PDA

View Full Version : McCoy up, Thames down...

damadmonk
05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
https://www.facebook.com/BlueJays

North Yorker
05-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Trimming the fat one demotion at a time. I wonder when Snider is going to be ready?

North Yorker
05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I assume they called up McCoy because he can play the middle IF with Yunel and Kelly having injuries. When they're both good to go I'd expect McCoy to be sent down in favour of Snider.

Tmath
05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
The Thames demotion was overdue but why Mike "air miles" McCoy?

treeleaf
05-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Well i cant say i didnt see this coming eventually.

bartron_44
05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Why not Hech? If Escobar or Johnson is going to miss some time, is that not the perfect opportunity to get a look at the young defensive phenom who just happens to be hot at the plate right now too? It would be nice to see him playing with Omar Visquel for a little while to learn from him.

LuckyLuke2
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
They just want Hech to have more time in AAA I Guess. I don't know... this is sort of weird. All the demotions and call ups.

I mean this isn't surprising Thames is playing like crap and Snider is injured so it makes sense but McCoy? For depth at the 2nd base position I guess or SS.

Who plays LF now with Francisco hurt and Gomes in AAA?

darth helmet
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Why not Hech?

With Thames going down, they only have 3 OF now (Davis, Rasmus, Bats). McCoy can play OF and IF so it makes sense he got the call. They probably also don't want to rush Hech, he's hitting well in Vegas but that's Vegas and doesn't mean he's ready for the majors yet.

Bob_at_york
05-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Thames needs to work on his skills down in Vegas. Hopefully he can come back later this year a better player.

Farsight
05-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I would not be surprised to see Johnson get a game or two in left field if needed, as he played their a bit in Atlanta

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Good call giving him the job out of ST Anthopolous. Brilliant stuff.

DeRozan10
05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
All right, welll I was one of the very few Thames supporters in the pre season, and I am not afraid to admit I was 100% wrong about him!!

Ragin' Cajun
05-29-2012, 11:52 AM
It's about time Thames goes down. Hopefully McCoy doesn't stick around too long. But he's a decent call up, has good D and can play all over the field.

North Yorker
05-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Yea, the fact they called up McCoy makes it seem that this will be a short-term solution and that Snider will be up as soon as he starts hitting like he did pre-injury.

No point in yo-yo ing Hech or Sierra when you need short term depth at both middle IF and OF.

jon32
05-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh dear god !!! Its happened !!

darth helmet
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Cecil down
Lind down
Thames down

so who's next on the chopping block?

North Yorker
05-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Cecil down
Lind down
Thames down

Francisco in favour of Vladdy

Tmath
05-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Cecil down
Lind down
Thames down

Drabek

Raps08-09 Champ
05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Who's going to play left? I assume Rajai Davis?

Dol-Fan
05-29-2012, 12:13 PM

I can't believe it was so hard to see that Thames had 0 potential. Unfortunate since sending Snider down resulted in an injury.

Side note - that Las Vegas team is going to be unreal with Thames. Lind, Thames, TdA, Hech, Gose, Sierra, Gomes...filthy stuff.

Bob_at_york
05-29-2012, 12:15 PM

I think it was more so Farrell than AA. John seems to think that since Thames ended the season as the leftfielder that it was his spot "to lose".

alistar
05-29-2012, 12:16 PM
I can't believe it was so hard to see that Thames had 0 potential. Unfortunate since sending Snider down resulted in an injury.

Side note - that Las Vegas team is going to be unreal with Thames. Lind, Thames, TdA, Hech, Gose, Sierra, Gomes...filthy stuff.

Yup, a Las Vegas 51s championship. That's what Jays fans have been waiting 20 years for.

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM

But hey, let's not criticize Ninja Assassin GM or whatever the hell they're calling him nowadays for slotting two guys into 1B/LF and the middle of the order who've combined for almost -1.5 WAR in two months. This isn't 2010 Lind/Hill just falling off a cliff production wise either, this was not hard to see coming.

