PDA

View Full Version : Gaborik- Torn Rotator Cuff

yankees1088
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Gaborik will be sidelined for 6 months, after going through a procedure to fix a torn rotator cuff. He played through most of the playoffs with the injury.

Explains a lot about his lackluster performance, especially against the Devils.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7996525/new-york-rangers-marian-gaborik-6-months-rotator-cuff-surgery-report-says

MJL80
06-01-2012, 12:13 PM
unreal...... looks like we may have no choice but to pull the trigger on a potential trade to get that scorer we need in here after all

NYY09
06-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Come on Slats, work some magic here, get the team some added scoring FFS.

fingerbang
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
They call him Mr. Glass.

averymustgo
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Please, Leetch played while getting his shoulder frozen and still led the playoff in points. Gaborik is soft. That's just a fact. You can't rely on him to score in the playoffs. Thus, why the team has to get another big scorer and somebody they think will score in the playoffs.

NYR_NYJ
06-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Not surprised to hear this.

I remember him getting drilled against Ottawa and holding his shoulder .

IAmARanger18
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
They call him Mr. Glass.

Typical comment, the guy scores 41 goals this year and somebody finds a way to hate on him. The man played on an injury the whole playoffs, unbelievable the hate he is getting, its disgusting.

He has been the BEST Ranger forward for 2 of the last 3 season, 40 goals twice, I HATE fake fans.

NYG4Life
06-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Typical comment, the guy scores 41 goals this year and somebody finds a way to hate on him. The man played on an injury the whole playoffs, unbelievable the hate he is getting, its disgusting.

He has been the BEST Ranger forward for 2 of the last 3 season, 40 goals twice, I HATE fake fans.

I totally agree with you, gaborik has been our best since he got here. the fact that people wanna call him soft or unclutch are ridiculous. he played 77 games in 10 and all 82 this year, that doesnt sound soft to me. there is no better player in terms of scoring that we could acquire this offseason so enough about the trading gaborik idea.

fingerbang
06-01-2012, 04:51 PM
You can't be ****ing serious. You just can't be.

I call a guy a guy who was injured this year, last year, the year before that, the year before the year before that, the year before the year before the year before that... Mr. Glass and you take offense to it.

Get real brotha. He's one of the most injury prone players around.

IAmARanger18
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
You can't be ****ing serious. You just can't be.

I call a guy a guy who was injured this year, last year, the year before that, the year before the year before that, the year before the year before the year before that... Mr. Glass and you take offense to it.

Get real brotha. He's one of the most injury prone players around.

Yeah I'm ****ing serious bro, let me guess your a guy who wants a team full of 10 Callahan's who will score you 18-23 goals a year, which will put you in the bottom 15 of goals scored a year.

See how far that team takes you.

fingerbang
06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Listen up, ******. I never said anything about not wanting Gaborik on the team. Where you got that from is completely beyond me. I called him "Mr. Glass" because... he is. And then you came in here and said I wasn't a real fan because you're a *******.

nyr1980
06-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Mr. Glass is a bit unfair. In 3 years as a Ranger, he's only missed 26 games. Granted, now he'll miss 20 more. Still, not the end of the world. He misses 4-6 weeks at the beginning of the season while rehabbing an injury he played through for 2 months. I can live with that.

nyr1980
06-01-2012, 09:03 PM
This could actually be a blessing.

1) At least it's not his legs or a concussion.
2) might make Slats more aggressive-hopefully not overly- in acquiring someone.
3) He'll be fresher and rounding into form down the stretch.
4) it's like a trade you make when he comes back.

nyr1980
06-01-2012, 09:03 PM
This could actually be a blessing.

1) At least it's not his legs or a concussion.
2) might make Slats more aggressive-hopefully not overly- in acquiring someone.
3) He'll be fresher and rounding into form down the stretch.
4) it's like a trade you make when he comes back.

bsi
06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Gaborik can't win eh, if he goes down with the injury he's a wimp, if he plays with it and doesn't produce he sucks. I applaud him for not giving up during playoffs. I had a blown shoulder and I could barely lift the hockey stick let alone get into a corner with people trying to put you through the boards. Hopefully he recovers fully, we need him.

mikel816
06-01-2012, 11:46 PM
He's missed less games then a lot of players on this team in the same span. And he played threw the injury. Give him some credit. Do I think he's soft yes but there's different types of players he's not a big body grinder. Would you call Gretzky soft no but Gretzky didn't want to get hit. My opinion of him threw these playoffs changed once I found out he played hurt. And if he had just shut it down after he got hurt the rangers wouldn't have got out of the second round.

fingerbang
06-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Gaborik can't win eh, if he goes down with the injury he's a wimp, if he plays with it and doesn't produce he sucks. I applaud him for not giving up during playoffs. I had a blown shoulder and I could barely lift the hockey stick let alone get into a corner with people trying to put you through the boards. Hopefully he recovers fully, we need him.

