade and lebron does. They would get in their face and tell them to get their *** back on defense.

Well how do you teach them to respect themselves?

LA_Raiders
06-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Dont worry, he will be out once they lose to the Celtics...

jam
06-06-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't see the Heat respecting any coach, really, even if/when Spoelstra's fired.

Rain City
06-06-2012, 01:21 AM
I think spoe is an above average nba coach, not so much on the offensive side. He is just a bad fit. This team won't submit to him but why would they? He doesn't have the credentials.

DaSeba5
06-06-2012, 01:26 AM
I think spoe is an above average nba coach, not so much on the offensive side. He is just a bad fit. This team won't submit to him but why would they? He doesn't have the credentials.

Exactly. They need someone who is respected and a veteran type coach. It never made sense to keep him.

nastynice
06-06-2012, 01:30 AM
The players don't respect him. It's that simple.

this is all it really comes down to

BALLER R
06-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Well how do you teach them to respect themselves?

That's a good question. I think they need to play with someone who isn't afraid to call them out.

flatbush knicks
06-06-2012, 01:57 AM
mark my words if the heat loose phil jackson will be coaching them next year

gotoHcarolina52
06-06-2012, 02:00 AM
mark my words if the heat loose phil jackson will be coaching them next year

No way Phil consents to Riley being his boss.

flatbush knicks
06-06-2012, 02:03 AM
whatever phil jackson is a scavenger and would love to take credit for somebody elses work

crazygolucky
06-06-2012, 02:05 AM
the fact that the heat whine to refs while the celts are running out in transition shows that spo doesnt discipline these guys at all. any decent coach would nip that shite in the bud QUICK

that and the horrible end of game plays the heat run. How is it a team with d wade and LBJ cant score in the clutch???

akagiredsuns
06-06-2012, 02:07 AM

Pat Riley is not gonna step in. He already said that he would not come back down to the bench and coach. Doesn't want to deal with that stress. He's 70+. If Spoelstra gets fired someone else (NOT RILEY) will step in. :facepalm:

gotoHcarolina52
06-06-2012, 02:14 AM
As much as I'd hate to see it, I could see Mike Krzyzewski leaving Duke to coach the Heat, especially given his work with LeBron/Wade/Bosh on Team USA and the Duke connection in the Heat front office (Nick Arison, owner's son and Heat CEO, is a Duke alumnus and was "team manager" for Coach K as an undergrad at Duke).

flatbush knicks
06-06-2012, 02:19 AM
yo yall dont believe me im tellin you phil is going there all he cares about is winning championships even if he didn't have to work for it

LakersA's49ers
06-06-2012, 02:29 AM
cant yall just ever give the other team credit? the celtics have been the better team all series, and thats not all on spoelstra

LakersMaster24
06-06-2012, 02:32 AM
There is a stack of reasons to why the Heat lose, but never the fact that they are simply not good enough and are not playing hard enough.

jam
06-06-2012, 02:33 AM
cant yall just ever give the other team credit? the celtics have been the better team all series, and thats not all on spoelstra

Trashing spo and giving boston props are not mutually exclusive endeavors. We can do both.

DaLyingofJungl3
06-06-2012, 02:42 AM
They have the most hands down talent since the 96 Bulls

are u serious?
Miami is not even close to the 96 Bulls.

they are not even close to the 2000s Lakers & Spurs

gwrighter
06-06-2012, 02:45 AM
lol He's not a good enough coach for those guys I dunno why Riley insists Executive of the year my :moon:

He assembled a talented team but forgot one of the most important pieces, the coach.

DaLyingofJungl3
06-06-2012, 02:48 AM
you can blame the coach all you want but its wade and lebron that need to step up. Not scoring but as leaders

-they are stepping up (mostly Lebron) but no body else is stepping up

pd1dish
06-06-2012, 02:52 AM
If they don't make the finals, he probably should be fired. This hasn't been LeBron's or Wade's (ish) fault. The team just falls apart for long stretches and only seems to make runs if LeBron and Wade force them to. Spo adds nothing to the team.

they only go on good runs when its Lebron or Wade because those two take so many shots per game. the rest of the role players never have a chance to get any sort of rhythm. its like they always have to be on their toes to shoot the basketball at the end of a shot clock after Lebron or Wade just dribbled the ball for 20 seconds.

