PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Reach Agreement in Principle with Neil Olshey

kylem4711
06-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Fantastic News!

The Los Angeles Clippers announced today that an agreement in principle has been reached between the team and Vice President of Basketball Operations Neil Olshey. As usual, no terms of the agreement were made public.
The 2011-12 campaign marked Olshey's second season as the Clippers' Vice President of Basketball Operations and his ninth overall season with the organization. Olshey began his career as Director of Player Development prior to the start of the 2003-04 season and served as an assistant coach during the 2004-05 campaign before holding the title of Director of Player Personnel from 2005-08. Olshey was promoted to the role of Assistant General Manager prior to the start of the 2008-09 season, holding that position for two seasons until being named Vice President of Basketball Operations prior to the start of the 2010-11 campaign.

After spearheading an exhaustive search that brought the Clippers new head coach Vinny Del Negro prior to the start of the 2010-11 season, Olshey retooled the roster prior to the start of the 2011-12 campaign. During a six-day span, Olshey added two-time All-Star Caron Butler, five-time All-Star Chauncey Billups, re-signed athletic center DeAndre Jordan and through the biggest trade in franchise history, brought in All-Star point guard Chris Paul. In addition, without a first round selection in the 2011 NBA Draft, Olshey was still able to solidify the Clippers bench by nabbing Georgia teammates Trey Thompkins (37th overall) and Travis Leslie (47th overall) in the second round. In addition to these moves, Olshey made three key acquisitions with the free agent signing of veteran big men Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin and the trade deadline deal to acquire swingman Nick Young from the Washington Wizards. Adding these players to the returning core of 2011 NBA Rookie of the Year Blake Griffin, All-Star point guard Mo Williams, 2011 All-Rookie Second Team guard Eric Bledsoe and solid rotation players Randy Foye and Ryan Gomes, the Clippers had one of the deepest rosters in the NBA this season.

Prior to joining the Clippers, Olshey served as Director of Player Development for SFX Sports Group, Inc. where he created, organized and conducted Pre-Draft and Off Season Training Camps for future and current NBA players. The Pre-Draft Camps produced 15 Lottery picks, 25 First Round selections and 57 NBA players. Participants in Olshey's Off Season skill development clinics include more than 85 current NBA players including numerous All Stars and All-NBA selections. He has also served as a Head Coach/Clinician at the Reebok ABCD Camp, the Roundball Classic and numerous NCAA basketball camps throughout the country.

Upon graduation from LeMoyne College in 1987 he was honored with the "Outstanding Senior Athlete" Award. Olshey and his wife Leslie reside in Manhattan Beach with their sons Connor and James.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Good job by Clips, I thought they were going to lose him to Portland. Good thing Sterling (for the first time in his life) opened up his pockets. He did the right thing.

Osheiy is the guy responsible for creating this new culture in Clipperland.

KnicksorBust
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
There is no arguing that he did acquire an impressive amount of talent/experience in a very short time.

Chronz
06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I guess there is no one else available so its better to lock up a decent GM than risk signing a worse one.

xabial
He got lucky Landing the 1st Overall pick to Draft Griffin.

Could Very as well be another Cleveland Situation With leBron.

They Didn't mention him Trading (The Pick that Turned Out To be Kyrie Irving), and Baron Davis For Mo Williams.

jraygoza
Thank you Los Angeles Clippers and Donald Sterling for opening your pockets :clap::speechless:

Chronz
Good job by Clips, I thought they were going to lose him to Portland. Good thing Sterling (for the first time in his life) opened up his pockets. He did the right thing.

First time doing what now?

KnicksorBust
06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I guess there is no one else available so its better to lock up a decent GM than risk signing a worse one.

You don't like his moves?

kylem4711
06-01-2012, 09:09 PM

um, he signed baron davis...... Thats a good reason to never open your wallet again.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-01-2012, 09:12 PM
um, he signed baron davis...... Thats a good reason to never open your wallet again.

Haha true.

airforceones25
06-01-2012, 09:39 PM
He got lucky Landing the 1st Overall pick to Draft Griffin.

Could Very as well be another Cleveland Situation With leBron.

They Didn't mention him Trading (The Pick that Turned Out To be Kyrie Irving), and Baron Davis For Mo Williams.

Uneducated fans continue to beat a dead horse I see. :facepalm:

I'm sure you're the same fan that screams conspiracy theory. Which would in fact fall under the exact same circumstances is this lottery. You people are ridiculous!

xabial
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Uneducated fans continue to beat a dead horse I see. :facepalm:

I'm sure you're the same fan that screams conspiracy theory. Which would in fact fall under the exact same circumstances is this lottery. You people are ridiculous!

Uneducated Fans Don't know how risky Trading an unprotected Draft Pick Is.

Poor Decision Not To Protect the Pick at least Top-1.

He got Lucky Drafting Blake Griffin because he's good enough to Revive a Franchise.

Is he the Worst GM? No. I just think he's a little overrated.

Not a bad trade for Chris Paul Though, even though he traded (another) unprotected First Round Pick this time From The Timberwolves. That one could've been a #1, too because the Wolves suck year after year (With gradual improvement)

Sometimes First Overall Picks Become Busts, But Blake's proven he's worth being Drafted #1.

Gritz
06-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Who?

Chronz
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
It doesnt take a genius to pull off no brainers. Im more impressed by someone like Morey consistently finding rotational players in the 2nd round than someone landing a star.

The move for the star will yield better team results but it takes real skill in talent evaluations to find diamonds in the rough.

Dont get me wrong hes a decent GM from what Ive seen, but that Butler deal was dumb as ****.

kylem4711
06-02-2012, 01:15 AM
It doesnt take a genius to pull off no brainers. Im more impressed by someone like Morey consistently finding rotational players in the 2nd round than someone landing a star.

The move for the star will yield better team results but it takes real skill in talent evaluations to find diamonds in the rough.

Dont get me wrong hes a decent GM from what Ive seen, but that Butler deal was dumb as ****.
Clips had to overpay land a name. We can blame the history and sterling for that one. I think signing caron was more to show the clips were serious

Chronz
06-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Clips had to overpay land a name. We can blame the history and sterling for that one. I think signing caron was more to show the clips were serious
Focusing on the name brand is never a good excuse IMO, particularly when you have to overpay. The midseason moves were excellent tho. But I give CP3 credit for Reggie and K-Mart since he suggested/recruited them.

If he can unload Butler on someone (highly unlikely) then I will be impressed. Otherwise I would rather have a GM who could land a player better than Caron with a late draft pick ala Morey rather than tie up valuable cap space.

kylem4711
06-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Focusing on the name brand is never a good excuse IMO, particularly when you have to overpay. The midseason moves were excellent tho. But I give CP3 credit for Reggie and K-Mart since he suggested/recruited them.

If he can unload Butler on someone (highly unlikely) then I will be impressed. Otherwise I would rather have a GM who could land a player better than Caron with a late draft pick ala Morey rather than tie up valuable cap space.

I agree with what you are saying, im just saying that sometime you have to send a message.

doesn't selecting good draft picks reflect the scouting department more than the gm?

Chronz
06-02-2012, 01:29 PM

I agree with what you are saying, im just saying that sometime you have to send a message.

doesn't selecting good draft picks reflect the scouting department more than the gm?
I guess it would depend on the gm and how much responsibility he takes, Morey is fully hands on. If the GM just drafts with little to no accountability then is that really good sign?

The only message I get from the Carton signing is one of desperation but the players prolly like it so I get your point.

Cracka2HI!
06-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I love this! He is very important to us being able to keep Griffin and Paul! I think he's done a great job so far!!