PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Read on the Spurs

TopsyTurvy
05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Taken from:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/05/san_antonio_spurs_2012_the_nba_s_most_successful_f ranchise_reveals_that_america_is_a_nation_of_hypoc rites_.html

Americaóat least in its own imaginationóstands for certain things. For the idea that hard work and sound judgment bring success, and that success deserves celebration. That winners should be celebrated as long as they play by the rules. That teamwork, leadership, loyalty, and excellence all count for something. And thatís why the San Antonio Spurs, currently riding a stupendous run of 19 straight victories, are Americaís favorite professional basketball team.

Except, of course, they arenít.

[There] are two main reasons why the Spurs are genuinely boring. The first is that, unlike the Thunder and pretty much every other NBA team, they donít have anybody who dunks.

Second, the Spurs organizationís top-to-bottom dedication to winning is incredibly stultifying. The star never tries to get the coach fired. There are no contract disputes. Nobody fights about whether itís ďstill Tim Duncanís teamĒ as first Manu Ginobili and then Tony Parker stepped up to play a bigger role. Nobodyís eager to leave for a flashier city. The face of the franchise is on the last year of his contract and nobodyís speculating about whether or not heíll come back. No other team even bothers to try to hire away San Antonioís coach despite his indisputable track record of success.

Americans donít want excellence, and we certainly donít want long-term sustained excellence. We want our dynasties to come with a side order of drama, controversy, and bad behavior. We want anti-heroes and the occasional impulsive retirement to pursue a baseball career. We want to watch a train wreck and then tut-tut in a smug self-satisfied way about the irresponsibility of the people who caused it. We want to maintain our high ideals, without needing to walk the walk. Nobody can hate the Spurs, so nobody wants to love them. Itís more comfortable for everyone if we can just pretend they donít exist.

I love it.

thekmp211
05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
last paragraph is a truth hammer

Rafer17
05-31-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm so tired of reading that the Spurs are an "old, defense-playing team".

Whoever says this clearly does not watch the Spurs.

There best player turned 30 just a couple weeks ago.

They are ten-deep, filled with many young guys who have not been to the finals (Danny Green, Dejuan Blair, Tiago Splitter, etc)

They play an offensive brand of basketball that thrives on fast-paced ball movement. They are still good at defense but it is not the staple of their game.

People who throw the old and boring card just show that they'll just spit out whatever someone on ESPN says. Very cliche.

TopsyTurvy
05-31-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm so tired of reading that the Spurs are an "old, defense-playing team".

Agreed!

The current iteration of the Spurs is a scoring powerhouse that combines sharp ball movement with accurate shooting to rain threes on the opposition. Playing with an above-average pace and the best field goal percentage in the league, the Spurs ended the regular season second in overall scoring and first in offensive efficiency. When the Phoenix Suns leapt into contention with a fast-faced, point-guard-led, long-ball-heavy offense fans around the country jumped for joy. Now that San Antonioís embraced gunning, nobody cares.

YashBoone
05-31-2012, 08:51 PM
I 100% completely disagree with this article.... All these drama filled queens in the nba, demanding trades and blaming everyone but themselves..... I wish my Knicks could have half the poise and consistency the spurs have...... What's boring about winning?

Rafer17
05-31-2012, 11:16 PM
^ You got that right, Yash. Spurs are the best run franchise this league may have ever seen. Much applause to owners, players, execs, etc.

tonerpbt
06-01-2012, 12:30 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1^ You got that right, Yash. Spurs are the best run franchise this league may have ever seen. Much applause to owners, players, execs, etc.
Spurs are the best run franchise this league may have ever seen.

Whomewhome
06-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Taken from:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/05/san_antonio_spurs_2012_the_nba_s_most_successful_f ranchise_reveals_that_america_is_a_nation_of_hypoc rites_.html

I love it.
Thank you. That makes two excellent posters in two days that I have found on PSD! Long time since that has happened.

Excellent read and they hit the nail on the head.

KnicksorBust
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I 100% completely disagree with this article.... All these drama filled queens in the nba, demanding trades and blaming everyone but themselves..... I wish my Knicks could have half the poise and consistency the spurs have...... What's boring about winning?

The article is saying that the Spurs should be more popular with the general fanbase. They are not. Obviously most people would prefer their teams are as successful as the Spurs but the fact that the Spurs don't sell as many t-shirts, get as many endorsements, or get as high tv ratings as the Thunder says a lot.

Sly Guy
06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
last paragraph is a truth hammer

amen. And what's funny is that this version of the spurs is the most entertaining of all of them in this period of 'sustained excellence'

Stinkyoutsider
06-01-2012, 12:36 PM
The Spurs are a class act and any fan who truly loves the game of basketball respects the organization, players, and coaches. I enjoy watching the Spurs play. The game is about teammwork, ball movement, defense, and passion. Dunks are just icing on the cake.

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
This is yet another similar article to the last that has happened since oh I don't know middle of May. Sure the Spurs got blown out in an intense OKC down 0-2 return home drubbing. But still after that I'm not worried. The Spurs are reliable and unlike last year have the kind of depth to make a difference in game 4. It was an interesting article but like the Spurs, I don't really think most Spurs fans care what people say about the Spurs.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-01-2012, 06:24 PM
When the Phoenix Suns leapt into contention with a fast-faced, point-guard-led, long-ball-heavy offense fans around the country jumped for joy. Now that San Antonioís embraced gunning, nobody cares.

Such a great point. Spurs are playing even BETTER offense then the Suns but they are not appreciated nearly as much because of pure entertainment reasons including: DUNKS. No Amare or Shawn Marion to finish ferociously