that combined with the fact that the role players simply arent that good (at least while Bosh is out) means that if Wade AND Lebron arent going off in the same night, they wont win. the games that Boston has won or could have won, Wade played poorly. Then, in game 4, Lebron fouls out and Wade played bad in OT. its just the type of team that doesnt have enough talent around the main two players.

i think trading Lebron or Wade would be an interesting move because they would get 2-3 starters out of it making them a more complete team. idk what they do though if they dont make the finals. i really wouldnt be surprised with no move at all because unless Pat Riley takes over the HC job, i dont think firing Spoelstra accomplishes anything.

Rain City
06-06-2012, 02:52 AM
-they are stepping up (mostly Lebron) but no body else is stepping up

exactly, riley has failed at building around his big 3 if you ask me, including the coach.

Rain City
06-06-2012, 03:00 AM
i thought heat were dead after game 3 of the pacer series, they were down and out, a week later they looked like title favorites...

if there is one team that can flip a switch & route the field it is MIA. As a celts fan, i still have to respect miami to the fullest.

FreakaNashur
06-06-2012, 03:00 AM
I agree man, not that they need Riley or another HOF coach, but Spoelstra is a joke. Seriously. I've never seen a team that was so good have a coach that was respected so little around the league and by the fans. It's a waste of the players' talents. If you're Lebron James or Dwyane Wade, why are you respecting Spoelstra at all? I wouldn't.

And I mean no disrespect to the Heat organization or Heat fans. I don't know how the fans down there feel about him, if they like him or hate him, but he's just not a good coach.

I guess he has gotten them to commit to defense as a unit pretty well, but that's about it.
Bron and wade do not respect erik spoelstra that is the main problem. spo is not a bad coach but clearly not the coach for this team. he should be coaching the warriors or something. a young team to grow with.

ChitownBears22
06-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Bring in Jerry Sloan!!!!!

mikekhelxD
06-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Implying that Spoelstra is just a video coordinator is simply false. He has been their assistant coach for quite some time now. He might not be that great of a coach and it is not his fault why he is still employed. If you really think that Riley should be coaching, why not ask him? He'll probably tell you that he'll still let Spoelestra to coach because of the things he said in the past about Erik. He is his own student so firing Erik from Riley is the same as saying that he has failed himself. Riley is simply protecting his own pride. Oh btw, he might look young, but that isn't his fault.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-06-2012, 04:01 AM
As much as I'd hate to see it, I could see Mike Krzyzewski leaving Duke to coach the Heat, especially given his work with LeBron/Wade/Bosh on Team USA and the Duke connection in the Heat front office (Nick Arison, owner's son and Heat CEO, is a Duke alumnus and was "team manager" for Coach K as an undergrad at Duke).

Haha, uh, no. Back in 2004, when Phil left after that 1st stint with the Lakers, Coach K was very close to becoming the new Laker coach because of his love for Kobe and the fact that if Kobe didn't forego college, he would have went to Duke. Coach K said that his allegiance was and will always be with Duke, but the only guy that could even compel him to think otherwise was Kobe Bean Bryant.

If he didn't concede for Kobe, he's not conceding for anyone. He's a Duke guy til the death.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Bring in Jerry Sloan!!!!!

Please, if a guy whose pretty quiet in the media in Deron Williams ended up being a dick to Sloan, now he's going to have to put up with 3 dicks, 2 of which are the biggest attention media whores in the entire basketball industry.

Eagles710
06-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Thats very debatable imo

No its not actually... About That coach, its makes 100% NO SENSE AT ALL, i wonder the same thing on why? is a a coach at all? ... I honestly think the heat made him the coach , so incase things blow up like they have, they can fire someone , and start again , like it was the coach's fault, which in this case , i do think the coach plays a BIG role in these losses

Eagles710
06-06-2012, 04:56 AM
i would take literally Any Head Coach that is coaching in the nba right now above this guy.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-06-2012, 05:17 AM

Well that's how you move up the rankings.

He's a bad coach, but he's worked up the ladder.

tcav701
06-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Could you imagine a coach that actually tried to tell LeBron/Wade what to do?

It would be a disaster.

EvanTurner
06-06-2012, 05:29 AM
what can spoelstra do about wade and lebrons shooting fade away jumpers and hoping guys lije miller jones chalmers to hit 3s all game?

sunsfan88
06-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Imagine if Jerry Sloan took over the Heat HC....or maybe even Nate McMillan!

sunsfan88
06-06-2012, 05:46 AM
i would take literally Any Head Coach that is coaching in the nba right now above this guy.

Even Mike Brown or Larry Drew?

tcav701
06-06-2012, 05:51 AM
He was never there because he was the best in game coach.

Spo is there because he is a yeas man that will do whatever Riley, LeBron and Wade tell him to.

That is the reason he will keep his job.

QueensG
06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
heat should go after Phil if not let Riley coach them

khaleesi
06-06-2012, 08:18 AM
... because LeBron would crap himself if Riles was coach.

Riles would scream at him more in one, 2 hour practice then LeBron has heard his entire life.

He'd melt and slink back to Cleveland were he can go back to manipulating the Owner.

khaleesi
06-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Phil will never work for Riles.

But if he did, can you imagine the AAA party by Heat fans and the UMADII T-Shirts? Yes we did. AGAIN.

LOL. Miami fans would be predicting not 1, not 2, not 99 -- straight NBA Championships.

Can you imagine thier pre-game show guy "Jax" or whatever it is? He'd have jizzz all over his face and be happy.

DR_1
06-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Spo or Mike Brown? Tough to decide between two puppets.

Yuck, I really can't decide.

time4change
06-06-2012, 08:31 AM
This goes to show how dumb some people are. Stop blaming Spo for TheBron not being able to deliver.

If I see him pass the ball off with 5 seconds left one more time I swear I'm gonna go nuts.

Phil would NEVER coach TheBron. Phil won't put up with ego. He did with MJ and Kobe because those guys delivered.

ottograham14
06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I think he is in a very tough spot. He is the middle man that can't really ever be too big of a head because of Riley, Wade and James. Yes he gets beat on matchups and playcalls at times but every under 5 yr HC will have that happen especially when going up against the likes of Carlisle, Rivers, etc. that have been there for a while.

Also it isn't ES's fault that when the Heat miss a basket they sit and complain to the refs instead of getting back on D or when they make a basket they are busy celebrating to get back on D.

When he does try saying something guys like Wade in the Indy series go off on him. Guy is just in a bad spot IMO.

QueensG
06-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Phil will never work for Riles.

But if he did, can you imagine the AAA party by Heat fans and the UMADII T-Shirts? Yes we did. AGAIN.

LOL. Miami fans would be predicting not 1, not 2, not 99 -- straight NBA Championships.

Can you imagine thier pre-game show guy "Jax" or whatever it is? He'd have jizzz all over his face and be happy.

lmao yeah that would be horrible. can't stand to see another one of those press conferences. the heat totally went with things the wrong way in hindsight. smh

khaleesi
06-06-2012, 08:43 AM
lmao yeah that would be horrible. can't stand to see another one of those press conferences. the heat totally went with things the wrong way in hindsight. smh

Seriously, they'd print "U Mad 2" T-shirts and "Yes We Did. Again." ones also.

But what kills me about the video and the event is not the 3 Tools be-clowning themselves but WTF was Riley thinking to sanction that nonsense?

NSJ
06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
seriously, they'd print "u mad 2" t-shirts and "yes we did. Again." ones also.

But what kills me about the video and the event is not the 3 tools be-clowning themselves but wtf was riley thinking to sanction that nonsense?

$$

NSJ
06-06-2012, 08:58 AM
As much of a little wiesel spoelstra is I don't think he's the one to blame here. They could probably get a guy who'd better motivate them but as far as coaching goes he's just a little puppet to Riley and mimics his style. If Lebron wade and bosh would live up to the stardom they'd step up and motivate the team themselves but they don't show that desire to win.

QueensG
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
the Miami organization should fire whoever was responsible for that arrogant spectacle..lol what were they thinking?! haha

QueensG
06-06-2012, 09:03 AM
its honestly Wade, lebron and Noah's fault for the way their playing. I was disgusted to see the lack of respect coach sports gets from these guys. first lebron shoulder bumps him last season then Wade gets in his face on national TV!

wow if I was a heat fan I would be embarrassed at how classless these guys are. when a player gets in a coaches face let alone on national tv all respect is lost. Nothing sports can do about that unfortionately so he's the scapegoat for these 3 divas.

