PDA

View Full Version : Knicks Sign Mike Woodson To Extension

MTL_123
05-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Mike Woodson has been given a multi-year contract extension by the Knicks.

“Mike took over the team under challenging circumstances and made it clear, starting on day one, that he was going to hold every player on our roster accountable,” said James Dolan, Executive Chairman, The Madison Square Garden Company. “We saw a significant improvement since Mike took over and believe our team will only keep improving under Mike’s direction.”

Woodson, who had served as New York’s interim head coach since Mar. 14, 2012, guided the Knicks to an 18-6 regular-season mark and the franchise’s second consecutive playoff berth. Over the last 24 games of the regular season, the Knicks posted the second-best record in the NBA and the team’s defense ranked fifth in the NBA in points allowed (91.8) and eighth in opponents’ field goal percentage (.440). Woodson became the first head coach in franchise history to win his first five games and posted the second-best winning percentage ever by an NBA coach who took over a team midseason.

“Mike has the respect of every person in this organization,” Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations and General Manager Glen Grunwald said. “He and his staff led the team in an impressive push into the playoffs over the last 24 games and we believe he is the right man to lead the franchise as we move forward.”

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/221232/Knicks_Sign_Mike_Woodson_To_Extension#ixzz1vvIPzLK F

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Well that 18-6 streak fooled Dolan enough:laugh2:

GiantsSwaGG
05-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I would of choose SVG but I don't mind this at all!

GiantsSwaGG
05-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Well that 18-6 streak fooled Dolan enough:laugh2:

Mike Brown fooled the Lakers

29$JerZ
05-25-2012, 06:53 PM
NY just doesn't learn.

KnicksorBust
05-25-2012, 06:55 PM
NY just doesn't learn.

You don't like Woodson?

justinnum1
05-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Big time mistake.

SeoulBeatz
05-25-2012, 07:01 PM
NY just doesn't learn.

?

I think it's a very good signing. The Knicks players respect Woodson (unlike Dantoni) and he turned the team around in the 2nd half of the season.

I think the Knicks chemistry issues have more to do with certain players than the coach at this point.

Good signing to add stability to the organization.

Beltrans Mole
05-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Mike Brown fooled the Lakers

ZING! Mike Brown is the most overrated coach in the league. Enjoy that Lakers fans!

Ill21
05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Huge mistake

D1JM
05-25-2012, 07:11 PM
nice

justinnum1
05-25-2012, 07:11 PM
A coach who is clueless when it comes to offense now has the task of making melo, amare, chandler and lin fit together. wow.

smith&wesson
05-25-2012, 07:15 PM
woodson deserves it.

Beltrans Mole
05-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Huge mistake

Who would you rather have? Phil Jackson is a pipe dream...

Chill_Will_24
05-25-2012, 07:23 PM
But i thought they were getting Phil Jackson!!! Every wants 2 coach at duh Mecca... End sarcasm

Jetsguy
05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
A coach who is clueless when it comes to offense now has the task of making melo, amare, chandler and lin fit together. wow.

Ya if only the Knicks had an offensive genius to make those pieces work.

/sarcasm

jericho
05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
it was a good move now he needs to hire an ofensive asst coach and let him handle that that end while he does his thing on d

justinnum1
05-25-2012, 07:30 PM
delete

LongIslandIcedZ
05-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Solid move. They played pretty well under Woodson and the offensive chemistry can only get better in time.

Dade County
05-25-2012, 08:46 PM
See you knicks in the ECF next season... Not because of the coaching hire but because of your pure talent.

But why not Larry brown or Svg or Jerry sloan? IDK

29$JerZ
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
You don't like Woodson?
Not as a Head Coach. He is a defensive assistant who is being given a HC job and has no clue how to utilize a roster.

?

I think it's a very good signing. The Knicks players respect Woodson (unlike Dantoni) and he turned the team around in the 2nd half of the season.

I think the Knicks chemistry issues have more to do with certain players than the coach at this point.

Good signing to add stability to the organization.
It's a safe move and that's the problem. With a bunch of available coaches who are clearly better than him we instead just quickly lock him up. He simply cannot make Melo/STAT/Tyson work. He is offensively challenged.

A Good defense is wasted with a horrendous offense that gives other teams most 2nd opportunities off turnovers for instance. Iso heavy ball I despise and it's no wonder why Melo wants him back so bad. Just a bad signing, at least the length isn't horrendous. No need to sign him now until you at least do your due diligence and see if SVG or Sloan is interested.

Yankee Clipper
05-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Glad to hear it. I'm excited to see the effect Woodson will have over the defense now that he has a full off season for training and preparation.

justinnum1
05-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Not as a Head Coach. He is a defensive assistant who is being given a HC job and has no clue how to utilize a roster.

