PDA

View Full Version : Red Auerbach: Red on Roundball, Auerbach on Flopping and Officiating. UPDATE Post #19

Bruno
05-23-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQP-Mlp6DI

"Lets clean this thing up. Lets not hurt the game"- Red

Fantastic video. He'd be rolling over in his grave with the way players are getting away with flopping in todays NBA.

Gram
05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Red Auerbach. <3

lygzcy1
05-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Red Auerbach,i love you [url] http://www.ckyo.info/jpg1

lygzcy1
05-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Red Auerbach,i love you http://www.ckyo.info/jpg1

lygzcy1
05-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Red Auerbach,i love you http://www.ckyo.info/jpg1

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Someone show this to clips and heat

Heater4life
05-24-2012, 06:42 AM
They should. I love Lebron but i despise his acting.

Patman
05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
So flopping is something that only happens in the last 10+ years, but they talked about that in the 70's. They teached that back in the day already. They refined that stuff over the years.

I agree it has to be toned down but this video just shows that flopping was around for ages.

SpaceJamJordans
05-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Someone show this to clips and heat

And your beloved Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher. Cry me a river :cry:

alenahra
05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1So flopping is something that only happens in the last 10+ years, but they talked about that in the 70's. They teached that back in the day already. They refined that stuff over the years.

I agree it has to be toned down but this video just shows that flopping was around for ages.

They teached that back in the day already. They refined that stuff over the years.

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
I wish this guy was still alive... :-(

sep11ie
05-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Yea, the already teached that already

Chronz
05-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I wish this guy was still alive... :-(

Me too, he never saw Phil break his record

bagwell368
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM

Yes that's true, but...

Coach, GM, traveling secretary, film editor, advance scout, assistant trainer - Red did all that by himself. Phil had a rather large staff.

Bos_Sports4Life
05-26-2012, 01:54 AM

I doubt Red would have been too impressed...

Red Constructed teams, Phil merely went into already good situations...

Also while Phil Passed Red as far as COACHING titles go, He's still a ways away from reaching him in overall championships, Red Was either coached or constructed 16 seperate championship teams

Red Drafted the likes Of Russell,Jones, Bird, Havlicek, Cowens. Made one of the most lopesided trades in sports history in getting Parrish/McHale ect

There are 14 Hall of Famers who had extended Celtics careers thanks to either playing for, or being drafted by, Auerbach

Overall...16 titles in 30 Yrs for Red, Red>>>>>Phil

Lakeshow24KB
05-26-2012, 02:03 AM
And your beloved Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher. Cry me a river :cry:

1. We're past March 15th, fisher is on OKC...:facepalm:
2. He's not complaining about anything? He just pointed out that The Clippers and Heat flop a lot and there's no denying that.

spurs4#5
05-26-2012, 03:37 AM
They teached that back in the day already. They refined that stuff over the years.

what they were taught was to sell the foul...what lebron, wade, cp3, and a younger ginobili did/are doing is just disrespectful to the game and the fans. I really really hope one day a player will come along and just lay into these players and hurt them (besides ginobili cuz he's pretty old already and would probably cripple him) jusy to show them this is a man's game and that stuff won't be tolerated.

Chronz
05-26-2012, 03:18 PM

I doubt Red would have been too impressed...

Red Constructed teams, Phil merely went into already good situations...

Also while Phil Passed Red as far as COACHING titles go, He's still a ways away from reaching him in overall championships, Red Was either coached or constructed 16 seperate championship teams

Red Drafted the likes Of Russell,Jones, Bird, Havlicek, Cowens. Made one of the most lopesided trades in sports history in getting Parrish/McHale ect

There are 14 Hall of Famers who had extended Celtics careers thanks to either playing for, or being drafted by, Auerbach

Overall...16 titles in 30 Yrs for Red, Red>>>>>Phil
LOL you people need to stop revising history, lets not act like he did it solo, he had to be sold on lots of players by his scouts. He backed into Cooz and didn't like his flashy style to begin with. He thought Russel had a **** game at first. Do you know the kind of trust in your staff you have to have to ignore your gut instinct.

Red had the most talent when he won titles, I don't see whats so different with Phils titles as a coach. He may not have been the GM but he influenced roster decisions

Thats all I'm talking about. You can mention stuff outside that field and thats fine but to me it holds about as much relevance as Phil winning a chip as a player

Bruno
10-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I made this thread back in May 2012. With the new 'flopping' rules in place for the 2012-2013 season, I think this merits the rare and acceptable 'thread bump'. enjoy the video basketball fans.

what would Red have thought of the new rules?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Red was such a brilliant basketball mind, and I'm a Laker fan.

Much respect to Red, I wish if I was a player, he'd be my coach any day of the week.

asandhu23
10-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Red also tried to get Wilt Chamberlain to go to Harvard so he could draft him using territorial rights. clever bastard.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Red also tried to get Wilt Chamberlain to go to Harvard so he could draft him using territorial rights. clever bastard.

Territorial rights? Maybe I'm not familiar with how the NBA used to work back in the day. Can you explain what that means?

ThunderousDemon
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Red was such a brilliant basketball mind, and I'm a Laker fan.

Much respect to Red, I wish if I was a player, he'd be my coach any day of the week.

Too easy. :D

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Too easy. :D

Well obviously, Phil too. Both great basketball minds.

asandhu23
10-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Territorial rights? Maybe I'm not familiar with how the NBA used to work back in the day. Can you explain what that means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_territorial_pick

A territorial pick was a type of special draft choice used in the Basketball Association of America (BAA) Draft in 1949 and in the National Basketball Association (NBA) Draft after 1950, the year in which the BAA was renamed the NBA. In the draft, NBA teams took turns selecting amateur U.S. college basketball players. Territorial picks were eliminated when the draft system was revamped in 1966.[1][2]

In the first 20 years of the BAA/NBA, the league was still trying to gain the support of fans who lived in or near the team's home market. To achieve this, the league introduced the territorial pick rule to help teams acquire popular players from colleges in their area who would presumably have strong local support.[1] Before the draft, a team could forfeit its first-round draft pick and then select any player from within a 50-mile radius of its home arena.[2][3] Although the territorial picks were selected before the draft, these picks were not factored into the overall selection count of the draft; therefore, the first non-territorial pick of the draft was considered the first overall pick.[4]

basically that. Wilt mentions in his autobiography that Red tried to tell him to go to Harvard while he was at Overbrook.

JNA17
10-09-2012, 06:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_territorial_pick

A territorial pick was a type of special draft choice used in the Basketball Association of America (BAA) Draft in 1949 and in the National Basketball Association (NBA) Draft after 1950, the year in which the BAA was renamed the NBA. In the draft, NBA teams took turns selecting amateur U.S. college basketball players. Territorial picks were eliminated when the draft system was revamped in 1966.[1][2]

In the first 20 years of the BAA/NBA, the league was still trying to gain the support of fans who lived in or near the team's home market. To achieve this, the league introduced the territorial pick rule to help teams acquire popular players from colleges in their area who would presumably have strong local support.[1] Before the draft, a team could forfeit its first-round draft pick and then select any player from within a 50-mile radius of its home arena.[2][3] Although the territorial picks were selected before the draft, these picks were not factored into the overall selection count of the draft; therefore, the first non-territorial pick of the draft was considered the first overall pick.[4]

basically that. Wilt mentions in his autobiography that Red tried to tell him to go to Harvard while he was at Overbrook.

Can you imagine if we applied those tettorial rights in today's NBA and College basketball? Lakers and Clippers getting dibs on UCLA players lol.