PDA

View Full Version : A solution to the Draft Lottery

Lisound15
05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Recently people have been questioning the leagues intentions with the draft lottery, claiming that its fixed. This is not without good reason, seeing as how the cavaliers owner *****ed about lebron and got the #1 pick and #4 pick, and then David Stern saves a dying franchise by giving them the #1 pick. I do believe that there is good reason to believe its fixed, but theres a real simple solution to this problem: Hold the lottery on live TV selecting the balls, even counting out the balls before to make sure everyone is in agreement.
That way everyone can see the results and nobody will whine and *****. Sure the #1 pick will get exposed first and ruin the "suspense" of the lottery, but I'm sure people would much rather have a fair lottery than a suspenseful one. Thoughts?

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Sounds good to me.

tcav701
05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
But then how would the get Benson to suddenly change his mind and buy the Hornets at full price?

Cavs_Fan24
05-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Or do it the same way that they do now but videotape the actually lottery when its happening then show it afterwards when the suspenseful draft lottery show is over ?

Celtic5
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Use a form of the ESPN NBA lottery machine. Run a random number of tests that the audience can see to prove its not rigged of course. Maybe roll a dice to find out which one counts.

Soonerule
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't think there is any option that someone somewhere wouldn't be saying it is rigged and the more complicated the system the more its validity would be questioned. So since someone is always going to be suspicious let's at least make it fun. Each lottery eligible team could pick the toughest bad *** in town and on lottery day the NBA could throw them all in a big cage and the survivor gets first pick. There would still be those that question the fairness but at least it would be entertaining.

wmudford
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Or do it the same way that they do now but videotape the actually lottery when its happening then show it afterwards when the suspenseful draft lottery show is over ?

This

king4day
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM

Exactly. They can simply just show the top 3 team ping pong balls pulled. That's all that would matter anyway.

cdnsportsfan
05-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and fairly easy to achieve as well. Hope people in decision making roles are hearing suggestions like this!

Robbw241
05-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Do it ****ing live!!!!

Becks2307
05-31-2012, 01:38 PM
lol maybe they should just make a set order for the lottery for the next 30 years lol, where every team gets to pick in every position.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
They did the lottery live before. It ended up being the draft that everyone was convince was rigged.

Does it still solve the issue?

Also, you'd have to take out the remaining balls each time you pick a ball and that can be time consuming. I assume no one wants results that can be revealed in 1 min to last 1 hour? No one seem to want it when Lebron had a 1 hour show for something that could have taken 1 min.

topdog
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
There are ways to go about a show with suspense. An idea that came up in the Wolves forum was that the bottom 3 teams should have a lottery of even weight and teams 4-10 should have a separate weighted lottery for those picks. That way, a team has to be bottom 3 to get the top pick but can't tank to worst to guarantee it.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
There are ways to go about a show with suspense. An idea that came up in the Wolves forum was that the bottom 3 teams should have a lottery of even weight and teams 4-10 should have a separate weighted lottery for those picks. That way, a team has to be bottom 3 to get the top pick but can't tank to worst to guarantee it.

So that basically means the teams 4-10 don't have a chance at the top 3. If that's the case, why have a lottery?

joeboow90
05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
How about the worst team gets the first pick

Wade>You
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
My solution: hold a playoff for lottery teams, 1 game elimination style (or w/e). That way, the bad teams will have incentive to stay competitive in the regular season so they can win the lottery.

I also think fans of lottery teams will enjoy an extended season to see their team play with something on the line.

killersweet
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM
When they conduct the lottery are the individual team executives allowed to see it? May be they should invite all the GMs to the lottery process.

ThunderousDemon
05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
I wonder how much ESPN would pay for proof that the NBA lottery is rigged?