PDA

View Full Version : Are the Indiana Pacers going to be a contender next season?

Fresno
05-25-2012, 01:29 AM
They pushed the Miami Heat for the first 4 games before Wade took over and basically crushed their dreams of an upset.

But, I'm looking at their roster for next season.

PG- Darren Collison
SG- Paul George(Future star player)
SF- Danny Granger
PF- David West
C- Roy Hibbert (Restricted Free Agent)

6th Man- George Hill (Restricted Free Agent)
Tyler Hansbrough
Dahntay Jones

Anyways, they're going to have $14 Million in cap space this summer to go after players in Free Agency or via Trade. Specifically hometown kid Eric Gordon who wants a contract similar to Westbrook/Love starting at around $14 Million per year.

They could bring everybody back from a #3 seed team this season + add another All Star.

What do you think of their future?

72 Wins
05-25-2012, 01:33 AM
They got too many dudes who love going 1 on 1 and shooting from the perimeter. I can't see this team getting far. GOOD.. but not good enough.

Punk
05-25-2012, 01:43 AM
They won't be any better than they are this season. Let's be honest, they wouldn't beat a healthy Orlando team. They have a good future but they just be a playoff team much like Atlanta/Philly. Nothing more.

Hibbert will get a 50 million dollar offer. They will match and probably ruin any chances at adding Gordon without a trade.

Fresno
05-25-2012, 01:45 AM
They got too many dudes who love going 1 on 1 and shooting from the perimeter. I can't see this team getting far. GOOD.. but not good enough.

That sounds a lot like the Bulls problem.

I think a scorer like Eric Gordon stepping into that lineup with Danny Granger maybe moving into a 6th Man role might allow them to compete with Miami next season.

marvILLous
05-25-2012, 01:46 AM
This team lacks star power.. They need a real number option who can be a leader through performance. Good playoff team but not a contender atm

Gonna need to make some moves or sign someone big

Sadds The Gr8
05-25-2012, 01:47 AM
They'll be another Atlanta IMO. Perennial playoff team, and get knocked out the the 1st or 2nd round depending on matchup

kozelkid
05-25-2012, 01:48 AM

I think a scorer like Eric Gordon stepping into that lineup with Danny Granger maybe moving into a 6th Man role might allow them to compete with Miami next season.

They're not getting EJ.

Regardless, they're one perimeter star away. Nash would be an awesome addition and make them a contender. In fact, he's exactly what they're missing: an experienced perimeter player who can control an inexperienced team in crucial junctures during the game. Indiana, like many young teams, is too helter skelter.

JeffG20
05-25-2012, 01:49 AM

if they get Gordon they'd most certainly have to trade us Granger. he's restricted anyway so its not like he can just sign there

Fresno
05-25-2012, 01:49 AM
They won't be any better than they are this season. Let's be honest, they wouldn't beat a healthy Orlando team. They have a good future but they just be a playoff team much like Atlanta/Philly. Nothing more.

Hibbert will get a 50 million dollar offer. They will match and probably ruin any chances at adding Gordon without a trade.
Not the case.

They actually have about $24 Million in Cap Space total but they've got $10 Million combined in Cap Holds so that Hibbert and Hill remain Restricted Free Agents.

Translation: They've got $14 Million to spend before they have to match a contract for Roy Hibbert or George Hill.

llemon
05-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Too many unknown factors to make a call.

MetroMan
05-25-2012, 01:54 AM
They shouldnt have gotten out of the first round

Dade County
05-25-2012, 01:55 AM
They'll be another Atlanta IMO. Perrennial playoff team, and get knocked out the the 1st or 2nd round depending on matchup

This ...

pacers need a star player and a very good number two option ( they need to shack that team up ).

I really can't see them going to the finals in the near future, but they can give a eastern conference team a run for their money.

Fresno
05-25-2012, 02:01 AM
if they get Gordon they'd most certainly have to trade us Granger. he's restricted anyway so its not like he can just sign there

The starting Max salary for Eric Gordon would be at $12,922,194. Indiana can give him a Max offer sheet and force New Orleans to match it or lose Gordon. Yes, he'll sign that deal because its the most he can get.

Gordon wants to be paid on par with Russell Westbrook & Kevin Love and New Orleans wasn't offering him an extension worth as much because they have concerns about his health. Tom Benson put Saints GM Mickey Loomis in charge of Basketball Operations. If he's undervaluing Drew Brees for the Saints, what do you think hes going to do with a basketball player who played less than 20 games? :eyebrow:

Also, The Hornets can't receive Granger via trade. Under the new CBA, no player compensation can be received via trade for a Restricted Free Agent. Only Unresricted Free Agents can be traded for another player. (ex; Big Baby for Brandon Bass)

Becks2307
05-25-2012, 02:05 AM
they need to dump granger imo, get a real legit number one scorer, that used to be granger about 3/4 years ago

Fresno
05-25-2012, 02:07 AM
They're not getting EJ.

Regardless, they're one perimeter star away. Nash would be an awesome addition and make them a contender. In fact, he's exactly what they're missing: an experienced perimeter player who can control an inexperienced team in crucial junctures during the game. Indiana, like many young teams, is too helter skelter.

They're going to go after Gordon, first. If New Orleans matches and brings him back then its nothing they can do about it.

Steve Nash makes a lot of sense as a playmaker for that offense. I suggested they should trade for him mid-season when they were having success. He is guaranteed to create open opportunities for George, Granger, West, & Hibbert and their numbers will go up with him playing PG.

Silent
05-25-2012, 02:10 AM
There Pretenders

JeffG20
05-25-2012, 02:11 AM
The starting Max salary for Eric Gordon would be at $12,922,194. Indiana can give him a Max offer sheet and force New Orleans to match it or lose Gordon. Yes, he'll sign that deal because its the most he can get.

Gordon wants to be paid on par with Russell Westbrook & Kevin Love and New Orleans wasn't offering him an extension worth as much because they have concerns about his health. Tom Benson put Saints GM Mickey Loomis in charge of Basketball Operations. If he's undervaluing Drew Brees for the Saints, what do you think hes going to do with a basketball player who played less than 20 games? :eyebrow:

Also, The Hornets can't receive Granger via trade. Under the new CBA, no player compensation can be received via trade for a Restricted Free Agent. Only Unresricted Free Agents can be traded for another player. (ex; Big Baby for Brandon Bass)

he doesnt undervalue Brees, he is just not going to write him a blank check, which any smart owner wouldnt do either. you dont have millions by just giving people blank checks.

Benson has made it clear he'll spend the money if its a good basketball decision. yes he put loomis in charge but he trust Demps to make the moves. Benson is smart and he's going to leave the people that know basketball make the decisions.... they'll just have to clear it with loomis.

i dont think it will be as easy as you think to get Gordon. i'm 80% positive they will match any offer

kozelkid
05-25-2012, 02:21 AM
They're going to go after Gordon, first. If New Orleans matches and brings him back then its nothing they can do about it.

Steve Nash makes a lot of sense as a playmaker for that offense. I suggested they should trade for him mid-season when they were having success. He is guaranteed to create open opportunities for George, Granger, West, & Hibbert and their numbers will go up with him playing PG.

I promise you that they will match any offer EJ gets, as they should. Hell, as a Bulls fan, I'd give my left nut to have him on my team.

Bishnoff
05-25-2012, 02:21 AM
they need to dump granger imo, get a real legit number one scorer, that used to be granger about 3/4 years ago

This.

Fresno
05-25-2012, 02:24 AM
he doesnt undervalue Brees, he is just not going to write him a blank check, which any smart owner wouldnt do either. you dont have millions by just giving people blank checks.
Brees just wants to be paid on par with the top QB's in the league, yet they're still bickering over a few million. I just think Loomis is undervaluing him by thinking that Brees needs to keep proving himself because he doesn't trust him to be as productive over the next 4-5 years.

Benson has made it clear he'll spend the money if its a good basketball decision. yes he put loomis in charge but he trust Demps to make the moves. Benson is smart and he's going to leave the people that know basketball make the decisions.... they'll just have to clear it with loomis.

i dont think it will be as easy as you think to get Gordon. i'm 80% positive they will match any offer

We'll see what they do.

I think they'll end up matching Gordon's offer sheet but definetly after much debate of whether they feel its worth the risk due to his injury concerns.

Its always interesting when people with no NBA background take over a Franchise. You never know how they might think of their team.

DasBoot
05-25-2012, 02:27 AM
not trying to sound like a homer but with a healthy Knicks team and the Bulls without Rose (Amare and Lin) - the Knicks are the #2 team

kozelkid
05-25-2012, 02:29 AM
not trying to sound like a homer but with a healthy Knicks team and the Bulls without Rose (Amare and Lin) - the Knicks are the #2 team

They really aren't.

Baller1
05-25-2012, 02:29 AM
With the right piece, yes. As is, no.

Baller1
05-25-2012, 02:30 AM

No.

torocan
05-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Playoff contender? Yes.

Championship contender? Not without some serious upgrades.

The Pacers need to decide what kind of team they want to be and start working out some critical pieces. Do they want to go Big? Athletic? Speed ball? Half court?

Right now, they're a poor man's Spurs, without the great outside shooting, superstar PG, and go to Scoring. And that's not going to get them anywhere near a championship with the likes of the Bulls, Miami, OKC and the Real Spurs out there.

TrueFan420
05-25-2012, 02:57 AM
They need to trade granger mover George to sf upgrade pg and sg

Cfrey
05-25-2012, 03:00 AM
no.. and you want to know why? we haven't even seen the best of lebron james yet

ThunderousDemon
05-25-2012, 03:21 AM
lol :speechless::faint:

Sadds The Gr8
05-25-2012, 03:22 AM
:laugh2: that gif is gr8

ThunderousDemon
05-25-2012, 03:34 AM
Hey mods when are you planning to fix this^

lygzs
05-25-2012, 03:42 AM
oh no

Evolution23
05-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Roy Hibert needs to get more agressive because he has all the talent in the world.

DaLyingofJungl3
05-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Roy Hibert needs to get more aggressive because he has all the talent in the world.

they need to give him the ball more & Hibbert needs to improve offensively

this is a good season for Pacers:
-3rd Seed in Eastern Conference
-Pass RD1 in the playoffs
-Top 10 Defensive Team in the Reg NBA Season

Colts2180
05-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Funny how fans of inferior teams are talking about how we are like ATL after ONE playoff run lolol. Facing the super team in Miami and giving them the fight of there life. We are young(George 22, Hibbert 25, Hill 25, DC 24) guys are only going to improve. Namely George that may very well be a star in the future. We also have a 7mil contract in Barbosa thats going to be up to add to our cap space along with a option year for Jones I think. We will go after a pg before Gordon, like D Williams. If we got him then the league better watch out because we have no weakness all of the sudden. Our passing is our biggest problem. We dont get easy shots and we turn the ball over to much because of the lack luster passing. We get a scorer like Williams and his amazing passing ability and we will be set.

flatbush knicks
05-25-2012, 04:21 AM
lol dwill isn't going to the pacers lmao

Cfrey
05-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Funny how fans of inferior teams are talking about how we are like ATL after ONE playoff run lolol. Facing the super team in Miami and giving them the fight of there life. We are young(George 22, Hibbert 25, Hill 25, DC 24) guys are only going to improve. Namely George that may very well be a star in the future. We also have a 7mil contract in Barbosa thats going to be up to add to our cap space along with a option year for Jones I think. We will go after a pg before Gordon, like D Williams. If we got him then the league better watch out because we have no weakness all of the sudden. Our passing is our biggest problem. We dont get easy shots and we turn the ball over to much because of the lack luster passing. We get a scorer like Williams and his amazing passing ability and we will be set.

the fight of their life? LOL ya okay

LTBaByyy
05-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Collison
Gordon
George
West
Hibbert

Needs to be their team

Whomewhome
05-25-2012, 05:38 AM
This team lacks star power.. They need a real number option who can be a leader through performance. Good playoff team but not a contender atm

Gonna need to make some moves or sign someone big
I don't think they need star power. Detroit Pistons proved that when they won.

