PDA

View Full Version : Who Wins? All-Time Western Conference team, or the All-Time Eastern Conference team?

Bruno
06-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Which conference would win? For players/coaches who split time in both conferences, they are assigned to the conference where they played the bulk of their career. Which all-time conference takes a best of seven? Assume that all players are at their given peaks.

Western Conference:

Eastern Conference:

LoveMeOrHateMe
06-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Lol Durant over Baylor already smh West wins this though!

theheatles
06-02-2012, 06:19 PM
lol durant starting...close this

EL HEAT
06-02-2012, 06:27 PM
The west takes it.

They have to much size for the east.

ManRam
06-02-2012, 06:30 PM
The bigs for the West are huge...probably the difference maker. Hakeem is your 4th center? Wow. Malone your 4th PF. I mean, depth like that wouldn't matter in an actual game...but still.

The wings for the East are considerably better IMO...but the West have some great PGs. I think the West would win.

JordansBulls
06-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Which conference would win? For players/coaches who split time in both conferences, they are assigned to the conference where they played the bulk of their career. Which all-time conference takes a best of seven? Assume that all players are at their given peaks.

Western Conference:
PG: Magic Johnson/John Stockton/Jason Kidd
SG: Kobe Bryant/Jerry West
SF: Kevin Durant/Elgin Baylor
PF: Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett/Dirk Nowitzki/Karl Malone
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar/Wilt Chamberlain/Shaquille O'neal/Hakeem Olojuwon

Just missed the cut: (Steve Nash, David Robinson, Manu Ginobli).

Coach: Phil Jackson

Eastern Conference:

PG: Oscar Robertson/Issiah Thomas/Walt Frazier
SG: Michael Jordan/Julius Erving/Dwyane Wade
SF: Larry Bird/LeBron James/Scottie Pippen
PF: Charles Barkley/Kevin McHale/Elvin Hayes
C: Bill Russell/Moses Malone/Patrick Ewing

Just missed the cut: (Bob Pettit, Paul Pierce, John Havlicek).

Coach: Red Auerbach

If Duncan can start at PF I would say for the East Moses Malone could start at PF as well.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Lol Durant over Baylor already smh West wins this though!

lol durant starting...close this

Durant is by far the more efficient scorer:
Baylor: .494
Durant: .582

His peak win-share already surpasses Baylors peak single season win-share. The west needed floor spacing, and Baylor played in an era that pre-dated the three-point line; thus, he never needed to develop the three point shot. Durant spreads the floor, and has already produced on a level equal to Baylors peak. They're also tied in Championships, regular season MVPs, and all-star game MVPs. I bet neither of you have watched more than 2-3 minutes of Elgin Baylor footage in your lives. Reread the part of the paragraph where it says to assume that all players are in their physical primes.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 06:43 PM
If Duncan can start at PF I would say for the East Moses Malone could start at PF as well.

Did Moses ever play PF? I never got to watch him live.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 06:45 PM
The bigs for the West are huge...probably the difference maker. Hakeem is your 4th center? Wow. Malone your 4th PF. I mean, depth like that wouldn't matter in an actual game...but still.

The wings for the East are considerably better IMO...but the West have some great PGs. I think the West would win.

That's what i was thinking too but the four of them are fighting over 48 minutes. So the wests center advantage wouldn't really have as big of an impact. I think its a lot more interesting of a debate when you cancel out some of the wests strength at the center and PF. it'd probably be cooler to break this up by division. all time

MJ-BULLS
06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
magic johnson and kobe would be a deadly combination. the bigs for the team are huge.

StarvingKnick22
06-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Karl Malone should be atleast the 6th man. Plus Willis Reed should be there, and to be honest, Lebron should be starting over Larry Bird, despite Championships won
http://www.nba.com/media/video/jabbar_200_070423.jpg the one that got away (For the Knicks)

Bruno
06-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Karl Malone should be atleast the 6th man. Plus Willis Reed should be there, and to be honest, Lebron should be starting over Larry Bird, despite Championships won
http://www.nba.com/media/video/jabbar_200_070423.jpg the one that got away (For the Knicks)

I dono about Karl at 6th man I'd have him behind KG on the PF rotation alone.

I kind of agree about LeBron. but if people are already *****ing about Durant over Baylor then imagine the ****-storm that would come my way if I put LeBron over Bird.

