View Full Version : Next years roster

jets1989
05-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Who stays who goes?
WHo are we targeting in FA
WHo is getting called up?

Desert Plains
05-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Some quick random thoughts (in no particular order of importance) ...

We need 3 lines that can score (2 lines or role players doesn't work in today's NHL). We need more offensive talent to fill the top 2 lines - some guys we have on those lines are really 3rd and 4th line players
Rupp is useless - I'm tired of Sather signing tough guys that can't be trusted on the ice. He needs to find a physical forward or 2 that can play 14 - 15 minutes a game (not 4 minutes)
We still need a physical defensemen (I'd like to see Bickel back, don't know of other options)
Not sure we should bring back Fedotenko - good role player, but he doesn't bring enough offense, and we have too many guys like that already. Give the spot to a younger guy
A healthy Sauer will help too - with him and Staal as the 2nd pair
I don't see Erixon as a top 6 guy - I know he's young, but he looked scared out there this year in the few opportunities he got
I see Dubinsky getting traded - we were willing to package him at the trade deadline and he's always in the doghouse. Personally, I love his passion, grit and willingness to stand up for his teammates. But he needed to score more, or he's a 4th line player
Gaborik has to go (40 goal regular season or not) - I saw too many playoff games where it just didn't look like he was willing to compete at the level that's necessary to win playoff games. Can they trade him with his salary? I think so, I'm sure there are team's with cap space that might think he'll help fill seats.

Can't comment on Free Agents we'd target - don't know who's out there yet.

NYY09
05-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Lets see FWIW,

G- Biron stays (I hope)

D - Getting Sauer back should help tremendously. Stralman might price himself out but wouldnt mind getting him back and go Girardi/McD Staal/MDZ Sauer/Stralman with Erixon in the wings. Gotta lighten the load on the top pair.

F - The theme should be scoring, scoring and more scoring, they just need a couple of games they can breathe in during the reg. season. Get a Parise/Nash type to complete the first line, put Kreider on the second with Step and Cally, Hags on the 3rd with Boyle and try to have 3 legit scoring lines.

bsi
05-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd personally like to see Torts lighten his grip on the whip. I think most of our players are limiting their scoring ability for fear of making a defensive mistake. You can't create offense if you are always skating backwards. As for changes, I don't know but we need a better 5+6 D than Bickel and Eminger. I don't mind Stralman because of his offensive abilities but Bickel is too slow and Eminger makes bad decisions. The players I'd keep are Cally, Richards, Dubi, Boyle, Prust, Kreider, Hagelin, Anisimov(only because of his age but the kid has to hit the gym.),McDonagh, Girardi, DZ, Staal and I'm on the fence with Gaborik until I figure out if he was hurt or not, if not then he's not much good to us in the hunt for the cup at his salary. Everyone else I believe could be replaced.
The most frustrating guy of our team is Anisimov IMO, he's got the hands, footspeed, and size to be a big time player, but he's a timid as a kitten and as weak as one too, as I said earlier if he's gonna stay, he's gotta beef up, send him with Gary Roberts for a while.

njnets
05-26-2012, 02:16 PM
they need more offense on the top lines. scoring was a huge issue this year. getting back sauer should help. i am really excited to see a full year of kreider. kid showed some great things in the playoffs.

IAmARanger18
05-26-2012, 02:33 PM
MDZ stays, Biron will stay, Bickel might be the only extra D brought back.

For offense, Prust will stay, Feds and Mitchell will be gone.

We also will look at one of Parise, Penner, Doan for FA's on offense and also Nash or Ryan via trade.

Also we will most likely look at one of Suter or Stuart for FA D.

fingerbang
05-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Stay away from big contracts that can hurt the team down the road. If you wanna ditch Gaborik trade him for youth. Keep bringing up kids from the farm.

We were good enough to win it all this year. They just didn't do it.

IAmARanger18
05-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Honestly I move I would make since our defense is pretty good.

Staal + Prospect + 1st

For

Taylor Hall + Prospect + pick

Oilers need D badly and Staal does that for them, and we get a young up and coming Superstar in Hall to play with Richards or Stepan.

