PDA

View Full Version : Why does the Media include Sonics in Thunder history? Seattle has the rights

LTBaByyy
05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
The Thunder history is when they first became the OKC Thunder

Seattle agreed to leave everything in Seattle! Logo, Colors, Name, Record books

If the OKC name was the Sonics then I understand but they have no history naming the team OKC Thunder

Its a whole brand new franchise. They would have Sonics banners if they are part of Thunder history

MiamiWadeCounty
05-31-2012, 11:40 PM
From Wikipedia, "It was agreed that the SuperSonics' name would not be used by Oklahoma City and that team's history could be shared between Oklahoma City and any future NBA team in Seattle."

LTBaByyy
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
So what happens when there is the Seattle Supersonics again? Will they both have same history haha its bogus

DaSeba5
05-31-2012, 11:48 PM
So what happens when there is the Seattle Supersonics again? Will they both have same history haha its bogus

Yah that's really stupid lol.

Thunder 9
05-31-2012, 11:52 PM
When a new supersonics team comes they will have the history of the team that moved there or a new history if its an expansion. The thunder has the history because they are the supersonics team that moved, like the bullets and the wizards or the new orleans jazz and the utah jazz, in this case the sonics both moved and changed names but in actuality it really is the same team.

MiamiWadeCounty
05-31-2012, 11:54 PM
When a new supersonics team comes they will have the history of the team that moved there or a new history if its an expansion. The thunder has the history because they are the supersonics team that moved, like the bullets and the wizards or the new orleans jazz and the utah jazz, in this case the sonics both moved and changed names but in actuality it really is the same team.

this most likely

LTBaByyy
05-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Like the Lakers can use the Minneapolis history because they have the same name

When you change cities AND names you dont have the others history

It's a new franchise

Houston_Heat
06-01-2012, 12:05 AM
What dont you people get? Did Durant not play for/was drafted by the Sonics? Collison played for the sonics for like 37 years.

shen
06-01-2012, 12:49 AM
It was agreed on and is legal that if Sonics get a new team (expansion or other) they get all the Sonics history and Thunder would have been essentially for all legal purposes an expansion team. Thunder would not get to use any past Sonics records.

Soonerule
06-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Personally, I think of the Thunder as a new franchise. The Sonic's name and history are Seattle's and that is the way it should be.

naps
06-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Sonics history belongs to Seattle or whatever team goes there. Thunders are basically a expansion franchise.

I remember a Gary Payton's interview a couple of years ago. Somebody asked him if he wanted the Thunder to retire his jersey and he said "**** no! I played in Seattle for Sonics not Thunder."

LTBaByyy
06-01-2012, 02:39 AM
So if there is never a Seattle Sonics again will they put the Sonics banners in the Thunder arena or retire Payton or Kemp number or wear Sonics throwback jerseys? No.

Its useless. They need to stop bringing up the Sonics history.

Its minor but just irritates me every Thunder game

LTBaByyy
06-01-2012, 02:40 AM
What dont you people get? Did Durant not play for/was drafted by the Sonics? Collison played for the sonics for like 37 years.

Wow. 2 freaking people out of what 200 new people part of the Thunder organization?

Iron24th
06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I miss the Seattle Supersonics.
Payton,Kemp,Baker,Schrempft, I enjoyed watching those guys.

gotoHcarolina52
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Me too.

Hopefully they get an arena built and are awarded a team soon.

sunsfan88
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM

No it really isn't.

Only two players remain from the Sonics, Durant and Collison. Every other player on Thunder stepped on the court for their 1st NBA mins after the team relocated to OKC.

Wade>You
06-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Do the Sonics 2 championships transfer over to OKC?

soonabooma
06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
It doesn't matter where they play, what uniforms they wear, or what their name is. It's the same organization it's always been. It's just in a new city and has a new name. The only thing Seattle gets to keep is their name and colors, in the event that they get another team at some point. As far as the history goes, Bennett paid $350 million for that team, so the history is with it, because it's the same organization.

DaSeba5
06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I wonder if they'll ever wear a throwback Sonics jersey lol.

Baller1
06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Do the Sonics 2 championships transfer over to OKC?

We only have one championship, two finals appearances though. We split consecutive finals with the Washington Bullets (I believe).

Baller1
06-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I wonder if they'll ever wear a throwback Sonics jersey lol.

Nope, can't happen. Colors, logos, name, etc is all Seattle's. None of that can be work/claimed by OKC.

bmd1101
06-01-2012, 07:13 PM

I dont miss Baker one bit.

We only have one championship, two finals appearances though. We split consecutive finals with the Washington Bullets (I believe).

No the second Sonics finals was in 96.

Huntey
06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
How is it bogus to have 'the same history'? History is history. It is what has happened in the past. If it just so happens that the Thunder were previously the Sonics then that is their history....

lavell12
06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I am no expert on this but I think the closest thing to this would be in the NFL with the Browns and Ravens.

todu82
06-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Oklahoma City was the Seattle Sonics and they should have the history of that team.

Baller1
06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I dont miss Baker one bit.

No the second Sonics finals was in 96.

That was actually the third, I forgot about that appearance. The first two were '78 and '79.

mjokc
06-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Who cares, the Sonics don't exist anymore. OKC fans don't want any of that history, not our fault if the media keeps joining them together.

Hangtime
06-02-2012, 11:58 AM
It was my understanding that Seattle maintains the name, logo, colors, uniforms etc. Anything pertaining to history, banners, records, etc belongs to the Thunder franchise. As of now the Thunder is not an expansion team they were the Sonics and that is how they are viewed.

When Art Modell moved the old Browns it was already known that Cleveland was getting a new expansion team and a deal was made that allowed them to maintain logos, colors, names but also history. The Ravens became the expansion team. It is unknown what will happen in Seattle.

shen
06-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Sonics folded and Thunder are expansion is easy way to put it. Championships, banners, history, ALL of it still belongs to Seattle. The person to bring up Browns and Ravens is right. It is exact same. This was established back when it was happening. Seattle could have dragged it out long time cost everyone truck loads of money but instead reached settlement with Thunder owners stating everything Sonics did belonged to Seattle. OKC has no claim to it.

king4day
06-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I've never been a fan of teams moving and keeping the history.
The history is in the city. Has anyone heard mention of Memphis talking about their history being in Vancouver?
Just leave it be and if a team returns, they can pick up where they left off.

Also, teams that move shouldn't be allowed to take the team names with them. Hornets should have remained in Charlotte, Griz in Vancouver, Lakers in Minny, and Jazz in New Orleans.

Rafer17
06-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Who cares?
Besides Seattle fans of course..

mjokc
06-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Who cares?
Besides Seattle fans of course..

Exactly, the funny thing is that I go to Seattle on a regular basis for business trips and NOBODY there give a crap about the Sonics. The culture of the actual city of Seattle is much different than the Sonicsgate crybabies.

Baller1
06-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Exactly, the funny thing is that I go to Seattle on a regular basis for business trips and NOBODY there give a crap about the Sonics. The culture of the actual city of Seattle is much different than the Sonicsgate crybabies.

That's complete and utter ********.

topdog
06-03-2012, 02:49 AM
The Thunder history is when they first became the OKC Thunder

Seattle agreed to leave everything in Seattle! Logo, Colors, Name, Record books

If the OKC name was the Sonics then I understand but they have no history naming the team OKC Thunder

Its a whole brand new franchise. They would have Sonics banners if they are part of Thunder history

Here's how I look at it:
1. Since there is not currently a Sonics team, they will attach its history to the franchise that left until such a time (at least a couple years away) when Seattle brings the Sonics back

2. It would be a disservice to actual expansion teams to paint the Thunder as an expansion franchise because of the success they've had without the restrictions that expansion franchises face in their first few years.

3. Retaining the name and colors is pretty much a first. I mean, I'd love to have the Lakers name and banners hanging in the target center, but that organization left and with the success it's had there is about zero chance to get any of it back

scaramantula
06-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Personally, I think of the Thunder as a new franchise. The Sonic's name and history are Seattle's and that is the way it should be.

that doesnt change the fact that technically there the same team

ztilzer31
06-03-2012, 01:17 PM
The way I remember it being explained is Clay Bennett would have the rights tell the Sonic's got another team.

It doesn't matter though. Ask Lenny Wilkens, Downtown Freddie Brown, Garry Payton, Shawn Kemp, or Jack Sickma what team they played for. None of them support OKC, so it's to OKC's disadvantage talking about the Sonics history. No one who played for Seattle, considers the Thunder as the same team.