PDA

View Full Version : Official Red Sox Trade Deadline Thread

Green_Monster
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Who do you expect to be moved? Who do you see the Sox trading for?

Post all rumors here.

Celtic AL
06-02-2012, 07:18 PM
i see youk getting traded for some mlb ready spects or some help to fill some needs. and i see teams calling the sox for Scott Atchison but thats if the sox start slumping again

Green_Monster
06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Now that the trade chatter has started, it’ll likely gather momentum in anticipation of the July 31st non-waiver deadline. It could be a long eight weeks for Kevin Youkilis.

The rumors have teams such as the Dodgers, Phillies, Diamondbacks and White Sox interested in acquiring the infielder from his longtime team, the Red Sox. It’s a topic Youkilis prefers to avoid.

“I’m here to play against the Jays,” he said on his way to the indoor batting cages before Sunday’s game in Toronto.

While Youkilis would rather focus on his next at bat than his next team, some players attempt to deflect the rumors and speculation that surround them with a little humor.

“Any Cody Ross rumors?” Jarrod Saltalamacchia inquired with the outfielder himself sitting nearby (in case you’re wondering, there are no new Ross rumors).

Second baseman Dustin Pedroia has had more down time than usual since last Monday, when he injured his right thumb. But Pedroia hasn’t spent the time seeking and digesting the latest updates on his team.

“What’s the rumor mill?” he asked without apparent irony.

Pedroia maintains that he’s not an internet person and that even a mobile phone can be excessive, so his indifference to the trade talk comes as no surprise. His teammates showed a little more curiosity, half-jokingly wondering aloud about possible trade targets for the Red Sox.

It’s nothing more than idle chatter now, but there’s no denying Youkilis’ future in Boston seems less defined than ever before. Will Middlebrooks is emerging as an option at third base, so opposing teams are starting to call general manager Ben Cherington about possible deals.

The Red Sox maintain that they’re not looking to move Youkilis, whose contract includes a $13MM club option for 2013 ($1MM buyout). But until the trade deadline passes two months from now, Youkilis figures to deflect countless questions as onlookers, his teammates included, are left to speculate.

•The Phillies and Diamondbacks have been in Toronto scouting third baseman Kevin Youkilis, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. Earlier today, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com identified the Phillies and D'Backs as two of ten clubs that could be in the chase for the veteran.
•Youkilis is too good to just simply give away, opines John Tomase of the Boston Herald. Instead of selling Youkilis now because plays the same position as rising star Will Middlebrooks, Tomase would like to see the Red Sox find a way to keep him in the lineup.

-MLB Trade Rumors

Sarge
06-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading Cafardo's possible trade targets for the sox on Boston.com....don't waste your time.

BGeer091
06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Its crazy to think that 4 years ago, we were coming off a World Series. We had some nice young players developing in the farm. The future was looking pretty damn bright. In 08 we were a healthy Beckett from winning it all again.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED....

Our management really has made some horrible moves. I don't want to rehash the past, but more bring up the point that hopefully we do not screw up this deadline.

Mainly the Youk situation. He's going to be a hot commodity at or around the deadline. Teams will be fighting to get him. Can for once like absolutely win on a deal.

jtchilln
06-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Players I could see being moved at the deadline-

Youk
Morales
Atchinson
Ross
Sweeney

*Long Shot*...........Beckett

grandsalami
06-10-2012, 10:26 PM

Youk
Morales
Atchinson
Ross-
Sweeney

Beckett better not be moved, he has been one of our best starters this season

jtchilln
06-10-2012, 10:28 PM
^^^^.....i'd have no problem moving Beckett for the right deal. 2-3 top specs.

gustofer1
06-11-2012, 05:52 AM

Youk
Morales
Atchinson
Ross
Sweeney

I want to keep Ross and Sweeney both. I don't want to move Beckett unless it's in a deal where we include someone like Youk or a few position player prospects and we get good enough names to swap them for a pitcher like Hamels or Felix. In the same deal, they're worth more than they are in separate ones.

