PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see James Harden's cheap shot...?

Sport472
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
James Harden is no saint on the court. He again bumped into Sjax after a bucket, just as he did to Metta World Peace. I know what MWP did was completely wrong and out of line, but did Harden deserve all the sympathy he received when he clearly has made a habit out of these post-basket bumps?

Bob_at_york
06-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Stop post padding. Talk about the topic or don't respond.

kdspurman
06-01-2012, 10:34 AM
He also tried to pull some mess on Timmy on another play. After Tim scored and turned to run back, he tried to make it look like he got blitzed smh

sixers247
06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Yea Harden is kind of a dick i noticed. I wish SJax would of back handed him.

kdspurman
06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
James Harden is no saint on the court. He again bumped into Sjax after a bucket, just as he did to Metta World Peace. I know what MWP did was completely wrong and out of line, but did Harden deserve all the sympathy he received when he clearly has made a habit out of these post-basket bumps?

I think it's why a lot of people felt he had something coming. We know he's pulled crap like this before. MWP was surely out of line, but the stuff this dude pulls is a joke.

Mr_Amaziing
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
:)

justinnum1
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I think it's why a lot of people felt he had something coming. We know he's pulled crap like this before. MWP was surely out of line, but the stuff this dude pulls is a joke.

I dont think it would have mattered who was near artest at the time, durant could have been standing there and he would have had an elbow.

mightybosstone
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Personally, I didn't see the bump, but if a "bump" is all that happened, I don't have a problem with it. Guys "unintentionally" run into and bump other guys after scoring plays all the time. This is a physical and emotional game, and I don't fault players for doing what they can to get under other guys' skin.

BUT, if you actually retaliate and blatantly hit or hurt another player, then you've taken it too far. The Metta shot was inexcusable, as was the Dexter Pittman throat elbow. I'm not nearly as hard on the Hansbrough or Haslem fouls, as those were just hard fouls that, while deliberate, do not seem intended to harm a player.

Wade>You
06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I didn't see game 3, but is it safe to say that the Thunder are back to their fake tough guy ways?

I did see a highlight of Harden staring down Splitter. Maybe Splitter did something before that?

THE GIPPER
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
lol you call that a cheap shot?

kdspurman
06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I dont think it would have mattered who was near artest at the time, durant could have been standing there and he would have had an elbow.

True.. That dude is a knucklehead for sure lol

But the way Harden likes to give you no room to run and make it look like he's the "victim of an assault". Refs will catch on and when he really gets fouled or hurt, nothing will be called. It's starting to happen already a little

smith&wesson
06-01-2012, 10:42 AM

i agree. clearly he does this often. maybe he should get called on it for instigating.

kdspurman
06-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I didn't see game 3, but is it safe to say that the Thunder are back to their fake tough guy ways?

I did see a highlight of Harden staring down Splitter. Maybe Splitter did something before that?

Ha! dude doesn't talk to anyone. He just went up and fouled (not even hard) Harden. Harden missed the dunk and felt like he needed to stare down Splitter.

Sport472
06-01-2012, 10:45 AM
lol you call that a cheap shot?

No you're right, cheap shot may have been an exaggeration, but it's hard for me to feel bad for a guy who asks for retaliations on the regular. Play with fire long enough you're going to get burnt. MWP is just a fire you don't want to mess with at all lol

mightybosstone
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
i agree. clearly he does this often. maybe he should get called on it for instigating.

I might be in the minority on this one, but I think that if you're stupid enough to retaliate to a "bump," then you're a weak minded player and Harden has achieved exactly what he wanted to. I actually applaud players who can get under your skin and get in your head throughout a game. So much of this game is physical, that I like to see a guy taking a cerebral approach.

And people can call it "cheap" all they want to, but a bump is only a bump. If he gets directly in the face of a player, spews expletives at someone or physically puts his hands on someone, those are the only grounds I can see for a technical.

Wade>You
06-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Ha! dude doesn't talk to anyone. He just went up and fouled (not even hard) Harden. Harden missed the dunk and felt like he needed to stare down Splitter.Didn't think so. I expect the Thunder to be more intimidating and find ways to get under the Spurs' skin.

Meaze_Gibson
06-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I might be in the minority on this one, but I think that if you're stupid enough to retaliate to a "bump," then you're a weak minded player and Harden has achieved exactly what he wanted to. I actually applaud players who can get under your skin and get in your head throughout a game. So much of this game is physical, that I like to see a guy taking a cerebral approach.

And people can call it "cheap" all they want to, but a bump is only a bump. If he gets directly in the face of a player, spews expletives at someone or physically puts his hands on someone, those are the only grounds I can see for a technical.

