PDA

View Full Version : Want to win wild card call up Gose and d'Arnaud.

madhatter04
05-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Both are killing Pacific coast league.

If this team truly wants to win they need to put the best players on the field. Get rid of Thames and put Gose in left. Defense alone would be +4 WAR. Then add speed and a better bat, has to be another +1 or 2. That alone could be a major difference in winning a wild card spot

This team needs another good starter badly, a vet to stop these 3 game losing streaks and help mentor the young staff. You have depth at catcher so use it, trade JPA and call up d'Arnaud. At least a +2 WAR over Hutchison. Switch in catchers I would guess is a +1 or +2 WAR.

Soto and Dempster for JPA + a minor leaguer or 2, no one of importance.

wamco
05-27-2012, 09:24 AM
going by ops, you can't leave all-world prospect woodward behind right? Ahead of Gose. Not to mention some guy named Perales (OF) that has 150 ops points on Gose. What about Snider?

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=t_ibp&cid=400

JaysFan87
05-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Bringing up gose now is the definition of rushing a prospect.

AA09-?
05-27-2012, 09:34 AM
TDA I'd consider calling up in a month or so, if he's still hitting like he is now. Gose needs more time.

Krylian
05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
My 2 1/2 year old has a great arm. Call him up now. Why wait?

2009mvp
05-27-2012, 11:26 AM
If a guy turned literally every single ball hit to LF in the air into an out would that be worth 4 wins? I'm thinking no, but it's the only interesting thought this ridiculous thread sparks.

madhatter04
05-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I guarantee that both guys will be up this year.

As per rushing a prospect Hutch was in A ball last year. Bringing up either is not rushing them. There were scouts saying that d'A was ready last year. Law has stated so in his chats.

Thames's stupid errors, misplays and lack of range has already cost us 2 games in the last week, Tampa's game missing the cutoff included.

Thames is an AAAA player and shouldn't be on this team.

A combination of Gose and Rasmus in the OF will save a significant amount of runs. You have 2 CF's tracking down balls. It significantly helps a young staff.

Gose speed on the base will cause pitchers to go crazy ala Davis.

Desmond Jennings Value over Replacement Player is 6.3. Rasmus is a 2.4 mainly because of his defense. I think Gose could easily match that. Thames is -1.4

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1091253

Snider will never be on this team again, AA has already determined that with his actions. As per the rest your post, your just trying to be a troll and isn't worth responding too.

2009mvp
05-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Why make **** up when it isn't hard to find? Thames has cost them half a win by fWAR and bWAR, not 2 to 3. Obviously you have little concept of how WAR works, so why the hell are you using it? Makes a much stronger point if you don't.

Kelly Gruber
05-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah calling up a couple rookies will save us. That always works in baseball...

boilerguy2412
05-27-2012, 12:45 PM
i know it's hard to argue stats like WAR but i hate those stats so much. I know there legit but how can you seriously have a stat for how many games you cost your team.

craigerlee
05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
i know it's hard to argue stats like WAR but i hate those stats so much. I know there legit but how can you seriously have a stat for how many games you cost your team.

The assumption is that over a course of 162 games that's what you will cost your team, so some games your mistakes or poor play will have a huge impact and other games it will have no impact on the outcome, but over the 162 games it will average out. Its quick way to do a lazy comparison, obviously it doesn't hold as much water as some think it does cause UZR is pretty damn unreliable.

2009mvp
05-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I guarantee that both guys will be up this year.

As per rushing a prospect Hutch was in A ball last year. Bringing up either is not rushing them. There were scouts saying that d'A was ready last year. Law has stated so in his chats.

Thames's stupid errors, misplays and lack of range has already cost us 2 games in the last week, Tampa's game missing the cutoff included.

Thames is an AAAA player and shouldn't be on this team.

A combination of Gose and Rasmus in the OF will save a significant amount of runs. You have 2 CF's tracking down balls. It significantly helps a young staff.

Gose speed on the base will cause pitchers to go crazy ala Davis.

Desmond Jennings Value over Replacement Player is 6.3. Rasmus is a 2.4 mainly because of his defense. I think Gose could easily match that. Thames is -1.4

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1091253

Snider will never be on this team again, AA has already determined that with his actions. As per the rest your post, your just trying to be a troll and isn't worth responding too.

Lol you're so far in over your head, just stop. You're giving us BVORP numbers, which is the amount of runs over replacement a player provides offensively, so Rasmus' number has nothin to do with defense. Tell you the truth I don't know much about BP's formulas other than the fact that they seem terribly dated. Either way, those numbers are runs, not wins. Pretty gigantic ****ing difference.

wagnall
05-27-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm sure we'll see d'Arnaud, Gose and Hech in Sept. The only way I see d'Arnaud here before is if AA makes some big deal that includes JPA, which would leave him, Gomes and Mathis to finish off the season.

Can't rush guys. None of the 3 would make a diff. if we make the playoffs or not. JMHO

MrForever
05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Brining up two rookies will help a playoff run?

masTOR_shake1
05-27-2012, 03:11 PM
My 2 1/2 year old has a great arm. Call him up now. Why wait?

...lawrie is up, as are hutch and henderson:punish:. not the most absurd idea i've heard on here by any stretch.

The_Jet11
05-27-2012, 04:29 PM
If we can't come bak in todays game, we are back to .500 baseball. I'm happy to see that francisco isn't wasting a roster spot at the moment... But we have got to do something to get the lineup kicking again. I'm not advocating bringing up Gose and D'arnaud just yet.. But you have got to think about finding another way to create runs. Thames is a barely adequate fielder, doesn't hit for a terribly high average or for even above agerage power, and strikes out four times more than he walks this year.. Surely we have better options for regular duty in LF. If Snider were healthy, i'd have him in LF like, YESTERDAY!

I remember reading an artille during spring training that suggested that our OF defense was a priority, to help the young pitching staff. I can live with Big-E out in LF as long as he is swinging the stick like he had early on... But at some point you have to find something that works more consistently.

I think Murphy needs to go too. We have 4 regulars hitting over .250, and none higher than .273..... The OBPs arent much better.

Time to shake things up, if we want to remain competitive in the East. This boot stomping from the Rangers has shown that we have a couple areas that we need to see big improvements from, if we are ever to compete.

Mendoza Line
05-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Both are killing Pacific coast league.

If this team truly wants to win they need to put the best players on the field. Get rid of Thames and put Gose in left. Defense alone would be +4 WAR. Then add speed and a better bat, has to be another +1 or 2. That alone could be a major difference in winning a wild card spot

This team needs another good starter badly, a vet to stop these 3 game losing streaks and help mentor the young staff. You have depth at catcher so use it, trade JPA and call up d'Arnaud. At least a +2 WAR over Hutchison. Switch in catchers I would guess is a +1 or +2 WAR.

Soto and Dempster for JPA + a minor leaguer or 2, no one of importance.

Pac coast league, nuff said. Gose isn't ready, why ruin potential development bringing him up.

madmike77
05-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Let's be real. This team is not a contender this year. No sense rushing prospects who have decent, but not great, stats in a hitter-friendly league.

idrinkpepsi
05-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Let's be real. This team is not a contender this year. No sense rushing prospects who have decent, but not great, stats in a hitter-friendly league.This, we cannot afford to ruin the development of prospects who can take us to another level. If the Jays brought up Gose and just send him down after he was doing mediocre, most of you guys would turn on AA. AA needs to keep those guys in the minors and just try and get through this year with what we have (except send Thames down for Snidey doe :D)

Krylian
05-27-2012, 07:44 PM
...lawrie is up, as are hutch and henderson:punish:. not the most absurd idea i've heard on here by any stretch.

Gose has been a .250 hitter everywhere and everyone know he still has lots to work on with his hit tool. He's hot not...doesn't mean he's ready.

d'Arnaud has JPA blocking him. Hate JP if you want (I preder TDA as well) but the fact is JPA isn't going to sit. And he doesn't have the offense to play at another position.

Also, 'Want to win wild card call up Gose and d'Arnaud'??? They're not Ruth and Mantle.

Krylian
05-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Let's be real. This team is not a contender this year. No sense rushing prospects who have decent, but not great, stats in a hitter-friendly league.

Most people thought all of these things before the season started.....but once games are played, normal baseball fans turn into idiots and forget the big picture and lose sense of reality.

/thread.