PDA

View Full Version : Haslem's flagrant 1 a missed call?

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Was Haslem's hard foul worthy of a flagrant 2? It was a hard foul, but an obvious retaliation for Tyler's hard foul previously. Are we okay with old school basketball, or is did Miami get off easy on an obvious flagrant 2?

Disclaimer: Simply a question, do not start fights, I closed another thread that was opened with intent, this is meant for discussion only.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
I believe it was called correctly:shrug:

rwynyc
05-22-2012, 09:49 PM
i turned on the game during the half. Was there any reason he did that?

Hoopsadvocate
05-22-2012, 09:49 PM
If hansboroughs foul was a flagrant 2 i would agree haslems should have been too. BUt it wasnt and i think thats the refs logic as well seeing as how they saw wade was bleeding as a result as well meanwhile when haslem fould it didnt even have nearly as bad as an effect.

Horrible bias a lot of people have that they forget Granger has been threating and provokin fights all series and Almundson elbows a player and then hansborough hits wade in the face yet its a heat players foul that gets questioned/?

Do you see how foolish and hateful some of you sound. Really calls into question your basketball knowledge.

Sactown
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
It was clearly not a play on the ball, but it he's lucky he didn't catch him in the face.. he practically slapped his arms with 2 arms.. so I think it was appropriate

Sly Guy
bad call. Old school basketball is fine, but you have to make a play at the ball.

dnewguy
O boy...haters everywhere tonight. My Hampster won't even let me carry him tonight, just jumping all over the place anticipating a Pacer win.

amos1er
05-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Was Haslem's hard foul worthy of a flagrant 2? It was a hard foul, but an obvious retaliation for Tyler's hard foul previously. Are we okay with old school basketball, or is did Miami get off easy on an obvious flagrant 2?

Disclaimer: Simply a question, do not start fights, I closed another thread that was opened with intent, this is meant for discussion only.

I was just about to start another thread with a less argumentative title. Here is the foul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyMa12JM-c

Obviously a flagrant 2 and Miami got a huge break.

I'm sure every Lebron/Heat fan will agree that the right call was made and everyone else with a working pair of eyes will say that it should have been a flagrant 2.

Randy West
05-22-2012, 09:53 PM
According to the rules it was a flagrant two, no matter what happened prior or who was involved!
Not sure why these refs that do this all the time have such a problem interpreting the rules of the games they do all season long!

Hustla23
05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Hansbrough actually got his entire hand on the ball when he made the play on Wade.

Haslem directly went towards Hansbrough's head.

No question that it's a flagrant 2.

4 POINT PLAY LJ
05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
What can you do, refs getting paid 2 million + bribes, can expect them to make every call

Underdogz∞
05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
What can you do, refs getting paid 2 million + bribes, can expect them to make every call

:laugh2: Lets go Heat!

thekmp211
05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
i think it was a flagrant 2 for sure. might see a suspension? they definitely missed something.

smith&wesson
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
the calls have been soo inconsistent

tmacsc2
05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
According to the rules it was a flagrant two, no matter what happened prior or who was involved!
Not sure why these refs that do this all the time have such a problem interpreting the rules of the games they do all season long!

yupppppp.....thank you!

Hoopsadvocate
05-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Hansbrough actually got his entire hand on the ball when he made the play on Wade.

what the hell were u watching?? Haslems got his arm/shoulder more than anything and hansborough got just as much of wades face as the ball.

I hope your not that ignorant and think that hansborough was really going fore the ball if he was hed do like every defender and swipe across or just keep ur hand up for the block nobody swipes DOWN cause they know they risk swiping a face.

Haslem intentions were clear he tried to do the same thing hansborough did and that is disguise a hard foul as a play on defense. Unfortunatley for him unlike hasnboruoughs play he wasnt lucky enough to get the ball along with the players face, but he got mostly shoulder and arm but a lot of hard body contact.

dnewguy
05-22-2012, 10:08 PM
I hope Chicago will trade Rose for Norris Cole.....so they can rebuild.

Randy West
05-22-2012, 10:09 PM
So much for not fighting about it

Made page two at least

Hoopsadvocate
i hope chicago will trade rose for norris cole.....so they can rebuild.

lmao

Hawkeye15
I was just about to start another thread with a less argumentative title. Here is the foul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyMa12JM-c

Obviously a flagrant 2 and Miami got a huge break.

I'm sure every Lebron/Heat fan will agree that the right call was made and everyone else with a working pair of eyes will say that it should have been a flagrant 2.

You know I am a Bron fan, but yes, in today's NBA I think that is a flagrant 2.

amos1er
Should have been an ejection plus a 1 game suspension, just like when Wade should have been ejected for almost tackling Collison. Now lets see if they even suspend him for it.

Randy West
05-22-2012, 10:10 PM
what the hell were u watching?? Haslems got his arm/shoulder more than anything and hansborough got just as much of wades face as the ball.

I hope your not that ignorant and think that hansborough was really going fore the ball if he was hed do like every defender and swipe across or just keep ur hand up for the block nobody swipes DOWN cause they know they risk swiping a face.

Haslem intentions were clear he tried to do the same thing hansborough did and that is disguise a hard foul as a play on defense. Unfortunatley for him unlike hasnboruoughs play he wasnt lucky enough to get the ball along with the players face, but he got mostly shoulder and arm but a lot of hard body contact.

If you can't read the rule and figure out the difference no one will convince you so just drop it already!

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
I think Haslem will get 1 game.

69centers
05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Miami's up big. Haslem should be suspended for Game 6, but it may be irrelevant in deciding the outcome. If Indiana can squeak out Game 6 at home, it may become a huge play in the series.

He would have been better off that they call it a flagrant two and ejected, because they don't need him in this game.

I think he should be suspended for Game 6. Just because it didn't draw blood, doesn't make it right. He never went for the ball.

SeoulBeatz
05-22-2012, 10:14 PM
I think it's a flagrant 2, but meh, not a terrible call with a flagrant 1.

It was clearly a retaliation blow, which should have made the foul worse, but whatever.

Yankeefan213
05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
I would be shocked if he is playing in game 6. But did anyone else think hansboroughs foul on wade was not that bad? He had the ball but his follow through hit wade in the face. It did not look intentional to me.

Hoopsadvocate
05-22-2012, 10:16 PM
If you can't read the rule and figure out the difference no one will convince you so just drop it already!

your the one who cant figure it out my friend. I understand what your reading but just like with everything you read you have to read while also taking into account the situation.

Because if u go word for word by the rule then technically speaking everytime a players gets wrapped up and held on their way up for a layup (like many times lebron is wrapped up by a smaller guard on his way to the rim when he gets a break away)

Then that is not a play on the ball if someone just hugs u and wrapps u up so if its technically unneccesary that makes it a tech 1 by ur logic right? so everyone who wrapps up a player isnt making a play on the ball and deserves a tech!!

Of course not because u have to go by the sitatuion even if it technically fits the definition.

LA_Raiders
05-22-2012, 10:17 PM
The Refs missed for the Cheat, Suspend his *** 1 game to cool him down...

ThunderousDemon
He'll probably be suspended for one game as he should be

Slug3
Back in the day that Haslem foul would have been considered soft, lol.

TheNumber37
05-22-2012, 10:24 PM
The NBA really wants a game 7 here.

Randy West
05-22-2012, 10:24 PM
your the one who cant figure it out my friend. I understand what your reading but just like with everything you read you have to read while also taking into account the situation.

Because if u go word for word by the rule then technically speaking everytime a players gets wrapped up and held on their way up for a layup (like many times lebron is wrapped up by a smaller guard on his way to the rim when he gets a break away)

Then that is not a play on the ball if someone just hugs u and wrapps u up so if its technically unneccesary that makes it a tech 1 by ur logic right? so everyone who wrapps up a player isnt making a play on the ball and deserves a tech!!

Of course not because u have to go by the sitatuion even if it technically fits the definition.

Glad you brought up each situation, you know in one where the guy actually went for the ball and got it. The other in which a player went for another players head, face, arm, anything but the ball and got it.

So now you want to compare wrapping a guy up with going for another players head. Those are two different situations as well but you would penalize those the same I am guessing?

theheatles
05-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Hansboroughs hit on Wade was worse and did much worse damage, he hit wade in the head then face raked. haslem probably used more force but he got mostly shoulder and arm with a grazing of the head but he clearly didnt target head

Marques24kobe
05-22-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how World Peace got a flagrant 1 last night when he was between the player and the basket and had his whole right hand on the basketball.

So my point is I don't know if it's a flagrant 2. It changes constantly.

But from the video it looks like he wasn't even thinking about blocking the ball. He was trying to hurt and or make a statement.