QueensG
06-06-2012, 09:04 AM
bosh'********** not Noah my bad dam spell check ****

QueensG
06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
spo **

torocan
06-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Spo is a good enough coach to get Miami to the Finals last year and to the ECF this year.

The problems aren't Spo's.

-Non-existant bench
-Wade's no-show in the first half every game
-Lebron's melt-down in 4th quarter clutch - 4 points in the last 8:10
-Awful free throw shooting
-Lack of hustle getting back on D

Building a team on 2 superstars is great in theory, unless the Stars don't produce when it counts.

When Wade is averaging 5 points per game in the First half, and Lebron's clutch performances are lacking, it ain't the coach. It's not like Wade and Lebron aren't getting the ball or not getting open.

And what do you expect Spo to do? It's not like he's going to bench Wade or Lebron and they both know it.

Miami is a flawed team concept, with flawed superstars, who don't have enough of a supporting cast to cover up their flaws.

That's not Spo.

Lakerfan In NY
06-06-2012, 09:11 AM
While at his job videotape heats practices he caught pat Riley doing something not so good & used it as balckmail.

khaleesi
06-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Spo is a good enough coach to get Miami to the Finals last year and to the ECF this year.

The problems aren't Spo's.

-Non-existant bench
-Wade's no-show in the first half every game
-Lebron's melt-down in 4th quarter clutch - 4 points in the last 8:10
-Awful free throw shooting
-Lack of hustle getting back on D

Building a team on 2 superstars is great in theory, unless the Stars don't produce when it counts.

When Wade is averaging 5 points per game in the First half, and Lebron's clutch performances are lacking, it ain't the coach. It's not like Wade and Lebron aren't getting the ball or not getting open.

And what do you expect Spo to do? It's not like he's going to bench Wade or Lebron and they both know it.

Miami is a flawed team concept, with flawed superstars, who don't have enough of a supporting cast to cover up their flaws.

That's not Spo.

Like Amar'e and Melo?

torocan
06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Like Amar'e and Melo?

Yes, except STAT/Melo took a win off Miami with both PG's down, their best perimeter defender out, their DPOY center on an IV with the flu for the first 2 games and STAT out for a game.

What's Lebron/Wade's excuse for losing against the CELTICS? The Aging, injured, slow, non-athletic CELTICS...

Blame Spo if you guys want. It doesn't fix the lack of consistent team effort and performance by the Heat.

NSJ
06-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Yes, except STAT/Melo took a win off Miami with both PG's down, their best perimeter defender out, their DPOY center on an IV with the flu for the first 2 games and STAT out for a game.

What's Lebron/Wade's excuse for losing against the CELTICS? The Aging, injured, slow, non-athletic CELTICS...

Blame Spo if you guys want. It doesn't fix the lack of consistent team effort and performance by the Heat.

You're not giving the Cs enough credit. You saying barring injuries NY could stand a chance against the heat? They got dominated the first round

torocan
06-06-2012, 09:40 AM
You're not giving the Cs enough credit. You saying barring injuries NY could stand a chance against the heat? They got dominated the first round

Considering Indiana took them to 6 and Boston is leading 3-2, yes, they stood a chance. It doesn't mean they were favored, but they stood a chance.

Dominating a heavily injured team isn't the same as dominating a team that's anywhere near healthy as the Pacers and Celtics have clearly demonstrated.

On paper, Miami should be running away with the ECF. Unfortunately for Heat fans the game isn't played on Paper is it?

Rafer17
06-06-2012, 09:47 AM

This. The way the players choose to perform is not Spo's fault...jesus, talk about scapegoat.

Ladies Man
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
The reason Riley isn't coaching is because he can play the center position and still win according to "The King" himself

RiLoc
06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I think Spoelstra is the coach because Pat Riley likes him as a coach. That endorsement carries some weight. I'm not saying Spoelstra is without fault, especially on out of timeout plays and late game plays. Those are pretty ugly, especially when the opposing coach is Doc Rivers who is among the best at out of timeout plays. If you had a timeout between each play the Celtics would win every game against the Heat by a landslide.

I don't understand why the former video coordinator is the coach of this team.I don't think it's as uncommon as you think to have your coaching road go through video coordinator. I know Frank Vogel and Mike Brown were video coordinators. Kaleb Canales was a video intern.

Actually, Pat Riley assembled this team. They have the most hands down talent since the 96 Bulls.Yea... That's not true. This roster is seriously flawed. When LeBron has to step in and play center because your bigs aren't cutting it, you have problems. I think it's understated how big of a problem this is.

uwish1127
06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I like seeing the Heat choke, so I dont care

Raph12
06-06-2012, 10:16 AM
If they lose tomorrow, Spoelstra will be fired and one of the "big 3" will be traded... Book it.

Weezy
06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
If they lose tomorrow, Spoelstra will be fired and one of the "big 3" will be traded... Book it.

I'll agree with you on the coach, not so sure about them breaking the big 3. No question it will be interesting. Spo is the #1 scapegoat right now. Guess who is #2?...............

Slug3
06-06-2012, 10:25 AM
The problem with Spo is he thinks everything can be fixed if he has some great catch phrase or tells the team to hustle. But then when we go on droughts and call timeouts, he doesnt draw up a good play, has not teached this team how to break down the zone, refuses to make any adjustments unless its changing his rotations, and still doesnt know who will be on the court during the last possesions. I mean James Jones played like 8 minutes in the 4th quarter alone last night and has only played like 4 other minutes total in the other 4 games. He just does not know what he is doing as a coach.

bucketss
06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Considering Indiana took them to 6 and Boston is leading 3-2, yes, they stood a chance. It doesn't mean they were favored, but they stood a chance.

Dominating a heavily injured team isn't the same as dominating a team that's anywhere near healthy as the Pacers and Celtics have clearly demonstrated.

On paper, Miami should be running away with the ECF. Unfortunately for Heat fans the game isn't played on Paper is it?

lol don't flatter yourself knicks got blown out 4 of the 5 games they played, a rookie and lin wouldn't change that and they needed mello to go insane to even be in games, pacers went six because miamis only skilled big man and perennial allstar went down plus the pacers being better than the knicks

MTL_123
06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
SPo is playing for a job right now if miami loses this series Spo will get fired and wen he does no other team in the nba will sign him. You have Lebron, Wade and bosh and you cant even win a championship/ even get to the finals now says alot.

Gritz
06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
He ain't the coach next year if they lost Thursday

TragicallyHip
06-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Who's your money on? I say LeBron.

He's just a distraction and disappears in the clutch. I think Wade and Bosh coupled with some decent supporting cast and a deeper bench would be a better TEAM than they are with LeBron.

gotoHcarolina52
06-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Stephen A. Smith just proposed a Wade + Bosh for Kobe + Gasol trade. Wow. The offseason of stupidity is upon us. Watch it live all summer on ESPN.

h2r09
06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
wade for howard and sign steve nash and you fill all of your holes. convince a 3 point shooter like ray allen to sign for the minimum and you are so much better than we are right now. need consistent shooters, can't win like this.

nolafan33
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
The coach of the Heat is irrelevant. Nomatter who heads that team they will be the scapegoat, it's always the coaches fault and never the players fault.

Snakeyestx
06-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Video coordinator?

Didn't he start out as a ball boy with the Heat before that? :confused:

The guy's got a tough job, in a big market city, with 3 huge names in his roster... maybe it's just too much too soon for him.

I've said this before on other subforums ... this'll be an interesting off-season, especially if the Heat are sent packing Thursday.

There are WAY too many names available to take that job at a moment's notice this year to gamble keeping him at the helm.

celtNYpatsHeels
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I think Spolstra sucks as a coach but cmon.. the question really should be -

How coachable are Lebron James and Dwayne Wade?

They clearly dont buy in to anything but trasition dunks. Their offense is worse than a Mike Brown system. Its so laughable

tcav701
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Theres very few coaches that are comfortable catering to their playerrs.

Spo is one of them.

I bet things would be worse with a real.coach.

gotoHcarolina52
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
wade for howard and sign steve nash and you fill all of your holes. convince a 3 point shooter like ray allen to sign for the minimum and you are so much better than we are right now. need consistent shooters, can't win like this.

It will be tough for the franchise to turn its back on Wade after what he did for them in 2006 and after all the garbage he stuck through between 2008-2010.* Wade for Howard is a smart move for the franchise, but it absolutely sucks that it would come at the expense of screwing Wade over.

* Blake Ahearn, Carlos Arroyo, Marcus Banks, Earl Barron, Michael Beasley, Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, Yakhouba Diawara, Kenny Hasbrouck, Luther Head, Alexander Johnson, Stephane Lasme, Jamario Moon, Jermaine O'Neal, Kasib Powell, Shavlik Randolph, Chris Quinn.

RLundi
06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I agree. I think pedigree is extremely important, especially when coaching superstars. A relatively no-name, former AV tech or whatever- that's not gonna command respect of rookies, much less egomaniacal stars. Pat Riley tried to groom a protege; truth is, Spo wasn't ready for the job.

Pat either needs to coach or hire someone that will unyieldingly demand respect from James and Wade. Riley gave him 2 years and he's failed to bring a championship to Miami. It's time to move on.

h2r09
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
It will be tough for the franchise to turn its back on Wade after what he did for them in 2006 and after all the garbage he stuck through between 2008-2010.* Wade for Howard is a smart move for the franchise, but it absolutely sucks that it would come at the expense of screwing Wade over.

* Blake Ahearn, Carlos Arroyo, Marcus Banks, Earl Barron, Michael Beasley, Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, Yakhouba Diawara, Kenny Hasbrouck, Luther Head, Alexander Johnson, Stephane Lasme, Jamario Moon, Jermaine O'Neal, Kasib Powell, Shavlik Randolph, Chris Quinn.

than maybe wade should have tried harder and actually hustled. He has been playing this offense only, jog back on defense thing for 2 years now. You simply can't count on him anymore. He is consistently injured, inconsistent with his jumpshot, and him and lebron really don't fit. Im only trading him THIS offseason if we can get Dwight and sign him to an extension.

RLundi
06-06-2012, 12:21 PM

This will not happen. As much as I love Wade, he's 30 and known to be a bit injury-prone.

lygctt032
06-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I agree to the people, they do not need a Riley or other HOF coach, but Spoelstra is a joke. Seriously. I have never seen a team, are so good, there are so many around the league, and the fans will respect the coach. This is a player of a waste of talent. If you are James or Wade, why do you want to respect Spoelstra at all? I will not, I mean don't respect the heat or heat fans. I don't know how the fans like his, if they love him or hate him, but he is just not a good coach. I guess he has got them to promise as a unit played very well defensively, but that's it.
http://www.xaode.info/jpg1

lygctt032
06-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Spolstra is what is hot in the face, such as coach, have a look. I still don't beleive Lebron have enough respect for anyone, but he accepted, coach. I heard from O'neal accepts when the interview, Lebron in the Knights coach never listen, why would anyone in Miami diferent.
__________________ if you will be thinking anyway, you may also want to" - Koolhaas
http://www.xaode.info/jpg1

albertc86
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
They have the most hands down talent since the 96 Bulls.

Disagree.

RLundi
06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
They have the most hands down talent since the 96 Bulls.

Not even close. There were plenty more talented teams than the Heat. The Kings and Mavs teams of the early 2000s had more talent than the Heat. I think the Lakers team that lost the Pistons was the league's most talented team since the Bulls.

MTL_123
06-06-2012, 01:13 PM
man i bet all thos rumors before that Lebron and Bosh wanting Riley to coach but Wade was like keep Spo as the coach were all true

gaughan333
06-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Haha, very realistic

TheWhiteMamba
06-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Larry Brown would have been a good fit for this Miami team.

Slug3
06-06-2012, 02:31 PM
man i bet all thos rumors before that Lebron and Bosh wanting Riley to coach but Wade was like keep Spo as the coach were all true

Wade remembers those practices. Lol

AIRMAR72
06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
SPO must go

LongIslandIcedZ
06-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Spo missed so many open threes and didn't get back on D so much last night. He sucks.

todu82
06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
I think if Miami loses to Boston or in the finals Spo will be gone as coach. Also I can see them trading Chris Bosh for more talent. They're a good team but they need that other piece to take the next step.