PDA

View Full Version : Explain this please

NCBoSoxfan21
06-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Please explain why, once again Daniel Nava is hitting very well and is not looked on like a full-time player? This is a kid that has hit well as every level including his two stints with the majors. He wasn’t even called up last year despite hitting better in 2010 than 3 of 4 OF’ers.

Celtic AL
06-02-2012, 07:51 PM
it is amazing that hes playing well then the $142 Million Dollar man!

it has to be motivation. but he could just hot right now

AI
06-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I'd DFA Mcdonald before sending him down, much better baseball player.

BGeer091
06-02-2012, 08:32 PM
I've been big on Nava. I thought he'd be a very good 4th or 5th outfielder. However he was proven he could and should be an everyday player.

tc2deuce
06-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I was asking the same question yesterday?! BTW, I love his swing!!!!

Crucis
06-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Please explain why, once again Daniel Nava is hitting very well and is not looked on like a full-time player? This is a kid that has hit well as every level including his two stints with the majors. He wasn’t even called up last year despite hitting better in 2010 than 3 of 4 OF’ers.

NC, I suspect that if the Sox waived Nava to send him down (actually, would they have to?), some team would pick him up this time around. It'd be hard for some team that needed an OF-er to pass up a kid who is hitting the way Nava has been.

NCBoSoxfan21
06-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Also while we’re explaining the terrible decisions of Cherington and co, let’s look at the Curious Case of Jed Lowrie, who is hitting 292./.373/.509 with the Astros.

Station 13
06-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Also while we’re explaining the terrible decisions of Cherington and co, let’s look at the Curious Case of Jed Lowrie, who is hitting 292./.373/.509 with the Astros.

Lowrie is a pull hitter and the dimensions of Minutes Maid suits him. He had lots of warning tracks power in Fenway.

bagwell368
06-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Nava was an Indie league guy if I'm not mistaken. There is a bias against them.

Nava after a year off from the Majors is "new". His fielding has improved which is nice, but the same holes in his swing are going to start showing up as they did last time when teams start to focus on him. Enjoy the ride, but, he simply isn't going to keep up his current slash numbers.

All that being said I abhor DMac and would rather cast my lot with Nava.

Towelie
06-03-2012, 10:20 AM

Jed has always had a decent bat. He never stays healthy, do you really think we need another injury prone player? Plus Mark M started out bad but doesn't mean it doesn't get better.

Right now in AAA he's got a 12.54 K/9 and a 0.96 ERA with a 1.00 FIP. He'd be up right now if we had room for him but our pen has been pretty solid.

TragicallyHip
06-03-2012, 11:19 AM
NC, I suspect that if the Sox waived Nava to send him down (actually, would they have to?), some team would pick him up this time around. It'd be hard for some team that needed an OF-er to pass up a kid who is hitting the way Nava has been.

There is 0% chance Nava would clear waivers, IMO.

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2012, 02:23 PM

After a fast start he hit .242/.351/.360 in 2010, not what I would call hitting well. Last year he was horrible for most of the year in AAA. You don't get looked on as a full time player because you had 1 month of exceptional play.

Pavelb1
06-03-2012, 03:59 PM
After a fast start he hit .242/.351/.360 in 2010, not what I would call hitting well. Last year he was horrible for most of the year in AAA. You don't get looked on as a full time player because you had 1 month of exceptional play.

'Horrible' is a bit much with a .378 OBP

NCBoSoxfan21
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM

He hit that over the course of 60 games, that’s more than a month.

Pavelb1
06-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Lavinge and Bags are mostly right. He was simply overlooked mostly and didn't impress enough in AAA last year. I didn't even know he was still in the org. until I was scouring for *anyone* to replace Byrd when Byrd looked horrible in KC.

Crucis
06-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Nava was an Indie league guy if I'm not mistaken. There is a bias against them.

Yes, this is true. The Sox did pick him up off of an indy league. But I think that some of the bias against Nava is also due to his size. if he were a middle infielder, I suspect that the bias against him (due to size) wouldn't be so great. But as an outfielder, I suppose that it's rather significant.

Nava after a year off from the Majors is "new". His fielding has improved which is nice, but the same holes in his swing are going to start showing up as they did last time when teams start to focus on him. Enjoy the ride, but, he simply isn't going to keep up his current slash numbers.

You're probably right, Bags. I wouldn't know. But he does seem better than last time. Maybe he fixed some of his swing holes, or at least learned to adjust a little.

All that being said I abhor DMac and would rather cast my lot with Nava.