I see Youk, Shoppach, maybe someone like Punto or Pods being moved if Ells/Crawford come back 100%. Also I see Shoppach and guys like Iglesias and Nava as possible trade bait. We have a lot to offer up, which means if we get enough B/B+ prospects in return we could make a big deal provided we get a move on soon.

Nomar
06-11-2012, 06:18 AM
I sort of wouldnt mind if we dealt sweeney if Kalish is going to produce as much as Sweeney has.

SoxFan0407
06-11-2012, 07:44 AM
I sort of wouldnt mind if we dealt sweeney if Kalish is going to produce as much as Sweeney has.

I'd have to agree. No matter how much I like Sweeney, if Kalish can come up and provide the same production and hustle I'd trade Sweeney in a heart beat. I'm sure he'd be a plus supplement to any deal right about now.

Sarge
06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm to the point with this team that I'm ready for the fire sale. With the exception of maybe Doubront and Pedroia I'd shop just about everyone with an eye in 2014-15. Trade em all and let the kids play. It would have to be more fun to watch.

RedSoxtober
06-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm to the point with this team that I'm ready for the fire sale. With the exception of maybe Doubront and Pedroia I'd shop just about everyone with an eye in 2014-15. Trade em all and let the kids play. It would have to be more fun to watch.

My only hesitation would be that several of the bigger names (e.g., Gonzalez, Lester) would be sold at low points. On the whole I agree, though.

Sarge
06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
My only hesitation would be that several of the bigger names (e.g., Gonzalez, Lester) would be sold at low points. On the whole I agree, though.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, just don't trade to trade, but shop everyone. Maybe a couple of big names getting shipped out would make some of these guys wake up. I started watching this team in the 70s, and This is one of the least fun teams to watch in a while

gustofer1
06-11-2012, 10:47 AM

Don't foret Beckett, although at this point in his career he's not doing too bad I guess. I agree Sarge, shopping the big names isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure if the names we get back would help the team at all, but I am sick of seeing Youk at first and A-Gon in RF just to find a place for WMB to play.

Sarge
06-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Don't foret Beckett, although at this point in his career he's not doing too bad I guess. I agree Sarge, shopping the big names isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure if the names we get back would help the team at all, but I am sick of seeing Youk at first and A-Gon in RF just to find a place for WMB to play.

I'd be looking for specs that would help the team in a couple years.

gustofer1
06-11-2012, 12:14 PM
I'd be looking for specs that would help the team in a couple years.

Guys with good ceilings who aren't quite MLB ready? I think it could go both ways, we could acquire pieces of that ilk and either keep them or trade them for Felix. Either way, we're helping our club for the future provided we can sign him long-term if we go for him.

BGeer091
06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I am in favor of a fire sale. I don't believe we actually have to trade everyone. However we could move 3 of our bigger names and really load up the farm system.

1. Youk(obv) My suggested deal is Youk + Aceves + Shoppach to LAD for Fedz + Lee + Withrow + Blake Smith

2. Crawford to SFG for Zito

3. Lester to ATL for Minor + Gilmartin +
or to Det for Turner +

gustofer1
06-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I am in favor of a fire sale. I don't believe we actually have to trade everyone. However we could move 3 of our bigger names and really load up the farm system.

1. Youk(obv) My suggested deal is Youk + Aceves + Shoppach to LAD for Fedz + Lee + Withrow + Blake Smith

2. Crawford to SFG for Zito

3. Lester to ATL for Minor + Gilmartin +
or to Det for Turner +

I'm more for trading Ells than Crawford. We really haven't even seen what he can do in a BRS uni. I think Ells has more trade value, even though he has had his injury issues as well, and even in spite of his undeniable want for testing the FA market due to being a Boras client. I also think Zito won't do much for us at all. Not sure what kind of value Lester has, either, and I think Buch or Bard would be more replaceable in the long term than he will. I think Beckett + Youk will bring the most back, obviously considering Beckett's track record discounting his lackluster performances and inconsistant performance year-to-year. Long story short, we're pretty much stuck with the cards Theo delt us before he dipped for Chi-town unless you're ready to yield less than what we gave up for guys like A-Gon and (WAR$) Crawford.