PDA

View Full Version : Better Matchup for Miami: Playing OKC or San Antonio in the finals?

JordansBulls
05-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Who would be the Better Matchup for Miami: Playing OKC or San Antonio in the finals?

No matter what either team would have HCA over Miami. Who would Miami have the greater chance of beating in a series?

Yes I know they got to get thru the Conference Finals but still odds are highly in there favor to do so.

I just think the finals would be the only series this season outside of OKC and SAS that would be epic.

mightybosstone
05-24-2012, 11:05 PM
That's a little premature JB. They still don't have Bosh back and both Boston and Philly are superior defensive teams to Indiana. If they don't get Bosh back, there's no guarantee Miami makes it to the Finals.

ManRam
05-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah...perhaps premature.

It's tough. OKC can counter Wade and LeBron the best with Durant and Westbrook....AND Harden...and they also can throw really quality players like Perk, Ibaka and Thabo at you, as well as great hustle guys like Collison and stability like Fisher.

But San Antonio's depth could KILL the Heat's complete ineptitude in terms of depth.

Both are tough match ups...but in different ways. I honestly think both are better teams than the Heat..but Wade and LeBron can make up for that.

2-ONE-5
05-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Shouldnt the question be asking Sixers or Celtics?

Blitzbolt
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
OKC is the better matchup because Wesbrick turns the ball over to much.

Cal827
05-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Premature... but I honestly think that OKC would pose a better chance in a finals vs Miami. I just see Lebron/Wade being too athletic for the Spurs; they would knock Duncan out of the series foul-wise I believe... and that's assuming Bosh doesn't go at him.

OKC has youth and athleticism that is very close. They come closest to making the match-up with the best player on the planet a wash.

Still think Miami would take them both out.

mightybosstone
05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
For the record, though, I think San Antonio is the better matchup for Miami. They're younger than they've been in previous seasons, but they are nowhere near as quick or athletic in transition as Miami.

Either way I think it would be a phenomenal series, but I'm crossing my fingers for the Heat and Thunder to make the Finals. That's what's best for the league and for the fans.

ManRam
05-24-2012, 11:22 PM

You know who's turned it over more than Russy in the playoffs?

Tony Parker.

You know who else?

Manu Ginobili.

You know who else even?

Kevin Durant AND James Harden!

Sorry, but that's just horrendous analysis. I'm assuming you hate Westbrook based on that comment, but he's turned it over 1.6 times a game in the playoffs. That is the LEAST of OKC's worries...literally...the last single worry right now.

shep33
05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Premature... Girls love to use that term with me.

Anyways, getting by Boston will be tough... I think. Depends on which Boston team shows up. If Avery Bradley is really hurt, then they've got some issues defending Wade.

Spurs depth is killer. OKC is pretty stacked with KD, Russy, Harden, Ibaka, Perk, etc. And they can put Thabo on Wade to at least try and slow him down.

Should be a great Finals. I picked Miami to win when the season started, but man... if Bosh ain't right for the Celtics, that could get interesting.

Blitzbolt
05-24-2012, 11:31 PM
You know who's turned it over more than Russy in the playoffs?

Tony Parker.

You know who else?

Manu Ginobili.

You know who else even?

Kevin Durant AND James Harden!

Sorry, but that's just horrendous analysis. I'm assuming you hate Westbrook based on that comment, but he's turned it over 1.6 times a game in the playoffs. That is the LEAST of OKC's worries...literally...the last single worry right now.True true you got me I did not see the LA OKC series because of the west coast times.

But last year he average about 5 a game(playoffs)I just assume he was still doing it.

Sadds The Gr8
05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
SAS can beat the Miami Cheat but I dont think OKC can

ManRam
05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
True true you got me I did not see the LA OKC series because of the west coast times.

But last year he average about 5 a game(playoffs)I just assume he was still doing it.

He was a turnover machine all year...so it wasn't foolish. Still, that's not an Achilles heel....even if he was turning it over 4 times a game.

He won't be able to keep that number below 2 against a defensive team like Miami though.

BobbyHillSwag
05-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Doesn't matter spurs gonna spank that ***

Master Mind
05-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Horse before cart my friend

TylerSL
05-24-2012, 11:37 PM
we arent in the Finals yet. If we get there, then whichever of those teams we play it will be one for the ages. Mia/SAS or Mia/OKC would be epic.

kjoke
05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Definitely SAS. They are proven, but I think the Heat could manage to win. The Thunder are too explosive to ignore, but again I think the heat can manage.

torocan
05-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Doesn't matter.

I don't think Miami is getting past either of them unless someone gets injured.

Not because Lebron and Wade aren't great players, but depth, depth, and more depth.

OKC and SAS benches will annihilate the Miami Bench, and the OKC/SAS starters can keep up with the Miami starters.

OKC is just as athletic as Miami off the transition and will run Wade and Lebron down.

SAS has some of the best passing and outside shooting in the league which will wear out Miami trying to cover the rotations.

That's not to say the Heat can't win, I just think they're underdogs.

The real Finals is SAS/OKC.

theheatles
05-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Bring on the Thunder, Heat will take them in 6 with Bosh. I don't want anything to do with the Spurs.

BALLER R
05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
I can't see anyone beating the spurs but OKC does have a weakness that no one talks about. And the heat can exploit it.

Wade>You
05-24-2012, 11:46 PM
SAS can beat the Miami Cheat but I dont think OKC canCheat because a team this good shouldn't be allowed? ;)

LJEATON26
05-24-2012, 11:47 PM
He was a turnover machine all year...so it wasn't foolish. Still, that's not an Achilles heel....even if he was turning it over 4 times a game.

He won't be able to keep that number below 2 against a defensive team like Miami though.

Westbrook has been better then Durant this postseason. Miami wouldn't stand a chance in slowing down the Thunder when they go small with Fisher, Westbrook, Harden, Durant and Ibaka. Honestly, Miami doesn't match up well with either especially since OkC and San Antonio both have home court advantage. The WCF is this years championship.

Blitzbolt
05-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Boston will be the best Defensive team the Heat will play(sorry sixers fans)so if they beat them they could beat anyone especially if wade plays like this and with Bosh.

Also the Heat love to take it to the rim and the Thunder have ibaka while the Spurs don't have a shot blocker on their roster.

CHANGO
05-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Not the Spurs...

No answer for Parker. No answer for ball movement.

OKC
Answer or solution for KD, answer or solution for Westbrook, answer or solution for Harden, answer or solution for 1vs1 offense, answer for Brooks. Ibaka tho...

WITZ
05-24-2012, 11:52 PM
They lose to either of them :shrug:

BALLER R
05-24-2012, 11:53 PM
If the heat do face the spurs. The spurs bench will be the X-factor.

tbone2171
05-25-2012, 12:01 AM
premature speculation

thekmp211
05-25-2012, 12:22 AM
OKC of course. they have no post presence. miami has a real shot in that series.

but they still have to win game 7 and get past whoever wins the other series. if it's boston, that is far from a done deal.

and the spurs aren't losing in the west.

JIDsanity
05-25-2012, 12:50 AM
This is a little disrespectful to the Celtics and 76ers don't ya think?

ThunderousDemon
05-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Doesn't matter, both teams can beat the heat

BKLYNpigeon
05-25-2012, 12:56 AM
doesnt matter the championship team is coming out of the west.

BKLYNpigeon
05-25-2012, 12:58 AM
The Spurs are the best the best team left. They have been playing great all season and have not lost a gave in the playoffs. They are the MOST complete team I have seen in awhile.I dont know what you guys dont see it.

kozelkid
05-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Yeah...perhaps premature.

It's tough. OKC can counter Wade and LeBron the best with Durant and Westbrook....AND Harden...and they also can throw really quality players like Perk, Ibaka and Thabo at you, as well as great hustle guys like Collison and stability like Fisher.

But San Antonio's depth could KILL the Heat's complete ineptitude in terms of depth.

Both are tough match ups...but in different ways. I honestly think both are better teams than the Heat..but Wade and LeBron can make up for that.

Before SA went on this amazing streak, I would have thought that Miami would have demolished them. Now? I think SA would win in 6. If you think Indiana gave Miami trouble, think of a far more disciplined and experienced team with more talent at the perimeter positions and Tim Duncan who is still obviously better than Hibbert without being a black hole at times and able to create for others like a boss.

SA also matches up very well with OKC. The three teams I thought that would have given SA the most trouble were Chicago, LA and Memphis. However, given that they are all eliminated, I just don't think any remaining team can take them down. SA's biggest concern was a team with a strong frontcourt. At least that's how I see it. As it is, I could see SA absolutely abusing Miami in the paint with Duncan.

Regardless, without Bosh, they don't have a prayer against either. With Bosh, I think OKC could go to 7, and SAS goes to 6 with SAS winning as I mentioned earlier.

John Walls Era
05-25-2012, 01:04 AM
I think they can beat OKC only because I think the Spurs are better than OKC. Spurs offense exploits way more of Miami's weaknesses. Still they need to get things done against Boston (maybe 76ers).

mdm692
05-25-2012, 01:17 AM

Hahhaahah owned.

mdm692
05-25-2012, 01:20 AM
The best match up possible is SAS vs BOS

rockbottom2010
05-25-2012, 01:23 AM
That's a little premature JB. They still don't have Bosh back and both Boston and Philly are superior defensive teams to Indiana. If they don't get Bosh back, there's no guarantee Miami makes it to the Finals.

is that why hes healing at a fast rate
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1977/chris-bosh

he'll be there during the conference finals.....game 2 def.....but think about this....lbj and wade are playing at another level.....

MrfadeawayJB
05-25-2012, 01:26 AM
OKC is a better matchup for Miami.

Less experience, less scoring options, less production from bench. Plus we all known the Spurs are the Lebron's kryptonite

kozelkid
05-25-2012, 01:37 AM
OKC is a better matchup for Miami.

Less experience, less scoring options, less production from bench. Plus we all known the Spurs are the Lebron's kryptonite

Do we?

Miami absolutely obliterated them this season. Same with last season (granted, SA did the same).

Toxeryll
05-25-2012, 01:40 AM
C. None of the above

Bravo95
05-25-2012, 01:58 AM
First thought was Oklahoma City is tailor made for Miami, but if the Thunder dominate this Spurs team after just taking apart the other West powerhouses, I don't see how anyone could stop them. It would seem like rite of passage.

Cfrey
05-25-2012, 02:05 AM
this isn't premature at all.. this is a legitimate question regardless if they make the finals or not lol

and i think they have a better shot against san antonio

Bishnoff
05-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Miami would have a better chance against OKC. The Spurs are too deep and they'll expose Miami's weaknesses.

Wade>You
05-25-2012, 02:13 AM
OKC has the athleticism and physical toughness, SAS has the coaching edge and experience. Tough decision as a Heat fan.

amos1er
05-25-2012, 02:25 AM
If I was a Miami fan I would be praying that by some miracle OKC knocks off San Antonio. Miami has a chance against OKC and I think could beat them, but no way they beat a healthy San Antonio....especially with an injured Bosh.

Baller1
05-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Maaaaaan, SA has become invulnerable apparently.

Not that I don't respect and understand what they've done the past couple months, but damn people are starting to act like they'll never lose again. If they don't I'll be the first to admit being wrong; with that said though, people need to realize that OKC arguably has had the better playoff run thus far.

I said SA in 5 initially, but now that everyone's hopping on the SA bandwagon, I'll take my Thunder in 6. **** it.

Baller1
05-25-2012, 02:28 AM
If Bosh is healthy, I think Miami has a better shot against SA.

torocan
05-25-2012, 02:34 AM
In straight match up terms, SAS is more dangerous to Miami. Their paint presence AND outside shooting are killer, not to mention their passing game is about as good as it gets.

OKC is crazy athletic with great jump shooting and killer shot blockers. Durant's length and fantastic jump shooting means nobody's stopping him unless you double him up, then you're leaving Westbrook and/or Harden in ISO and the Heat doesn't have enough good defenders to cover all of them.

Both of them have fantastic benches, another weakness of Miami.

Really, the only teams that match up well with OKC and SAS are teams with a HUGE inside post presence and strong rebounding big men. There are no teams that will be able to significantly outclass them with just pure talent or athleticism. Those rosters just don't exist in the league right now.

Lakers had a shot.

Dallas had a shot as well, though less after they gave up Chandler.

Chicago would have had a chance just off rebounding, but their lack of offensive weapons would have caught up to them given how explosive SAS and OKC are in terms of scoring.

Miami is just going to have LOTS of problems. If Miami can't even contain Rondo consistently, TP and Westbrook are going to tear them apart.

Tier 1 - OKC/SAS
Tier 2 - Miami
Tier 3 - Everyone else.

The Champion this year is most likely NOT coming out of South Beach. Not this year, and maybe not for several years to come.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-25-2012, 02:39 AM
Westbrook can destroy Chalmers, which could be the difference in the series. Head to head stats say that Chalmers can hold his own but this is the playoffs, where it's different.

But the Spurs are savvy veterans with good youth players too. If Bosh doesn't come back, Tim Duncan will destroy the Heat big men with no offense to fire back with.

JordansBulls
05-25-2012, 10:22 AM
If Bosh is healthy, I think Miami has a better shot against SA.

Why do you say that? Bosh gets tore up by Garnett, imagine what Duncan would do to him?

JayW_1023
05-25-2012, 10:24 AM
I think both OKC and The Spurs are better teams than Miami.

2-ONE-5
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Premature... Girls love to use that term with me.

Anyways, getting by Boston will be tough... I think. Depends on which Boston team shows up. If Avery Bradley is really hurt, then they've got some issues defending Wade.

Spurs depth is killer. OKC is pretty stacked with KD, Russy, Harden, Ibaka, Perk, etc. And they can put Thabo on Wade to at least try and slow him down.

Should be a great Finals. I picked Miami to win when the season started, but man... if Bosh ain't right for the Celtics, that could get interesting.

you do realize Boston still has a game to go?

3RDASYSTEM
05-25-2012, 10:42 AM
OKC/HEAT Finals would save NBA and move'em toward future with a super young team in OKC and a veteran but young enough type team in HEAT, this is best bet for a combo of youth/starpower/ratings so STERN has to be drooling for this

SPURS/HEAT would be better for in moment and make a mean storyline as BRON would be looking for revenge on those SPURS from his CAVdays,so i would figure they'd pull for this with DUNCAN goin for 5th and BRON goin for 1st and plus PARKER/GINOBILI help geographically also..but dont count out BOS/OKC Finals

todu82
05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
The Spurs. I think they can beat them, but I don't see them beating the Thunder.

tcav701
05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
OKC can match up with them athletically and then its a track meet that can go either way.

SA would beat Miami in 5, Pop would coach circles around Spo.

h2r09
05-25-2012, 11:10 AM
don't want to play the spurs. they are deep, but their bench is actually efficient. would rather play okc because i feel our big 3 can outplay theirs and their style benefits us.

Gritz
05-25-2012, 11:15 AM
OKC, the spurs are too deep and would run them off the court

willabeast77
05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
If Miami makes the Finals as they should, Miami would much rather face the Spurs. Either way, Miami won't have homecourt but they match up better than an old Spurs team rather than a hungry, quicker OKC team.

thedfactor
05-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Spurs have a great chance to beat the Heat, in fact they would.

The Thunder would be better play for Miami, I think Heat are better at that style

RLundi
05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow, is there an echo? 'Premature,' how original.

In all likelihood, Miami is going to the Finals. You know as well as I do.

kingkenny01
05-25-2012, 11:44 AM
First we shouldn't assume philly/celtics just lose but for this post sake we will
Second either match up the heat are not favored but that doesn't mean the heat have not chance assuming bosh is at least 80 percent which is quite possible since many are saying he can come back in the beginning of the eastern conference finals.

I think the thunder are the easier match up because they dont have as much experience as the spurs. The spurs have so much depth that the Heat's second unit wont be able to keep up with the spurs.

WadeCounty
05-25-2012, 11:48 AM
I rather see OKC than the spurs in the finals

king4day
05-25-2012, 11:50 AM
If Miami reaches the finals, I think they match better with OKC simply because I think SA is a better defensive team. But regardless, if Miami is going to struggle against a team with no firepower like Indy, I'd be worried to see how they handle faster, deeper teams like SA or OKC.

torocan
05-25-2012, 11:58 AM
If Miami reaches the finals, I think they match better with OKC simply because I think SA is a better defensive team. But regardless, if Miami is going to struggle against a team with no firepower like Indy, I'd be worried to see how they handle faster, deeper teams like SA or OKC.

This.

There's no way OKC and SA struggle to score the same way Indiana did.

The Spurs is Indiana on steroids. Indiana with more talent, better scoring, sharper passing, stronger bench and more experience.

OKC is basically a younger version of Miami, with an Elite PG, longer defenders and stronger bench.

Both teams can wear out the Heat's Big 3. And the longer the series goes, the harder it will be on Miami. Miami just doesn't have enough guys who can carry the weight to hold either of them off for a significant length of time.

And that doesn't even factor in the Coaching.

Spo is in over his head.

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
It doesn't matter Boston will be in the NBA finals not the cheat

Il Mago50
05-25-2012, 12:11 PM
It doesn't matter Boston will be in the NBA finals not the cheat

Without Avery Bradley, it's highly unlikely.

Davidgta1
05-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Spurs have a great TEAM mia just has 2 great players.

Blitzbolt
05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
??The Spurs have not been tested yet Clippers and Jazz suck.I'm gonna wait and see how they do vs the Thunder.

Chronz
05-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Spurs remind me of last years Mavs, they have shooters at every position and can stretch Miami out so far that their scrambling defense will struggle to zone in on any 1 player. OKC has alot of star talent, both are favorites against MIA.

kdspurman
05-25-2012, 01:20 PM
??The Spurs have not been tested yet Clippers and Jazz suck.I'm gonna wait and see how they do vs the Thunder.

Hey! You're back again :)

(Side note: Those who argue that the Thunder's romp past the Mavs and Lakers was far more impressive need to look at the standings instead of the jerseys. Dallas and Utah had the same record; the Lakers edged the Clippers by a game.)

DreamShaker
05-25-2012, 01:31 PM
If they do make the Finals, it has got to be the Spurs, right? The two best players on the Spurs are the two biggest weaknesses on Miami. Plus, the Spurs are just playing at a level above anyone else. I honestly do not believe Miami can beat either one, but Spurs has to be the least envious matchup for anyone knowing and seeing what has gone down thus far.

GrkGawdofWalkz
05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Neither, because I firmly believe the Spurs or the Thunder would run Lebrade out of the Finals. The Spurs would make the Heat's second union look like an NBDL team. I'm sorry everyone can buy into the hype of the three. I find it hilarious how bad they are in the East. Regardless if Bosh comes back or not. Either western conference winner with wipe the floor with the Heat. To answer the question, the Thunder would be a better match up if the Heat were to win.

koreancabbage
05-25-2012, 02:43 PM
doesn't matter, noone can stop both Wade and Lebron.

YoungOne
05-25-2012, 02:59 PM
they will lose either way is my guess, but they will beat us if we advance.

ohreally
05-25-2012, 05:44 PM

'xactly.

LA_Raiders
05-25-2012, 05:53 PM
KG will own the Cheat.... Weare going to fast here... Thats why the game is played...

KNICKS R BACK
05-25-2012, 06:00 PM
the thunder is the better matchup for miami without a doubt, the spurs will mop the floor with them...im ashamed to say i would actually root for the heat over the thunder, thats how much i despise chucky westbrick and the rest of OKC

Baller1
05-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey! You're back again :)

(Side note: Those who argue that the Thunder's romp past the Mavs and Lakers was far more impressive need to look at the standings instead of the jerseys. Dallas and Utah had the same record; the Lakers edged the Clippers by a game.)

You don't really think Utah and LAC is on the same level of difficulty as LAL and San Antonio though, do you?

justinnum1
05-25-2012, 06:20 PM
KG will own the Cheat.... Weare going to fast here... Thats why the game is played...

lmao, celtics need to get past philly first

JordansBulls
05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Spurs remind me of last years Mavs, they have shooters at every position and can stretch Miami out so far that their scrambling defense will struggle to zone in on any 1 player. OKC has alot of star talent, both are favorites against MIA.

To me honestly if it is the Spurs I would see them play Boston. To finally get a Duncan vs KG matchup. If it is OKC I would rather see them play Miami to get a Durant vs LBJ matchup. Either two young teams or two older teams.

kdspurman
05-25-2012, 07:13 PM
You don't really think Utah and LAC is on the same level of difficulty as LAL and San Antonio though, do you?

Not at all. But they're not some scrub teams either by any means. I think LAL was surely a tougher match-up, but not Dallas like many folks have been throwing out there.

Losoway
05-25-2012, 11:52 PM
SPURS BY FAR .....the spurs are so overated right now its not even funny right now

THE GIPPER
05-26-2012, 12:17 AM
For all those saying that it doesnt matter who the Heat play because whoever comes out of the West is going to win, those statements are as premature as assuming Miami will be in the Finals.

NBAfan4life
05-26-2012, 12:50 AM
I want to see OKC in the finals. I live in Minnesota, the Lakers are my favorite team (wolves 2nd), but I just love watching Durant play. OKC in general is fun to watch, but Durant is such a pure shooter

NBAfan4life
05-26-2012, 12:52 AM
To me honestly if it is the Spurs I would see them play Boston. To finally get a Duncan vs KG matchup. If it is OKC I would rather see them play Miami to get a Durant vs LBJ matchup. Either two young teams or two older teams.

Double post, but this ^^^^

I honestly would have little interest in watching the Spurs vs Heat. Spurs Vs celtics would be almost watchable.

spurs4#5
05-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Right now heat fans would almost have to be hoping for okc to beat the spurs...seeing how almost every spur fan I know wanted to play okc...

No offense to okc or heat fans but...okc=heat...spurs are much better rounded team and until someone actually hands them more loses than they've had in the past 40 some odd games it would just be idiotic to want to face them in a 7 game series...and by the way

Coach pop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any coach he would face from here on out

JordansBulls
05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
SPURS BY FAR .....the spurs are so overated right now its not even funny right now

How are they overrated?

Blitzbolt
05-26-2012, 10:16 PM
I see alot of people saying that the Spurs are like the Mavs but they don't have a chandler who pretty much stop the Heat last year.

Also the Spurs have not been tested the Clipps and Jazz suck the playoffs start on Sunday for the Spurs.