PDA

View Full Version : Cooper, Igarashi Called Up

bomber0104
05-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi

Blue Jays put Ben Francisco on DL, option Evan Crawford to Vegas. Up: 1B David Cooper, RHP Ryota Igarashi, who's been 95-96, topping at 98

I'm fricken psyched.. i get both my wished in 1 day

BlueJaysFan
05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
I guess I will copy my post over to here.

Mike Cormack‏@MikeCormack

#bluejays place Ben Francisco on the 15-day DL, send LHP Evan Crawford to Las Vegas, recall David 1B Cooper & RHP Ryota Igarashi.

Interesting

Barry Davis‏@SNBarryDavis

To make room on the 40-man roster for Igarashi the #bluejays have transferred DUSTIN McGOWAN to the 60-day disabled list.

Mike Wilner‏@Wilnerness590

Igarashi has a 0.62 WHIP in 21 IP at Vegas, 28Ks, 3 BB. Last year had 0.78 WHIP in 39IP at AAA. Career 1.71 WHIP in bigs. #Bluejays #jays

Shi Davidi‏@ShiDavidi

Blue Jays put Ben Francisco on DL, option Evan Crawford to Vegas. Up: 1B David Cooper, RHP Ryota Igarashi, who's been 95-96, topping at 98

Mike Cormack‏@MikeCormack

Francisco's injury is "hamstring strain." Vegas manager Marty Brown told @shidavidi Igarashi had been "throwing the hell out of the ball."

Dol-Fan
05-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I've caught Igarashi several times watching the Vegas games on MiLB.tv. The guy throws gas and has some really nice stuff. I'm excited to see him pitch in the bigs.

Cooper's bat will play well in Texas with how well the ball carries. Could see him smacking a few doubles this weekend.

Toxeryll
05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
about ****ing time.. im excited to see cooper again, hopefully he sparks our offense

KaiserSose
05-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for coming out this year Dustin!

aman_13
05-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Igarashi will be interesting to watch. We need these type of arms to win in this division.

KaiserSose
05-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590

Dustin McGowan was moved to the 60-day disabled list to make room for Igarashi on #Bluejays 40-man roster, so Lind stays on the 40. #jays

I thought he was day-to-day with a minor foot problem back in spring training? What a joke this has become. Money well spent Alex, money well spent. At least you are "classy".

Twitchy
05-25-2012, 01:08 PM
It's a sad and slow news day when David Cooper gets Jays fans excited.

Dol-Fan
05-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Dustin McGowan was moved to the 60-day disabled list to make room for Igarashi on #Bluejays 40-man roster, so Lind stays on the 40. #jays

I thought he was day-to-day with a minor foot problem back in spring training? What a joke this has become. Money well spent Alex, money well spent. At least you are "classy".

I hear that having Dustin McGowan on the roster gets the rest of the Jays a substantial discount on appointments with Dr. James Andrews. That could explain the contract extension.

2009mvp
05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
LOL Mcgowan. Brilliant stuff AA.

LuckyLuke2
05-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I knew McGowan was gonna be done. Stupid signing by AA and I called it when he did it.

I also called Crawford being sent down, Igarashi has stellar numbers this season with AAA and I am looking forward to seeing him pitch.

2009mvp
05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
While we're at it, Francisco's looking like a pretty terrible acquisition too. The question was asked since he made the team what exactly his role was and two months later there still isn't a clear answer.

Dol-Fan
05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I knew McGowan was gonna be done. Stupid signing by AA and I called it when he did it.

I also called Crawford being sent down, Igarashi has stellar numbers this season with AAA and I am looking forward to seeing him pitch.

Nostradamus right here. Can you tell me when my next bowel movement will come?

treeleaf
05-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Ok so what will our lineup look like?

I take it gomes and cooper will platoon 1b while enc stays at dh while getting a few reps at the 1b just to keep his feet wet.

Dol-Fan
05-25-2012, 01:27 PM
While we're at it, Francisco's looking like a pretty terrible acquisition too. The question was asked since he made the team what exactly his role was and two months later there still isn't a clear answer.

Eh, we traded Frank Gailey for him. He hasn't helped but it wasn't a terrible acquisition given that we gave up nothing and our two potential starters in LF are horrid vs. LHP.

2009mvp
05-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Eh, we traded Frank Gailey for him. He hasn't helped but it wasn't a terrible acquisition given that we gave up nothing and our two potential starters in LF are horrid vs. LHP.

The cost is $1M+ and more importantly a roster spot that could have been taken by someone who could actually hit lefties well. The plan was obviously to platoon Rajai/Thames from the outset, so why is Vladdy a good idea now but not two months ago? I'm not saying Vladdy was/is the answer, but if all you needed was a cheap bat who could do some damage against lefties it was not hard to do better than Francisco. If he had any defensive role it would be different, but the guy's played 7 innings in the OF up to this point.

Dol-Fan
05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
The cost is $1M+ and more importantly a roster spot that could have been taken by someone who could actually hit lefties well. The plan was obviously to platoon Rajai/Thames from the outset, so why is Vladdy a good idea now but not two months ago? I'm not saying Vladdy was/is the answer, but if all you needed was a cheap bat who could do some damage against lefties it was not hard to do better than Francisco. If he had any defensive role it would be different, but the guy's played 7 innings in the OF up to this point.

I'm not disagreeing by any means. I just can't classify it as 'terrible' when the ramifications were rather mild. I think AA wanted a younger option and decided to see what Francisco could offer. When the answer was 'nothing' he turned to Vladdy. I agree that it would have been more sensible had Ben played any time in the OF, but I think that is more on Farrell than AA. AA doesn't strike me as the type to dictate the way players are used.

LuckyLuke2
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Yeah he's bad. I never liked him as a player much and he's done absolutely nothing this year.

He had OK seasons stat wise with cleveland and philly but he looked bad. He should be gone after this year hopefully.

LuckyLuke2
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Nostradamus right here. Can you tell me when my next bowel movement will come?

Certainly.

Lol I didn't mean to sound conceeded, I just didn't like when AA signed McGowan to the extension, and I also didn't like Crawford as an option out of the pen. I prefer Igarashi now.

2009mvp
05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone know what the rules are as to how long McGowan has to stay on the DL now? I'm assuming they can't make it retroactive all the way through the season, in which case Dusty would already be right around 60 days. Does this mean he's out 60 days from today (which realistically probably means another lost season) or is he eligible to return sooner?

bartron_44
05-25-2012, 02:14 PM

They did try 2 months ago....

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120516&content_id=31427064&vkey=news_tor&c_id=tor

"As it turns out, however, this opportunity actually presented itself twice.

The Blue Jays reached out to the 37-year-old's former representatives at SFX Baseball during Spring Training, but Guerrero said he never heard about that offer. He left SFX for Proformance representatives Ventura and Bean Stringfellow, who relayed another offer from Toronto. Guerrero jumped at the chance, just as he would have the first time around."

Twitchy
05-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Is Cooper hitting 177/.271/.210 outside of Vegas? Please tell me that's a joke. I get small sample size and all...but that's brutal.

treeleaf
05-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Is Cooper hitting 177/.271/.210 outside of Vegas? Please tell me that's a joke. I get small sample size and all...but that's brutal.

Yeah but hes broaching on snider territory where he cant really prove too much more at the AAA level.

MrForever
05-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Dustin McGowan is literally made of uncooked spaghetti. Incredible.

Twitchy
05-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah but hes broaching on snider territory where he cant really prove too much more at the AAA level.

Actually, I meant the opposite of what you said. Cooper hasn't proved he can hit AAA this season.

Dol-Fan
05-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Actually, I meant the opposite of what you said. Cooper hasn't proved he can hit AAA this season.

In addition to the terrible road line, he's hit all 6 HRs at home. I've watched several LV games this year and have come away thoroughly unimpressed with Cooper. That being said, I think he can have marginal success in hitter friendly parks where the ball really flies, so I could see him being OK against Texas this weekend.

The HRs he hits are garbage, though. Most would be FBs at other parks. I've seen Hech hit more powerful shots than Cooper this year.

Krylian
05-25-2012, 03:14 PM

The foot problem was minor, but pitching through the discomfort caused him to inadvertently change his arm slot and that created some strain in his shoulder. And because of his history the team is extra cautious with him and shut him down to rest it. Anyone else and they would've been more aggressive with rehab but they won't want to take any chances.

As for being moving to the 60 day...it's just to make room for Igarashi. McGowan was placed on the DL in late March if I'm not mistaken so he's been on the DL for just about 60 days anyway. It changes nothing...just administrative.

You're getting angry about something that makes ZERO difference.

Krylian
05-25-2012, 03:15 PM

What in god's name are you talking about. Moving McGowan to the 60 is administrative to make room for Igarashi. McGowan has already been DL'd for 60 days or so. There is no new injury associated with this.

Have a clue what you're talking about.

Krylian
05-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Dustin McGowan is literally made of uncooked spaghetti. Incredible.

Do some research.

Bob_at_york
05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Igarashi could be an interesting pitcher out of the pen. Cooper... meh.

bartron_44
05-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Interesting that its Cooper and not Lind.....They said they wanted to see Lind drive the ball....and he has 7 hits over his first 5 games with 3 HR's and a double to go with 4 walks. How long does he have to mash for before they bring him back?

2009mvp
05-25-2012, 03:38 PM
^^What could have possibly changed within a week that would justify Lind coming back up that quickly?

LuckyLuke2
05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
What in god's name are you talking about. Moving McGowan to the 60 is administrative to make room for Igarashi. McGowan has already been DL'd for 60 days or so. There is no new injury associated with this.

Have a clue what you're talking about.

Ayy Ayy Ayy no need to get hasty.

My mistake I wasn't fully aware that he was just placed on there to make room for Igarashi. Relax Betty White.

LuckyLuke2
05-25-2012, 03:41 PM
^^What could have possibly changed within a week that would justify Lind coming back up that quickly?

Agreed. Why would they send Lind down and a week later call him back up? Makes no sense.

wagnall
05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing Igarashi, would be nice to see 1 of our relievers top 92 and have control. If he's hitting 98, can't remember last Jays reliever in long time with that velocity.
As for Cooper, has to be a last chance showing. Maybe someone is interested and they want to show him off? Nothing more to prove at AAA.

mtf
05-25-2012, 04:12 PM
2 nobody's out of the line-up, 2 more nobody's moved in to replace them. Time to get excited.

Bob_at_york
05-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Interesting that its Cooper and not Lind.....They said they wanted to see Lind drive the ball....and he has 7 hits over his first 5 games with 3 HR's and a double to go with 4 walks. How long does he have to mash for before they bring him back?

I believe when he was sent down, I read somewhere that they can't call him back up for some pre-determined amount of time. Might have been two weeks.

alistar
05-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Obviously more than 5 games. You don't fix almost 2 years of batting mechanics in less than a week.

wamco
05-25-2012, 04:47 PM

vlad is going to cost more than abreu, why sign vlad? Still boggles me.

1hardcore
05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Wooohoooo!!! Can't wait :)

In all seriousness... Macgowen needs to retire

bomber0104
05-25-2012, 04:55 PM
for ****s sake why couldn't we just call snider up when he was healthy and dumped Ben from the start..

Cooper isn't gonna help much

bomber0104
05-25-2012, 04:57 PM
vlad is going to cost more than abreu, why sign vlad? Still boggles me.

Abreu has no power

town123
05-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Finally Cooper is up. I think he has spent the first part of the year trying to smack homers, which would increase his value, but since he's not a major power guy this approach as not done him well. If he can just swing that sweet bat of his for contact I'll be excited to see him prove himself. Go Coop.... jink those doublays!

TRIUMPHATOR
05-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Did you know the Lieter and and Carpenter were done as well?

AA took a shot and to this point it hasn't worked.

How much heat would AA have taken if Dustin signed the same deal elsewhere and succeeded? High risk, medium-to high potential move....has not worked. Oh well.

mtf
05-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Did you know the Lieter and and Carpenter were done as well?

AA took a shot and to this point it hasn't worked.

How much heat would AA have taken if Dustin signed the same deal elsewhere and succeeded? High risk, medium-to high potential move....has not worked. Oh well.

People in Toronto are no longer baseball fans, they're accounting fans. Each dollar spent by a multi-billion dollar corporation is scrutinized to the nth degree.

This is why the mere mention of acquiring a player who makes more than $10M a year is talked about as an enormous risk, rather than an enormous opportunity to see a better baseball game being played, and a better chance at making the playoffs.

treeleaf
05-25-2012, 07:21 PM
You dont swim 3/4 across the lake, get tierd, and swim back.

We have put alot of stake in mcgowan over the years, and im sure the team would like to see some fruit of their labour one day.

es0terik
05-25-2012, 07:44 PM
It's a sad and slow news day when David Cooper gets Jays fans excited.

:hi5:

Krylian
05-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Ayy Ayy Ayy no need to get hasty.

My mistake I wasn't fully aware that he was just placed on there to make room for Igarashi. Relax Betty White.

Apologies.

My frustration was not directly pointed at you. Just people going off on McGowan constantly whether it's warranted or not.

I'm frustrated with his injuries too...but there's nothing in todays roster move to suggest things are worse yet a third of the people out there are all up in arms and are ready to send him to the glue factory based on what happened today, which is nothing.

TO Rapz
05-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I really think the McGowan signing was solid and shouldn't be scrutinized. Teams should make their LIVINGS based on low risk-high reward signings, and since Chris Carpenter happened, you have to give Dustin a chance.

Toxeryll
05-26-2012, 01:02 AM

ya SSS.

he hit .352/.428/.490 outside of vegas last year.

wamco
05-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Abreu has no power

so, he has an 897 ops since playing for the dodgers

craigerlee
05-26-2012, 10:08 AM

I'm not disagreeing by any means. I just can't classify it as 'terrible' when the ramifications were rather mild. I think AA wanted a younger option and decided to see what Francisco could offer. When the answer was 'nothing' he turned to Vladdy. I agree that it would have been more sensible had Ben played any time in the OF, but I think that is more on Farrell than AA. AA doesn't strike me as the type to dictate the way players are used.

I honestly don't think Ben Francisco is all that bad, they just don't give him any chance to play, and I'm certain he couldn't be any worse in LF than Thames is right now. Farrell should of given him a hell of lot more PA's than 37 considering Rajai Davis has 61. Look at Francisco's line drive % its 31%, this guy has been hitting the ball alright just right at people for the most part like Rasmus. I think he'd be a fine bench bat/platoon bat had we given him the AB's over Davis.

Anyone know what the rules are as to how long McGowan has to stay on the DL now? I'm assuming they can't make it retroactive all the way through the season, in which case Dusty would already be right around 60 days. Does this mean he's out 60 days from today (which realistically probably means another lost season) or is he eligible to return sooner?

I think the rule is you can back date it 10 days. So I'm pretty sure he's spending at least 50 days on it.

Dol-Fan
05-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I honestly don't think Ben Francisco is all that bad, they just don't give him any chance to play, and I'm certain he couldn't be any worse in LF than Thames is right now. Farrell should of given him a hell of lot more PA's than 37 considering Rajai Davis has 61. Look at Francisco's line drive % its 31%, this guy has been hitting the ball alright just right at people for the most part like Rasmus. I think he'd be a fine bench bat/platoon bat had we given him the AB's over Davis.

I think the rule is you can back date it 10 days. So I'm pretty sure he's spending at least 50 days on it.

Yeah sorry I don't mean that Francisco has been horrible. He just hasn't offered anything (and I tried to explain in the last line of my post that it's on Farrell for poor use of the guy)

2009mvp
05-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Well if you look at their careers Rajai and Francisco have pretty similar slash lines against LHP (I think Rajai's is actually better, but don't take my word on that). Throw in the defensive edge, the speed, and positional flexibility and Rajai is the easy choice for 4th outfielder. There isn't and never was a need for a 5th outfielder, especially one with no defensive value who excels at nothing.

Dol-Fan
05-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Well if you look at their careers Rajai and Francisco have pretty similar slash lines against LHP (I think Rajai's is actually better, but don't take my word on that). Throw in the defensive edge, the speed, and positional flexibility and Rajai is the easy choice for 4th outfielder. There isn't and never was a need for a 5th outfielder, especially one with no defensive value who excels at nothing.

They are very similar, Rajai I think a few points better vs. LHP. Ben doesn't have significant splits, about .750 OPS against both RHP and LHP. I don't have a problem with an extra bench bat that you can (sort of) depend on in all situations.

LuckyLuke2
05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Apologies.

My frustration was not directly pointed at you. Just people going off on McGowan constantly whether it's warranted or not.

I'm frustrated with his injuries too...but there's nothing in todays roster move to suggest things are worse yet a third of the people out there are all up in arms and are ready to send him to the glue factory based on what happened today, which is nothing.

No I know I know. I saw that people ahead of my post were commenting on it as well.

I actually wasn't aware at first that the Igarashi call up and McGowan being transfered to the 60 day DL was the reason why, until you told me haha.

Either way it's frustrating but still hopeful he can return this year.

LuckyLuke2
05-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Davis has been good this year as the 4th OF and he deserves a spot over Francisco no doubt.

Francisco was just brought in for depth mostly at the LF position I would think because of the uncertainty with Thames and Snider and who would perform better.

craigerlee
05-26-2012, 11:59 AM

I agree with this, but I think he could of been a hell of lot more valuable had we used him more. I think the miss use of Francisco by Farrell and overuse of Davis is worst than the acquisition by AA. He'd likely be as good as Thames defensively and would probably of hit better than Thames. He would of easily been a better option than Lind. I think if they would DH'd Lind more often it would of definitely given them more opportunities to use Francisco and I think he would of been a hell of lot better than he is right now.

nithanyo
05-26-2012, 12:42 PM

This.
i never found the need for a 5th outfielder.

1 backup catcher, a backup infielder and a backup outfielder are enough. The 4th spot can be used for a power bat off the bench or an extra reliever.

craigerlee
05-26-2012, 01:03 PM
This.

1 backup catcher, a backup infielder and a backup outfielder are enough. The 4th spot can be used for a power bat off the bench or an extra reliever.

8 relievers is never the right move, it just encourages the underuse of your best relievers.

wagnall
05-26-2012, 01:10 PM
This.

This........why was EE shagging fly balls in LF this ST. And apparantly did okay. If we needed a "5th Of'er" it could have been him. Remember that at the start Lind was at 1st and EE was the DH/super utility guy. In an emergency only, EE could have gone to LF and the best hitter on the bench could have taken over DH.
Now that that plan has gone to ****... sorry got nothin! :)

7 relievers is enough however..JIMHO