PDA

View Full Version : Why we aren't in the Stanley Cup Finals

NYRangers4Life
05-27-2012, 08:42 PM
First of all I'm proud of our club and what they have accomplished this year. We are a young club and should be very successful for years to come. However, we are missing a few key ingredients to push us over the top.

1) We need a forward who is going to park in front of the net and cause trouble for opposing D and score the garbage goals. Cally does it from time to time, and Avery did it, but we need a rugged guy who makes that a living. As much as I hate the Flyers you gotta give it to the guys like Hartnell and Simmonds for doing just that. There were so many opportunities to bang pucks home all playoff long, but we never had the man there to do so.

2) A strong offensive minded d-man. Leetch and Zubov easily come to mind here. The power play struggled because we didn't have a true quarterback to set the tone. Richards is a great player but he doesn't need to be on the blue line running our power play. McD and MDZ have the potential possibly but aren't there yet.

3) Scoring! It killed us in the long run and will continue to do so unless it is addressed. Our fourth line is pretty worthless in the goal scoring department and it needs to be remedied. Heck, even our third line is pretty shabby. If we can get some of our guys to where they were a season ago in the goals department we should be okay, but can they regain that touch (Dubinsky, Boyle)?

I look forward to next season already. Heartbroken still for this season.

Go Kings!

Let's Go Rangers!

bsi
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
At this point in the rebuild we aren't even supposed to be close to the finals. This team overachieved all year, it takes time to build a winner, and I realize we haven 't won since 94 but up until the last 2-3 years we were constantly signing and trading for older players who were past their prime, finally the organization stepped back and are doing it the right way. So basically the rebuild is AHEAD of schedule, the team did really well being in first in the east and making it to the eastern conference finals. Keep in mind this team scratched it's way into the playoffs last year as the 8th seed, it is quite the improvement over a year. I said it at the start of the year that we are a scoring winger and a solid D away from being Cup champs. If Sauer is now not gonna be available we need two D, I love Bickel but he's not good enough for Torts to trust to play, as was evident in the game where McDonagh played 53 mins and Bickel 3 mins. Stralman, Eminger and BIckel are all fill ins, because of that our top 4 got burnt out in the first two 7 game series'. I think we've made great progress and as Tortorella said going this far into a playoffs tells you who's valuable to the team and who just doesn't have it.They'll continue to tweak this team until it wins, and I'm ok with that, I think the organization is now finally doing a good job.

nyr1980
05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Has there been any data actually released on Sauer? What's his status moving forward?

It would suck if he's unavailable. He's certainly good enough to play in the bottom pair for 18 mins a night and Torts trusts him.

I don't think D is the problem. They have 4 excellent young Dmen, McD and MDZ are only going to improve, they have Erixom and McIlraith coming and they'll take a run at Schultz if he's available.

Need another forward who can score 30.

nyr1980
05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
And I think there is A LOT more offense coming with McDonagh.

fingerbang
05-28-2012, 03:26 PM
We're not in the Stanley Cup because we didn't show up for the first 10 minutes of game 5 and 6.

YankeeFanAlways
05-28-2012, 03:49 PM
We're not in the Stanley Cup because we didn't show up for the first 10 minutes of game 5 and 6.

^ BANG (no pun intended)

MJL80
05-28-2012, 07:20 PM

And maybe bc we played like crap much of the playoffs, with the exceptions of a few games. Sure there were some bright spots, but we got outplayed overall in each series IMO..... we only advanced because of #30