PDA

View Full Version : Clippers' Vinny Del Negro to return

b_russ
05-29-2012, 05:30 PM
The Los Angeles Clippers have picked up their option on coach Vinny Del Negro, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.

The team had until June 1 to make a call on whether to bring back Del Negro for his third season with the club. He's gone 72-76 since the team hired him in 2010.

Source (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7984737/vinny-del-negro-return-los-angeles-clippers-coach-2012-13)

With all the other options out there, this one's a head scratcher.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Dumb move by the organization. CP3 is gone next summer.

tredigs
05-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Sad day for Clippers fans. I was hoping both Vinny and Scott Brooks would get their rightful canning with all the amazing coaches out there. Both teams would see night and day differences. Sterling, though... not much surprises me.

shep33
05-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Epic fail. Why? SVG, Dantoni, as well as other prominent assistants are out there.

shep33
05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a feeling that Sterling will offer CP3 an MLE after this next year.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
I have a feeling that Sterling will offer CP3 an MLE after this next year.

:laugh:

BSardogan
05-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Terrible decision. Clippers will never make it past the 2nd round if their coach gets outcoached by pretty much anyone else in the league.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Clips being Clips, as always

Davidgta1
05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Shoulda went after Jerry Sloan they have what he needs a PG an a PF.

tredigs
05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
I wonder if he (Sterling) has any idea the pedigree of coaching that would have jumped at the opportunity to coach in LA with multiple All NBA players on the same squad. Or maybe I'm wrong and no reputable coach wanted the job on account of Sterling being at the helm.

Cp3 should do everything he can to get out of a Clippers uniform stat. Blake as well. They can't win with that management. Just can't.

The goods
05-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Shoulda went after Jerry Sloan they have what he needs a PG an a PF.

Great point.

naps
05-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Clippers need a ownership change. Ridiculous front office and management!

Davidgta1
05-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Been going on for years...more then sure ownership will some how **** up an let Blake or Paul go problay both.

dsonLAL24
05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
sterling :facepalm:

metsfanssince05
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
D'antoni would be perfect with this team. Dumb move.

rickshaw
05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm not even a Clippers fan and this is painful.

Avenged
05-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Go after SVG! Come on, Clips. :pity:

justjames
05-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Clippers gonna Clip

Weezy
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Go after SVG! Come on, Clips. :pity:

God damn what are clippers doing?? This is who they should've gotten.

apet8945
05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
God damn what are clippers doing?? This is who they should've gotten.

Why? Players that have played for him before have come out to the media saying outright that they don't like playing for this guy. Why would the Clippers go and get someone like that when they want to do whatever it takes to keep CP3 and Blake happy?

I'm not saying SVG isn't a better coach, he's miles ahead of Del Negro (who isn't?), but it's a greater risk to give SVG a multi-year deal and then half way through next season, Paul comes out and says he doesn't like playing for SVG. He'd be on the first flight out of LA at that point. But if Paul is complaining about Del Negro half way through the season, at least it's easier to get rid of him than it would be a new coach under a brand new contract.

Baller1
05-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Sad day for Clippers fans. I was hoping both Vinny and Scott Brooks would get their rightful canning with all the amazing coaches out there. Both teams would see night and day differences. Sterling, though... not much surprises me.

SVG or Sloan coaching OKC... If only, if only.

Cracka2HI!
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
This isn't a bad move at all and I expected it. VDN did much better in the playoffs and how much heart does this Clipper team have? You know some of that IS because of the coach. Outside of Sloan and Jackson who is really out there that is obviously better? I beleive the team contacted Sloan too you just don't hear too many "rumors" coming out of our camp. He probably wasn't interested or we couldn't afford him. Paul and Griffin obviously don't mind Vinny THAT MUCH. What would have been worse would have been to bring in a coach they both hate and chase them out the door.