Mr.Wiskers
05-26-2012, 10:44 PM
What would be a tuff deal for either team to pull off---we're talking Taylor Hall and Staal !
My opinion on next year would be to bring back Biron,and Stalman. Sign Doan and Justin Schultz(Ana.'s 43rd pick in '08 who for some reason didn't sign, he played with McDonagh and Stepan at Wisconsin and was a Hobey Baker finalist the last 2 yrs.)
With Girardi,McDonagh,Staal,MDZ, A healthy Sauer--- Schultz,McIlrath,,Erixon can fight it out for the 6th and 7th defenseman spots.
As for the offense i'd deal Gaborik and Anisimov for Bobby Ryan.
Ryan/Richards/Doan
Krieder/Stepan/Callahan
Hagelin/Dubinsky/???
Feds/Boyle/Prust
The 3rd line player would be up in the air for someone to win the spot from JT Miller,Fasth,Zucc's,Jack Wilson or if we have the money we can sign someone.

rhymeratic
05-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Gaborik throughout his career including PRE- Rangers hasn't shown up in the playoffs.
This team desperately needs another goal scoring forward.

Part of it is Torts is stubborn and won't develop that guy from within. Here's hoping Krieder can become that guy or we sign/trade for a marquee guy.

NYRangers4Life
05-29-2012, 02:24 AM
I hope that we re-sign Prust. Great tough guy and penalty killer. We need him on our club.

We need another scorer, at least one, preferably one that can get to the front of the net and get the dirty goals.

Defensively we are really strong I think but there is always room to improve. Stall, Girardi, McD, MDZ can only get better. I like Stralman and Bickel brings toughness. Sauer needs to get healthy though. We do need a quarterback on the blueline. I would love to see Brian Campbell or Jason Garrison here but I have no clue what their status is.

Biron needs to stay as well.

bsi
05-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I hope that we re-sign Prust. Great tough guy and penalty killer. We need him on our club.

We need another scorer, at least one, preferably one that can get to the front of the net and get the dirty goals.

Defensively we are really strong I think but there is always room to improve. Stall, Girardi, McD, MDZ can only get better. I like Stralman and Bickel brings toughness. Sauer needs to get healthy though. We do need a quarterback on the blueline. I would love to see Brian Campbell or Jason Garrison here but I have no clue what their status is.

Biron needs to stay as well.

Prust will be resigned, they'd be crazy to let him go, he's part of the identity of this team and personally i think the guy deserves an 'A'.

NYRFan76
05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Get rid of Dubinksy... he's not worth the money! This will be the best thing the Rangers could do as their first move.

I think our defense is great. I wouldn't change much of it.

Boyle has been a big part of our face offs. I say keep Boyle simply for face off's.

We're missing offense. We did not score more than 3 goals in the playoffs or late in the season either. Gaborik finally reached 40 goals this year and I thought he did decent in the playoffs. I'm not a Richards fan. He hasn't proved himself to me. I think he signed mostly because of the $$$ Those who only sign because of money isn't hungry for the cup. IMO.

Kreider is going to be a big player. He scored some goals in the playoffs and I thought he stepped up for a rookie? Can't wait to see how he does in a regular season.

Keep Prust... I'm a fan of him. Get rid of Rupp!!!

We need an pure goal scorer or someone who can get dirty in front of the net.

bsi
05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Get rid of Dubinksy... he's not worth the money! This will be the best thing the Rangers could do as their first move.

I think our defense is great. I wouldn't change much of it.

Boyle has been a big part of our face offs. I say keep Boyle simply for face off's.

We're missing offense. We did not score more than 3 goals in the playoffs or late in the season either. Gaborik finally reached 40 goals this year and I thought he did decent in the playoffs. I'm not a Richards fan. He hasn't proved himself to me. I think he signed mostly because of the $$$ Those who only sign because of money isn't hungry for the cup. IMO.

Kreider is going to be a big player. He scored some goals in the playoffs and I thought he stepped up for a rookie? Can't wait to see how he does in a regular season.

Keep Prust... I'm a fan of him. Get rid of Rupp!!!

We need an pure goal scorer or someone who can get dirty in front of the net.

I realize Dubinsky didn't have the best year but when he came back from his ankle injury that line was our best. Keep in mind he lead the team in scoring the year before and last year was more of an off season than it was the norm and he's a physical, forechecking hard worker, something we needed more of all playoffs as our smaller forwards were not effective in making the other teams D think twice with the puck. I also don't think there's any need of getting rid of Rupp, he's not hurting us and he's essentially our enforcer. Richards and Lundqvist carried us through the first couple rounds, he looked worn out by the end of the Jersey series. The only guys I think that are in trouble of not being a part of this team going forward are Stralman, Bickel, Eminger, Anisimov, Mitchell and Fedotenko. IMO the only way Dubinsky leaves is if it's for a big time player, but I really don't think the coaching staff or management is done with him yet. I personally think we have the players in our system, we just have to be patient.

NYRFan76
05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
I realize Dubinsky didn't have the best year but when he came back from his ankle injury that line was our best. Keep in mind he lead the team in scoring the year before and last year was more of an off season than it was the norm and he's a physical, forechecking hard worker, something we needed more of all playoffs as our smaller forwards were not effective in making the other teams D think twice with the puck. I also don't think there's any need of getting rid of Rupp, he's not hurting us and he's essentially our enforcer. Richards and Lundqvist carried us through the first couple rounds, he looked worn out by the end of the Jersey series. The only guys I think that are in trouble of not being a part of this team going forward are Stralman, Bickel, Eminger, Anisimov, Mitchell and Fedotenko. IMO the only way Dubinsky leaves is if it's for a big time player, but I really don't think the coaching staff or management is done with him yet. I personally think we have the players in our system, we just have to be patient.

I agree with you as far as the players you picked not being apart of next year's roster. I would like to see Anisimov stay. I thought he was pretty productive.

Our team can't keep depending on our goalie or defense to bail us out all the time.

I just think IMO: Dubinksy should be producing a lot more for the amount of money we signed him for. I expect players who sign big contracts to produce.

Guys like Richards was compared to have the same leadership quality Mark Messier had. I didn't see that in Richards at all.

We should stick with our prospects instead of signing big players. Get younger, get faster and with those two combinations you'll see a hungry team scoring goals and wanting win all the time. :clap:

bsi
05-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I agree with you as far as the players you picked not being apart of next year's roster. I would like to see Anisimov stay. I thought he was pretty productive.

Our team can't keep depending on our goalie or defense to bail us out all the time.

I just think IMO: Dubinksy should be producing a lot more for the amount of money we signed him for. I expect players who sign big contracts to produce.

Guys like Richards was compared to have the same leadership quality Mark Messier had. I didn't see that in Richards at all.

We should stick with our prospects instead of signing big players. Get younger, get faster and with those two combinations you'll see a hungry team scoring goals and wanting win all the time. :clap:

I see we signed Jasper Fast to a contract today, so that's a start. He's a Hagelin type player. Hopefully we continue to keep our young players and give them a shot, I'm really excited about our camp next year.

Foge7
05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Look to sign Parise as offensive help, guy fits our system perfectly and would make a instant impact. Then sign a garrison or schultz at D, hard shot from the point on the powerplay, two moves that would only add and not subtract from our already successful core.

NYY09
05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Parise is arguably the better player but Nash fits better, contract aside. Gaborik is a nice player but doesnt really fit the mold of a consistently successful Eastern conference top-line winger, at 7.5MM no less. He was healthy all year but smart money bets against that becoming a trend.

With the style of play, conference and coaching taken into consideration Nash just make more sense than Gabby. Having both would be the ultimate luxury, and if Kreider can step up next year scoring shouldn't be such a problem.

Curious who the unexpected changes will be....?

bsi
05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Parise is arguably the better player but Nash fits better, contract aside. Gaborik is a nice player but doesnt really fit the mold of a consistently successful Eastern conference top-line winger, at 7.5MM no less. He was healthy all year but smart money bets against that becoming a trend.

With the style of play, conference and coaching taken into consideration Nash just make more sense than Gabby. Having both would be the ultimate luxury, and if Kreider can step up next year scoring shouldn't be such a problem.

Curious who the unexpected changes will be....?

Gaborik was playing with a shoulder injury that he got early in the playoffs. He's supposed to find out soon if he needs surgery on it. That would explain the way he played along the walls and the fact he wasn't getting in the dirty areas like he usually does. Personally I'd rather Nash than Gaborik or Parise, Nash has never gotten a chance to play with players like Parise does until he gets on team Canada and he was arguably the best player on Canada the last Olympics. To get Nash we're gonna have to take a couple steps back in the rebuild as we'll be losing D and emptying our prospect pool, and Parise IMO is gonna stay in NJ.

NYY09
05-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Gaborik was playing with a shoulder injury that he got early in the playoffs. He's supposed to find out soon if he needs surgery on it. That would explain the way he played along the walls and the fact he wasn't getting in the dirty areas like he usually does. Personally I'd rather Nash than Gaborik or Parise, Nash has never gotten a chance to play with players like Parise does until he gets on team Canada and he was arguably the best player on Canada the last Olympics. To get Nash we're gonna have to take a couple steps back in the rebuild as we'll be losing D and emptying our prospect pool, and Parise IMO is gonna stay in NJ.