They can be the hard working blue colored team that everyone adores/hates

Fresno
05-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Oh my God at that GIF.

chi-townlove1
05-25-2012, 09:06 AM
IMO to everyone saying they need a star, I disagree. 2 maybe 3 more years and Paul George is on the level of Carmelo. Danny granger is already as semi star talent and they have no room for bringing in a big time current star. Let these guys develop and in a few years they will be better than Miami and Chicago.

Fnom11
05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I think they should try to get Deron Williams. Their PG position is their only flaw at the moment. Hill/Collison are okay but they don't run the offense to it's fullest potential.

Jumi
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
They're young so I believe they should get better. This was a good season for them. Every team has growing pains so there's no need to do anything drastic just yet. They won't get high profile free agents so I would go after Kidd to help mentor the younger PG's, get Bird to give his buddy McHale a call to help Hibbert's game. As a matter of fact this team will go as far as Hibbert will take them. I don't see any other major changes necessary at this point. It takes alot to win a title. If something is obivously needed by the trade deadline next season then you make a move. Eric Gordon would be a mistake in my opinon unless you could trade Granger to NO for him. Other than that, keep Granger. They all didn't perform up to their level in the playoffs. That's why it's called "growing pains!"

BTW, ATL shouldn't be first round exit material at this point! They are a disappointment!!

Fnom11
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
IMO to everyone saying they need a star, I disagree. 2 maybe 3 more years and Paul George is on the level of Carmelo. Danny granger is already as semi star talent and they have no room for bringing in a big time current star. Let these guys develop and in a few years they will be better than Miami and Chicago.

I'm a big Paul George fan but wtf is wrong with you? As good as Melo?

SouthSideRookie
05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
they need to give him the ball more & Hibbert needs to improve offensively

this is a good season for Pacers:
-3rd Seed in Eastern Conference
-Pass RD1 in the playoffs
-Top 10 Defensive Team in the Reg NBA Season

It's not hard to end as a third seed in the eastern conference. No Dwight and no Bosh in the second round in the playoffs.

Consider yourself fortunate that the Heat didn't take the Pacers serious until after game three and you won two games in the series and this WITHOUT BOSH and the Heat not having a good bench. So much for all the talk about the Pacers being deep and having a great defense, they were shredded by Lebron and Wade after Granger woke him up from his mini hibernation.

nycericanguy
05-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Granger has been regressing every year. He talks a good game, but he's not a legit #1 option if you want to be a contender.

IND really disappointed after game 3, MIA just rolled over them even without Bosh.

I will say Deron Williams would look great in IND, too bad he's too caught up in "big markets"... because that team with Dwil would be a real threat for many years

Dwil
George
Granger
West
hibbert

marvILLous
05-25-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't think they need star power. Detroit Pistons proved that when they won.

They can be the hard working blue colored team that everyone adores/hates

No.. This team is nothing like the 04 pistons.. The pistons had real leaders and clutch performers.. The pacers.. Not so much

chi-townlove1
05-25-2012, 12:01 PM

I'm a big Paul George fan but wtf is wrong with you? As good as Melo?

Yes as good as melo. Book it. Your lucky I didn't say Lebron or Durant. This kids defense will be as good as Lebron, offense as good as melo, and the height of a power forward. Have fun contesting that

Ezio
05-25-2012, 12:19 PM
George as good offensively as Melo :facepalm:
He hasn't even shown glimpses of that.

They need to sign Nash.

sep11ie
05-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Actually I think the Pacers need to make some moves. Trade Granger, move George to the 3, etc.

gbrl
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Granger has been regressing every year. He talks a good game, but he's not a legit #1 option if you want to be a contender.

IND really disappointed after game 3, MIA just rolled over them even without Bosh.

I will say Deron Williams would look great in IND, too bad he's too caught up in "big markets"... because that team with Dwil would be a real threat for many years

Dwil
George
Granger
West
hibbert

agree with everything

Chronz
05-25-2012, 01:04 PM
They just need Eric Gordon, and to get rid of Granger. That will give them a nice balance at every position.

nycericanguy
05-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Dwil would be so much better for them than Gordon IMO.

Gordon is undersized, and has averaged only 42 games played per year the past 3 years. Big injury concern. Dwil can get you the same 20-22ppg and still create for others. Would also make Hill or Collison expendable for even more depth.

I'm a knick fan, but i actually wish Dwil would sign there, that would be a very good team to watch.

Iron24th
05-25-2012, 01:13 PM
they'll be another atlanta imo. Perennial playoff team, and get knocked out the the 1st or 2nd round depending on matchup

+1

topdog
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
1. They need to work on "championship level passing" especially rotating the ball for easy post feeds - Hibbert couldn't get his hands on the ball

2. Replacing Granger with Gordon could be helpful, I'm not sure who else you would target if you go the replacement route

3. Barbosa should not be re-signed. Upgrade to Courtney Lee or perhaps O.J. Mayo and trade Amundsun in for someone athletic and coordinated.

flatbush knicks
05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
they need to go after josh smith or maybe trade for joe johnson and keep the team they got

topdog
05-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Way to make friends. Insulting other teams and their fans doesn't help yours. Atlanta is a very good team and it's a compliment to place the Pacers on par with them.

Anyway, the Pacers are a promising team but have some chinks in the armor that need patching. They also really need "entry pass bootcamp" or shouldn't bother to re-sign Hibbert. Larry Bird is my homie though for picking up Hibs, Collison and George.

Sadds The Gr8
05-25-2012, 01:45 PM

yea, ATL was in the same boat 4-5 years ago and never got to championship status. J.Smith, Horford were like George's age, and Joe was younger than Granger. You could argue that Hawks team had more upside. you need a superstar to take that next step and become a finals contender. The Hawks and Pacers don't have that.

BobbyHillSwag
05-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes as good as melo. Book it. Your lucky I didn't say Lebron or Durant. This kids defense will be as good as Lebron, offense as good as melo, and the height of a power forward. Have fun contesting that

dude you must be on dat crack rock, george isnt close to melo and from what ive seen, wont ever be a second option on any team

2-ONE-5
05-25-2012, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=Fresno;22302370]They pushed the Miami Heat for the first 4 games before Wade took over and basically crushed their dreams of an upset.

PG- Darren Collison
SF- Danny Granger
PF- David West

Tyler Hansbrough
Dahntay Jones

what makes Paul George a future star player, bcuz hes 6'10?

anyway they arent going to sign a star. they need bench help and a pass first point guard who can runt he offense

smith&wesson
05-25-2012, 02:27 PM
They pushed the Miami Heat for the first 4 games before Wade took over and basically crushed their dreams of an upset.

PG- Darren Collison
SF- Danny Granger
PF- David West

Tyler Hansbrough
Dahntay Jones

Anyways, they're going to have $14 Million in cap space this summer to go after players in Free Agency or via Trade. Specifically hometown kid Eric Gordon who wants a contract similar to Westbrook/Love starting at around $14 Million per year.

They could bring everybody back from a #3 seed team this season + add another All Star.

What do you think of their future?

if they are smart they will go after steve nash in free agency.

nash/collison
george/hill
granger/jones
west
hibbert/hansbrough

i think that would put them right in the mix with the contenders.

king4day
05-25-2012, 02:31 PM
If they can snag Gordon, it'd allow them to trade for other pieces. I think in that case they can be elite. Otherwise, we've probably seen them peak. 2nd round at best.

Mosesmoreno#1
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=Fresno;22302370]They pushed the Miami Heat for the first 4 games before Wade took over and basically crushed their dreams of an upset.

PG- Darren Collison
SF- Danny Granger
PF- David West

Tyler Hansbrough
Dahntay Jones

what makes Paul George a future star player, bcuz hes 6'10?

anyway they arent going to sign a star. they need bench help and a pass first point guard who can runt he offense

Bring back the Paul George jokes! Bulls and heat better watch out next year!

AMushroomStamp
05-25-2012, 02:55 PM
They shouldnt have gotten out of the first round

because the orlando magic are a powerhouse and havent lost in the first round before, even with howard :rolleyes: