PDA

View Full Version : Who exactly is this "Casual Fan" the media always talks about?

Jumi
05-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Considering the fact that the NFL is the most watched sporting league in America, along side the viewship and attendence numbers for NASCAR and the IndyCar Series, MMA's rising popularity, and the accepted notion of violence in the movie and music industry, who exactly wants to watch this soft ***** version of the NBA?

The media always eludes to the attraction for the casual fan, but friends I catch a weekly game with have become disgusited at the flopping, lousy officiating, and downright lameness of the NBA right now!

The way the game is called nowadays, in ten years we won't have the classics to look back upon such as the Reggie Miller choke signal at the Garden, the Pippen dunk then step over, no more Mason and Oakley, or the Davis Boys! We'll be watching replays of flops, offensive foul dunks, and four point plays where the defender touched the off hand to win the Finals!!!

We have more contact playing ball at the playground! So I ask, who is the casual fan that likes this garbage? I don't know them, do you?:confused:

tcav701
05-29-2012, 04:56 AM
The guy in Milwaukee wearing a heat jersey.

asandhu23
05-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Really?
http://www.wwio.info/jpg1

even the spambot knows your post is ridiculous.

thenaj17
05-29-2012, 06:04 AM
What they mean is fans who casually follow the NBA without supporting a specific team or attending games, buying memorobilia etc. People who check the scores but don't watch all games with intent interest.

AntiG
05-29-2012, 06:16 AM
What they mean is fans who casually follow the NBA without supporting a specific team or attending games, buying memorobilia etc. People who check the scores but don't watch all games with intent interest.

not even just them. there are plenty of people that are fans of a team but aren't anywhere close to hardcore about it. those all are included in that "casual fan" pool. aka the large majority of female fans, and about 3/4ths of the male fans.

todu82
05-29-2012, 06:35 AM
People like me who watch a scattered game throughout the season and maintain an interest in the sport by following it online.

69centers
05-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Stephen A. Smith on the officiating last night (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4694309/rivers-worst-tech-ive-ever-had)

Smith mentions the casual fan here

PurpleJesus
05-29-2012, 06:57 AM
I am not a casual fan, and I love the NBA.

get off your high horse, and watch some replays of the GOAT Michael Jordan flopping and getting superstar calls. The idea of flopping is not new, it is just overplayed in todays world of youtube and forums...in previous eras of the NBA, flopping was considered a wily veteran play.

Jumi
05-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Superstar calls are one thing, getting called for a foul by getting close to the guy is another! The players now are SOFT! It's that simple! I can understand flopping on a drive to the basket as a "wily veteran play", but on the perimeter? Going over a screen? This isn't a "on my high horse" thing, this is crappy basketball, plain and simple! If the players now are bigger, stronger, and faster, then shouldn't there be better defense for those players?

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2012, 07:17 AM
You're the casual fan.

Jumi
05-29-2012, 07:21 AM
So by the few responses I've recieved so far, I take it most of you guys actually like this new brand of basketball! My bad! I guess I have my answer! Please delete this thread mods! Thanks!

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Not that we like this new brand, but complaining in an internet forum does nothing.

We also don't like you very much...

Jumi
05-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Not that we like this new brand, but complaining in an internet forum does nothing.

As long as I love myself, I think I'll be OK! Are you even over the age of 12? My son likes John Cena!!

Whomewhome
05-29-2012, 07:45 AM
If you post on PSD you are not a casual fan! Even if you have a jersey you are NOT A CASUAL FAN!

Even if you have no interest in the other sports like Baseball for me, WE ARE NOT CASUAL FANS, simple.

A casual fan is often someone who doesn't have a favorite team or someone who watches bits and pieces of a game every once in a while. There are quite a few of them

thekmp211
05-29-2012, 08:05 AM

"we"?

javsvt
05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Right now, I'm a casual fan, my Knicks are out, and I really could care less who is playing right now. I'm rooting for a specific team right now, but I'm not really into it.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
As long as I love myself, I think I'll be OK! Are you even over the age of 12? My son likes John Cena!!

I am John Cena!

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
"we"?

Yes, 'we'.

Whomewhome
05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Right now, I'm a casual fan, my Knicks are out, and I really could care less who is playing right now. I'm rooting for a specific team right now, but I'm not really into it.
you are not a casual fan. especially when you say

MY Knicks!

MY anything = NOT A CASUAL FAN.

javsvt
05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but I would think the NBA still want to keep my interest.

Chill_Will_24
05-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Heat fans... :laugh2:

Im serious..

Heatcheck
05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Heat fans... :laugh2:

Im serious..

check the numbers lil buddy. we got some of the best fans in the league.

no you know what...its better to just go with what everyone else says without actually knowing what your talking about.

tcav701
05-29-2012, 11:09 AM

no you know what...its better to just go with what everyone else says without actually knowing what your talking about.

Is that before or after the fan up campaign?

Heatcheck
05-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Is that before or after the fan up campaign?

since '04

even when we were the worst team in sports we were 5th and 15th in attendance. (the attendance record are by singular years)

torocan
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM
"Casual" fans make up the bulk of any sport.

They're the fans that don't try to watch every game, don't spend hours sifting through stats, and don't go through huge emotional swings every time their team loses.

Sometimes those "casual" fans follow a single team, or a single player. Sometimes they only are interested once the playoffs start or even the Finals.

I'm a "casual fan" of hockey nowdays. When I was younger I used to try to watch every game, now I only watch when my team gets to the playoffs, or if the team is competitive in a given year. And if my team isn't in the playoffs, I'll only start watching the finals, or occassionally earlier if there's an exceptionally dominant team that year.

Lebron has alot of "casual" fans who aren't from Miami. The Bulls had alot of "casual" fans who weren't from Chicago. Jeremy Lin has a TON of "casual" fans.

No matter how important we think we are as faithfuls of the sport, the Casual fans far outnumber us.

The NBA has it right. The "casual" fan isn't interested in obscure stats or rules. They wouldn't know the difference between PER and TOV. However, they WILL spend money. They'll go to games, spend on merchandise, or watch it on Television.

They don't get all worked up over the Draft, or trades unless the "marquee" players are involved.

If you post regularly on PSD, you're most likely NOT a casual fan.

Why does the NBA care about the "casual" fan so much? Sometimes the "casual" fan can develop into the hardcore fan. And if they're interested enough, they'll watch the games with their children who will sometimes develop into hardcore fans.

Not to mention, the advertisers couldn't care less if their fan is casual or hardcore. All they care is that there's enough eyeballs to sell them something.

A perfect example of the impact of the "casual" fan is the Superbowl. Most people who watch the superbowl barely follow football. They couldn't tell you the stats of most of the players, and know precious little about the teams playing.

However, the Superbowl has become a cultural event. Just like following a team or player can become a cultural event.

The NBA would love for the NBA finals to be a cultural event on par with the Superbowl and for more teams to become cultural mainstays in more cities.

Don't knock the "casual" fans. Hardcore fans may pay the overhead, but the "casual" fans is where they make their gravy.

ccugrad1
05-29-2012, 11:20 AM
If you post on PSD you are not a casual fan! Even if you have a jersey you are NOT A CASUAL FAN!

Even if you have no interest in the other sports like Baseball for me, WE ARE NOT CASUAL FANS, simple.

A casual fan is often someone who doesn't have a favorite team or someone who watches bits and pieces of a game every once in a while. There are quite a few of them

I won't necessarily agree with that. I would call myself a "Casual Fan" of the Chicago Bulls-- I couldn't tell you the last time I watched an entire Chicago Bulls basketball game, but I do check the score after they play and watch bits and pieces every so often. But I am not a HARDCORE Bulls fans that is glued to the TV and pattern my day around Chicago Bulls basketball.

BKLYNpigeon
05-29-2012, 11:20 AM
CP3, "if you're not flopping, you're not trying."

Chill_Will_24
05-29-2012, 11:22 AM

I did check the numbers lil budy... it says 07-07-2010.. thats the magic number that represents when Heat fans lost all respect. At least 90% of them.

Heatcheck
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
I did check the numbers lil budy... it says 07-07-2010.. thats the magic number that represents when Heat fans lost all respect. At least 90% of them.

whoahohoho....'vicious' comeback.
in other words, you dont really know **** bout sports, got it.

faze38
05-29-2012, 12:00 PM

get off your high horse, and watch some replays of the GOAT Michael Jordan flopping and getting superstar calls. The idea of flopping is not new, it is just overplayed in todays world of youtube and forums...in previous eras of the NBA, flopping was considered a wily veteran play.

Are u sure u are not a casual fan because last time I checked Jordan played in an era were players got closed lined, put on their backs and didn't get called for F1 or F2s. I mean today somebody drops to the floor like he got hit by a mac truck and all of a sudden there getting 2 FTs and possession I mean to me that seems like a much bigger impact then just a foul. The NBA is softer then it's ever been and if u can't see that u have to be a casual fan. I mean flopping has been in the NBA long before MJ touched the floor but the refs let them play thru it a little more now a days u'll have one game were they let u play thru it and then once u get on the floor with certain teams u can't even touch a player without getting a foul called.

Chill_Will_24
05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
whoahohoho....'vicious' comeback.
in other words, you dont really know **** bout sports, got it.

How was my comment reflective of my sports knowledge? I believe this thread and my post was solely about a fan base.

Cfrey
05-29-2012, 12:45 PM
the casual fan is someone who asks questions while watching an NBA game with a real fan

Heatcheck
05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
How was my comment reflective of my sports knowledge? I believe this thread and my post was solely about a fan base.

You claim that heat fans or "90%" are the definition of the casual fan. i give you evidence to the contrary, and your response is some magic number bullsh*t about the day the franchise signed a player, WE lost ALL respect?

Baseless and irrelevant responses = "i dont know jack about basketball, i have NO counter to this, ill just run my mouth"

tcav701
05-29-2012, 01:28 PM
You claim that heat fans or "90%" are the definition of the casual fan. i give you evidence to the contrary, and your response is some magic number bullsh*t about the day the franchise signed a player, WE lost ALL respect?

Baseless and irrelevant responses = "i dont know jack about basketball, i have NO response to this, ill just run my mouth"

Huh?

Miami has notoriously awful sports fans.

In fact, you could buy playoff tickets the day of their first round home games.

Heatcheck
05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Huh?

I dont know about the tickets part.

All i know is even when we were a HORRENDOUS excuse for a team, AAA was still at 90%capacity.

tcav701
05-29-2012, 01:38 PM
I dont know about the tickets part.

All i know is even when we were a HORRENDOUS excuse for a team, AAA was still at 90%capacity.

So are you saying you are oblivious to your fanbase growing by at least 500% since 2010?

Heatcheck
05-29-2012, 01:43 PM
thats none of my business, i cant help we're the popular team. they are on our dicks now, just like they were on the lakers before, and the bulls before that. they didnt have any real fans either? i cant control what other people do nor do i give three turds what they like.

All l know is I have been watching, we've never had any problems putting butts in the seats like other franchises. and on our worst year, there was more movement in our forum than other teams when theyre ******.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2012, 01:53 PM
the very fact that so many people get upset that fans jumped onboard when their team finally became good is hilarious to me.

Get off your high horse. Who cares why someone likes a team or player, they just do.

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't know what they mean by the casual fan. I know I am a fan of the game. I'm from Windsor, so I am a fan of Detroit and Toronto, but I'll watch whoever happens to be playing. I actually find it hard to watch Detroit and Toronto becaue they are both awful right now. I'm the kind of guy who'll watch the Chi-Bos series a couple of years ago and love the fact that it goes down to the wire and that there is an OT. I'll have a good time watching a Spurs/OKC game (if it's on earlier enough), but I will literally turn the TV off if I'm watching a Miami game and they are getting a disgusting amount of calls, because then I'm not actually watching a basketball game, I'm watching the officials and the Heat teaming up on whoever happens to be playing.

I think I am the kind of fan the NBA should be looking to recruit. Somebody whose gong to visit NBA.com and check the box scores for every game, and watch a couple games on the weekend regardless of who is playing. But the casual fan, they are the type of people who latch on to a band wagon... who root for the Lakers because Shaq and Kobe are on the team, or who root for Miami because James and Wade are on the team. It seems like the fairweather fans that only pay attention to the marquee names are the fans that the league is calling the game for, which sucks for the actual fans. The casual fan will not watch Philly vs. Indy in the conference finals. I will. Casual fans don't want to watch the Spurs and Boston. They want highlgihts and dunks and fast breaks and they want to watch the guys that sell the most jerseys. They are the same fans who only watched the NBA in the 90s when Jordan was playing and those fans are the reason the league had so much trouble re-defining itself after Jordan's second retirement. Those fans are the reason the finals had such low ratings in 94, 95 and 99. They are not the fans the NBA should be gearing the game to. They should be making fair calls so that each team has a fair chance to build a championship and that fans from each NBA city have something worth watching. It's already hard enough to build a winner in a small market because those teams have less money to work with, no point in makign it harder by hammering those teams with bad/biased officaiting. So what if the ratings dip a little because Indy and Philly are in the ECF. What happens when you call the game for the casual fan is that the fans who go to sites like these, and the fans who visit NBA.com and read the articles and check the box scores, they get tired of watching the people who deserve to win get shafted by the officials and stop watching the game. The NBA should be trying to turn people into basketball fans, not Jordan fans and not LBJ fans, because what happens when those players retire? The rating dip and the league has to build itself all over again. Look at the vacuum that Jordan's retirement caused. The Spurs/Knicks finals in 99was the lowest ratings in 15 years for an NBA finals game, and it was a GREAT series! But the casual fan wanted to watch Jordan, so they tuned out and just bought a new pair of Nikes.

Fawk the casual fans. The NBA should be calling the game fairly and consistently and let the product sell itself. Basketball is a great sport and it is entertaining to watch, so just let people play and let whoever wins win and the fans will follow.

Dnovakovic099
05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
the very fact that so many people get upset that fans jumped onboard when their team finally became good is hilarious to me.

Get off your high horse. Who cares why someone likes a team or player, they just do.

If you like anything only once it became good/popular you don't really love it. You just love the attention pretty much. I loved my Bulls the same when they were horseshit as much as I love them now. That makes me a real fan. I don't get upset at Miami fans because I am the same with the Blackhawks, but to say Miami is a good fanbase only because they sell seats is ignorant. There is a difference between a person who goes to AAA arena to have a good time and one who goes there and comes out without a voice. Miami fans have a lot of fans that just go to games for the **** of it. That is why their stadium dosen't fill up until half time.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2012, 02:25 PM
If you like anything only once it became good/popular you don't really love it. You just love the attention pretty much. I loved my Bulls the same when they were horseshit as much as I love them now. That makes me a real fan. I don't get upset at Miami fans because I am the same with the Blackhawks, but to say Miami is a good fanbase only because they sell seats is ignorant. There is a difference between a person who goes to AAA arena to have a good time and one who goes there and comes out without a voice. Miami fans have a lot of fans that just go to games for the **** of it. That is why their stadium dosen't fill up until half time.

I am a Wolves fan dude. I know all about being a fan of a team when they are down and out, and the rest of the city doesn't give a **** about them. But it doesn't make me special because I am what some of these arrogant fans here call a, "true" fan.

