PDA

View Full Version : Blocks and Steals

JasonJohnHorn
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I remember back when Robinson and Hakeem were playing, and guys like Stocton and Alvin Robertson, the leaders in blocks used to be between 4-5 a game, and the leader in steals between 3-4 a game, but lately, it seems a miracle to get a guy that even comes near touching those numbers. Ibaka got 3.7 blocks, which is the highest number since 99! And 99 was a sub par year. Dikembe and Robinson and Hakeem used to easily block over 4 a game and an average like 3.7 per might only get you in the top five. It seems the same with steals. Stockton and Robertson used to get 3 or more steals per game.

Are there just fewer possessions in the game these days? Or do they just not make them like they used to? I think it may be a bit of both.

Heatcheck
05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
they were able to be more physical in those days. armbars, handchecks, and just overall more contact was allowed. its really the rule changes.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2012, 02:30 PM
pace has a lot to do with it.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1983&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=18&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=blk_pct

Ibaka just put forth the 5th best season in block percentage since 1982.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=18&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=stl_pct

Tony Allen just had the 9th best season since 1982 in steal percentage last year.

Pace.

JasonJohnHorn
05-23-2012, 04:06 PM
pace has a lot to do with it.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1983&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=18&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=blk_pct

Ibaka just put forth the 5th best season in block percentage since 1982.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=18&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=stl_pct

Tony Allen just had the 9th best season since 1982 in steal percentage last year.

Pace.

Those are some interesting stats... how do they work out the percentages exactly? Don't mean to sound stupid... but I've noticed a lot of people talk about rebounding percentages and such and was just curious.

Hellcrooner
05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I remember back when Robinson and Hakeem were playing, and guys like Stocton and Alvin Robertson, the leaders in blocks used to be between 4-5 a game, and the leader in steals between 3-4 a game, but lately, it seems a miracle to get a guy that even comes near touching those numbers. Ibaka got 3.7 blocks, which is the highest number since 99! And 99 was a sub par year. Dikembe and Robinson and Hakeem used to easily block over 4 a game and an average like 3.7 per might only get you in the top five. It seems the same with steals. Stockton and Robertson used to get 3 or more steals per game.

Are there just fewer possessions in the game these days? Or do they just not make them like they used to? I think it may be a bit of both.

thats before stern decided that the guards have to shine to have a succesfull league and thus you cant breath on them

Hawkeye15
05-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Those are some interesting stats... how do they work out the percentages exactly? Don't mean to sound stupid... but I've noticed a lot of people talk about rebounding percentages and such and was just curious.

the percentage of possessions player A gets that stat. Meaning, if you have a 30% assist rate, you assist on 30% of the possessions for your team that you played.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2012, 04:12 PM
thats before stern decided that the guards have to shine to have a succesfull league and thus you cant breath on them

Does Alvin "rip your arm off" Robertson lead the league in steals today?

JasonJohnHorn
05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Does Alvin "rip your arm off" Robertson lead the league in steals today?

I used to love watching that guy play. The only guard to ever get a 4D game, and only player to get a 4D with steals! He was a special player... I was bummed when I heard he was involved with a kidnapping/child sex slave thing? That was fawked up. As a player though... he put up some special numbers.

Raph12
05-23-2012, 04:52 PM
It's the pace and changing of the game... Let me put it this way; Hakeem had a career-high of 7% blocking rate and eclipsed 6% in four different seasons; DRob similarly had a career-high of 7.4% and eclipsed the 6% mark in four different seasons. This season, Ibaka had a near-NBA record of 9.8% blocking rate (only surpassed by Manute Bol and Alonzo Mourning) and six other players had a near/higher than 6% blocking rate.

If you adjust the stats, the comparison isn't very significant.