PDA

View Full Version : how the pacers and lakers can get better

11jgib
05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Its become quite clear that the current lakers roster is no longer the unstoppable dynasty they were only a few short years ago. With bynums emergence this year and gasols struggle to find comfort in his new role and no other real tradeable assets the lakers need to consider letting one of their bigs go. While sessions was an upgrade at the point over fisher his inconsistancy proved why he has been with three or four different teams in five seasons. Its not that sessions isn't a solid point guard but he can't be a starter in a league that has derrick rose, chris paul, deron williams, rajon rondo, stephen curry, russel westbrook, kyrie irving and the list just keeps going on... obviously the lakers have a backcourt teamate named kobe bryant to match those stars but his star's shimmer is fading. A young pointguard with some potential and a jumpshot could rejuviate that squad.

The pacers are deep and talented but lack real star power to elevate them to the next level. That level could be contention. Indiana needs to retain roy hibbert. He is far to much of an asset for them to lose in free agency. Their point guard situation is a little bit more flexible. If they lose neal to free agency they still have a very nice young guard in darren collison.

So here's my proposition. Pau gasol for david west (servicable power forward comfortable with limited touches but skilled and able to score) and collison or neal. Clearly neither neal or colison is heading for stardom but their ceilings are both fairly high. David west would do similar things to pau such as play pick and pop ball and carry the team offensively for stretches at a time. The lakers get younger and the pacers get a star. Who loses here? Throw ins may have to be including to make the money work but overall I see benefit for both teams. thoughts?

D12 fan
05-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Who is neal?

West/Collison for Pau is a fair trade.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-26-2012, 07:31 PM
To be honest, the Lakers should trade Kobe if they want to get better(or at least if they don't want to go through the ugly rebuilding years):shrug:, but your trade offer is pretty fair though.

Leftcoast_yg
05-26-2012, 07:38 PM
To be honest, the Lakers should trade Kobe if they want to get better(or at least if they don't want to go through the ugly rebuilding years):shrug:, but your trade offer is pretty fair though.

Trading Kobe would be like telling the Celtics to trade Pierce or San Antonio to trade Duncan. They are the face of their franchise and you don't trade them away. Its called loyalty, what people lack these days :/

smith&wesson
05-26-2012, 07:43 PM
West & Collison or lowry & scola. either way its a fair deal imo.

popo85
05-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Collison fan(UCLA Homer) here but the problem i have with West is he settles for way too many jump shots, though i don't think its a bad trade..

rickshaw
05-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Trading Kobe would be like telling the Celtics to trade Pierce or San Antonio to trade Duncan. They are the face of their franchise and you don't trade them away. Its called loyalty, what people lack these days :/

Yeah. Not like Kobe would ever demand a trade to improve his own situation. Why should the lakers trade him to improve theirs.

beasted86
05-26-2012, 08:13 PM
This sounds risky, but I'd offer Golden State Pau Gasol, a first round pick, and cash for David Lee, Dorrell Wright and their current pick in the draft pick after it's been established they haven't moved up.

That would give them a younger player in Lee who is a better outside shooter than Gasol and will spread the floor better for Bynum. Wright who would love to play in his hometown and would slide into the starting SF spot as another shooter... and they would get likely the 7th pick where they can draft a SG/SF or trade for a young player to take over after Kobe.

RLundi
05-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Loyalty? Is this a joke? This is a business first and foremost. Lakers weren't very loyal to Shaq or Odom or even to Gasol with all the trade rumors. There almost is no loyalty in sports. If I'm LA, the second Kobe starts to decline, I amnesty him and save $30M.

How's that for loyalty?

ThunderousDemon
05-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I think that if Pau's going to get traded, it'll most likely be in a three way deal.

theheatles
05-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Pierce isn't the face of the celtics, KG is the face, Pierce is the sloppy body of the celtics

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Kobe has a no-trade clause you clowns. He's one of two players (the other I think is Dirk), and Kobe has had a no-trade clause since he signed a new yr contract after Shaq was traded in the summer of 2004. He's had it for 8 yrs now.

Cracka2HI!
05-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I think the Lakers would be best off trading Pau for 3-4 players like Houston was going to give up for him. Maybe they trade Pau and MWP for Scola, Martin and Lowry? Houston seemed desperate to get Pau last year. Maybe they would pay that price.

KingOfSanJose
05-26-2012, 09:00 PM
This sounds risky, but I'd offer Golden State Pau Gasol, a first round pick, and cash for David Lee, Dorrell Wright and their current pick in the draft pick after it's been established they haven't moved up.

That would give them a younger player in Lee who is a better outside shooter than Gasol and will spread the floor better for Bynum. Wright who would love to play in his hometown and would slide into the starting SF spot as another shooter... and they would get likely the 7th pick where they can draft a SG/SF or trade for a young player to take over after Kobe.

