PDA

View Full Version : Coaches dont vote for All-Defensive Teams. Why dont they care?

Chronz
05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
At least according to SI writer Zach Lowe
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/05/23/all-defensive-team/

Coaches are not allowed to vote for their players, so the anonymous Boozer backer is not Chicago’s Tom Thibodeau and may not be a head coach at all; some coaches have been known to farm out the voting to staff members.

So my suspicion may have some truth to it. Why would any coach not give a ****?

Has the time come for us to stop referencing All-D teams altogether? Or is making few bad choices not enough to throw away their credibility?

dnewguy
05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
The whole thing is a popularity contest. Rondo is a better defender than Paul but Paul is more popular, so guess who will get the votes?......you're right.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2012, 05:31 PM
I weigh the all defensive teams only slightly. I don't think there is any effort in the slightest put into the award, so I don't really care about it. It seems to have moved to reputation based, instead of really examining who the best defenders in any given year are.

Fukudome
05-23-2012, 05:35 PM
The fact that Boozer got a vote and Taj Gibson didn't irks me.

Raph12
05-23-2012, 05:35 PM
You have to take any result of a voting system with a grain of salt, there will always be debates, I mean how many of us can debate that Rose shouldn't have won MVP over Dwight/Lebron; or AI over Shaq in 2001... No system is flawless.

I'm more intrigued as to how accurate this article really is.

Chronz
05-23-2012, 05:36 PM
The whole thing is a popularity contest. Rondo is a better defender than Paul but Paul is more popular, so guess who will get the votes?......you're right.

But Rondo has made it ahead of Paul before and vice versa. So I dont think its about popularity and personally there is no discernible difference between CP3 and Rondo, Rondo has dropped off alot from his younger days, the real difference comes from comparing Iggy and CP3/Kobe. Iggy should have been a first teamer period.

dnewguy
05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
But Rondo has made it ahead of Paul before and vice versa. So I dont think its about popularity and personally there is no discernible difference between CP3 and Rondo, Rondo has dropped off alot from his younger days, the real difference comes from comparing Iggy and CP3/Kobe. Iggy should have been a first teamer period.

I agree with that but I also think the only time they give Rondo votes is when Paul is injured or has a terrible team.

llemon
05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
At least according to SI writer Zach Lowe
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/05/23/all-defensive-team/

So my suspicion may have some truth to it. Why would any coach not give a ****?

Has the time come for us to stop referencing All-D teams altogether? Or is making few bad choices not enough to throw away their credibility?

Better question is why would they give a ****?

You have to know that coaches feel they have enough to do without bothering about some meaningless voting on who's the best at this or that.

Chronz
05-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Better question is why would they give a ****?

Because the league entrusts them with this decision, otherwise lets just hand it over to the people who actually care to analyze these things, the media. According to Shane Battier they do a better job anyways. I concur with his opinion.

You have to know that coaches feel they have enough to do without bothering about some meaningless voting on who's the best at this or that.

Its not suppose to be meaningless, they have rendered it less and less credible with their decisions.

Raph12
05-23-2012, 06:20 PM

I agree, but considering the fact that Ibaka finished 2nd in the DPOY selection (Iggy finished 7th in voting), who is to say that Iggy would've been selected by the media voters for the first team?

llemon
05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Because the league entrusts them with this decision, otherwise lets just hand it over to the people who actually care to analyze these things, the media. According to Shane Battier they do a better job anyways. I concur with his opinion.

Its not suppose to be meaningless, they have rendered it less and less credible with their decisions.

You're a dreamer, aren't you Chronz?

GrumpyOldMan
05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I look at the voting for the All Defensive Team the same way as I look at the gold glove voting in baseball. The system is flawed and if they dont get voters for these awards that take them seriously they should just get rid of these awards alltogether.

Swashcuff
05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Good call Chronz your suspicion was indeed true.

I wonder to myself if that person who voted for Boozer was a comedian or an absolute genius. I mean by making such an asinine vote it would clearly point out the inconsistencies in these voting processes and the exact reason as to why these individuals shouldn't be voting if they aren't going to be reprimanded for it.