I agree. I won't say that I "abhor" MacDime. I like his story, but story time is over and it's past time for him to produce when he plays. And he hasn't. OTOH, Nava just seems to find ways to get get on base and get hits. It's hard to complain about a kid who's hitting around .300 and has an OBP around .400. And even his defense has supposedly improved. I'd rather stick with Nava as the 5th OF-er than give MacDime any more time to not produce for the Sox.

(Of course, there's no telling how Nava would be as a bench player. His current success is coming while he's played for something like 3 straight weeks in LF. Who knows what he'd be like only getting occasional playing time as a bench player.)

yankkiller
06-04-2012, 12:45 AM
i agree this kid should stay up but lets look at our roster now and what it will be come late season/playoff

players on the mend:

CL Bailey should become closer once back
LF Crawford all star break
CF Ellsbury all star break
OF Kalish 40 man roster call up doubt he will be there for playoff run
SP Dice K insert into starting rotation looks like bard is out
RF Ross will be back soon
RP Jenks 40 man roster call up if he looks good keep him on the roster
SP Cook -send down keep down if have to let him walk
OF D-Mac dfa

current lineup
LF Nava
2B Pedroia
DH Ortiz
3B Youkillis
RF Gonzo
3B Middlebrooks
C Salty
SS Aviles
CF Sweeney

Bench current
C Shoppach
INF Punto
OF Byrd
OF Podsednik

Pitching Current
SP Beckett
SP Lester
SP Buccholz
SP Doubront
SP Bard
RP Atchison
RP Albers
RP Hill
RP Miller
RP Morales
RP Padilla
CL Aceves

End of season lineup:
CF Ellsbury
2B Pedroia
1B Agon
3B Youkillis
DH Ortiz
RF Ross
C Salty
SS Aviles
LF Crawford

Bench
C Shoppach
INF Punto
3B Middlebrooks
OF Sweeney
OF Nava

Pitching end of season post season four man rotation dice k slides into long relief role
SP Beckett
SP Lester
SP Buchholz
SP Doubront
SP Dice-K
LRP Miller
RP Albers
RP Hill
SU Aceves
SU Morales
CL Bailey

Crucis
06-04-2012, 02:03 AM
End of season lineup:
CF Ellsbury
2B Pedroia
1B Agon
3B Youkillis
DH Ortiz
RF Ross
C Salty
SS Aviles
LF Crawford

Bench
C Shoppach
INF Punto
3B Middlebrooks
OF Sweeney
OF Nava

Pitching end of season post season four man rotation dice k slides into long relief role
SP Beckett
SP Lester
SP Buchholz
SP Doubront
SP Dice-K
LRP Miller
RP Albers
RP Hill
SU Aceves
SU Morales
CL Bailey

First of all, what the heck is this comment doing in a Daniel Nava thread, when there's at least 1-2 other more apropos threads right now?

That said ...

You've made some serious oversights in your projected end of season roster.

Where's Bard? Where's Padilla? There may be some other overlooked pitchers but those two came to mind first for me.

MG956
06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
First of all, what the heck is this comment doing in a Daniel Nava thread, when there's at least 1-2 other more apropos threads right now?

That said ...

You've made some serious oversights in your projected end of season roster.

Where's Bard? Where's Padilla? There may be some other overlooked pitchers but those two came to mind first for me.

Not to mention Youk may be gone by the trading deadline.

As for Nava, he looks good now but is far from proven. Last year Lowrie came out with a hot bat for a spell and then went down the tubes.

goshhhjosh
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Like has been mentioned by a couple of other posters in here...Darnell MacDonald needs to go. Personally, I'd rather have Nava, due to him being a switch-hitter, being patient at the plate, etc.

I just think going forward there are more rewards having Nava on the roster than MacDonald.

Crucis
06-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Not to mention Youk may be gone by the trading deadline.

Well, yes, he may be gone, but I didn't want to nuke YK for making an assumption on something that's as uncertain as whether or not Youk would be traded. ;)

As for Nava, he looks good now but is far from proven. Last year Lowrie came out with a hot bat for a spell and then went down the tubes.

Well, the Sox have plenty of time to make up their minds. And arguably, maybe the Sox should trade Nava which his value is high. Regardless, if Nava and McDime weren't the choice for 5th OF, who's next? I'd lean toward Podsednik at the moment. Then again, we're stuck with small sample sizes for all of these options. A nice thing about Pods is that he can play CF and even at his age, he'd got very good speed.

TragicallyHip
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Agreed. Now would be an excellent time to trade Nava. I think it's obvious to all parties that he is not a long term Red Sox OF'er in that there are other guys that are ahead of him in the organizations view point.

Package him with Youk for something decent and I'd be thrilled.