Bob_at_york
05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
But hey, let's not criticize Ninja Assassin GM or whatever the hell they're calling him nowadays for slotting two guys into 1B/LF and the middle of the order who've combined for almost -1.5 WAR in two months. This isn't 2010 Lind/Hill just falling off a cliff production wise either, this was not hard to see coming.

I didn't say he should take NO BLAME, I just more of the Thames thing should be on Farrell.

wagnall
05-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Okay boys, the consensus was that Thames needed to go back to AAA, now thats done and hopefully we all take a breath on this now. I would think that Snider will comeback once he is healed and ready.

Didn't McCoy play some OF here last year.

wagnall
05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
The way Johnson looked running those bases, reminded me of Gibson after his WS homer. McCoy here just in case he can't go, or has to come out. Guess Esc. out again.

Sadds The Gr8
05-29-2012, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGHeQw49ws&list=FLmLJ2IyEXe7RKhXjcghb9jQ&index=15&feature=plpp_video

LuckyLuke2
05-29-2012, 12:54 PM
I too was a Thames supporter, he looked horrible. So I now hope Snider when healthy gets a chance to show what he's got I am sure once he's back healthy his confidence will be up knowing Thames is down.

StayOnBoard
05-29-2012, 12:59 PM
The job should have been given to Snider from day 1.... Thames is the worst fielder I think I've ever seen in the 20+ years I've been watching baseball.

McCoy is only here for insurance for Escobar/KJ, he'll be back down soon enough (hopefully someone with upside will take his place).

bomber0104
05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
just makes AA and Farrell look pathetic for giving that scrub the job over snider in ST.. he had no business being on the team and continued to shot it game after game

StayOnBoard
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
just makes AA and Farrell look pathetic for giving that scrub the job over snider in ST.. he had no business being on the team and continued to shot it game after game

How does it make them look pathetic? We all know you'd do a better job running this team, but the fact is they wanted to see what they got with Thames, to see if he had a future with Toronto. I assume they've done that and decided what the rest of us already knew (which is, the guy is pretty awful) but its hard to blame them for taking the chance on a guy. Snider hasn't exactly done anything worth talking about at the major league level either, let's not pretend this is a superstar they sent down to Vegas. They took a chance on this Bautista guy a few years ago when everyone thought he sucked too.... just sayin.

FlakeyFool
05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
**** sakes mccoy is back

The Analyst
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Thames needs to spend less time doing tree poses and more time at least making himself a one-tool player. He can't hit for power or average, has no arm, no glove and no speed. He's no better than ol' Russ Adams!

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 01:27 PM
How does it make them look pathetic? We all know you'd do a better job running this team, but the fact is they wanted to see what they got with Thames, to see if he had a future with Toronto. I assume they've done that and decided what the rest of us already knew (which is, the guy is pretty awful) but its hard to blame them for taking the chance on a guy. Snider hasn't exactly done anything worth talking about at the major league level either, let's not pretend this is a superstar they sent down to Vegas. They took a chance on this Bautista guy a few years ago when everyone thought he sucked too.... just sayin.

Well that's one way to make excuses for the front office's failures. By that logic, shouldn't there be a revolving door of non-prospects getting their shot to prove themselves? Well of course not, because it's the GM's job to properly evaluate these guys before they fail at the big league level and hurt the big club in the process. These guys aren't being paid to throw **** at the wall and see what sticks.

StayOnBoard
05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Well that's one way to make excuses for the front office's failures. By that logic, shouldn't there be a revolving door of non-prospects getting their shot to prove themselves? Well of course not, because it's the GM's job to properly evaluate these guys before they fail at the big league level and hurt the big club in the process. These guys aren't being paid to throw **** at the wall and see what sticks.

Nope - I agree with you completely.... but if you can show me one GM who's flawless, has not made ANY wrong moves and every single decision has worked out 100% of the time I'll be most impressed.