Remeber coaches contracts are guaranteed which Sterling found out the hard way when he canned Dunleavy. Del Negro is returning for 1 year. After that Blake and CP3 can pick the coarch for all I care...as long as they re-sign first. To go out on a limb and sign a coach to multi-year guaranteed contract and think there is no doubt he will work out better than Del Negro would have been the mistake. Think big picture here people, there is more to it than just better coaches being available, tho I don't think there are as many as the normal PSD NBA forum poster who watched parts of 6 Clipper games this year thinks. We have to have the best coach to keep Paul and Griffin here. Who's to say Vinny isn't that guy. Do you really think our GM who had a better season than Larry Bird didn't atleast asked them :facepalm:

Cracka2HI!
05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Why? Players that have played for him before have come out to the media saying outright that they don't like playing for this guy. Why would the Clippers go and get someone like that when they want to do whatever it takes to keep CP3 and Blake happy?

I'm not saying SVG isn't a better coach, he's miles ahead of Del Negro (who isn't?), but it's a greater risk to give SVG a multi-year deal and then half way through next season, Paul comes out and says he doesn't like playing for SVG. He'd be on the first flight out of LA at that point. But if Paul is complaining about Del Negro half way through the season, at least it's easier to get rid of him than it would be a new coach under a brand new contract.

Lol, I was basically typing the exact same reply when you posted this!

tmacmamba
05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
The Clippers should have went after Nate McMillan.

Burkey3472
05-29-2012, 07:52 PM
:laugh:

Weezy
05-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Do you really believe VDN is the coach you need to keep CP3? They already rebelled on him once why wouldn't it happen again? IMO, SVG is a better option....even jerry Sloan is a good option too. I just don't understand why clippers did this so soon. I thought the same thing for my knicks and woodson. Oh well.

apet8945
05-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Lol, I was basically typing the exact same reply when you posted this!

I'm just glad other Clippers fans understand that this was the correct move. Anyone other than Sloan would have been too big of a risk and he probably would have cost too much for Sterlings liking anyway.

The Clippers should have went after Nate McMillan.

Sure, go after a coach who couldn't even take a stacked Portland team to an eighth seed and hope that he doesn't screw up with the Clippers. Again, it's too big of a risk to go get a coach that doesn't have championship pedigree. There are going to be even better coaches who's contracts end at the end of next year anyway. No sense in taking a huge gamble.

apet8945
05-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Do you really believe VDN is the coach you need to keep CP3? They already rebelled on him once why wouldn't it happen again? IMO, SVG is a better option....even jerry Sloan is a good option too. I just don't understand why clippers did this so soon. I thought the same thing for my knicks and woodson. Oh well.

Clippers had to make a decision on whether to bring back VDN or not by June 1st. I'm sure the Knicks had to do the same with Woodson. And no, I don't believe VDN is the coach to keep CP3 here, but I can assure you, there was no rebellion happening between the players and the coach. In fact, CP3 had Vinny's back when things were going south for Vinny. CP3 could have easily thrown him under the bus and requested for a new coach knowing the team will do what it takes to keep him here.

I would have loved to see Sloan coach the Clippers, but I'll trust Olshey with this decision.

Chacarron
05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
I bet Chris Paul is going to love this move. :laugh2:

effen5
05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Vdn :laugh:

SpaceJamJordans
05-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Clipper fan here... meh. His dumb pick and roll ain't gonna get them nowhere. But he's better than Mike Brown :rolleyes:

raiderposting
05-29-2012, 09:16 PM
we don't know why it happened. what if sterling asked cp3 and blake the stars of the team if they would like him to come back, we dont know that.

shep33
05-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I mean even Mike D could make that team an offensive powerhouse. Nash + Stat is pretty similar to CP3 + Blake.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
So they want to lose again?

flea
05-29-2012, 10:21 PM

Scott Brooks deserves the boot? What are you smoking?

On topic: probably would have been better to get a change but VDN isn't as bad as people want him to be. He's certainly in the bottom half for NBA coaches but that team he had this year was pretty bad and they at least made it out of the first round. I credit CP3 more than anything, but the NBA's promotion of Griffin's young career can't be overlooked as part of the success. Regardless, the rest of that team was awful.

BKLYNpigeon
05-29-2012, 10:30 PM
another year of mediocrity for the Clippers...

SpaceJamJordans
05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
So they want to lose again?

unlike john cena

Cracka2HI!
05-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Most of you clearly don't get it. This is a 1 year move. I highly doubt VDN is back in 2 seasons. The safer move was to keep Vinny. The alternative was to let him go and be forced to find the coach that would keep Paul and Griffin for the next half decade in the next 2 months. Keep in mind to get ANY decent coach you're looking at 3 years and $5 million per. I think the fact that Vinny still has a job is proof that Olshey went to Paul and Griffin and they both are cool with him being back. DUH!!!! Why not wait until they are both Free Agents and have an open coaching vacancy to dangle in front of our 2 stars. It's General Managing 101 not rocket science people. :facepalm:

tredigs
05-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Scott Brooks deserves the boot? What are you smoking/

On topic: probably would have been better to get a change but VDN isn't as bad as people want him to be. He's certainly in the bottom half for NBA coaches but that team he had this year was pretty bad and they at least made it out of the first round. I credit CP3 more than anything, but the NBA's promotion of Griffin's young career can't be overlooked as part of the success. Regardless, the rest of that team was awful.

You know how I know you don't watch the NBA?

flea
05-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Brooks is a top 10 coach in the league and he coaches a great team. Why on earth would he or should he get canned?

tredigs
05-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Brooks is a top 10 coach in the league and he coaches a great team. Why on earth would he or should he get canned?

You HAVE to be kidding me with Scott Brooks being a top 10 coach...???

I have watched 50-60 Thunder games each of the past 3 years; I can't tell you how sorry it is to see his timeout run downs, the complete void of a balanced offense, absolutely pathetic rotations (specifically in the 4th quarter) year after year. He's just a very, very weak overall head coach.

And the fact that he coaches such great individual talent is specifically why he should be canned. If it was the - insert terrible team - then who cares. These guys are legitimate championship contenders, but just look at the dismantling they're being handed by SAS due in very large part to the monumental gap in the level of coaching (goes far beyond just this game, too. Pop has EVERY ONE of his rotation players beaten into form and ready for this type of situation months prior to it happening. He's incredible). Scott Brooks is on par with Del Negro. Bottom 5 coaches.

kylem4711
05-30-2012, 01:13 AM

only thing i can hope for is that he dies soon. guaranteed he lives to be 100 though

willabeast77
05-30-2012, 01:16 AM
This isn't a bad move. The Clippers achieved what was expected this season and they'll get better. Give him another year and see what he does.

kylem4711
05-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Most of you clearly don't get it. This is a 1 year move. I highly doubt VDN is back in 2 seasons. The safer move was to keep Vinny. The alternative was to let him go and be forced to find the coach that would keep Paul and Griffin for the next half decade in the next 2 months. Keep in mind to get ANY decent coach you're looking at 3 years and $5 million per. I think the fact that Vinny still has a job is proof that Olshey went to Paul and Griffin and they both are cool with him being back. DUH!!!! Why not wait until they are both Free Agents and have an open coaching vacancy to dangle in front of our 2 stars. It's General Managing 101 not rocket science people. :facepalm:

while im hoping what you say comes true, the history of the clippers will always be against the team. i really hope this is just not sterling being cheap like he is. also, if oshley leaves, its OVER...

Cracka2HI!
05-30-2012, 01:29 AM
while im hoping what you say comes true, the history of the clippers will always be against the team. i really hope this is just not sterling being cheap like he is. also, if oshley leaves, its OVER...

I hear ya, but I don't think it's like that anymore. This smells more of an Olshey move than a Sterling cheapness move honestly. It's a make sense basketball move from a financial and CP3/Blake prospective. I agree with what you say about Olshey. I really hope he's getting a huge raise or something to lock him up. He is very good at his job. Which is why I don't mind VDN being back.

TopsyTurvy
05-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Sterling can't afford to make a move on a coach like Van Gundy of Sloan as it would bring too much honesty to the organization. #WorstOwnerEver

John Walls Era
05-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Anyone but Sloan. Griffin wouldn't flop on every baseline screen making games unwatchable.

Chronz
05-30-2012, 02:49 AM
I cant make sense of this move