I am not saying any team has a good or bad fanbase. I am simply so annoyed at this point reading Miami fans defend themselves for being a fan before the Decision. They shouldn't have to. Who cares when they, or any fan became a fan? How many Knicks fans came out of the woodworks when they traded for Melo, signed Amare, and Linsanity came around? It happens with all fan bases. Funny enough, we had a TON of users join this year in the Wolves forum. You couldn't find a Wolves jersey in Minneapolis last December. But when Rubio started whipping no lookers and Love started playing like a top 10 player, guess which merchandise popped up? Guess who started selling seats and has already had a ton of season ticket purchases for next season? Should I call those fans bandwagoners and act like I am better because I was stupid enough to care when the Wolves were REALLY bad?

Be any kind of fan you want. That is what I say. Who gives a **** when or why you started following them.

Sixerlover
05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Put it this way. Nobody that is reading this thread is a casual fan. Casual fans don't sign up to sports forums.

They are the people who watch big games, love superstars, and generally go with any in the moment trend. Not the biggest fans of that league, but can name the top players and watch the top games.

Heatcheck
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Nobody spends that kind of money for the heck of it, unless your in the lower bowl and thats a few sections.

and I would LOVE to see you break your neck to leave work at five and make it to a heat game at 7:30 through miami traffic, with our AMAZING public transportation system.

Kashmir13579
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM

lmfao

BlinkManJan02
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
People like me who watch a scattered game throughout the season and maintain an interest in the sport by following it online.

I'm the same. I just mainly follow the standings for the NBA and MLB. I don't really watch games. The NFL I am obsessed with though.

JesusNYY_Savior
05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Superstar calls are one thing, getting called for a foul by getting close to the guy is another! The players now are SOFT! It's that simple! I can understand flopping on a drive to the basket as a "wily veteran play", but on the perimeter? Going over a screen? This isn't a "on my high horse" thing, this is crappy basketball, plain and simple! If the players now are bigger, stronger, and faster, then shouldn't there be better defense for those players?

I didnt know Stephen A. joined PSD. Welcome, give me a shout out on ESPN tomorrow. But to the point of the thread, flopping is intelligent basketball. Its how guys like your colleague Bruce Bowen stick around the league. Calm down dude, its an internet forum not a national debate.

NBAFan2012
05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
A Casual Fan is that Lakers fan that only watches basketball when The Lakers are in the playoffs. If they are eliminated they never watch Basketball again. A casual fan also might not ever watch basketball or sports in general, but they will watch The NBA Finals at the Bar just because it is on. ...

DaSeba5
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
A casual sports fan doesn't go on sports forums, doesn't get upset when a team loses like a hardcore fan would, doesn't have a lot of sports merchandise of their favorite team, and goes to games just to go.

It's kind of like in games where the Wii is for people who play for an hour with their friends and family while hardcore gamers will play all day.

Kashmir13579
05-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Would you feel any different if the Wolves were winning 60+ games and making runs to the finals, then all of a sudden this place fills up with johnny-come-lately bandwagoners sporting Ricky Rubio MVP sigs? IMO they would be less of a Wolves fan than yourself, much less..

I'm just using PSD as a vehicle to get my point across, but i mean fans in general.. I see goons where i'm from rocking Miami Heat jerseys and in my head i do not have respect for them.. If you root for Lebron, fine, so be it, but don't go around acting like you're a die-hard Heat fan.. You aren't allowed to reap the benefits..

Think about how I feel dealing with goons who hopped on when Carmelo came!? Not only are they fair-weathered, they're also dumb enough to think the Knicks are relivent enough to justify hopping on board.. Then i have to hear "omgz you're such a hater", everytime i bash 'Melo for taking stupid shots and killing ball-movement..

The Knicks forum was a better place before Carmelo, and the NBA forum was slightly better before James to Miami.

/Rant

:laugh2:

naps
05-29-2012, 04:25 PM

90% of your posts include the word "Heat."

#Don'tGetMad #JustSayin

JordansBulls
05-29-2012, 04:27 PM

This. They essentially only know the sport because of a player or so, not because they really enjoy the sport or not.

Kashmir13579
05-29-2012, 04:50 PM

#Don'tGetMad #JustSayin

90% of your posts are troll-bait..