Chronz
06-02-2012, 06:52 PM
I would start Durant too, not because hes proven to be greater but because of team fit. Though I would rather start Magic/West/Kobe.

With the east I would consider starting Moses ahead of Chuck. Moses would MURDER Kareem so it would be one of the matchups I would try to exploit.

I like the way the West could potentially mesh but Russ and MJ would be crazy defensively. Other than that what do you think would be the matchups? Would MJ defend Kobe, would Big O defend Durant or Magic? I would think you would try to hide Bird on Magic and vice versa since neither was terrific on the ball.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 06:54 PM
magic johnson and kobe would be a deadly combination. the bigs for the team are huge.

i know. prime Magic-Kobe-Durant on the fast break? throw it into Duncan and KAJ for the half-court.

east is pretty awesome too though. I think it'd six at least, i should have broken up the poll into games.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I would start Durant too, not because hes proven to be greater but because of team fit. Though I would rather start Magic/West/Kobe. that'd be great too. although you couldn't do it if you start LBJ at the three in the east. West couldn't guard MJ or LeBron, and O has too much in the back-pocket for him. i guess it wouldn't be a huge mis-match.

With the east I would consider starting Moses ahead of Chuck. Moses would MURDER Kareem so it would be one of the matchups I would try to exploit. are you basing that off their match-ups against each other head to head? side question- do you think KAJ is generally overrated?

I like the way the West could potentially mesh but Russ and MJ would be crazy defensively. Other than that what do you think would be the matchups? Would MJ defend Kobe, would Big O defend Durant or Magic? I would think you would try to hide Bird on Magic and vice versa since neither was terrific on the ball.
I think MJ and Kobe would guard each other, advantage east.
I think LeBron would guard Magic
I think I'd put Durants length on O, but O can't guard Durant.

the wing who isn't being guarded by LeBron or Jordan would tear it up for the west. west can't really match up with lbj or jordan.

east takes the wings in match-up, but i think the west takes it in the post. duncan and Shaq dominate.

lavell12
06-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Most of Wilt Chamberlain's glory years where in Philadelphia for the Warriors and Sixers so he should be on the east side. This would help the East a lot with the size gap.

Luke0842
06-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Most of Wilt Chamberlain's glory years where in Philadelphia for the Warriors and Sixers so he should be on the east side. This would help the East a lot with the size gap.

That's what I was thinking.

Chronz
06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
So Bird isnt starting then? Mixed feelings on the idea, hes the perfect glue guy, basically the only guy who is irreplaceable offensively but it would be hard to hide him.

I think starting Isiah would be good if you wanted to make Magic work. Either side could win, it depends on the coaching. And yes Moses would bully Kareem, I do think he was overrated defensively.

cle12152433
06-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Havlicek should have made the cut...I'll take him on my team any day. Guy won eight titles, another in college at Ohio State (followed by back to back appearances). I want someone one my team who knows how to play in a big game.

Vidball
06-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I go with the West. If we are talking about physical primes Shaq has to start - his peak was ridiculous! A prime Shaq would have loved playing with the Showtime Lakers.

cle12152433
06-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Wilt should probably be on the East. He was older with LA. Good, but his prime was in Philly.

cle12152433
06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Other than that these rosters are pretty solid. I'd put Lebron over Bird. Larry Legend was a fantastic player no doubt, but a game like this would require a do-it-all SF. I feel like Lebron has this edge. No dirt on Larry though. He's one of the all time greats.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Wilt should probably be on the East. He was older with LA. Good, but his prime was in Philly.

he has seven years in phili, seven in SF/LAL. one season between phili and sf, where he played more games for sf than phili.

Bruno
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
So Bird isnt starting then? Mixed feelings on the idea, hes the perfect glue guy, basically the only guy who is irreplaceable offensively but it would be hard to hide him.

I think starting Isiah would be good if you wanted to make Magic work. Either side could win, it depends on the coaching. And yes Moses would bully Kareem, I do think he was overrated defensively.

i'd start bird.

rather than people getting caught up in my starting line ups, it'd be better if people just created their own lineups out of each batch of 15 players and say what combos they thought would be the best. i'm just trying to provide a framework for the question with those lineups.

so since you wouldn't want a KAJ/Moses matchup if you were the coach of the west, you might start shaq to go against moses, based off who you think is best/what the best match ups are.

D.O.N.
06-02-2012, 09:02 PM
I go whit the west.

