PDA

View Full Version : How much control does the draft lottery have over the Nets and the D12/D8?

AMushroomStamp
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
how much control do you guys think the outcome of the lottery will have on the nets, williams, howard, and the nba as a whole?

from my perspective, the magic are ready to start from scratch, they fired everyone, and you arent going to build a contender in time for the trade deadline(where they will surely say to howard "extend with us or be traded away")

no matter who you bring in, walsh, sloan, jackson, it doesnt matter, you arent going to be able to build a contender with that team, because of obvious reasons: lack of cap space, bad contracts, and lack of young talent to acquire somebody that will entice howard to stay

so lets assume that the magic are smart enough to realize this, and decide to trade howard now.

the best package they could possibly get would be one with bynum in it, and maybe a jordan hill and future picks

the 2nd best package they could get would be from the nets which would include he 2012 pick, brooks, lopez, and proably future picks

but what a few people dont realise is that the nets are in big trouble if they dont land that top 3 pick and are allowed to keep it. if they fall out of the top 3, the pick goes to portland

if the pick goes to portland, then they have no assets to acquire howard, if they dont acquire howard, williams doesnt stay, if williams doesnt stay, you have no young talent to use for that season outside of brooks and lopez and you will be a lottery team again, dont be a lottery team, switch to DirecTV

do you guys agree with this thought process?

BALLER R
05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Nothing will happen until draft night. That's my belief I feel everyone is waiting to see who gets what pick and then who the potential top 5 might be.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Didn't realize that about the Nets pick. That will make it very interesting.

D12 fan
05-23-2012, 01:18 PM
If they Nets get a top 3 pick Dwight will be a Net,it's as simple as that.

macc
05-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Just as simple as Dwight would be a Net before trade deadline 2012. lol

dowork495
05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
if the nets get a top 3 pick they can potentially have dwill and dwight going into brooklyn, if they dont, they have no superstar and will have to rely on lopez hump brooks and whatever else they can scrap up in free agency

AMushroomStamp
05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
if the nets get a top 3 pick they can potentially have dwill and dwight going into brooklyn, if they dont, they have no superstar and will have to rely on lopez hump brooks and whatever else they can scrap up in free agency

my exact thinking

not to mention they probably lose wallace if williams doesnt return

torocan
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that.

#1 would most likely be Carter. You don't need Dwight if you have Carter. Younger, healthier, and dirt cheap to boot.

So, if it's #1, do the Nets even bother trading for Dwight? Then what does DWill do?

If it's #2/3, they have picks to trade, but they're still killing the roster since other teams will likely offer similar or larger offers for Dwight. Even if the Nets can pull off the trade, how much will they need to give up and do they decide to pass entirely?

So yah, the lottery has a pretty big impact. So does the assets available on other teams.

Finally, DWill has said he wants to settle his FA by the time the Olympics starts in case he gets injured. July 1 is the start of FA. July 5 is the start of scrimmaging. And the Olympics don't start long after that.

Expect the news to be fast and furious this FA season.

AMushroomStamp
05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that.

#1 would most likely be Carter. You don't need Dwight if you have Carter. Younger, healthier, and dirt cheap to boot.

So, if it's #1, do the Nets even bother trading for Dwight? Then what does DWill do?

If it's #2/3, they have picks to trade, but they're still killing the roster since other teams will likely offer similar or larger offers for Dwight. Even if the Nets can pull off the trade, how much will they need to give up and do they decide to pass entirely?

So yah, the lottery has a pretty big impact. So does the assets available on other teams.

Finally, DWill has said he wants to settle his FA by the time the Olympics starts in case he gets injured. July 1 is the start of FA. July 5 is the start of scrimmaging. And the Olympics don't start long after that.

Expect the news to be fast and furious this FA season.

what? Vince carter or Aaron carter? thats how i beat shaq? :confused:

Raph12
05-23-2012, 02:40 PM
The Nets' pick would go a long way if they indeed land a top 3 pick in the lottery... DWill staying vs leaving will be even more interesting though, it may decide Dwight's fate as well.

cwesleyf
05-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Net fans find it hard to see any scenario that does not end up with Dwight going to the Nets. They think Brook Lopez is a better choice than Andrew Bynum in a trade with the Magic. The fact is the Nets are unlikely to get a top three pick in the lottery. That pick will end up going to the Trailblazers.

JerseysFinest
05-23-2012, 04:16 PM
It has been reported multiple times recently that although the results of next week's lottery are important to the organization, it doesn't actually dictate whether or not Deron remains with the Nets or not. As long as their front office adds players that will help the team win before free agency begins, he'll more than likely stay in Brooklyn. Also, even if the Nets miss out on D12, it does not necessarily mean Deron is gone either.

JerseysFinest
05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Net fans find it hard to see any scenario that does not end up with Dwight going to the Nets. They think Brook Lopez is a better choice than Andrew Bynum in a trade with the Magic. The fact is the Nets are unlikely to get a top three pick in the lottery. That pick will end up going to the Trailblazers.

Very interesting.

It is nice to know there is someone on PSD that can tell the future.

iseelahk
05-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Tend to agree.

iseelahk
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
If Nets lose Williams and Wallace, they will go down as the worst FA in years.

They would have squandered like 6 1st round picks not including D Favors?

MagicBucsSox
05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
There's a difference between nets landing the #1 pick and the 2or 3 pick. You think Orlando will trade for the 2 or 3 pick? TRob/Beal/Drummond(bum). I don't.

uprightciti
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
i have been saying this all along!

if the nets get a top 3 pick he is headed to bk

but what people are not talking about is what if the bobcats and presumably get the #1 pick (Davis) and Patrick Ewing is the head coach

who is to say they dont trade Davis and Maggette for Howard to the Magic????

Davis to the Magic
Dwight to the Bobcats

I think that might actually lure Dwill out of BK and perhaps down to the Bobcats with Howard
and then you could always Sign and Trade DJ Augustine to a team looking for a PG
imagine a Bobcat roster like this...

PG: Dwill, Kemba
SG:
SF:
PF:
C: Howard, Bismack

I am just saying thats not out of the question and nobody is talking about it at all!

Chill_Will_24
05-23-2012, 04:46 PM
A lot. the Nets did themselves no favors with that deal. It was a dumb trade then and its even worse now. Their only saving grace is that Dwight desperately wants to be in Brooklyn.

The Nets will have to pray that the lottery is rigged for them cuz they wont get Dwight without that pick.

Chill_Will_24
05-23-2012, 04:47 PM
There's a difference between nets landing the #1 pick and the 2or 3 pick. You think Orlando will trade for the 2 or 3 pick? TRob/Beal/Drummond(bum). I don't.

They will.

Rockice_8
05-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Wait the OP think that Bynum and maybe Hill and picks are better then a top 3 picks, Brooks, Lopez, and more picks. I'd say that blows the Lakers offer out of the water.

As a few have already stated if the Nets get a top 3 pick Dwight should be a Net. Again I thought he was clearly gonna be a Net as a FA this year so crazy things can happen. If they get #1 then it would be really interesting to see if they even have to include Lopez or if they even trade it cause many think the brow will be better then Dwight.

waveycrockett
05-23-2012, 05:08 PM

Between one of those guys thats way better than anything they would get if they decided to deal him as a rental plus deal with that circus again next year or lose him in FA for NOTHING

Raph12
05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Let's just imagine the Nets lose the top 3 pick, then DWill and GForce walk via free agency... Damn lol, nothing left to take to Brooklyn.

MagicBucsSox
05-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Between one of those guys thats way better than anything they would get if they decided to deal him as a rental plus deal with that circus again next year or lose him in FA for NOTHING

That's a DUMB POST. Houston can give up two picks and offer a roster& cap relief , GSW the same. So what the hell u posting about dude

homestarunner93
05-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Yeah right, the league loves the idea of the superstar teams. You can bet on the Nets getting a top 3 pick, maybe even the first pick.

JOhnnyTHaJet
05-23-2012, 05:49 PM
What everyone ALWAYS forgets is that Howard has to want to sign an extension with your team before you trade all those assets away. From all indications, Howard doesn't want to be a Laker, He wants to be a Net, and Net only, unless things fall completely out of place.

I'll keep repeating myself in every Howard thread, you can think up any phenomenal trade you want, if Howard isn't sign anything, its meaningless.

So to answer this thread, no I don't think a top 3 pick makes that big of a difference, it could make it much easier for the Nets, but ultimately the outcome will be the same.

D12 fan
05-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Do you think any Dwight trade is fair?

5ass
05-23-2012, 05:56 PM
so without taking into consideration that Stern wants to create a superteam and brooklyn being a big market and whatever else people are suggesting that will alter the lottery, how much chance (percentage wise) do the nets have of getting a top 3 pick?

D12 fan
05-23-2012, 05:58 PM
i have been saying this all along!

if the nets get a top 3 pick he is headed to bk

but what people are not talking about is what if the bobcats and presumably get the #1 pick (Davis) and Patrick Ewing is the head coach

who is to say they dont trade Davis and Maggette for Howard to the Magic????

Davis to the Magic
Dwight to the Bobcats

I think that might actually lure Dwill out of BK and perhaps down to the Bobcats with Howard
and then you could always Sign and Trade DJ Augustine to a team looking for a PG
imagine a Bobcat roster like this...

PG: Dwill, Kemba
SG:
SF:
PF:
C: Howard, Bismack

I am just saying thats not out of the question and nobody is talking about it at all!

I would LMAO if that happens.

RLundi
05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Do you think any Dwight trade is fair?

With Dwight's back injury, maybe.

wmudford
05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
If the Nets land #1 I expect them to keep it and draft Davis. I'm sure once that happens D8 is going to re-up with them. Then they leave it in D12's hands. He can sign somewhere else or wait it out one more year and form a big three. D8/Davis/D12. If he doesn't come they still have lots of cap flexibility to build a contender.

JerseysFinest
05-23-2012, 06:00 PM
so without taking into consideration that Stern wants to create a superteam and brooklyn being a big market and whatever else people are suggesting that will alter the lottery, how much chance (percentage wise) do the nets have of getting a top 3 pick?
You could literally take any lottery team's situation and spin it and say the lottery is rigged. (ex. If Sac wins, helps in creating more buzz for the team and increases sales, if New Orleans wins, they'll say it was because Tom Benson bought the team and it was a gift, if Charlotte wins, they'll say Jordan never had a solid player to build the franchise around and Stern helped him out.)

5ass
05-23-2012, 06:01 PM
That's a DUMB POST. Houston can give up two picks and offer a roster& cap relief , GSW the same. So what the hell u posting about dude

give me brooks, lopez, and a top 3 pick over GS and Houstons offers. Lets not forget that for GS and Houston offers to work they're going to want to keep some good players to convince dwight to stay. Brooks has potential to be a top 10 SG, Lopez has potential to be a top 10 C, and a top 3 pick would be a great starting point for rebuilding.

DoMeFavors
05-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Has no control Deron will be a Net next year.

5ass
05-23-2012, 06:02 PM
You could literally take any lottery team's situation and spin it and say the lottery is rigged. (ex. If Sac wins, helps in creating more buzz for the team and increases sales, if New Orleans wins, they'll say it was because Tom Benson bought the team and it was a gift, if Charlotte wins, they'll say Jordan never had a solid player to build the franchise around and Stern helped him out.)

im not suggesting anything here, all i asked is what percentage do the nets have in obtaining a top 3 pick?

RLundi
05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Has no control Deron will be a Net next year.

Based on...? Hopes and dreams and fingers crossed?

JerseysFinest
05-23-2012, 06:07 PM
im not suggesting anything here, all i asked is what percentage do the nets have in obtaining a top 3 pick?

7.6% chance for the top pick
25.5% chance for a top 3 pick

JOhnnyTHaJet
05-23-2012, 06:10 PM

It's something like 25.5% at a top 3 pick, I believe I read that somewhere.

JOhnnyTHaJet
05-23-2012, 06:11 PM

And there you go...

5ass
05-23-2012, 06:14 PM

thanks.

cwesleyf
05-25-2012, 09:32 AM
I still think an Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard trade works best for the Magic. They are a team built around the center position. Bynum would fit in that position much better than Brook Lopez. He is a better rebounder and shot blocker, thus a better defensive player. No additional players included in a trade to Orlando would improve Lopez as a defender. The Magic should focus on acquiring Bynum if they end up trading Dwight. Bynum>Lopez. Orlando would win more games with Bynum than with Lopez.

imagesrdecievin
05-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I still think an Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard trade works best for the Magic. They are a team built around the center position. Bynum would fit in that position much better than Brook Lopez. He is a better rebounder and shot blocker, thus a better defensive player. No additional players included in a trade to Orlando would improve Lopez as a defender. The Magic should focus on acquiring Bynum if they end up trading Dwight. Bynum>Lopez. Orlando would win more games with Bynum than with Lopez.

It has to be considered that Bynum would only be under their control for one season. Does the trade still make sense if Bynum leaves after one season?

lkingratedr
05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
People are forgetting that if the nets get the second or 3rd pick they can still trade up for the first
w

blackrob202
05-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Billy King is a joke of a GM. I dreaded the news when I heard he was our GM. He had Philly looking wack for years, never being able to get a big to go with AI. And now he has screwed us royally. what was the reasoning behind making the wallace trade, especially since he had a player option not team to pick up, and then to not have the draft pick lott protected. WHAT AN IDIOT. I can only pray that we get the top 3 pick, otherwise we might be done before we get started

imagesrdecievin
05-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Billy King is a joke of a GM. I dreaded the news when I heard he was our GM. He had Philly looking wack for years, never being able to get a big to go with AI. And now he has screwed us royally. what was the reasoning behind making the wallace trade, especially since he had a player option not team to pick up, and then to not have the draft pick lott protected. WHAT AN IDIOT. I can only pray that we get the top 3 pick, otherwise we might be done before we get started

The AI years were before the era of superfriends. And the current Sixer squad that is going to game 7 with Boston has his fingerprints all over it.

He has proven to be a very good at finding talent in the draft outside of the lottery. He needs to redeem himself as far as handing out FA contracts.

He definitely isn't the best GM but he certainly isn't the worst either.