PDA

View Full Version : Solo Shots

Dirty Ball Zack
06-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Can anyone tell me of the number of home runs hit by the jays how many have been (meaningless) solo shots? Its hard to ignore that most their homers have come as solo shots

Krylian
06-02-2012, 04:19 PM
How do you differentiate between meaningless solo shots and meaningful solo shots?

Dirty Ball Zack
06-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Forget that I put meaningless in there. We all know the Jays aren't clutch, nearly all of their homers are meaningless. Anyways, just want to know of all the homers how may are solo shots since the beginning of the year... I bet its a ridiculous number

1hardcore
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
It's the same **** from 2 years ago when Cito was at the helm.. "See the ball well... hit it out of the park " Which is why they need to fire Murphy.

Another thing too. When was the last time a Jay actually hit a good .300 Avg other than JB??

StealingSigns
06-02-2012, 05:07 PM
It's the same **** from 2 years ago when Cito was at the helm.. "See the ball well... hit it out of the park " Which is why they need to fire Murphy.

Another thing too. When was the last time a Jay actually hit a good .300 Avg???

How do you differentiate between a good .300 Avg and a bad .300 Avg?

Hi-fives Krylian :cool:

dtmagnet
06-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Not sure I understand this thread, solo home runs are bad?

Toxeryll
06-02-2012, 06:05 PM

dont u know, walks/singles >>> solo hrs

1hardcore
06-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Hi-fives Krylian :cool:

Dude ..... The Jays are 21st in the Majors in Hitting. I'll clarify...just somebody who's a consistent. 2 years ago i was fed up with the solo shots because it seems like that's all they can do. How bout hitting for average and The Home runs will be there regardless!

1hardcore
06-02-2012, 07:30 PM
How do you differentiate between meaningless solo shots and meaningful solo shots?

Example...

When your losing 6 to 1 in the 9th inning.....

3 solo shots wont help you win which is what i noticed in some of the games IMO

StealingSigns
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Dude ..... The Jays are 21st in the Majors in Hitting. I'll clarify...just somebody who's a consistent. 2 years ago i was fed up with the solo shots because it seems like that's all they can do. How bout hitting for average and The Home runs will be there regardless!

K, and I'll clarify as well.
a) I was joking around
b) OPS is where its at

You can have a team with a high batting average, and yet still manage to score at a mediocre pace. You seldom see that with teams who have a high OPS...

wamco
06-02-2012, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=StealingSigns;22386138]How do you differentiate between a good .300 Avg and a bad .300 Avg?

ya, was thinking the same thing

wamco
06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
K, and I'll clarify as well.
a) I was joking around
b) OPS is where its at

You can have a team with a high batting average, and yet still manage to score at a mediocre pace. You seldom see that with teams who have a high OPS...

exactly. ops directly correlates to runs scored.

multi run hr would be great and they'll come over time. I think rasmus and lawrie will have monster 2nd halfs

Dirty Ball Zack
06-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Its not that they are bad its just that solo shots obviously dont pack much of a punch for a team jockeying for position in a super competetive division.

Furthermore, what's bad is when you have a hitting coach touting the same thing for all hitters who have different skill sets.

You know,like a certain hitting coach of Dwayne Murphy teaching ALL his players to be clones of Dwaye Murphy in his prime... For example David Cooper might be a great hitter, not just a power guy, but as soon as he gets up to the big leagues he might be taught how to be the next Dwayne Murphy (power at the expense of batting avg) because that's all Dwayne Murphy can relate to.

Even worse would be having to send players in a hitting funk down to AAA for guidance from the organization's AAA hitting coach (Chad Mottola) because the current big league hitting coach fails to coach his own hitters out of a funk. Oh wait, that's what we seem to be doing

Krylian
06-03-2012, 12:02 PM
:up:

Hi-fives Krylian

:cool:

dtmagnet
06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Its not that they are bad its just that solo shots obviously dont pack much of a punch for a team jockeying for position in a super competetive division.

Furthermore, what's bad is when you have a hitting coach touting the same thing for all hitters who have different skill sets.

You know,like a certain hitting coach of Dwayne Murphy teaching ALL his players to be clones of Dwaye Murphy in his prime... For example David Cooper might be a great hitter, not just a power guy, but as soon as he gets up to the big leagues he might be taught how to be the next Dwayne Murphy (power at the expense of batting avg) because that's all Dwayne Murphy can relate to.

Even worse would be having to send players in a hitting funk down to AAA for guidance from the organization's AAA hitting coach (Chad Mottola) because the current big league hitting coach fails to coach his own hitters out of a funk. Oh wait, that's what we seem to be doing

I'm sorry, but how do you know what Murphy tells the hitters during BP? Do you attend their hitting sessions and listen in on their instructions? Also hitting coaches have very little impact on players, these guys are major leaguers its on them if they're not getting their job done.

Dirty Ball Zack
06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry, but how do you know what Murphy tells the hitters during BP? Do you attend their hitting sessions and listen in on their instructions? Also hitting coaches have very little impact on players, these guys are major leaguers its on them if they're not getting their job done.

No I'm not there at batting Practice obviously. I don't listen in on their instructions. Sheeesh, tough crowd.

However you can't deny that it seems the whole team has the same or very simialr appraoch. And the entire teams hitting results are reflective of Dwayne Murphy circa 1985!

TO Rapz
06-03-2012, 12:45 PM
No I'm not there at batting Practice obviously. I don't listen in on their instructions. Sheeesh, tough crowd.

However you can't deny that it seems the whole team has the same or very simialr appraoch. And the entire teams hitting results are reflective of Dwayne Murphy circa 1985!

And then the notorious fact that the guys in the minors such as Yan Gomes, and Cooper come up and have a different approach (albeit Cooper doesn't have power), but hit the ball better and have a better approach..

Dirty Ball Zack
06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
And then the notorious fact that the guys in the minors such as Yan Gomes, and Cooper come up and have a different approach (albeit Cooper doesn't have power), but hit the ball better and have a better approach..

...until the league caught (or eventually catches) up to them. Then confusion as to who they are as a hitter, and then demotion to figure themselves out... etc..etc..

Hey all guys coming up from the minors, Snider too?

Dirty Ball Zack
06-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Also hitting coaches have very little impact on players, these guys are major leaguers its on them if they're not getting their job done.

Every team in MLB has a hitting coach, each getting paid a lot of money.

If you're correct in that they have little or no impact, why do hitting coaches exist and why do they collect a paycheck?

dtmagnet
06-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Every team in MLB has a hitting coach, each getting paid a lot of money.

If you're correct in that they have little or no impact, why do hitting coaches exist and why do they collect a paycheck?

They are there to point out flaws in guys timing or mechanics, they can't turn scrubs into all-stars.

TO Rapz
06-03-2012, 02:48 PM
...until the league caught (or eventually catches) up to them. Then confusion as to who they are as a hitter, and then demotion to figure themselves out... etc..etc..

Hey all guys coming up from the minors, Snider too?

I was agreeing with you lol, I'm on the fire Murphy bandwagon.

Jamiecballer
06-03-2012, 03:51 PM
They are there to point out flaws in guys timing or mechanics, they can't turn scrubs into all-stars.

no but they can seriously confuse a hitter and cause them to second guess themselves

TO Rapz
06-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Btw, I think Joey bats saw this thread today.

mtf
06-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Also hitting coaches have very little impact on players, these guys are major leaguers its on them if they're not getting their job done.

Why are people so quick to divert blame away from the hitting coach when things are going bad, but so quick to give them credit when a team is hitting well.

It's no secret that Dwayne Murphy teaches a pull happy style of hitting. It's great for single game outbursts against a struggling pitcher, but it doesn't lead to consistency.