So 28 year old David lee, a solid rotation sf in wright, and a top 7 pick in what's supposed to be a very deep draft for a player that at times not only vanished but also he's in his 30's, a very late first rounder and some cash? Haha I'd pass

llemon
05-26-2012, 09:05 PM
OKC needs a at least one bigman that is an offensive threat

beasted86
05-26-2012, 09:40 PM
So 28 year old David lee, a solid rotation sf in wright, and a top 7 pick in what's supposed to be a very deep draft for a player that at times not only vanished but also he's in his 30's, a very late first rounder and some cash? Haha I'd pass

Hey, it's an idea, don't kill me.

But from a perspective of the Warriors as I see it they have no 1st option right now. Some of you guys will hope and try and convince yourselves that Curry or by some change Bogut can be the 1st option... but nothing over either of these guys careers says that. Gasol has 3 years left and could be the veteran presence with championship experience to put them over the top.

Richard Jefferson cannot be the "veteran leader" in the locker room. Bogut has been to the playoffs 1 time and got bounced in the 1st round. Wright was a lower role player with Miami. The rest of the team is mostly young players and Gasol is the type of veteran I think the Warriors could use.

beasted86
05-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Also to add... I really have no clue who the Warriors would draft at the 7th spot (assuming they don't move to a top 3 pick) since most of the good players in this draft are front court players and they already have Bogut and Lee who are supposed to be a starting duo getting 30 minutes a piece.

Are they going to go the route of Utah and draft another big anyway and have an overload of PFs and Cs?

Colts2180
05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I hate Gasol but i have to say id have to do this trade. Gasol is the good defensive rebounder weve needed for a while. The age is almost identical with West and Gasol. DC is a guy I can live without with Hill on the roster next year and a probable FA pick up. Id pull the trigger on this deal in a second and start our own twin towers lol.

KingOfSanJose
05-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Also to add... I really have no clue who the Warriors would draft at the 7th spot (assuming they don't move to a top 3 pick) since most of the good players in this draft are front court players and they already have Bogut and Lee who are supposed to be a starting duo getting 30 minutes a piece.

Are they going to go the route of Utah and draft another big anyway and have an overload of PFs and Cs?

This draft is loaded with quality SF's, Gasol isn't a 1st option, at least not anymore and if they kept their pick they could draft for example Harrison Barnes (though he might get drafted 5th or 6th) but that would give them one of the best starting 5's in the league.

PG: Stephen Curry
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: David Lee
C: Andrew Bogut

SF: Richard Jefferson
PF: Pau Gasol

Which starting 5 would you rather have? I'd take the top one all day

AMushroomStamp
05-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Its become quite clear that the current lakers roster is no longer the unstoppable dynasty they were only a few short years ago. With bynums emergence this year and gasols struggle to find comfort in his new role and no other real tradeable assets the lakers need to consider letting one of their bigs go. While sessions was an upgrade at the point over fisher his inconsistancy proved why he has been with three or four different teams in five seasons. Its not that sessions isn't a solid point guard but he can't be a starter in a league that has derrick rose, chris paul, deron williams, rajon rondo, stephen curry, russel westbrook, kyrie irving and the list just keeps going on... obviously the lakers have a backcourt teamate named kobe bryant to match those stars but his star's shimmer is fading. A young pointguard with some potential and a jumpshot could rejuviate that squad.

The pacers are deep and talented but lack real star power to elevate them to the next level. That level could be contention. Indiana needs to retain roy hibbert. He is far to much of an asset for them to lose in free agency. Their point guard situation is a little bit more flexible. If they lose neal to free agency they still have a very nice young guard in darren collison.

So here's my proposition. Pau gasol for david west (servicable power forward comfortable with limited touches but skilled and able to score) and collison or neal. Clearly neither neal or colison is heading for stardom but their ceilings are both fairly high. David west would do similar things to pau such as play pick and pop ball and carry the team offensively for stretches at a time. The lakers get younger and the pacers get a star. Who loses here? Throw ins may have to be including to make the money work but overall I see benefit for both teams. thoughts?

NBA trade ideas forum

AMushroomStamp
05-26-2012, 10:14 PM

people hsould be forced to read the CBA before registering for this site so they know what a NO TRADE CLAUSE is

KobeOwnSU
05-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Indiana throws in their first this year. I mean Indian is getting the best player in the trade and usually, in the NBA that means you get the better end of the deal...Plus if it doesn't work out next year, the following year the will have a huge expiring contract to trade.

beasted86
05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
This draft is loaded with quality SF's, Gasol isn't a 1st option, at least not anymore and if they kept their pick they could draft for example Harrison Barnes (though he might get drafted 5th or 6th) but that would give them one of the best starting 5's in the league.

SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: David Lee

SF: Richard Jefferson
PF: Pau Gasol

Which starting 5 would you rather have? I'd take the top one all day

I can pretty much guarantee you Barnes is going to Portland if another team didn't draft him earlier. I'd also like to know about all these SFs in this draft pass Barnes and Gilchrist.

And the first lineup relies solely on Bogut for defense. At least Gasol is a far better defender and shot blocker than Lee and adds something on that end as well as better passing and shot creating.

And just my opinion but Gasol is far closer to a 1st option than Curry and Bogut currently are. You didn't touch on that topic BTW.