#hashtagsarelame

effen5
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Please find me a video of mj flopping. I have never seen him flop. I know mj gets superstar calls but he also got hammered more than he got superstar calls.

tcav701
05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

#Don'tGetMad #JustSayin

90% of your posts are relentlessly defending grown men that you would probably sleep with.

#youwillbeathunderfannextyear

kmo429
05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
People like me.

1. Hate the NBA, the players, the media surrounding it, the games, etc, as a whole
2. Root for my hometown team and watch them from time to time
3. Keep up to date on the big stories/players via television
4. Watch some of the playoff games.

JWO35
05-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Please find me a video of mj flopping. I have never seen him flop. I know mj gets superstar calls but he also got hammered more than he got superstar calls.

lol First thing that came up when I Googled "Jordan Flop" enjoy ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1tjPC15bSk&feature=youtu.be&t=46s

effen5
05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
lol First thing that came up when I Googled "Jordan Flop" enjoy ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1tjPC15bSk&feature=youtu.be&t=46s

Great memories :)

greg_ory_2005
05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Put it this way. Nobody that is reading this thread is a casual fan. Casual fans don't sign up to sports forums.

They are the people who watch big games, love superstars, and generally go with any in the moment trend. Not the biggest fans of that league, but can name the top players and watch the top games.

Pretty much this.

JNoel
05-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Huh?

It's not our fault that were populated with like 50% New Yorkers

SpaceJamJordans
05-29-2012, 09:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh maaaan, that made me really laugh

lol, please
05-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Considering the fact that the NFL is the most watched sporting league in America, along side the viewship and attendence numbers for NASCAR and the IndyCar Series, MMA's rising popularity, and the accepted notion of violence in the movie and music industry, who exactly wants to watch this soft ***** version of the NBA?

The media always eludes to the attraction for the casual fan, but friends I catch a weekly game with have become disgusited at the flopping, lousy officiating, and downright lameness of the NBA right now!

The way the game is called nowadays, in ten years we won't have the classics to look back upon such as the Reggie Miller choke signal at the Garden, the Pippen dunk then step over, no more Mason and Oakley, or the Davis Boys! We'll be watching replays of flops, offensive foul dunks, and four point plays where the defender touched the off hand to win the Finals!!!

We have more contact playing ball at the playground! So I ask, who is the casual fan that likes this garbage? I don't know them, do you?:confused:
"casual fan" translates to "PSD NBA forum troll".

Hawkeye15
05-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Would you feel any different if the Wolves were winning 60+ games and making runs to the finals, then all of a sudden this place fills up with johnny-come-lately bandwagoners sporting Ricky Rubio MVP sigs? IMO they would be less of a Wolves fan than yourself, much less..

No, I wouldn't feel any different, outside the fact that I understand I know a lot more about the team than they do.

I'm just using PSD as a vehicle to get my point across, but i mean fans in general.. I see goons where i'm from rocking Miami Heat jerseys and in my head i do not have respect for them.. If you root for Lebron, fine, so be it, but don't go around acting like you're a die-hard Heat fan.. You aren't allowed to reap the benefits..

Why can't you just take satisfaction that you put in the effort to follow the teams and players you loved no matter how bad, instead of even caring about their allegiance? Again, I understand I know a lot more about the game of basketball than some casual fan, otherwise I would chat around the water cooler at work with the rest of the guys instead of coming here to talk with fans like yourself, who are far more on the same level.

Think about how I feel dealing with goons who hopped on when Carmelo came!? Not only are they fair-weathered, they're also dumb enough to think the Knicks are relivent enough to justify hopping on board.. Then i have to hear "omgz you're such a hater", everytime i bash 'Melo for taking stupid shots and killing ball-movement..

Yes, your fanbase is extremely sensitive to everything. I am a Yankees fan, I understand NY fans.

The Knicks forum was a better place before Carmelo, and the NBA forum was slightly better before James to Miami.

ugh, I know.

/Rant

:laugh2:

:clap:

thekmp211
05-29-2012, 10:09 PM
the whole internet used to a cooler place 4 years ago. all sorts of folks to blame for that.