PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers on Heat's small ball: "Just throw (the ball) in the air!"

Wade>You
06-02-2012, 03:09 PM
"Throw it up!" Doc Rivers told Rondo and his teammates. Garnett is the tallest player on the floor, and sometimes basketball can be so simple this way. "Throw it up in the air," Rivers told them. "Kevin will go get it."

So they started lobbing passes over the fronting Heat defenders, and there was Garnett catching the ball and making his moves on Miami. Garnett had made his career shooting those arching jumpers, but he was determined to pound the Heat inside the paint.

This made life easier for the Celtics' shooters, and Paul Pierce (23 points) and Ray Allen (10 points) benefited. Most of all, Garnett, Piece and Rondo made 18 trips to the free-throw line.

I'm sure you guys remember how many times Garnett caught a lob pass in the paint and made us pay for going small.

Unless Spo purposely threw this game in order to extend the series for Bosh (could very well be true), we're really getting embarrassed on the floor w/ small ball and the next team we face (if we advance) will definitely kill us for going small.

- This fronting of post players is growing real old, real soon. Teams are adjusting, the Heat are not.
- Stop playing Battier at PF and LeBron at Center, FFS.
- Start playing Turiaf and Pittman more so Garnett begins to settle for more jumpshots like he has every day before game 3.

Look at the minutes certain players got in game 1, how easy that game was, then look at the minutes that certain players got in games 2 and 3, and why those games were a lot tougher than game 1.

justinnum1
06-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh look, another blame spo thread. :facepalm:

piratepete
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
well who else would play lebron at center? with atony or turiaf not in foul trouble explane that

justinnum1
06-02-2012, 09:26 PM
well who else would play lebron at center? with atony or turiaf not in foul trouble explane that

And what would either of them do? They cant guard KG, and KG would be able to help on defense not having to worry about them.

Jay16
06-02-2012, 11:28 PM

You need to explain your spelling.

Jay16
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
BTW didn't that small lineup actually get us to the point where we had a chance in the fourth ?

Come on SpoHaters, try something else. It's like you guys throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.

JC_
06-03-2012, 02:16 AM
They just need to not front him so much

Slug3
06-03-2012, 03:58 AM
This is where Bosh would beyond help us. Putting him at Center and pulling KG out of the paint. If KG doesnt want to guard him then he can just hit his jumper.

MadBomber
06-03-2012, 05:46 AM
This is where Bosh would beyond help us. Putting him at Center and pulling KG out of the paint. If KG doesnt want to guard him then he can just hit his jumper.

Yah, If I was coach Rivers I would do exactly the same thing. I think this was the problem with the Pacers last series, they went away from the post and didn't pound Miami inside.

Miami doesn't have personnel that can check Garnett or make him play honest defense, which is why I would agree with you on that Bosh comment. He helps spread the floor out by pulling Garnett out the lane opening up lanes for Wade/Lebron.

Boston is more of a threat when they get Garnett involved.

kntresistheheat
06-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't know about you guys but I thought Anthony was very effective at center. Defense wise. I went back to see game 1 and he did very well against Garnett. I don't know, that's just my opinion.

justinnum1
06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't know about you guys but I thought Anthony was very effective at center. Defense wise. I went back to see game 1 and he did very well against Garnett. I don't know, that's just my opinion.

KG was not rolling to the rim off picks in game 1, in game 3 he was attacking the rim every time and getting the ball right near the rim, we need to prevent that from happening.

zeppelin6601
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
No way we threw that game because of Bosh. Not when we're only up by 2. If we were up by 3 in the series then maybe, but the C's still have a chance to get back in this. We lost that game because our defense was lackadaisical at best. A lot of the time Rondo would charge at the basket with half our team just looking at him as he drives by, each of them expecting the other guy to cover Rondo.

justinnum1
06-03-2012, 03:42 PM
No way we threw that game because of Bosh. Not when we're only up by 2. If we were up by 3 in the series then maybe, but the C's still have a chance to get back in this. We lost that game because our defense was lackadaisical at best. A lot of the time Rondo would charge at the basket with half our team just looking at him as he drives by, each of them expecting the other guy to cover Rondo.

Yep, defense was just awful that game. Our defense is predicated on energy. Hopefully we play with a lot more energy on the defensive end tonight. Our best offense is a great defense.