Didnt read that about Gabby yet, thanks for the heads up.

Should be interesting considering Nash is likely to get moved at the draft. Does Parise become plan B to Nash? Cant really be the other way around can it?

bsi
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Didnt read that about Gabby yet, thanks for the heads up.

Should be interesting considering Nash is likely to get moved at the draft. Does Parise become plan B to Nash? Cant really be the other way around can it?

I have a hard time believing Parise is going anywhere, especially after NJ making it to the finals, any financial troubles they had could be solved by now.

YankeeFanAlways
05-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Look to sign Parise as offensive help, guy fits our system perfectly and would make a instant impact. Then sign a garrison or schultz at D, hard shot from the point on the powerplay, two moves that would only add and not subtract from our already successful core.

If he doesn't sign on with Anaheim he becomes a FA...but when??? Pierre McGuire says he's the most NHL ready amateur defenseman available. If we can sign him then Sather would have the flexibility to use one of our current D-Men in a trade for a scorer.

nyr1980
05-31-2012, 10:24 PM
He'd go UFA 30 days from whenever he officially left school.

bsi
06-01-2012, 02:57 AM
If he doesn't sign on with Anaheim he becomes a FA...but when??? Pierre McGuire says he's the most NHL ready amateur defenseman available. If we can sign him then Sather would have the flexibility to use one of our current D-Men in a trade for a scorer.

Well the problem is we're already two d short though. Adding Schultz and losing DelZotto won't help our back end, and that's assuming Schultz is actually a suitable replacement for DelZotto, which at this point I highly doubt he is. I'd love to just sign Schultz and hope Erixon is ready to play and then we'd have 6 d. If not then we go into next year with the same problem we had this year, burning out our top 4 to the point where they can't clear the puck out. I honestly think any upgrade we make to this team for scoring will come at the trade deadline or in the months before it. Adding another 5-7 million dollar contract to this team isn't easy and it may be unnecessary given the fact that Kreider looked pretty comfortable for a guy who stepped into his first NHL game in the playoffs, give him a year and we may already have that scorer. Or maybe one of Yogan, Thomas, St.Croix, Bourque etc step up. I'd be prepared to start the season with the addition of Schultz, maybe a depth forward or two and maybe another depth D signing and see how the young guys fair out. I mean we did pretty well with what we already had, we were only a couple mistakes away from the cup final.

averymustgo
06-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a hard time believing Parise is going anywhere, especially after NJ making it to the finals, any financial troubles they had could be solved by now.

That's because you are lost. The Devils farm system blows, they are an old team and Parise clearly can see the future there is bleak. That is why he has no interest signing there.

bsi
06-01-2012, 03:45 PM
That's because you are lost. The Devils farm system blows, they are an old team and Parise clearly can see the future there is bleak. That is why he has no interest signing there.

Come on....I'm lost? Parise is their captain, if they had no intention of signing him they would have traded him at the deadline.The Devils aren't old, their goalie is. Parise isn't old, neither is Kovalchuk, Hendrique, Zajak, Josefson, Bernier,Fayne, Larrson, Harold, Greene,Volchenkov etc etc. They have their players playing now. Why would a team that just made it to the finals let their captain walk, especially to their cross town rivals? This isn't Scott Gomez or Bobby Holik we're talking about, this is a bonifide goal scorer in his prime and they don't grow on trees. If you think they'll let him go then you think Lamourello is an idiot, and everyone knows thats not true. I want another goal scorer too but this isn't EA Sports or fantasy hockey and bad moves like this aren't made by the Devils organization it just doesn't happen. If he ever did leave NJ he'd be on his way to Detroit, he wouldn't be coming here. If I'm lost I hate to see what part of town you're in.

Garden Faithful
06-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Their financial troubles haven't gone anywhere they still owe their insurance company a 2 million dollars. If they weren't in financial trouble that should be an easy payment for a sports franchise. They have big money problems and they aren't likely to dissipate because this team is a winner more often than not and they still can not generate the proper revenue stream. They have a large fiscal problem with that team that isn't going away no matter how successful they are.

On another note can we not start the we need another big player nonsense again. We'll have to trade half the team to get nash plus have his (arguably the worst in hockey) contract on our books. Parise will get a massive contract that we don't want to have especially with everyone here talking about resigning players and our lack of depth. You can't have good depth unless you are monumentally lucky if you have too many big contracts it's just not that simple. If you sign one of these big money players they must be either one of three things. One, they are young to insure the fact that father time doesn't get the best of them especially if they are a speed or physically based player. Two, they are one of the best players in the league and I'm not talking top 20 or 30 I'm talking top 5 to top 10 and I have 10 players I would take over Nash and Parise especially with taking contracts into consideration. Thirdly they are the type of player that will make anyone they play with better making their transition on to the team easier as well as their versatility (especially with the way our lines are juggled) within the makeup of the team. Ideally you want all three of these things but you don't get that with Parise or Nash. At least Parise you don't have to give anyone up for him since he's a FA. They are just to pricy to be honest.

bsi
06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Their financial troubles haven't gone anywhere they still owe their insurance company a 2 million dollars. If they weren't in financial trouble that should be an easy payment for a sports franchise. They have big money problems and they aren't likely to dissipate because this team is a winner more often than not and they still can not generate the proper revenue stream. They have a large fiscal problem with that team that isn't going away no matter how successful they are.

On another note can we not start the we need another big player nonsense again. We'll have to trade half the team to get nash plus have his (arguably the worst in hockey) contract on our books. Parise will get a massive contract that we don't want to have especially with everyone here talking about resigning players and our lack of depth. You can't have good depth unless you are monumentally lucky if you have too many big contracts it's just not that simple. If you sign one of these big money players they must be either one of three things. One, they are young to insure the fact that father time doesn't get the best of them especially if they are a speed or physically based player. Two, they are one of the best players in the league and I'm not talking top 20 or 30 I'm talking top 5 to top 10 and I have 10 players I would take over Nash and Parise especially with taking contracts into consideration. Thirdly they are the type of player that will make anyone they play with better making their transition on to the team easier as well as their versatility (especially with the way our lines are juggled) within the makeup of the team. Ideally you want all three of these things but you don't get that with Parise or Nash. At least Parise you don't have to give anyone up for him since he's a FA. They are just to pricy to be honest.

Making it to the Stanley cup finals would easily cover that 2 mill, losing their captain and not making the playoffs next year would only cost them money. If they go down that road they'll be losing the franchise. Parise is a UFA, so if they don't sign him, he's gone for nothing unless they can sucker someone into trading for his rights before the draft, and I'm not sure too many teams would wanna give up a ton of prospects just to have the opportunity to talk to Parise with no guarantee of him signing, I know I wouldn't be too fond of giving up picks and players for that right, only to not sign him. The Devils are in better shape than they are letting on.

Garden Faithful
06-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Making it to the Stanley cup finals would easily cover that 2 mill, losing their captain and not making the playoffs next year would only cost them money. If they go down that road they'll be losing the franchise. Parise is a UFA, so if they don't sign him, he's gone for nothing unless they can sucker someone into trading for his rights before the draft, and I'm not sure too many teams would wanna give up a ton of prospects just to have the opportunity to talk to Parise with no guarantee of him signing, I know I wouldn't be too fond of giving up picks and players for that right, only to not sign him. The Devils are in better shape than they are letting on.

I'm telling you their finances are in bad shape you would think making it to the playoffs or the revenue generated by a single set of home games would pay for that but it doesn't. You can say it will cover that but it doesn't because they are in a tremendous amount of debt because some of their hedged investments didn't pan out. They are fiscally unsound irrespective of how well their team is playing so don't lighten the scope of their financial problems because they are much larger than you're making them out to be. They are not in better shape then they are letting on because they can barely afford to make payroll from week to week. It is what it is, this has nothing to do with my hatred for the Devils its just mathematics.

bsi
06-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm telling you their finances are in bad shape you would think making it to the playoffs or the revenue generated by a single set of home games would pay for that but it doesn't. You can say it will cover that but it doesn't because they are in a tremendous amount of debt because some of their hedged investments didn't pan out. They are fiscally unsound irrespective of how well their team is playing so don't lighten the scope of their financial problems because they are much larger than you're making them out to be. They are not in better shape then they are letting on because they can barely afford to make payroll from week to week. It is what it is, this has nothing to do with my hatred for the Devils its just mathematics.

Ya, they are in a temporary bad state, but the league is behind them, I don't see anything that suggests Parise is leaving. Here's an article from NBC sports.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/30/bettman-devils-are-making-progress-with-financial-situation/