It's a safe move and that's the problem. With a bunch of available coaches who are clearly better than him we instead just quickly lock him up. He simply cannot make Melo/STAT/Tyson work. He is offensively challenged. a Great defense is wasted with a horrendous offense that gives other teams most 2nd opportunities off turnovers for instance. Just a bad signing, at least the length isn't horrendous.

Totally agree

Hustla23
05-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I've seen pick up games in the ghetto that had better offensive sets than what Woodson was running against the Heat.

I seriously hope he tries to insert some type of ball movement if Lin comes back.

heyman321
05-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Should have hired SVG instead. Much better coach.

justinnum1
05-25-2012, 08:59 PM
I've seen pick up games in the ghetto that had better offensive sets than what Woodson was running against the Heat.

I seriously hope he tries to insert some type of ball movement if Lin comes back.
i got a good chuckle out of this

Should have hired SVG instead. Much better coach.

Agree, but i dont think SVG would go there.

J4KOP99
05-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Knicks fan, who else did you want? And don't say Phil Jackson...

Idk if svg would want to deal with the Knicks ownership. He has been embarressed so many times and new York, with Dolan, is a disaster waiting to happen.

Maybe jerry Sloan would have came but who knows.

Hustla23
05-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Knicks fan, who else did you want? And don't say Phil Jackson...

Idk if svg would want to deal with the Knicks ownership. He has been embarressed so many times and new York, with Dolan, is a disaster waiting to happen.

Maybe jerry Sloan would have came but who knows.
At least contacting a superior coach would have been a good idea.

I wouldn't mind the Woodson signing if literally everyone else refused to come here.

Chill_Will_24
05-25-2012, 09:19 PM
See you knicks in the ECF next season... Not because of the coaching hire but because of your pure talent.

:laugh2:

torocan
05-25-2012, 09:40 PM
PJ was never going to happen. Dolan keeps a tight policy on speaking your mind as a coach. That and he would never have given Phil the kind of control that he would want.

JVG burnt some bridges when he left NY mid season. Dolan would never bring him back out of pride. Heck, Dolan convinced Woodson to change agents because Dolan is notorious to hold grudges. That would carry over into a strike against SVG.

Aside from that, Dolan's desire for PR spin means he would never tolerate SVG or JVG candor.

Larry Brown wasn't going to happen. Larry Brown coached the Knicks before and was fired after ONE disastrous season (23-59). Also had a HUGE public dispute with Stephon Marbury.

Dolan doesn't like it when Coaches become the headline.

As for why he didn't talk with Sloan, no idea. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. It may have been his reputation for being stubborn. Or maybe he didn't want to shell out the $$$.

Woodson is a safe and inexpensive choice for Dolan. Also, Woodson was team mates with Isiah Thomas and is close with Thomas. Thomas is still very close with Dolan, so I'm not surprised they didn't put him to pasture after he put up 18-6 and the first Knicks post-season game win in 11 years.

Not the worst choice given the options and Dolan's personal tastes as an employer.

Woodson is a 100% company man and non-confrontational. His personal ties to Thomas probably helped as well. And the 18-6 + 1 playoff win was probably enough to convince Dolan it was simpler to justify giving him a shot than to give him the boot.

Either way, that's who the Knicks have and we're all just along for the ride.

Evolution23
05-25-2012, 10:12 PM
I wanted Jerry Sloan but Woodson is a good option.

justinnum1
05-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Jeremy Lin this summer will be a restricted free agent, his future has been a topic of concern to the outside world, to which Nicks general manager Grunwald in an interview also made clear that, New York will be fully behind Jeremy Lin, he hopes the latter to contract, make up suspense end.
Nicks of the season can make the dead come back to life, Jeremy Lin in the middle has played a major role, he was in February started a forest cyclone, make New York a renewed passion for basketball, let the team cohesion has been changed a lot. However, Jeremy Lin's future will remain in New York, at present unknown, earlier, the Chinese guard on the contract issue very carefully, he said everything is not fixed, refused to make any promises, this also allows outsiders interpreted as" forest have job-hopping may".
Now in the interview to Nicks, general manager Glen - Glen Ward is that New York's attitude," we will go all out to keep Jeremy Lin, also expect him to renewed success, Lin is a restricted free agent, we have no reason to let him leave? The rules are the rules, when we decide to leave him, we would have to do everything possible to."
However, New York wants to leave Jeremy Lin is not a simple matter, according to" Arenas terms" provisions of the next two years, Jeremy Lin 's contract is not high the price (5000000 and5250000), but this clause, there is a loophole, he only limit in the previous two quoted price, then this way, if a team chasing Jeremy Lin, they can be opened four years and $36000000in the previous two years, according to the rule conditions, for two years after the annual salary increase ( more than 10 million U.S. dollars ) to balance the contract salary.
According to the received information, including raptors, calf, pioneer, warriors and nets, many teams to Jeremy Lin expressed strong interest, if Nicks wants to fight for Jeremy Lin, so they in the summer also need to do more work, to defeat the competitor.
In addition, Glen Ward says coach topic, Nicks and Woodson have formally renewed, this also means that Phil - Jackson entered New York hearsay burst, and in "on this topic, Grunwald said that Nicks had never considered to find" jackson". " Jackson coach is a great coach, but we do not consider these, early on, we'll tell Mike, he is the first choice, he's done very well here."
Besides Jeremy Lin, Grunwald also need to try various devices to leaving Fields, Novak and JR- Smith, the several important role players in the summer will be a free man.
http://www.xaode.info/jpg1

paragraphs bro, paragraphs.

SportsAndrew25
05-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Funky Cold Medina!!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OP5EnaaYjQ

BK-TY
05-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Jeremy Lin this summer will be a restricted free agent, his future has been a topic of concern to the outside world, to which Nicks general manager Grunwald in an interview also made clear that, New York will be fully behind Jeremy Lin, he hopes the latter to contract, make up suspense end.
Nicks of the season can make the dead come back to life, Jeremy Lin in the middle has played a major role, he was in February started a forest cyclone, make New York a renewed passion for basketball, let the team cohesion has been changed a lot. However, Jeremy Lin's future will remain in New York, at present unknown, earlier, the Chinese guard on the contract issue very carefully, he said everything is not fixed, refused to make any promises, this also allows outsiders interpreted as" forest have job-hopping may".
Now in the interview to Nicks, general manager Glen - Glen Ward is that New York's attitude," we will go all out to keep Jeremy Lin, also expect him to renewed success, Lin is a restricted free agent, we have no reason to let him leave? The rules are the rules, when we decide to leave him, we would have to do everything possible to."
However, New York wants to leave Jeremy Lin is not a simple matter, according to" Arenas terms" provisions of the next two years, Jeremy Lin 's contract is not high the price (5000000 and5250000), but this clause, there is a loophole, he only limit in the previous two quoted price, then this way, if a team chasing Jeremy Lin, they can be opened four years and $36000000in the previous two years, according to the rule conditions, for two years after the annual salary increase ( more than 10 million U.S. dollars ) to balance the contract salary.
According to the received information, including raptors, calf, pioneer, warriors and nets, many teams to Jeremy Lin expressed strong interest, if Nicks wants to fight for Jeremy Lin, so they in the summer also need to do more work, to defeat the competitor.
In addition, Glen Ward says coach topic, Nicks and Woodson have formally renewed, this also means that Phil - Jackson entered New York hearsay burst, and in "on this topic, Grunwald said that Nicks had never considered to find" jackson". " Jackson coach is a great coach, but we do not consider these, early on, we'll tell Mike, he is the first choice, he's done very well here."
Besides Jeremy Lin, Grunwald also need to try various devices to leaving Fields, Novak and JR- Smith, the several important role players in the summer will be a free man.

English has GOT to be your second language! LOL! :rolleyes:

TFleury14
05-26-2012, 04:01 AM

THEY ARE THE NEW YORK KNICKS!!!!!!!
Also as for the underlined part, who are the Calf and Pioneer??

As far as the signing goes I think it is decent. I think Phil Jackson was a long shot as was Jerry Sloan. I wouldn't have minded SVG but I think Woodson will do good here.

knicks4life33
05-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Woodson sucks. Guy always gets bounced out in the 1st round of the playoffs while you have a hof coach in Phil Jackson we don't call. Smh

goNYgoNYgo
05-26-2012, 10:26 AM
But i thought they were getting Phil Jackson!!! Every wants 2 coach at duh Mecca... End sarcasm

actually phil jackson was upset we didn't even consider him for the job. so shut that **** up.

todu82
05-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Good pickup by the Knicks IMO. They seemed to play better under Woodson.

KnicksorBust
05-26-2012, 11:13 AM

It's a safe move and that's the problem. With a bunch of available coaches who are clearly better than him we instead just quickly lock him up. He simply cannot make Melo/STAT/Tyson work. He is offensively challenged.

A Good defense is wasted with a horrendous offense that gives other teams most 2nd opportunities off turnovers for instance. Iso heavy ball I despise and it's no wonder why Melo wants him back so bad. Just a bad signing, at least the length isn't horrendous. No need to sign him now until you at least do your due diligence and see if SVG or Sloan is interested.

He had us winning. He had Carmelo playing a superstar again. He helped mold us into a top defensive team. And he had Lin-Melo playing well together. He even coached us to steal a win from the Heat without any quality PG play.

He did everything he possibly could have to earn this contract. We weren't getting Phil Jackson and don't forget how SVG and Sloan both clashed with their stars before getting the boot. I don't want either one of those egos around Melo and Amar'e.

nate2usmc
05-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Hahaha that would be my dream (as of right now. Grasping for straws)

nate2usmc
05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Woodson sucks. Guy always gets bounced out in the 1st round of the playoffs while you have a hof coach in Phil Jackson we don't call. Smh

Atleast the Knicks makin the playoffs consistently is an improvement over the last decade no? :shrug: