PDA

View Full Version : sox will decide Tomorrow what to do w/ Bard

grandsalami
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo
Red Sox brass will formulate plan on Daniel Bard's pitching woes tomorrow. Choices are bullpen, DL, option to minors or status quo.

Station 13
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Straight to bullpen if I were to make the decision.

Nomar
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
DFA.. move DMac to bullpen.

Station 13
06-04-2012, 08:23 PM
DFA.. move DMac to bullpen.

MacDime throw high CHEESE

RedSoxtober
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Straight to bullpen if I were to make the decision.

That presents a few problems. First, the BP has clearly settled into roles pretty well since the third week in April. Bard disrupts that at some level. Second, Bard's recent performance is not likely to instantly right itself simply by going to the BP. He's likely to make some things ugly while he gets his head straight.

A ten-day tour in the minors might help more than a quick ticket to the BP. There are a few ways it could play out. You could swap him for the best active pitcher we've got a AAA or swap him for Melancon/Wilson and let Padilla/Aceves start. Or, I suppose, trade Youk for a young #5.

wolf82
06-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Bard is also on a innings limit. So it's inevitable he is heading back to pen. Dice-K is on his way back, and most likely will replace Bard in the rotation. Also, Cook is on his way back.

Youk + one of our OF (once Ross, Crawford, Ells returns from the DL) could be traded for a starter.

RedSoxtober
06-05-2012, 01:25 PM
The innings limit idea has been suggested since the offseason. Can anyone produce a quote from the FO suggesting it?

Rivera
06-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Put him on the 15 day DL let him rest (also a way to limit his innings) let him make a few "rehab" starts on his way back to start

If that go around doesnt work for bard after a phantom dl stint put him back in the bullpen!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
The innings limit idea has been suggested since the offseason. Can anyone produce a quote from the FO suggesting it?

I remember them actually stating it was going to be 160 innings IIRC.

wolf82
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Put him on the 15 day DL let him rest (also a way to limit his innings) let him make a few "rehab" starts on his way back to start

If that go around doesnt work for bard after a phantom dl stint put him back in the bullpen!

I said this in the off-season Bard is NOT a starter.

I say put him back down to AAA as a relief pitcher for a few weeks to build up his confidence. Then bring him back up. There is a reason why he was made into a RP.

As a starter in the minors he averaged a little over a walk per inning. Mazz said on the sports hub he had 160+ innings (3 years as a starter) and over those innings he had 168 walks. Then the sox converted him into a RP and the strike outs went way up, and the walks went way down.

There are two ways to solve the SP spot left by bard. Bring someone up from AAA for a few spot starts, and wait till Dice-K comes back, or bundle Youk up for a #4 or #5 starter.

SoxFan0407
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Option him to the minors until he figures it out. Do not let him pitch out of the wind up. It's much easier to repeat your delivery if you have fewer moving parts to think about. He stated recently he can't throw in the high 90's anymore...and he's tried. That's strictly due to poor mechanics. Get him back to what got him to 100mph. Once he figures it out call him back up, immediately insert him into a 6th/7th inning role and see what he can do. This will take inning away from Morales and Albers only...not too worried about messing up the bullpen. If anything those guys will get more rest and be better suited for the second half of the season.

SoxFan0407
06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
There are two ways to solve the SP spot left by bard. Bring someone up from AAA for a few spot starts, and wait till Dice-K comes back, or bundle Youk up for a #4 or #5 starter.

I'd have a hard time accepting only a #4 for Youk, let alone if he was bundled with another prospect. Especially if we are eating most of his salary to trade him. BC should accept no less than a decent #3 for Youk alone or a Quality #3 if Youk is bundled.

grandsalami
06-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
Daniel Bard to AAA. #RedSox

Towelie
06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
This is the right move. If they think he can work it out as a starter this shows they still think he can be a starter, as do I. Let him work out in AAA.

goshhhjosh
06-05-2012, 03:47 PM
So I'm assuming that this is the corresponding move to Dmac's activation.

Other moves that were being assumed were: Sending Middlebrooks back to AAA or DFA'ing Marlon Byrd.

I hope Bard gets it together in AAA...he's been pretty abysmal this year. Thank God for options.

LasahShow14
06-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Anyone know who will become the "interim" 5th SP?

Station 13
06-05-2012, 03:49 PM

MacDime is off the DL.

Soxfan85
06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
There is no word yet on who will replace Bard on the 25-man roster

Source: SI

RedSoxtober
06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I remember them actually stating it was going to be 160 innings IIRC.
Nope. That was purely conjecture that I saw often repeated here (if not started here). In fact, a quick query of the interwebs reveals that the Sox never discussed it.

Of course, the question remains, can the Red Sox expect a full seasonís workload out of Bard in only his first year as a starter?

According to Valentine, the team has not yet discussed whether to impose an innings limit for Bard. In 2010, the Blue Jays shut down converted starter Brandon Morrow after Labor Day when he reached 146 innings. The Rangers, who have been successful in effectively transitioning relievers to starters, allowed C.J. Wilson to throw 204 innings in his first season as a starter in 2010. But last season, they moved Alexi Ogando back to the bullpen in late September after he logged 167 innings as a starter.
See the rest here (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2012/05/14/how-daniel-bard-stacks-up-to-other-converted-starters-plus-links/).

As a starter in the minors he averaged a little over a walk per inning. Mazz said on the sports hub he had 160+ innings (3 years as a starter) and over those innings he had 168 walks. Then the sox converted him into a RP and the strike outs went way up, and the walks went way down.
Mazz is flat out wrong. Bard was a starter for one season (2007). They messed with his delivery and things went horribly wrong. He was convinced to try relieving in the winter league after 2007 and became a reliever full time after that. He dominated in Greenville (where he was 2yrs older than his competition) but slowed down when making the jump straight to AA Portland and more appropriate competition.

ewhits24
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Dont have time to find the article, but it said the sox do not need a 5th starter until June 24th because the way the schedule sets up. It hinted that atchison and a collection of relievers could be used in case of an emergency starter needed.

RedSoxtober
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
^^ Not true. They play the next 9 days straight. Pretty much need someone for at least one start there. They do, however, have a day off before AND after the Cubs series so they could wait until the last minute to decide whether a couple of long relievers could take care of the one start.

grandsalami
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Scott Lauber ‏@ScottLauber
For now, #RedSox planning to stick with Bard as a starter

Boston-Born
06-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Dice K will be pitching in Bard's spot per Red Sox broadcast tonight.

wolf82
06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Scott Lauber ‏@ScottLauber
For now, #RedSox planning to stick with Bard as a starter

I doubt this since, Dice-K is back. If Dice-K does well in the rotation, Bard will be back in pen when he gets called back up.

A Youk trade will probably get us 2 ML ready prospects.