Listen, I'm not calling him a wimp or a sissy, just pointing out the fact that he gets injured all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVuKlcNJYA

He was banged up this season. He'll be banged up to start next season. He was banged up last season and put up crap production. He got banged up towards the end of his first season here. He was injured all the time back in Minny. If you do the math you figure he's got about a 20% chance of being healthy when the playoffs roll around each year.

He's a great player but he's one of those guys that's constantly injured. There's no denying that.

fingerbang
06-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Just to be clear, playing games DOES NOT mean you're healthy. He played in the playoffs but was obviously injured for almost all the games.

nyr1980
06-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Well, that's part of professional sports, in particular the more physical ones like hockey. Few of these guys are ever at 100%.

And you can talk about Gaborik being injury prone all you want from earlier in his career, but those were all leg injuries which he put surgery off on for years and has been no issue since he had the surgery.

He missed 20 games between a concussion and a shoulder separation in 10-11. Other than that, he's missed 5 or 6 games all while scoring 105 goals and 210 points. And just because a guy struggles on the postseason one year or for a while doesn't mean that will always be the case.

And let's not forget, he had a great series against OTT, and was great for MIN back in '03. I'm cool with him moving forward.

fingerbang
06-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Well, that's part of professional sports, in particular the more physical ones like hockey. Few of these guys are ever at 100%.

And you can talk about Gaborik being injury prone all you want from earlier in his career, but those were all leg injuries which he put surgery off on for years and has been no issue since he had the surgery.

He missed 20 games between a concussion and a shoulder separation in 10-11. Other than that, he's missed 5 or 6 games all while scoring 105 goals and 210 points. And just because a guy struggles on the postseason one year or for a while doesn't mean that will always be the case.

And let's not forget, he had a great series against OTT, and was great for MIN back in '03. I'm cool with him moving forward.

Oh, he only missed 20 games in 10-11? Well, he missed zero games in the postseason so I guess he must have been completely healthy, right?

nyr1980
06-02-2012, 05:46 AM
No, he wasn't. And we know that now. Guys get hurt, you play through it as best you can, and sometimes your production suffers. Half the team was probably playing through something. And he's not the only one who had a subpar playoff or series vs. NJ. You win and lose as a team.

fingerbang
06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
No, he wasn't. And we know that now. Guys get hurt, you play through it as best you can, and sometimes your production suffers. Half the team was probably playing through something. And he's not the only one who had a subpar playoff or series vs. NJ. You win and lose as a team.

And I agree with that but it still doesn't change anything about Gaborik being extremely injury prone.

nyr1980
06-02-2012, 03:37 PM
20 or so games over 3 seasons is hardly representative of using the words "constantly" or "extremely" to describe the frequency of his injuries since becoming a Ranger.

Part of his history also lies in the fact that he's a great player and that puts a target on his back. He's constantly got a body on him and plays shift after shift against the other teams best pair or top defense unit. Yet he's managed 105 goals over 220 games as a Ranger. Not too many guys in the league give you that production.

J4KOP99
06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I respect him for playing with it. Not his fault he got injured... sucks for us though. Now we badly need another big-time forward.

Isca92
06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Hes not soft, hes fragile. He still went to the net, kinda stayed out of corners but I don't blame him, he was banged up and still gave what he had in the tank. It doesn't matter if its the same injury or not but he gets injured often, other guys that remind me of that Martin Havlat (usually gets banged up in the season) Ryan Kessler (has been injured in or for the playoffs last 2 seasons, played through it) Tyler Hall (has had big injuries in first 2 seasons of the league).

The speed of the game and the size of the players in the last 10 years have increased which is going to make injuries increase. But when the same players constantly get hurt doesnt mean they are soft, means they are fragile or molded from the same piece of glass as the others. Soft is that basketball player that got wheeled off the court cause he hurt his shoulder (only follow hockey, just remembered it happening Im sure some you guys know who he is).

ElementCo27
06-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I understand everyone's concern with Gaborik's health, but you have to look at this from a very bright side. This guy didn't miss one game this season and he has never done that before in his career so give him credit. He played 102 straight, two seven-game series in a row, and a six game series afterwards. He still put it through to play those games no matter what. Now, I've never suffered a torn rotator cuff, but I would assume that trying to put up those shots that he put up weren't the most enjoyable thing to do, but he still did it for the team. Him being able to do that, to me, is mind-blowingly astonishing and actually brightens his durability. I think he set himself the goal to not miss a game, and will hopefully bring the same mentality next season and do even better.

As much as I would have loved to see this team in the finals instead of the Devils, next season they will go in prepared and know what's expected. Kreider is going to explode (understatement), the young guys will improve even more, and the vets who haven't seen playoff hockey (Gaborik and Richards) in a while will have shaken off the cobb webs and be prepared. That will be my ideal season and hopefully they can make what happened during the first half of this season go all year.