It's pretty close, the west is a lil bit better

DR_1
06-02-2012, 09:08 PM
LOL Wade on an all-time team :laugh:

Chronz
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
he has seven years in phili, seven in SF/LAL. one season between phili and sf, where he played more games for sf than phili.
I agree with these guys, Wilt spent his best days in the East. And 1 season with LA was injury ridden, you also did specify to picture these guys at their best.

It would give them a legit 2-way force and you could put D-Rob or someone in

Raps18-19 Champ
06-02-2012, 10:16 PM
The West big men will destroy the East.

I'd probably side West but with Bird and Jordan having amazing performances, I wouldn't hold it against the East to win.

Also, is the SF position really that thin for the East?

Raps18-19 Champ
06-02-2012, 10:17 PM
LOL Wade on an all-time team :laugh:

He's arguably a top 3 SG. Why not?

ManRam
06-02-2012, 10:36 PM
He's arguably a top 3 SG. Why not?

Yeah...I don't get why that's laughable....

DR_1
06-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Maybe I was a bit over the top lol I just don't see how Wade is a top 3 SG at all. Anyway, I think the West wins this one due to their size advantage. They even have it at the point with Magic.

JDMVP
06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I dont really see how you gonna be able to score or even Defend against a Kareem and Tim Duncan frontline

Chronz
06-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I dont really see how you gonna be able to score or even Defend against a Kareem and Tim Duncan frontline
Russell and Moses ring any bells?

unleashthebeast
06-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Russell and Moses ring any bells?

:laugh2: agreed

StinkEye
06-02-2012, 11:23 PM
East. Not gonna laugh at the lineups yet... I'm too drunk to evaluate.

DR_1
06-03-2012, 11:44 AM
East. Not gonna laugh at the lineups yet... I'm too drunk to evaluate.

:laugh2:

KnicksorBust
06-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Assuming Wilt is on the West, this is a close matchup.

To counter the West, I'd start Pippen on Magic, Jordan on Kobe, and Bird on Durant. I'd change the frontcourt and put Moses in at C to matchup against Kareem and Kevin McHale at PF against Duncan.

I'm still shocked at the depth of the West's frontcourt but I'm going East.

Baller1
06-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm going West because of the big men. Insane depth and talent.

JNA17
06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
West for the following reasons:

1. 3 lakers in the starting lineup (Magic, Kobe, Kareem), meaning the chemesty is just THAT much better alone.

2. West front court practically destroys the Easts (at the PF and C spot).

3. Too much scoring and defense...just too much lol.

4. More depth.

Yankeefan213
06-03-2012, 06:01 PM
How is Durant on there?

SanPitte
06-03-2012, 06:18 PM
for the East, i would go with Jordan, Bird and Lebron running the show
Russell at C and Ewing at PF (he can shoot mid-range jumpers and add size)

SoxRTattedOnMe
06-03-2012, 06:24 PM
And why is shaq on the west team????????????? Why not base it off who he played his first few seasons with?

Bruno
06-03-2012, 06:29 PM
And why is shaq on the west team?????????????
read the first paragraph.

Why not base it off who he played his first few seasons with?

Because that would be foolish.

Bruno
06-03-2012, 06:38 PM
trolls run psd.

Bishnoff
06-03-2012, 06:52 PM
The West would win this quite easily I'd say.

SanPitte
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
i don't think the west would win it, at least not so easily
Jordan is the GOAT, Larry is clutch, LBJ is probably the best player today, Russell won 11 titles, big O had a triple double average over a full season, Moses was a beast...
offensively the West MAY be better, but defensively the East is just too much
good defense always beat good offense

dh144498
06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
i don't think the west would win it, at least not so easily
Jordan is the GOAT, Larry is clutch, LBJ is probably the best player today, Russell won 11 titles, big O had a triple double average over a full season, Moses was a beast...
offensively the West MAY be better, but defensively the East is just too much
good defense always beat good offense

I have to disagree when applied to this situation. This offense is WAAAYYYY too much for the East defense. NO ONE can stop the west's bigs unless they double or triple, which just leaves Kobe and Durant open. Not to mention you have Magic....

Black24Momba8
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I love the west size but the east have the 2 greastest winners in NBA history(Jordan/Russell). What happen's when the east & Jordan take a page from the Zen Master and go triangle with a line up of

Wade
Jordan
Pippin
James
Russell

That line up looks like a souped up Bulls team Bron playing Rodman's spot & Wade playing Harper lol