As soon as you bump someone it becomes physical. Talking is cerebral. Defending aggressively is cerebral. Bumping someone after a made basket is a chump move and he shouldve got a tech. For a sec I forgot why I disliked the Thunder but now I remember. The overexcessive celebrations, fake tough guy staredowns, flopping etc.

nate2usmc
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Lets see how tough he is when he goes through a few World Peace elbows :)

That said I :love: Harden

kdspurman
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Didn't think so. I expect the Thunder to be more intimidating and find ways to get under the Spurs' skin.

They didn't really get under anyones skin, that's a veteran ball club there. You don't really get in their heads.

They just flat out played better and harder. Nothing intimidating by any means. Pop pulled the starters early, as a way to make them come out with more fire after watching how the game unfolded. He's done it plenty times, and it's usually worked.

We'll see what happens tomorrow

mightybosstone
06-01-2012, 11:42 AM
As soon as you bump someone it becomes physical. Talking is cerebral. Defending aggressively is cerebral. Bumping someone after a made basket is a chump move and he shouldve got a tech. For a sec I forgot why I disliked the Thunder but now I remember. The overexcessive celebrations, fake tough guy staredowns, flopping etc.

Yes, because bumping into someone clearly deserves a technical foul. :eyebrow: Basketball has already been toned down so significantly and fouls are called so often that if they starting giving out technicals for bumping into players, what's next? Free throws for staring at players too long or breathing in their general direction?

Meaze_Gibson
06-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes, because bumping into someone clearly deserves a technical foul. :eyebrow: Basketball has already been toned down so significantly and fouls are called so often that if they starting giving out technicals for bumping into players, what's next? Free throws for staring at players too long or breathing in their general direction?

Instigating physically deserves a technical foul. that is what a sneaky, intentional bump after a made basket is.

mightybosstone
06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Instigating physically deserves a technical foul. that is what a sneaky, intentional bump after a made basket is.

I disagree. I think a real man should be strong enough to just brush it off. If you are so mentally weak that a bump causes you to lash out and hit a guy, then you deserve to be thrown out of the game.

I didn't see this particular bump, but it sounds like Jackson was man enough to not do anything about it, so no harm, no foul. If Jackson wanted to get back at Harden, he could give him a hard, legitimate foul the next chance he got on the other end or bump him back the next chance he got.

Basketball is physical and mental, and I think if you start calling technicals on bumps, then you're crossing a dangerous line. What happens if there's an accidental bump, and how do you differentiate between the two?

Chronz
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Harden tries that on players he thinks are mentally weak.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-01-2012, 12:01 PM
If someone trolls, and they end up getting seriously hurt because of it, they should get the sympathy. While it's 'trolling', the seriousness of the injury Harden could have received was very threatening.

Only an idiot would even retaliate to something as small as a bump. I guess some here are the type who'd shoot a kid because he was purposefully kicking the chair behind you on a plane.

mdm692
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM

You have a picture of one of the fakest thugs in the league :facepalm:

justinnum1
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
You have a picture of one of the fakest thugs in the league :facepalm:

:facepalm:

Davidgta1
06-01-2012, 12:28 PM
An that's why he was Elbowed.

Wade>You
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
:facepalm:I don't see it, either.

I don't think Wade has done anything to earn himself a rep as a tough guy, let alone a fake tough guy.

They didn't really get under anyones skin, that's a veteran ball club there. You don't really get in their heads.

They just flat out played better and harder. Nothing intimidating by any means. Pop pulled the starters early, as a way to make them come out with more fire after watching how the game unfolded. He's done it plenty times, and it's usually worked.

We'll see what happens tomorrowAgreed on the Spurs, they've seen it all and been through it all. There's nothing out there that can get under their skin or intimidate them.

reesesteel3
06-01-2012, 12:33 PM
A BUMP?!....Cheap Shot?!...lol...thats your beef?...what do you want, sissy ball??..sounds like he got in your head just like he did San Antonio:clap:

LAKobeBryant
06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Lol that's pretty funny running into a guy after you score. Haven't he learns from MWP

Stinkyoutsider
06-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Harden knows what he's doing. It's not like he's doing it on accident. You tell me a top level athlete is always losing where he is on the court? No way. I honestly think he's looking for ways to flop and get opponents hit him so the Thunder can get the upper hand...

I don't feel quite as bad for him with the World Peace elbow now after seeing the bump last night. Man, I thought he would learn after he got the elbow that he doesn't need to be doing this anymore. That was one heck of a shot that he got hit with...

Meaze_Gibson
06-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I disagree. I think a real man should be strong enough to just brush it off. If you are so mentally weak that a bump causes you to lash out and hit a guy, then you deserve to be thrown out of the game.

I didn't see this particular bump, but it sounds like Jackson was man enough to not do anything about it, so no harm, no foul. If Jackson wanted to get back at Harden, he could give him a hard, legitimate foul the next chance he got on the other end or bump him back the next chance he got.

Basketball is physical and mental, and I think if you start calling technicals on bumps, then you're crossing a dangerous line. What happens if there's an accidental bump, and how do you differentiate between the two?

If Stephen Jackson retaliated in any way he wouldve got the worse end just off reputation. He is mentally strong in that regard. But to me, as somebody else alluded, he instigates things on purpose, with certain people. He's like that 3rd grader talkin noise about you while you're in the 6th grade. You know he isn't really physical and if you retaliate it will just look worse on your end. (Lets not forget he is a top flopper in the league). I'm down for trash talking, being aggressive like the next man. But purposely instigating a player to be physical when you are a known flopper is ridiculous. Maybe not a tech but the league needs to do something. You cant have softies out here instigating.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-01-2012, 12:50 PM
he does this **** all the time

justinnum1
06-01-2012, 12:52 PM
after seeing it i have totally changed my attitude, he is a instigator and deserves whatever cheap shot he will get next game. He's just lucky dexter pittman isn't on the spurs;)

mightybosstone
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
If Stephen Jackson retaliated in any way he wouldve got the worse end just off reputation. He is mentally strong in that regard. But to me, as somebody else alluded, he instigates things on purpose, with certain people. He's like that 3rd grader talkin noise about you while you're in the 6th grade. You know he isn't really physical and if you retaliate it will just look worse on your end. (Lets not forget he is a top flopper in the league). I'm down for trash talking, being aggressive like the next man. But purposely instigating a player to be physical when you are a known flopper is ridiculous. Maybe not a tech but the league needs to do something. You cant have softies out here instigating.

I think that while you made a decent argument early one, you've completely lost me here with the whole "Harden's a flopper so he can't instigate anything" argument. What does his flopping having ANYTHING to do with this? Flopping doesn't make you soft, if anything it means you're smart for taking advantage of a loophole the NBA is allowing.

Also, the idea that the league needs to cut down on SPECIFICALLY floppers instigating contact is ridiculous. So it should be okay for a non-flopper to create unnecessary contact, but not for floppers? Who's going to make that ridiculously subjective and idiotic determination?

Giraffes Rule
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Ha! dude doesn't talk to anyone. He just went up and fouled (not even hard) Harden. Harden missed the dunk and felt like he needed to stare down Splitter.

To be fair, that's because Splitter can barely speak English.

Htownballa1622
06-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Is there a vid?

Carey
06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
You people are hilarious, seriously reaching here. We are talking about a bump? and that turn's into...he's a jerk, he pulls this all the time. Really? because i've seen all but a handful of games he's played as a pro and i havent seen anything but a bump here and there or a look like the one he gave Splitter.

kdspurman
06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
To be fair, that's because Splitter can barely speak English.

:laugh2: Very true

Carey
06-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Yea throw Harden out of the league for a bump and a stare but MWP closelined teammates, tackled Harden and pushed Sefolosha out of the air all in the same series. But more people think its cute or cool then ones that see a problem with it.

Meaze_Gibson
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
I think that while you made a decent argument early one, you've completely lost me here with the whole "Harden's a flopper so he can't instigate anything" argument. What does his flopping having ANYTHING to do with this? Flopping doesn't make you soft, if anything it means you're smart for taking advantage of a loophole the NBA is allowing.

Also, the idea that the league needs to cut down on SPECIFICALLY floppers instigating contact is ridiculous. So it should be okay for a non-flopper to create unnecessary contact, but not for floppers? Who's going to make that ridiculously subjective and idiotic determination?

Shout out to Mitch McDeer in the sig but I'm through G. There is no room for sneaky, instigating moves in basketball. If you want to get physical and get in heads, talk trash, set a hard screen, aggressively box them out after a rebound, dunk on them lol. But the last thing is to instigate an action is to sneakingly bump into a player, hoping they retaliate, to earn a tech or a possible ejection. Thats not the type of basketball the NBA should allow.

justinnum1
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
he is an instigator, cant feel sorry if something happens to him

8kobe24
06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
In the beginning I felt bad for this troll when he got the MWP elbow, heck I would have felt bad for anyone getting knocked up side the head with an MWP elbow...but now someone really needs to put a hit on this guy and knock that beard off his face along with a tooth or two. I'd love to see Matt Bonner do that, that would be priceless.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-01-2012, 01:34 PM
In the beginning I felt bad for this troll when he got the MWP elbow, heck I would have felt bad for anyone getting knocked up side the head with an MWP elbow...but now someone really needs to put a hit on this guy and knock that beard off his face along with a tooth or two. I'd love to see Matt Bonner do that, that would be priceless.

While his trolling is excessive, no one deserves to get hurt because of it when mental challenges are part of the game.

There's so many idiots on this site who trolls. Does that give me a right to go to their house and shoot them potentially causing severe damages or death?

Joshtd1
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Best way for the Spurs to get revenge is to win game 4 and 5 to send them home early /discussion

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Ah, James Harden back to the extracurricular crap during dead ball situation. It's ok, just have DeJuan Blair come off the bench and elbow Harden to the head. Looks like he didn't learn his lesson the first time.

kdspurman
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Best way for the Spurs to get revenge is to win game 4 and 5 to send them home early /discussion

:nod:

And maybe let Tiago stare him down instead of shaking his hand :laugh2: Although I realize that's a stretch. It'd be pretty funny

greg_ory_2005
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
When did this happen?

Thunder 9
06-01-2012, 03:24 PM

Fake tough guys? Stop taking quotes from Durant directed towards Bosh.

natelpete
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Didn't see it, but if you are comparing it to him getting in MWP's way, that is far from a cheap shot.. Probably more annoying than anything

KnicksTape
06-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Harden tried to dunk on him and Splitter went straight up but they called a foul. Nothing for him to stare down for.

KnicksTape
06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Yea throw Harden out of the league for a bump and a stare but MWP closelined teammates, tackled Harden and pushed Sefolosha out of the air all in the same series. But more people think its cute or cool then ones that see a problem with it.

First of all calm down its not that serious. Clearly you are biased towards the subject or maybe just like the new NBA where a player like Harden who flops insanely can also act tough and run into someone who isn't even looking at him after a play to act hard. So if that's cute or cool, then that's sad.

JC_
06-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Post maxi-padding

That wasn't a cheapshot and I think we should make threads everytime one player bumps another.

NBAFan2012
06-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I applaud him. But I wonder if he does not know that Stephen Jackson is crazy? Bust this at San Antonio and stuff could get crazy....

Mrphilly
06-01-2012, 04:29 PM
I knew the NBA was getting soft, but the fans are are getting soft too. Is this really a thread about a bump??? Im getting out of this Soft thread ASAP!!!!

justinnum1
06-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I knew the NBA was getting soft, but the fans are are getting soft too. Is this really a thread about a bump??? Im getting out of this Soft thread ASAP!!!!

It's more about james harden is an instigator and when the next guy pops him one its going to be hard to feel bad for him.

Chronz
06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Ah, James Harden back to the extracurricular crap during dead ball situation. It's ok, just have DeJuan Blair come off the bench and elbow Harden to the head. Looks like he didn't learn his lesson the first time.
Of course he learned his lesson, thats why hes still doing it.

Raph12
06-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I said it when the Artest elbow thing happened; Harden was looking for some contact so he could flop, he just didn't expect Ron to knock him the **** out... He's a dirty player, no doubt about it, but it doesn't take away from his talent.

Chronz
06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Waiting for someone to react to a meaningless bump is dirty? More like giving the chance for the other player to do something dirty.

Carey
06-02-2012, 10:56 AM
First of all calm down its not that serious. Clearly you are biased towards the subject or maybe just like the new NBA where a player like Harden who flops insanely can also act tough and run into someone who isn't even looking at him after a play to act hard. So if that's cute or cool, then that's sad.

Who said i wasnt calm...obviously you dont me but i think anybody has seen me post on here knows im very fair regardless of who my team is and my views are rational. I think the one thing i can point to about Harden that has change is his confidence level. I think he's progressively become more animated because he knows how good he is now, actually i think his run in's with Kobe this year have played a big part in the cause for this. The one thing about your post that stands out the most is you saying he flops insanely which is just extremely irresponsible to say if you've watched him play all year.

LJEATON26
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Waiting for someone to react to a meaningless bump is dirty? More like giving the chance for the other player to do something dirty.

Hell no its not dirty, all he is doing is playing mind games. He is trying to cause the other player to push him (not try to decapitate him like MWP) and draw a T. Just like in grade school when someone pinched, pushed or hit you and the teacher always catches you retaliating. Its the second person that always gets caught.

Baller1
06-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Damn, this is pathetic. :laugh:

Everyone likes to say Harden is a ***** for these "stunts/bumps", but if that were the case, why the **** would he be going after the craziest players in the league? Man, logic is just too hard to grasp for some of you, huh?

Raph12
06-02-2012, 03:22 PM

"Meaningless bump"? You're delusional if you think he wasn't intentionally stepping into him to get a reaction. If you're stepping into an opposing player for an inbounds pass, you're not getting the ball, so I don't know how your going to pretend like it was incidental contact.

Creating contact and hoping for any type of movement so you could flop is dirty... Go back to the flop against Tyson in the playoffs last year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGzSNsPafY0).

If some guy did that to me in a game, I'd call it dirty.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Artest was obviously trying to elbow him out of the way, it was just unfortunate that his head got in the way. He did fall like sack of potatoes even though it was a mild concussion, maybe there was a little bit of flopping :shrug: