PDA

View Full Version : Odom wants to play for the Knicks if waived

310Casper
05-24-2012, 02:54 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/will-the-knicks-be-getting-lamar-odom/1#.T76DotX0g9U

Good luck, New York.

If Dallas can't get rid of Odom in a trade, it will likely waive him and be responsible for paying Odom his guaranteed money. That's something Dallas would obviously rather avoid.

If the Mavericks are forced to waive Odom, he would become a free agent. In that scenario, the Queens native would likely be looking at a significant pay cut from the $8.2 he was scheduled to make this season.
Would he be interested in coming to New York at a discounted rate?

A source with knowledge of Odom's thinking says yes. The source says the Knicks would be "on the top of his list" if Odom became a free agent.

HeaTxRipZz
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Definitely doesn't hurt to bring a vet in. Could possibly have him play PF off the bench behind Amare or something I wouldn't mind it at all as long as it's cheap

knicks4life33
05-24-2012, 02:58 PM
what up saddlerrrrrrrrrrr

knicks4life33
05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
ide def take odom on the vet minimum if he is motivated and happy to be on my team.

BobbyHillSwag
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
hell no, keep him away(knicks are my second favorite team) Dont want his emotional *** and all his drama playing for knicks. We need guards more than big men.

utl768
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
that'll change real fast when he realizes he can only get the veteran minimum from them

i dont see how a sign and trade could work either unless the knicks are gonna give up shumpert or something like that

310Casper
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
I think he also has that show in New York with his wife Khloe Kardajian

utl768
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
hell no, keep him away(knicks are my second favorite team) Dont want his emotional *** and all his drama playing for knicks. We need guards more than big men.

i agree with this

his crack head father lives in ny so putting odom closer isnt a recipe for success considering odom himself is an emotional nut

smith&wesson
05-24-2012, 03:08 PM
odom would be nice off the bench for the knicks. maybe he can get back to his 6th man of the year ways.. he would be a better option then jr smith for that role imo.

Sadds The Gr8
05-24-2012, 03:10 PM
what up saddlerrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=941RY6BVd2Q

KNICKS R BACK
05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
if he's gonna bring his A-game im all for it...and by the way, if he gets waived dallas is on the hook for his 8.2 million he's owed,if you read the article...it's reasonable to think he would take the vets minimum to play somewhere he would be comfortable that would have a chance to make noise in the playoffs...the knicks season next year depends on this union grievance about the bird rights of players picked up off waivers...if it doesnt go the players way, the knicks are in big trouble next year, if it does the league is in big trouble...if the knicks can convince nash to come for the mid level exception, and convince odom to come for cheap while keeping lin and novak (and landry fields) with the bird rights, the knicks will be a lot better next year...im not a huge JR Smith fan but if he picked up his option i wouldnt be mad at that either ... i would also hope they bring back Jeffries for the vets minimum...this is a stacked roster

Nash/Lin
Shumpert/JR/Landry Fields
Melo/Novak
Amare/Odom
Chandler, Jeffries, Harrelson

GiantsSwaGG
05-24-2012, 03:27 PM
It's funny, I seen him in Jamaica Queens a couple of Weeks ago!

nate2usmc
05-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Like a few have pointed here, I don't want Odom here. How would he handle a losing streak in NY with it's vulture Media and emotional fans? Potential family issues (father)

Now here is a fact as to why he isn't gonna be a Knick: Vet Min is his max pay. He is better off being a Laker or going to Miami for that price.

Punk
05-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I see why people say fans are idiots.

1st: He WANTS to play here. He did not like being traded from LA. Big difference.

2nd: He's an emotional nut? I'd like to see the reaction of you all when a close cousin gets murdered followed by a car accident where you witness a child get killed then get traded after management looks at you and says "Welcome back Lamar".

He already said he was considering retiring for awhile. He obviously had alot going in this season and It's unfair to label him into some crazy guy over it.

Long as he's in shape and focused, he will return to form in NY or elsewhere.

KNICKS R BACK
05-24-2012, 03:33 PM
why is it such a closed case that he wont take vets minimum to come home when hes already gonna be getting 8 million next year from dallas if he's waived?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
that would be great for the knicks if he would take the vet min

PrettyBoyJ
05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Something tells me his wife may be shooting a new reality show in NY which would explain the sudden interest in the Knicks.. That and he's from Queens

Raps18-19 Champ
05-24-2012, 03:58 PM
C-Howard
PF-Odom
SF-Carmelo
SG-Shumpert
PG-Lin

popo85
05-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Still so versatile can play along side Melo/Amare at the 4 and give Amare a break and feed Ty Chandler buckets playing along side. He had a off year but playing back home will have him rejuvenated.

aussie
05-24-2012, 04:14 PM

lol 2nd favourite team, what are you playing at!

mjm07
05-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Would be a great pick up for the Knicks at the minimum. Would be even better if he goes back to Miami and joins his buddy D-Wade.

queue knick fans...

fadedmario
05-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Lamar Kardashian is a pathetic joke.

Funny his fat wife runs the show and ruined his career.

Max.This
05-24-2012, 04:22 PM
if i was him and i was getting paid vets min I would go to Miami. I'm a knicks fan and I'd love to have him here in NY , but unless he wants to come here for other reasons, then Its probable that he'll take his vets min to South Beach.

VikingsMagic
05-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Odom is ********

BKLYNpigeon
05-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Odom will get a MLE. I could see him with the Knicks, Nets, Warriors or Clippers.

jiggin
05-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Any team that takes him on is going to have to accept the fact that he has proven he can not be relied on or trusted. His "feelings" can get into the way and disrupt his play. Good players don't allow this to happen unless the emotions are uplifting to their game.

His true colors have come out...and it SHOULD effect his paycheck and his right to get minutes on any team...until he shows something different on the court.

Chacarron
05-24-2012, 04:31 PM
If he is inspired, the Knicks will get a bargain in Odom.

nycericanguy
05-24-2012, 04:34 PM
that'll change real fast when he realizes he can only get the veteran minimum from them

i dont see how a sign and trade could work either unless the knicks are gonna give up shumpert or something like that

i'm pretty sure DAL would still have to pay him if they waived him, and a vet min for him is like $2m, add that to what DAL is paying him and he'd be making a pretty penny. Just like Baron Davis get the vet min from NY, but was still getting over $20m from CLE.

Where ever he goes I don't think he's getting anything more than the vet min TBH.

IIISSKiLL
05-24-2012, 04:39 PM
if he's gonna bring his A-game im all for it...and by the way, if he gets waived dallas is on the hook for his 8.2 million he's owed,if you read the article...it's reasonable to think he would take the vets minimum to play somewhere he would be comfortable that would have a chance to make noise in the playoffs...the knicks season next year depends on this union grievance about the bird rights of players picked up off waivers...if it doesnt go the players way, the knicks are in big trouble next year, if it does the league is in big trouble...if the knicks can convince nash to come for the mid level exception, and convince odom to come for cheap while keeping lin and novak (and landry fields) with the bird rights, the knicks will be a lot better next year...im not a huge JR Smith fan but if he picked up his option i wouldnt be mad at that either ... i would also hope they bring back Jeffries for the vets minimum...this is a stacked roster

Nash/Lin
Shumpert/JR/Landry Fields
Melo/Novak
Amare/Odom
Chandler, Jeffries, Harrelson

Knicks don't own Linn's bird rights, or Landry Fields bird rights.. idk about Novak but you want to keep Linn you gotta give him the mid for only one year.. the Knicks have the same exact team for the next 2 years.. New York has a good team right now but they can't get their **** together.. Nash is trying to go to Miami imo, and odom going to New York isn't going to change much of anything

Captain Moroni
05-24-2012, 04:45 PM
why is it such a closed case that he wont take vets minimum to come home when hes already gonna be getting 8 million next year from dallas if he's waived?

I might be wrong here but I thought any money the Knicks gave him would go towards his Dallas salary? So if the mavericks owed him 8 million and the Knicks gave him 3 million Dallas would pay 5 Knicks 3 right? Pretty sure that's how it worked before.

IIISSKiLL
05-24-2012, 04:46 PM
i'm pretty sure DAL would still have to pay him if they waived him, and a vet min for him is like $2m, add that to what DAL is paying him and he'd be making a pretty penny. Just like Baron Davis get the vet min from NY, but was still getting over $20m from CLE.

Where ever he goes I don't think he's getting anything more than the vet min TBH.

I don't think New York gave Baron Davis a vet's min I'm pretty sure the Cavs amnesty claused him and New York is paying a little bit of his contract to help the Cavs. Lamar Odom is getting 8.9 million this year but hes guaranteed about 3 mill if he gets waived I could be mistaken if he wants to go to New York hes going to go for hardly any money at all but like i said before if you want nash you cant keep fields or linn

IIISSKiLL
05-24-2012, 04:48 PM
and Dallas is not going to amnesty Lamar Odom and if they do the bobcats can pick him up before anybody else lol

gatkins11
05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
He has a $2.4 million buyout. I'm pretty sure that's all he's owed from Dallas.

KNICKS R BACK
05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Knicks don't own Linn's bird rights, or Landry Fields bird rights.. idk about Novak but you want to keep Linn you gotta give him the mid for only one year.. the Knicks have the same exact team for the next 2 years.. New York has a good team right now but they can't get their **** together.. Nash is trying to go to Miami imo, and odom going to New York isn't going to change much of anything

#1 yes they do own landry's bird rights as it is, they drafted him...number two if the union grievence goes the players way THEY WOULD have lin and novaks rights, learn to read

KNICKS R BACK
05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
and Dallas is not going to amnesty Lamar Odom and if they do the bobcats can pick him up before anybody else lol

nobody said amnesty...you really need to learn how to read kiddo

BK-TY
05-24-2012, 05:03 PM
odom would be nice off the bench for the knicks. maybe he can get back to his 6th man of the year ways.. he would be a better option then jr smith for that role imo.

ESPECIALLY at $2.4 mil if claimed off waivers.

KNICKS R BACK
05-24-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't think New York gave Baron Davis a vet's min I'm pretty sure the Cavs amnesty claused him and New York is paying a little bit of his contract to help the Cavs. Lamar Odom is getting 8.9 million this year but hes guaranteed about 3 mill if he gets waived I could be mistaken if he wants to go to New York hes going to go for hardly any money at all but like i said before if you want nash you cant keep fields or linn

wrong again, what a surprise...he got a vets minimum from new york and cleveland is paid his whole salary other than the vets minimum we signed him for...do you know anything about how this stuff works? you're 0 for 3 so far

BK-TY
05-24-2012, 05:12 PM

If you get amnestied the team that picks you up pays you whatever ya'll agree to (and takes a cap hit for that amount) and the team that amnestied you would have to pay the difference of whatever you're still owed but it won't count against their cap.

When you get waived, and a team picks you up AFTER you clear waivers, the team that waived you still has to pay your salary MINUS whatever you get from the new team and whatever amount is being paid by both teams counts against their cap.

So when we paid Davis $1.5mil (or whatever it was) of his $20mil (or whatever) contract from Cleveland, the Cavs only had to pay the other $18.5 mil which didn't count against their cap since they amnestied him. But the deal ate up $1.5mil of NYs cap space.

A player doesn't get EXTRA money for getting waived or amnestied.

justinnum1
05-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I think odom will play for Miami next season

ragee
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM

Wait, why are people Odom is going to take a vets minimum? He is not getting amnestied or anything like that. His contract has a team option next year meaning, the Mavs can extend or terminate it next season. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think he is getting anything from the Mavs they choose to let him go.

BobbyHillSwag
05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
lol 2nd favourite team, what are you playing at!

i watched 80% of their games this season, they are a great team to watch. Def in april, carmelo was the best player in the league that month.

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
He'd be a great addition to any team... NY, he could eat up the back up minutes for Amare and Melo and get starting minutes, move Fields to SG so they have a bigger rotation. Looks good on paper... though me, personally, I'd like to see Odom back in LA. A Bynum/Pau/Odom front court rotation would be solid.

IIISSKiLL
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
nobody said amnesty...you really need to learn how to read kiddo

Fortunately for the Knicks, a clause in the collective bargaining agreement prevents other teams from offering Lin more than the mid-level exception this summer and since general manager Glen Grunwald can match any offer, it seems Lin won't be going anywhere.

That is, unless the Knicks want to use their MLE on someone else, say Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns.

The rumors of Nash coming to the Knicks have been churning ever since he made New York City his offseason home. And now that's an unrestricted free agent, those rumors will only intensify.

There you have it you happy *** knicks fan who will be only disappointed once again this year. Go **** yourself with your lame insults and LEARN YOUR INFO BEFORE YOU FIGHT WITH SOMEBODY IN A PUBLIC FORUM

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2012, 06:19 PM

YES!!! Because they don't have enough forwards, do they? LBJ. Bosh. Haslem. Battier. Miller.

Seriously. When would they play Odom? I don't doubt that Pat Riley would do that, since he did use the MLE last season to sign Battier when he already had LBJ and Miller, but what Miami REALLY needs is a center, even more than a point guard, because at least Chalmbers can paly defence and shoot three, and we all know that's all he needs to do since LBJ and Wade will be bringing the ball up the court.

IIISSKiLL
05-24-2012, 06:22 PM
wrong again, what a surprise...he got a vets minimum from new york and cleveland is paid his whole salary other than the vets minimum we signed him for...do you know anything about how this stuff works? you're 0 for 3 so far

What a surprise the loud mouth Knick fan is WRONG AGAIN Cleveland Cavaliers used the amnesty provision on him SO THE KNICKS PAY A LITTLE BIT OF HIS ORIGINAL SALARY while the cavs pay the rest the knicks didn't give him money on top of his ORIGINAL CONTRACT. DO YOUR ****ING HOMEWORK YOU MORON

nycericanguy
05-24-2012, 06:43 PM
What a surprise the loud mouth Knick fan is WRONG AGAIN Cleveland Cavaliers used the amnesty provision on him SO THE KNICKS PAY A LITTLE BIT OF HIS ORIGINAL SALARY while the cavs pay the rest the knicks didn't give him money on top of his ORIGINAL CONTRACT. DO YOUR ****ING HOMEWORK YOU MORON

actually you're wrong.... Davis CLEARED waivers so he was a UFA and NY signed him at the vet min.

you're thinking of the bidding process like Billups who was claimed by LAC with a bid and that bid amount went to NY to help pay Billups' contract.

Punk
05-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Just like Billups and Davis right?

Yankee Clipper
05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't mind him coming off the bench at a fairly cheap price. Seems like one of the few places he wants to play besides LA, so I'm sure he will be playing with a purpose.

godolphins
05-24-2012, 07:10 PM

Baron Davis? Not happening . Billups? Possible. Odom? Possible.

torocan
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM

They have Lin under GA/RFA and Fields under Early Bird rights.

Not going to get into a long explanation of how Lin could get ALOT more than $5m/year average during FA. Lots of posts about that in the Knicks forum.

Evolution23
05-24-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm a Little reluctant on odom even though he's from my borough of Queens. Even though he dealt with a lot of bs last season, he should've handled it better.

torocan
05-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Fortunately for the Knicks, a clause in the collective bargaining agreement prevents other teams from offering Lin more than the mid-level exception this summer and since general manager Glen Grunwald can match any offer, it seems Lin won't be going anywhere.

That is, unless the Knicks want to use their MLE on someone else, say Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns.

The rumors of Nash coming to the Knicks have been churning ever since he made New York City his offseason home. And now that's an unrestricted free agent, those rumors will only intensify.

There you have it you happy *** knicks fan who will be only disappointed once again this year. Go **** yourself with your lame insults and LEARN YOUR INFO BEFORE YOU FIGHT WITH SOMEBODY IN A PUBLIC FORUM

This is completely wrong. Other teams can only offer him the leage average salary for the first TWO years, but they CAN backload the last TWO years of a contract for up to FOUR years at the max salary.

And Yes, Grunwald can match all offers, but the other teams can possibly make it so expensive that Grunwald walks.

Not going to go into the details here, lots of posts about it in the Knicks forum.

THE MTL
05-24-2012, 07:40 PM

Can u please stop posting . U sound like an idiot who is clueless. I've read several of ur posts. And YOUR WRONG. Stop trying to tell us knicks fans about our own team! When u clearly dnt know anything!

xbrackattackx
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
i'm a little reluctant on odom even though he's from my borough of queens. Even though he dealt with a lot of bs last season, he should've handled it better.

718?

stag6004
05-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Awhile ago, in previous threads, I brought up bringing Odom here and that he would be a good fit. A lot of ppl were against it, and rightly so given what he did in Dallas. But remember, he was real good in LA and only tanked in Dallas bc he did not want to be there and thought he would be a Laker until he retired. He went though a depressed state. Now he realizes that LA is not an option anymore and wants to still play and restore his reputation. I think he would be good in NY, especially when he can go to the 3, Melo at the 4 and Chandler at the 5. He would take a lot of pressure off Amare, even though I think we would be better suited to try and trade Amare.

He is not going to get much in salary after this year, so we could land him with a vet minimum or if the birds right case is won, give him a boost with some of our excemption money.

SluggeR
05-24-2012, 08:26 PM

The heat are made up of mostly small & power forwards, why would he go to mia? If he goes to mia it's for the location and the check, not because he wants to be a key cog for a winning team.

GiantsSwaGG
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM

So is Deron Williams & the rest of the league :facepalm:

blastmasta26
05-24-2012, 09:14 PM
C-Howard
PF-Odom
SF-Carmelo
SG-Shumpert
PG-Lin
I wish. :drool:

justinnum1
05-24-2012, 09:23 PM
The heat are made up of mostly small & power forwards, why would he go to mia? If he goes to mia it's for the location and the check, not because he wants to be a key cog for a winning team.

why? because he could start and finish in miami

justinnum1
05-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Glad we didnt get that bum davis, billups is welcome.

schilling
05-24-2012, 09:44 PM
And I wanna play for the Sixers.

Im so sick of hearing where NBA players wanna play. Unless you are able to decide your fate (Free Agent or No-Trade Clause), shut up and play the game. Enjoy playing in a league that many dream of playing for and only a select few get to do.

blahblahyoutoo
05-24-2012, 09:54 PM
It's funny, I seen him in Jamaica Queens a couple of Weeks ago!

I saw.

jp611
05-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Of course he does :laugh:

That way khloe can be close to Kim and they can make money off another stupid reality show

blastmasta26
05-24-2012, 10:19 PM
And I wanna play for the Sixers.

Im so sick of hearing where NBA players wanna play. Unless you are able to decide your fate (Free Agent or No-Trade Clause), shut up and play the game. Enjoy playing in a league that many dream of playing for and only a select few get to do.
Well, his supposed preference for NY is based on the assumption that he will be waived.

KnicksPain
05-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Glad we didnt get that bum davis, billups is welcome.

He was far from a bum this year when healthy, we never played against you when he was healthy, the first time was like his second game back and he was only allowed to play 15 minutes, every other time he was playing through hammy and knee injuries because Lin was out.

I may seem to be overreacting and taking this personal but he played really hard for us and pushed himself past what his body could do so I take offense to him being referred to as a bum especially when you would be extremely naive to ignore the all star career the man has had.

beasted86
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Odom wouldn't take $3M to come off the bench in NY when he can get $3M to start for Miami. Just saying....

All in all, I think Brooklyn is on top of his list especially if they work a Howard trade.

Williams / Morrow / AK47 / Odom / Howard <---- Nasty.