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Wanna show me a GM whose #4 starter, starting first baseman (and cleanup hitter!), and starting left fielder have all been demoted withing two months of baseball because of their abysmal performance? Let's not pretend this is AA's only gaffe.

LuckyLuke2
05-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Wanna show me a GM whose #4 starter, starting first baseman (and cleanup hitter!), and starting left fielder have all been demoted withing two months of baseball because of their abysmal performance? Let's not pretend this is AA's only gaffe.

Gotta admit you're right. It's impossible to find a team that has had this many demotions especially to a starting LF and 1B.

As well as Cecil let's not forget. But, it happens. It was either Thames and Snider so, it could have gone either way.

No one expected Lind to **** the bed this early and this bad... and Cecil came out of nowhere. But yeah I agree. AA is bothering me a little lately.

StayOnBoard
05-29-2012, 01:48 PM

Would you prefer to keep them in the line up?

I don't pretend anything that you are implying, but I also think its much harder in his shoes than it is to ***** about every wrong move on the forums.... Obviously hes made lots of questionable decisions, but so has every gm.... But your right, lets fire him and start from scratch. Actually, a better statement is, who would you hire as an alternative? And how long would you give this person before you light the torches?

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Would you prefer to keep them in the line up?

I don't pretend anything that you are implying, but I also think its much harder in his shoes than it is to ***** about every wrong move on the forums.... Obviously hes made lots of questionable decisions, but so has every gm.... But your right, lets fire him and start from scratch. Actually, a better statement is, who would you hire as an alternative? And how long would you give this person before you light the torches?

Yeah that's what I said. Bye.

Bob_at_york
05-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Rebuilding teams are more likely to leave the batters up and let them work through their struggles. Their owners also probably aren't cool with putting a 5+ mil player in the minors.

miller74
05-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Outside of speculation when was Cecil ever the 4th starter? LF is one of the easiest positions to fill, hes trying to fill it in house first before paying for one by trade or FA, why would a rebuilding team approach that any other way???
Lind was being paid 5mil to play first they were committed, and he peformed in the past but simply fell apart, how is that AA's fault?

The Jays are still a .500 caliber team and i get it ur pissed, but we are 2 years and 2 months into a rebuild. They have the youngest staff, not many holes, a winning record and a bright future, things could be much much worse.

JMac4PM
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
man... its gonna really sting for Snider when they bench him in AAA so Thames can take the starting LF job.

craigerlee
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
I would not be surprised to see Johnson get a game or two in left field if needed, as he played their a bit in Atlanta

Not a chance with hamstring injury. They'll keep him at 2B, LF is killer on the hammy.

King Rick
05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I love how everyone is saying "We should call Snider up, blah blah blah". When they call him up, and he ***** the bed just like every other time he's played (don't give me this "He hasn't had enough AB's in the MLB", he's been up and down for what? 3 years now? That's more than enough) you will all be the first ones to say "We never should've called him up, what a waste, rabble rabble rabble"

Some of you are worse than my fellow Leaf fans. Not something to be proud of.

koreancabbage
05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
man, this team really sucks now lol mismatched pieces all over the place. no wonder we're at the bottom of the standings.

LuckyLuke2
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Outside of speculation when was Cecil ever the 4th starter? LF is one of the easiest positions to fill, hes trying to fill it in house first before paying for one by trade or FA, why would a rebuilding team approach that any other way???
Lind was being paid 5mil to play first they were committed, and he peformed in the past but simply fell apart, how is that AA's fault?

The Jays are still a .500 caliber team and i get it ur pissed, but we are 2 years and 2 months into a rebuild. They have the youngest staff, not many holes, a winning record and a bright future, things could be much much worse.

Cecil was the 4th starter there is no way he wouldn't have been. Nobody expected Hutchinson to win the 5th spot out of ST... which already leaves a hole. Hell, even Drabek wasn't guaranteed a spot.

So yeah I have to say Cecil was definitely penciled in to be the 3rd or even 4th starter. He just looked really bad in ST and has been in AA ever since.

Other than that I agree.

craigerlee
05-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I love how everyone is saying "We should call Snider up, blah blah blah". When they call him up, and he ***** the bed just like every other time he's played (don't give me this "He hasn't had enough AB's in the MLB", he's been up and down for what? 3 years now? That's more than enough) you will all be the first ones to say "We never should've called him up, what a waste, rabble rabble rabble"

Thing is I think most of us, certainly me anyways, would rather see talent fail then non talent fail and know definitively that it wasn't gonna work. With Thames there wasn't a whole lot of talent there, certainly nowhere near what Snider brings to the table. At least if Snider would of been given a long stint where he had the opportunity to make adjustments to pitchers we'd feel a heck of lot better about calling him a failure. I don't think Snider has seen more than 100 AB's in one stint.

slazzy16
05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I agree 100% Thames looked terrible, its to bad Cooper wasn't more durable. I don't mind the guy, he seems to hit everywere he goes. Doesn't have much power, maybe 15-20 homerun type guy, but not good for first base. Hes definately a guy I would like to see more of but not at first with that power..

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Rebuilding teams are more likely to leave the batters up and let them work through their struggles. Their owners also probably aren't cool with putting a 5+ mil player in the minors.

Missing the point.

Outside of speculation when was Cecil ever the 4th starter?

He was penciled in all offseason.

LF is one of the easiest positions to fill, hes trying to fill it in house first before paying for one by trade or FA, why would a rebuilding team approach that any other way???

Didn't need a trade, didn't need a free agent. The approach a rebuilding team should be taking is giving high-ceiling big league ready players every possible chance to succeed at the big league level. Instead they chose the older, less talented, lower ceiling player out of some misguided loyalty.

How is it NOT AA's fault? Who gave him that extension? Whose job is it to evaluate players?

Sure, but they could have been much better with a few minor moves.

man... its gonna really sting for Snider when they bench him in AAA so Thames can take the starting LF job.

:laugh2: Fantastic

Cool, and if he fails you move on. Fact still remains there was one potential long-term LF solution in the system and it ain't the one who started the year in the bigs.

darth helmet
05-29-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't really get what all the griping is about. Both Thames and Snider had a good ST and the job was Thames' to lose (which he obviously didn't). Whether you agree(d) with that decision is trivial. AA had to make a choice and either one would have been right by some fans eyes and wrong by others. I supported his decision because nobody has a crystal ball and as long as he has a rational thought process behind his decisions I can usually get on board with them.

Fast forward to now, Thames has had plenty of time to show what he's got and at this point it's clearly more than just a slump so down he goes. What's to complain about? I love that AA is giving players a chance to prove themselves at this level and not afraid to send them back down if they don't succeed. This isn't the year for the Jays to chase the World Series, anyone who ever believed otherwise is crazy. Fans just need some patience (and I know that's a big ask in Toronto) because we're getting close, very close but there's still some trials and tribulations that the team needs to endure and a few holes that still need to be filled before we can call ourselves contenders. It's not going to happen this season, the sooner you can accept that the sooner you can just appreciate the development process the youngsters have to go through.

Bob_at_york
05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
I love how everyone is saying "We should call Snider up, blah blah blah". When they call him up, and he ***** the bed just like every other time he's played (don't give me this "He hasn't had enough AB's in the MLB", he's been up and down for what? 3 years now?
Yes and over his major league career he is on pace for 20 home runs and double-digit stolen bases. Not bad for a kid who just turned 24 this year. He could still perform at the level he did previously and out-perform Thames in the field and with the bat.

Bob_at_york
05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Missing the point.
Oh. Sorry, I thought you were talking about how most teams wouldn't have sent down three key spots on a team. I was trying to explain why most teams wouldn't.

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't really get what all the griping is about. Both Thames and Snider had a good ST and the job was Thames' to lose (which he obviously didn't). Whether you agree(d) with that decision is trivial. AA had to make a choice and either one would have been right by some fans eyes and wrong by others. I supported his decision because nobody has a crystal ball and as long as he has a rational thought process behind his decisions I can usually get on board with them.

What's the rational thought process that leads to choosing the guy with the lower ceiling and no defensive value? Not seeing it. That he had the job in September isn't good enough.

Fast forward to now, Thames has had plenty of time to show what he's got and at this point it's clearly more than just a slump so down he goes. What's to complain about?

Um, two months of terrible baseball out of multiple positions?

I love that AA is giving players a chance to prove themselves at this level and not afraid to send them back down if they don't succeed. This isn't the year for the Jays to chase the World Series, anyone who ever believed otherwise is crazy. Fans just need some patience (and I know that's a big ask in Toronto) because we're getting close, very close but there's still some trials and tribulations that the team needs to endure and a few holes that still need to be filled before we can call ourselves contenders. It's not going to happen this season, the sooner you can accept that the sooner you can just appreciate the development process the youngsters have to go through.

Again, the 'throw **** and see what sticks' strategy. Why do people think that's good enough? There's an area somewhere between handing out 9 figure contracts and praying that a bunch of non-prospects (your Thames', Cooper's, and Gomes') will give you something, to me that's where the Jays should have been and they clearly aren't.

Oh. Sorry, I thought you were talking about how most teams wouldn't have sent down three key spots on a team. I was trying to explain why most teams wouldn't.

No, I read that wrong. It was a fair point. My mistake.

miller74
05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Missing the point.

He was penciled in all offseason.

Didn't need a trade, didn't need a free agent. The approach a rebuilding team should be taking is giving high-ceiling big league ready players every possible chance to succeed at the big league level. Instead they chose the older, less talented, lower ceiling player out of some misguided loyalty.

How is it NOT AA's fault? Who gave him that extension? Whose job is it to evaluate players?

Sure, but they could have been much better with a few minor moves.

:laugh2: Fantastic

Cool, and if he fails you move on. Fact still remains there was one potential long-term LF solution in the system and it ain't the one who started the year in the bigs.

The reason they say "penciled in" is because thats tentative and not for sure. He still had to come to ST and win his spot and he did not do that. Two young pitchers with higher ceilings took 2 spots in the rotation away from Cecil and thats a negative thing to the GM??

As for Lind, he has been very productive, Silver Slugger 1 year, 26HR last year and still is only getting paid 5mil, really dont think he did a bad job signing him to that.

Thames VS Snider i have always thought Snider should have won the job but they gave it toThames, he earned it according to them and thats over for now, that really didnt make or break the season up to this point.

2009mvp
05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
The reason they say "penciled in" is because thats tentative and not for sure. He still had to come to ST and win his spot and he did not do that. Two young pitchers with higher ceilings took 2 spots in the rotation away from Cecil and thats a negative thing to the GM??

I'd argue Hutch was rushed a bit, but you're right. Not really hung up on the Cecil thing, shouldn't have mentioned him in the first place.

As for Lind, he has been very productive, Silver Slugger 1 year, 26HR last year and still is only getting paid 5mil, really dont think he did a bad job signing him to that.

He had one fluke year. Please don't tell me you're trying to argue that he's been anything short of awful since then. And it's not "only 5 mil," it's 17 million over 3 years (assuming the buyout), and the first two years and 10M have produced -0.2 WAR. On what planet is 17M to a guy who belongs in Vegas not a bad job?

Thames VS Snider i have always thought Snider should have won the job but they gave it toThames, he earned it according to them and thats over for now, that really didnt make or break the season up to this point.

Not about this season, it's about Snider's career.

LuckyLuke2
05-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Igarashi claimed off Waivers by the Yanks.

Blue Jays Twitter Feed.

miller74
05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd argue Hutch was rushed a bit, but you're right. Not really hung up on the Cecil thing, shouldn't have mentioned him in the first place.

He had one fluke year. Please don't tell me you're trying to argue that he's been anything short of awful since then. And it's not "only 5 mil," it's 17 million over 3 years (assuming the buyout), and the first two years and 10M have produced -0.2 WAR. On what planet is 17M to a guy who belongs in Vegas not a bad job?

Not about this season, it's about Snider's career.

Im not a WAR guy, Lind has been productive in the past and showed when healthy he can produce, its not a huge amount of money to eat, if Lind could have gotten close to his 08 numbers he would have been a steal, while there really isnt anything better behind him, it was gamble to wait and see if he got back to form i dont have a problem with that.

Snider ya def agree i dont like at all how hes been handled, but thats Snider, coaching staff and AA fault, but i dont see it as huge deal for the teams success this year.

FLeays
05-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Thames needs to work on his skills down in Vegas. Hopefully he can come back later this year a better player.

He's also going to be working on his grin too in AAA.

bomber0104
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM

haha.. if that is what we are doing this season, then Snider was much more worthy of that opportunity given this is his last year with options while thames still has at least a couple

LuckyLuke2
05-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Johnson and Escobar both playing tonight. Both starting.

Davis in LF. Cooper at 1B.

bomber0104
05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
what bothers me is that about 80% of the people on this forum were able to see that Thames had nothing yet AA couldn't..

Bob_at_york
05-29-2012, 04:08 PM
what bothers me is that about 80% of the people on this forum were able to see that Thames had nothing yet AA couldn't..

quick question: If you were AA and you wanted Thames sent down but your coach wanted to keep the guy at the MLB level, would you give the player and his coach more leash?

Toxeryll
05-29-2012, 04:09 PM
AA sucks at evaluating talent

Jamiecballer
05-29-2012, 04:51 PM
quick question: If you were AA and you wanted Thames sent down but your coach wanted to keep the guy at the MLB level, would you give the player and his coach more leash?

knowing that you had a relationship you had to manage, of course you would.

FlakeyFool
05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
AA sucks at evaluating talent

He got raped in the halladay trade right?

Toxeryll
05-29-2012, 05:01 PM
He got raped in the halladay trade right?

ya

1hardcore
05-29-2012, 05:06 PM
i'm baffled with this org.

If theyre not gonna bring up Snider then TRADE THE ****EN GUY!!!

town123
05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Why not Hech? If Escobar or Johnson is going to miss some time, is that not the perfect opportunity to get a look at the young defensive phenom who just happens to be hot at the plate right now too? It would be nice to see him playing with Omar Visquel for a little while to learn from him.

I like you Bartron. Your posts are usually/always logical. Good on ya.

TO Rapz
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
i'm baffled with this org.

If theyre not gonna bring up Snider then TRADE THE ****EN GUY!!!

He's hurt.

nithanyo
05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Trimming the fat one demotion at a time. I wonder when Snider is going to be ready?

Snider is like 40% body fat. If AA is cutting for the summer so he can show his abs calling up Snider wouldn't be wise lol.

Seriously though. Snider Cant hit a major league pitch. Just a matter of time before Bomber calls for his head too

bomber0104
05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Snider is like 40% body fat. If AA is cutting for the summer so he can show his abs calling up Snider wouldn't be wise lol.

Seriously though. Snider Cant hit a major league pitch. Just a matter of time before Bomber calls for his head too

i sure will if he doesn't perform.. but he has yet to be given a fair chance..

FLeays
05-29-2012, 05:45 PM

Because AA and the other 20% couldn't see past that flashy grin of Thames.

Twitchy
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I think when AA/Farrell really like a player it blinds them from his true abilities. Jo-Jo Reyes was one instance and Thames is another.

I don't like bashing Thames because I liked him as a prospect, but it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be a part of a winning Blue Jays team. They need to get someone else, whether that's Snider or someone via trade/FA. Ideally Snider gets a shot, but if he's not healthy there's zero point in calling him up.

There's not really much to say here. It's the right move but it came way too late.

idrinkpepsi
05-29-2012, 05:54 PM
:clap:

Long overdue.

Kelly Gruber
05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Snider is hurt and Thames was given 150 ABs to see if he could improve. You try to make the most out of assets, not dump them 1/8th of the way into the season...

Some of you guys need to calm the **** down you're creeping me out. AA is not an idiot, people around here are not smarter, or better at evaluating talent than him. John Farrell is a good, perhaps inexperienced manager. I think some of you guys don't realize how baseball works. 150 ABs is not a long look at a player. You can't just call up rookies in baseball and hope they make a difference. It takes years of development to be ready for the big leagues for most guys. 1000s of ABs and reps in the field. You need to develop strength and balance and learn the nuances of the game inside and out. Look at Lawrie, he's young and ready enough to play, yet still makes the odd bone-headed choice. If you called up Gose or McDade, you guys would tear them apart. They're not here because they're not ready! They'd hit about .066 between them and be lost, shattering their confidence. Baseball is about patience, it's not the NHL, it's not the NFL, things work differently, players come along differently. There are off-field and other factors that come into play that fans will have no idea about. Those things come into play, watching a player work and interact with the team comes into play. It's not just OPS and WAR. Stop complaining for a while and enjoy one of the youngest teams in baseball with one of the top farm systems ALREADY hanging around in the AL East. Have some patience grasshoppers!

/Rant

leafswin2011
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
mmmkay....in mr.mackeys voice

mtf
05-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Last year out of spring training, Anthopoulos (against the wishes of Farrell) started Lawrie off in Triple-A. Apparently Farrell was emphatic about wanting to break opening day with him.

The Thames decision was on Anthopoulos, as was the decision to not find a better alternative to Lind. Both decisions were glaring holes in the line-up and most fans knew it before the season began. This was a case of Anthopoulos going into the season with high hopes, rather than high expectations.

Before someone goes into hyperbole mode (and we know who the usual suspects are around here) and say that I'm suggesting that Anthopoulos is not the godly creature you all paint him as that I'm saying he should be fired immediately, this is simply not the case. If you want to be fair, you have to acknowledge the negatives when they come along, just as you do when praising the positives.

13Lawrie13
05-29-2012, 06:44 PM

This is an interesting way to cover your ***.

At least most of those who supported Thames are admitting they were wrong.

Nick O
05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
IS THERE EVEN A REASON TO WATCH TO ANYMORE!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( sniff

AA09-?
05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Meh.

AA09-?
05-30-2012, 09:30 AM

Better change your sig.:D

Kenny Powders
05-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Now that Thames and Lind are out of here, I am much happier Jays fan

Toxeryll
05-30-2012, 06:08 PM

get milb.tv :)

Nick O
05-30-2012, 06:13 PM
R.I.P Captain Biceps.. I will never forget you!!!! XOXOX FOREVER! LOVE YOU ERIC!

StealingSigns
05-30-2012, 06:16 PM
R.I.P Captain Biceps.. I will never forget you!!!! XOXOX FOREVER! LOVE YOU ERIC!

:laugh:

Kenny Powders
05-30-2012, 06:19 PM

:laugh2:
Reminds me of fatal attraction. Would hate to see how bad your obsession would be if he was actually a good ball player.

mtf
05-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Now that Thames and Lind are out of here, I am much happier Jays fan

Me too. Getting dead weight out of the middle of the lineup is addition by subtraction. It doesn't hurt that David Cooper has been a pleasant surprise since coming up as well, and even Yan Gomes hit well in his brief stint with the big club.

Nick O
05-30-2012, 08:42 PM
My shrine to our fallen hero is now complete in my room... In memory of my sweet prince i will do bicep curls every day for 2 hours until he once again returns to the major leagues!