John Walls Era
05-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Flagrant 1 seems about right. Maybe if Hansbrough would've milked it a bit, then I could see the refs call flagrant 2. I don't wanna say who, but theres 1 player who was in the playoffs that would've laid there dead until a flagrant 2 was called.

Hoopsadvocate
05-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Glad you brought up each situation, you know in one where the guy actually went for the ball and got it. The other in which a player went for another players head, face, arm, anything but the ball and got it.

So now you want to compare wrapping a guy up with going for another players head. Those are two different situations as well but you would penalize those the same I am guessing?

If you clearly read i say tech1 for wrapping them up if u go by stictly what is printed in the rules as u said. Not saying that should be a flag 2.

My point is u cant just blindly go by the rules. haslems foul was hard and technically excessive like the rules say is a flagrant 2 but as my point tries to claim u cant go simply blindly by the writtent rule as haslem went up with both arms when hansborough went up for a shot and he did not swing or elbow he came down hard with both arms and they hit his shoulders/arms and with great force, therefor not as bad as a flagrant 2 warrants, but still unnecessary so as to be called a flagrant 1

Raps18-19 Champ
05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Flagrant 2.

There doesn't need to be a lot of damage for it to be a flagrant 2.

Kashmir13579
05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Flagrant 1 is fair... JVG would say its a no-call lmfao.

hornetsfansydne
05-22-2012, 10:45 PM
My opinion of the play was Hansborough deserved the flagrant 1 even though he did make a play for the ball, the amount of contact he created was too much.

Haslem deserved to be ejected, made no attempt whatsoever to go for the ball but I can see why it was called a flagrant 1 for consistency's sake

kdspurman
05-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Miami could be without him and Pittman for game 6. 2 dirty plays tbh...

Hustla23
I wish Hansbrough would have laid on the floor for 8 minutes like Wade did.

Instead, he just popped back up.

Maybe Haslem would have gotten thrown out.

Blitzbolt
It was a clean Block.

I'm glad he did it protect your guys.

dodie53
05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
good hard foul

leftymo
05-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Haslem will be suspended for 1 game, and that other no-namer should miss 5 games... that isn't a basketball move, and is just as violent as Metta World Peace's elbow... but he doesn't have the history.

I'm guessing the Heat get nothing b/c only the Lakers get punished in this league.

Jay16
05-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Okay try this people.

Let say the Haslem foul went first and then the foul from Hansborough on Wade took place. We clearly would be saying that the foul on Wade was retaliatory. Same fouls on 2 seperate players.
If one was not a flagrant 2 then the other was not either.

Yankee Clipper
05-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Should have been a flagrant 2.

Jay16
05-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Haslem will be suspended for 1 game, and that other no-namer should miss 5 games... that isn't a basketball move, and is just as violent as Metta World Peace's elbow... but he doesn't have the history.

I'm guessing the Heat get nothing b/c only the Lakers get punished in this league.

wah wah wah wahhhhhhhh sob. wahhhhhh.

Maybe if you didn't have a bipolar moron on your team trying to harm people then maybe your players would miss less time.

naps
05-22-2012, 11:20 PM

Good luck with that.

ty_smitty21
05-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Haslem and Pittman both could and should be suspended for game 6. If not, they need to change the wording in the rules.

ty_smitty21
05-22-2012, 11:22 PM
wah wah wah wahhhhhhhh sob. wahhhhhh.

Are you imitating the Heat players every time they don't get a foul call. If so... good job... I could barely tell the difference.

torocan
05-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Hansborough was a borderline flagrant 1/2, but he DID make a play on the ball.

Haslem was clearly a Flagrant 2. NO play on the ball, used BOTH hands instead of one hand, went directly for his Shoulders and Head, and followed through with both arms.

Pittman was clearly a Flagrant 2. Elbow to the throat with NO play on the ball.

Heat fans better PRAY that Haslem and Pittman both get upgrades to Flagrant 2's and suspended, or don't be surprised if Indiana doesn't go out of it's way to deliberately injure Lebron or Wade with Hard Fouls.

And if you thought that Hansborough got away with a light Flagrant, then you have NO idea what's going to happen in Indiana when they get Home court calls if the NBA doesn't clean this crap up.

Pyhhric Victory. Look it up.

BALLER R
05-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Haslems foul and Pittmans foul were both flagrant 2 fouls. But since this is miami nothing will probably happen. That elbow pittman did reminded me of the one bynum threw on barea.

RCarlson85
05-22-2012, 11:26 PM
I think after the first flagrant foul on Wade was only ruled a flagrant 1, that it set the precedent. If Haslem's foul was on it's own, I think it could have easily been a flagrant 2. That may not be right, but if one gets suspended a game I think they both deserve it. They were both borderline in my opinion.

justinnum1
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
haslem will get fined, pittman suspended for 4 games and indy will watch what they say next time.

BALLER R
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Hansborough was a borderline flagrant 1/2, but he DID make a play on the ball.

Haslem was clearly a Flagrant 2. NO play on the ball, used BOTH hands instead of one hand, went directly for his Shoulders and Head, and followed through with both arms.

Pittman was clearly a Flagrant 2. Elbow to the throat with NO play on the ball.

Heat fans better PRAY that Haslem and Pittman both get upgrades to Flagrant 2's and suspended, or don't be surprised if Indiana doesn't go out of it's way to deliberately injure Lebron or Wade with Hard Fouls.

And if you thought that Hansborough got away with a light Flagrant, then you have NO idea what's going to happen in Indiana when they get Home court calls if the NBA doesn't clean this crap up.

Pyhhric Victory. Look it up.

This heat fans try to be neutral for a second. I really don't wanna see that. I rather Indiana just beat them. But if nothing Happens Indiana will be pissed off and especially if the heat look like they will win the game I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fight. Trust me This series is already heated. Game 6 will be crazy.

D1JM
05-22-2012, 11:31 PM
@AlexKennedyNBA
Doctors are evaluating Lance Stephenson. He's getting x-rays and a concussion test. He may have a broken collarbone, says Danny Granger

‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Roy Hibbert: "LeBron and D-Wade aren't responding to our physical play. They're sending other people to do it."

next game will get nasty

RCarlson85
I wish Hansbrough would have laid on the floor for 8 minutes like Wade did.

Instead, he just popped back up.

Maybe Haslem would have gotten thrown out.

You don't think the effect of a flagrant foul when it's a PF on a guard is going to be greater than when it's involving two PFs? Also I didn't see Hansbrough bleeding after being fouled. I wouldn't expect anything less than *****ing and whining from a Knicks fan though.

Arch Stanton
It looked intentional. Not sure if it was excessive enough to be flagrant 2. As long as there's consistency with calls for both sides it shouldn't be an issue. It also shouldn't be an issue since the Heat blew out the Pacers.

Lakers + Giants
05-22-2012, 11:32 PM
If Artest or Bynum did it they would've received a game suspension and obviously a flagrant 2.

Teeboy1487
05-22-2012, 11:33 PM
SMH. The NBA is a ****ing joke. No way Haslem should have continued. That was clearly a retaliation.

RCarlson85
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
If Artest or Bynum did it they would've received a game suspension and obviously a flagrant 2.

That's what happens when you have a reputation for these types of plays. That may not be right, but when you keep committing fouls like they have in the past few seasons they're just putting more of a target on themselves.

Draco
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
It's unacceptable for the Lebron to have any less help going forward than has right now. Therefore it must be a flagrant 1.

torocan
05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
I think after the first flagrant foul on Wade was only ruled a flagrant 1, that it set the precedent. If Haslem's foul was on it's own, I think it could have easily been a flagrant 2. That may not be right, but if one gets suspended a game I think they both deserve it. They were both borderline in my opinion.

The difference is Haslem was clearly retaliation. If it was a hard foul where he was making a play on the ball and just "happened" to stiff arm him, it would have been a flagrant 1. A rough flagrant 1, but a flagrant 1.

Retaliation should be an auto-suspension.

Game 6 is going to be brutal if the NBA doesn't fix the situation fast.

GottaLoveCubs
05-22-2012, 11:39 PM
It looked intentional. Not sure if it was excessive enough to be flagrant 2. As long as there's consistency with calls for both sides it shouldn't be an issue. It also shouldn't be an issue since the Heat blew out the Pacers.

But a that point they weren't blowing them out. It was a 7pt game. You lose probably the only solid backup for a position early in the game, anything can happen after that.

The Flash
05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
was amudesn high 5ing hansbrough after his foul on Wade?

kblo247
05-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Flagrant 2 because he could have separated the guys shoulder from its socket and looked like that was his goal? Haslem has to aim at the ball or at least pretend too for that to be flagrant 1 under the rules.

RCarlson85
05-22-2012, 11:43 PM
The difference is Haslem was clearly retaliation. If it was a hard foul where he was making a play on the ball and just "happened" to stiff arm him, it would have been a flagrant 1. A rough flagrant 1, but a flagrant 1.

Retaliation should be an auto-suspension.

Game 6 is going to be brutal if the NBA doesn't fix the situation fast.

It doesn't matter, Hansbrough fouled Wade just as hard and got more face/head. The precedent had been set. They had to be consistent in calling both fouls a flagrant 1.

torocan
05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
It doesn't matter, Hansbrough fouled Wade just as hard and got more face/head. The precedent had been set. They had to be consistent in calling both fouls a flagrant 1.

It was consistent. If Haslem made a play on the ball, it would have been a flagrant 1 most likely.

Haslem didn't even pretend to make a play on the ball which is why it's worse.

And if the reports are correct, that Stevenson has a broken collar bone and possible concussion and Pittman and Haslem don't end up suspended, if you think this series was physical before, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Lakers + Giants
05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
That's what happens when you have a reputation for these types of plays. That may not be right, but when you keep committing fouls like they have in the past few seasons they're just putting more of a target on themselves.

Which is stupid. Because they let players get away with **** since it's their first time doing it. Might as well tell a player that has never been suspended to hurt another player because he'll be forgiven since it's gonna be his 1st time. .

bmd1101
05-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Um no. http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html#Flagrant_Fouls

The logic escapes you.

natelpete
05-23-2012, 12:27 AM

You might want to rewatch that. I like the Haslem foul. Not so much the Pittman one.

First people were *****ing about how soft the game is, now they complain about flagrants. Make up you minds

justinnum1
05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
You might want to rewatch that. I like the Haslem foul. Not so much the Pittman one.

First people were *****ing about how soft the game is, now they complain about flagrants. Make up you minds

Mostly becuase they were wearing a heat jersey, if they were wearing a pacers uniform all would be well.

JC_
05-23-2012, 12:37 AM
TBH I don't think it should have been a flagrant 2. Pittman's definately but not Haslem's imo. He atleast went for the arm that had the ball in it. We see people do that all the time just not usually as hard or as close to the head. The league is hardly ever consistent but I think they will look at where the series is headed and make their decision from there.

I'll also add that it wasn't as bad as James Jones go for the throat flag 2 when they played the Bulls at the end of the season and I don't think Jones got suspended.

JohnnyOutcast
05-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Average NBA fan: Man, I miss the old days when the players were tougher and not the whining little babies you see now.

After a hard foul occurs

Average NBA Fan: What OMGZ this guy should be suspended ten games. There should be no place for thugs like that in the league............

Me: :confused:

JC_
05-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Average NBA fan: Man, I miss the old days when the players were tougher and not the whining little babies you see now.

After a hard foul occurs

Average NBA Fan: What OMGZ this guy should be suspended ten games. There should be no place for thugs like that in the league............

Me: :confused:

So true.

ESaady
05-23-2012, 01:18 AM
I think it should have been a flagrant 2. If the NBA allows for people getting clubbed in the face then they should go back to the old school rules where it happened more often than not and people got heated for a bit and then that was it. It's apparent Haslem didn't go for the ball so by today's standards I think it should have been flagrant 2.

Just my .02

PC
05-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Without a doubt, Haslem wasn't even going for the ball... just a dirty play

youngMan
05-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Flagrant 2, Wade got away with something another dude got suspended 2 games for doing to Blake Griffin...doesn't surprise me.

If you don't like them don't matter neither of these teams are winning the Finals or possibly even getting to the Finals.

GiantsSwaGG
05-23-2012, 01:50 AM
One of the worst calls ever and further proves the refs are instructed to make sure the Heat win & get to the finals!

justjames
05-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Most crews would have called the Haslem one a flagrant 2. The Hansborough and Haslem fouls should have just been hard playoff fouls.

I hate that the NBA has been wussified but what I hate even more is that the refs aren't consistent in how they call those fouls.

Baller1
05-23-2012, 02:25 AM
If Haslem is suspended, that's a huge blow to Miami.

Fnom11
05-23-2012, 04:19 AM
@AlexKennedyNBA
Doctors are evaluating Lance Stephenson. He's getting x-rays and a concussion test. He may have a broken collarbone, says Danny Granger

‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Roy Hibbert: "LeBron and D-Wade aren't responding to our physical play. They're sending other people to do it."

What? Lebron and Wade went off on them? You can't get more tough than showing it with your play. Hibbert is a moron

Shlumpledink
05-23-2012, 05:12 AM
If artest gets a flagrant 1 for his foul in game 5 then haslem should have a flagrant 4

JC_
05-23-2012, 05:18 AM
If artest gets a flagrant 1 for his foul in game 5 then haslem should have a flagrant 4

The league has a different set of rules for Artest. If he looks at someone wierd he's getting t'd up at this point.

JC_
05-23-2012, 05:27 AM
What? Lebron and Wade went off on them? You can't get more tough than showing it with your play. Hibbert is a moron

Sounds like he might be, if that's really what he said. He probably looks up to Granger so he expects the other teams stars to get in someones face everytime the whistle is blown.. lol.

Speaking of Granger..I don't understand why he's been so sensitive this series. I haven't watched the Pacers much but does he just always get in peoples faces whenever there is any contact when he plays other teams? Or is he just that way against Miami?

QueensG
05-23-2012, 05:41 AM
oh man I hope the Pacers bring out scrubs off the bench to really put lebron and Wade on their *** rather then flopping there..that haslem and Pittman foul on Stevenson were just unnacceptable, he could of really injured him badly...Miami gets the hate they deserve for being a bunch of pussys..hope they put.either lebron or Wade on a stretcher next game..for real ..an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth

xnick5757
05-23-2012, 06:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-HyHLhv4LI&feature=player_detailpage#t=39s

pittman should be suspended for 9 games - (so that means at least this series and the next)

his elbow was way worst than the one MWP delivered; elbowing someone that hard in the neck could have been very dangerous.

also, did anyone else see him wink when he was at the foul line?

haslem's foul should be upgraded to a flagrant 2; he didn't even try to go for the ball, just used two hands to chop tyler.

A flagrant 1 is unnecessary contact. This is usually when a defensive player swings and makes hard contact with the offensive player or makes hard contact and then follows through.

A flagrant foul 2 is unnecessary and excessive contact. This usually has a swinging motion, hard contact, and a follow through.

both meet the criteria for flagrant 2s

unleashthebeast
05-23-2012, 06:35 AM
The part that i had a hard time understanding was the fact that the refs never reviewed any of the fouls. It is much easier to get a flagrant foul corrected if you originally call it a flagrant 2, go to instant replay, then make your final decision based off of that replay.

The refs not reviewing either of these fouls was a complete fail by them, any flagrant foul that looks at all like it can be a flagrant 2 should be reviewed.

That said, Haslem will probably be suspended for game 6. I respect the hell out of him for standing up for his teammate, but in today's NBA he will probably miss a game.

Pittman on the other hand will be gone for multiple games. His play was very dirty and while it was him standing up for a teammate yet again, there is no reason for that to be happening in an NBA game.

After all of these hard fouls in game 5, I am praying that no bad injuries occur in game 6.

Sportfan
05-23-2012, 06:57 AM
he's clearly talking about the low blow shots by the heat scrubs, what can't you understand?

xbrackattackx
05-23-2012, 07:05 AM
I like the hard play. I think haslems Foul on Tyler was okay.Good playoff foul for fouling a team mate. But Pittman I think that was a bad move didn't agree when Bynum did it to JJ. He obviously was trying to take up for a team mate. He could have just talked trash like stephenson, but he had to break his collar bone WTF?

xbrackattackx
05-23-2012, 07:08 AM
The part that i had a hard time understanding was the fact that the refs never reviewed any of the fouls. It is much easier to get a flagrant foul corrected if you originally call it a flagrant 2, go to instant replay, then make your final decision based off of that replay.

The refs not reviewing either of these fouls was a complete fail by them, any flagrant foul that looks at all like it can be a flagrant 2 should be reviewed.

That said, Haslem will probably be suspended for game 6. I respect the hell out of him for standing up for his teammate, but in today's NBA he will probably miss a game.

Pittman on the other hand will be gone for multiple games. His play was very dirty and while it was him standing up for a teammate yet again, there is no reason for that to be happening in an NBA game.

After all of these hard fouls in game 5, I am praying that no bad injuries occur in game 6.

Agreed. I have no problem with haslems foul he went for mostly arms and it was just a playoff foul. Refs could have reviewed it they opted not to. Should be the same call.

Pittman however that was just wrong he Macho Man Elbowed Stephenson in the collarbone. Should be 2-5 games since it's playoffs.

Fnom11
05-23-2012, 07:11 AM
he's clearly talking about the low blow shots by the heat scrubs, what can't you understand?

This is verbatim, "LeBron and D-Wade aren't responding to our physical play. They're sending other people to do it.". How did you miss the part where he directed stated their names?

daricoliver
05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
There was a clear difference between Hansborough and Haslem's fouls. Hansborough got all ball and then in the follow through contacted his head. This was called correctly. No intent to injure, a good hard foul. The intent was to prevent those crazy circus shots Wade regularly makes.

Haslem clearly made no play whatsoever for the ball. To me, it looked like he went for the face and happened to swipe the face and chop down on his arms. It was not a basketball play at all. The ball was a foot away from where Haslem struck. There was no possible way he was going for the ball. This should have been an automatic ejection.

Weezy
05-23-2012, 07:58 AM
He should be suspended 1 game. I understand he was pissed and everything but it was unnecessary and he made absolutely no play on the ball.

h2r09
05-23-2012, 08:17 AM
he will be fined like 20000 but won't be suspended. you can see he was at least close to the ball, although we know what he was doing. hansborough probably shouldn't high five his teammate immediately after a hard foul on wade next time i guess.

pebloemer
05-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Pittman will be gone for a while. No question there for me.

Haslem's foul is definitely a flagrant 2. Does it warrant any further discipline? I wouldn't go that far (maybe a fine?).

The league certainly needs to make a statement to the teams before it gets out of hand though. Pacers are losing the series, losing bodies to injuries, taking dirty (Haslem) - very dirty (Pittman) fouls and have Larry Bird calling them SOFT. If the league lets the teams police themselves, Game 6 will be very interesting.

WadeCounty
05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
it was an obvious flagrant two but I can't help but think if the refs were being generous simply because they know how much of a prick the guy that got hit was with all the cheap fouls he does or if they are aware of the no bosh situation and the heat can't afford to lose haslem too. just my two cents

dbramforskins21
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
it was an obvious flagrant two but I can't help but think if the refs were being generous simply because they know how much of a prick the guy that got hit was with all the cheap fouls he does or if they are aware of the no bosh situation and the heat can't afford to lose haslem too. just my two cents

:facepalm: SMH at the fact that you just said the only reason they didnt hit him with a flagrant two because the HEAT are down a player...You just made my point that I've been trying to tell HEAT fans all year...Yall get so many calls your way and your a HEAT fan saying that yall got the benefit of that call because yall dont have Bosh? Cmon son. Thank you though for being helpful.

BobbyHillSwag
05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
since pacers are probably gonna lose game 6 they need to start an all out brawl between miami and try to injure bron(yea i said it, **** class). They put a nba hit on stevenson and it's time for payback.

As my dad would say "Kick his *** with the propane, tank bobby, god damnit bobby hit him harder."

AddiX
05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
No ref wants to be known as then guy who ruined the heats chances at an NBA title. Bron goes entire games, on the normal, without committing a foul, flagrants have been no existent for the entire team, I won't get into the things wade has gotten away with.

Havoc Wreaker
05-23-2012, 09:34 AM

:nod:

Rapsfanforlife
05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Pittman should be ejected for the rest of the playoffs - that was a blatant attempt to injure. Hansborough was borderline Flag 2, but he did get ball before Wade pulled it down. Haslems was clearly a Flag 2 as there was no attempt at the ball. I could see if Hansborough had shifted the position of the ball or something, but it was clear from Haslems approach that there was no intention of doing anything but 2 handing Hansborough to the floor. The problem is that the NBA wants the Heat in the finals...neither will be suspended in order to ensure they get in. Such a joke. I'm looking forward to either San Antonio or OKC wiping the floor with the Heat.

basketfan4life
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Almost every Heat game since the end of regular season, we argue if it should be a flagrant 2 or 1, will that Miami player get suspended.

And the result is always the same, it is a flagrant 1 and there is no suspension. you know how many times wade didn't even got ejected when he deserved to be suspended.

Stop *****ing about it.

nate2usmc
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
since pacers are probably gonna lose game 6 they need to start an all out brawl between miami and try to injure bron(yea i said it, **** class). They put a nba hit on stevenson and it's time for payback.

As my dad would say "Kick his *** with the propane, tank bobby, god damnit bobby hit him harder."

Yes! Go hard, Gregg Williams style! lol

torocan
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Pittman will be gone for a while. No question there for me.

Haslem's foul is definitely a flagrant 2. Does it warrant any further discipline? I wouldn't go that far (maybe a fine?).

The league certainly needs to make a statement to the teams before it gets out of hand though. Pacers are losing the series, losing bodies to injuries, taking dirty (Haslem) - very dirty (Pittman) fouls and have Larry Bird calling them SOFT. If the league lets the teams police themselves, Game 6 will be very interesting.

The problem with this is if they rule Haslem a F2 and do NOT give Haslem a suspension, they let the Heat off scott free.

If they gave Haslem the F2 from the start, Haslem would have missed 2 quarters, there would be real in-game consequences, and then the story is over. That they didn't call Haslem OR Pittman a F2 and at least REVIEW the play (they should have reviewed Hansborough's foul as well), makes the officiating a joke.

Making it a F2 post-game without any loss of play time basically becomes less than a slap on the wrist. It becomes a green light to lay in those sorts of F2 fouls and a justification for the Pacers to go after Heat players.

Haslem should get 1 game, and Pittman should get 5+.

Guaranteed if MWP did the Haslem/Pittman foul, you'd be looking at instant ejection or at least F2 review for a Haslem type foul, playoffs or not.

If they let Haslem off at this point, it just puts more ammo in the "NBA ref rigging" camp.

justinnum1
05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
The problem with this is if they rule Haslem a F2 and do NOT give Haslem a suspension, they let the Heat off scott free.

If they gave Haslem the F2 from the start, Haslem would have missed 2 quarters, there would be real in-game consequences, and then the story is over. That they didn't call Haslem OR Pittman a F2 and at least REVIEW the play (they should have reviewed Hansborough's foul as well), makes the officiating a joke.

Making it a F2 post-game without any loss of play time basically becomes less than a slap on the wrist. It becomes a green light to lay in those sorts of F2 fouls and a justification for the Pacers to go after Heat players.

Guaranteed if MWP did the Haslem/Pittman foul, you'd be looking at instant ejection or at least F2 review for a Haslem type foul, playoffs or not.

If they let Haslem off at this point, it just puts more ammo in the "NBA ref rigging" camp.

even without haslem, miami was winning that game by 20+

justinnum1
05-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Your such a big strong tough guy

torocan
05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
even without haslem, miami was winning that game by 20+

The end result/score isn't the point. You don't encourage non-ball play unless you want to see it degenerate into headhunting or a brawl.

There's 100+ ways to hard foul under the pretense of playing FOR the ball. Haslem didn't bother even trying to hide it, which is why it should have been an ejection, or at LEAST a F2 with review.

That they didn't even REVIEW EITHER play, makes the officiating questionable.

The point I'm trying to make is not that Haslem made a hard foul. I'm okay with Haslem making the hard foul, however when you do that sort of Hard Foul you're accepting the potential consequences.

Haslem intentionally went for a Hard Foul that clearly was a F2, it SHOULD have been reviewed, and he should have been Ejected. That's the REFS job. To Punish infractions, whether Haslem felt the foul was justified or not.

It's like if someone hits my friend and I hit them back, I'm willing to accept I might be sent home from work/school/etc or have to explain it to the cops. I accept that there will be consequences.

The NBA refs' job is to Enforce the rules, NOT to ignore them when it's convenient or they feel it's justified.

Haslem should have been ejected. The Heat would have probably won. And there would have been no discussion.

If I'm the Pacers and don't see Haslem/Pittman ejected, my first reaction is that the Refs aren't going to enforce the rules. They're not going to protect the players. Maybe we SHOULD undercut Wade, or hit Lebron on one of his dunks, or "accidentally" trip and drive a shoulder into another Heat player.

Justified or not, Haslem should have stayed within the rules. And if he felt he didn't want to, then he should be willing to accept the consequences.

Big Zo
05-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Bobby, stop staring at Luanne in the shower!

justinnum1
05-23-2012, 10:59 AM
:laugh:^ lmfao

NYflightboy
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Definitely flagrant 2. It's all about intent. Doesn't matter that Wade was bleeding. Haslem should game a game and Pittman at least 5. Though Stephenson had it coming. Pittman went for his neck so he can make Lance choke. Pretty clever on his part. At least I thought it was slightly humorous.

Rivera
05-23-2012, 11:12 AM
I normally love hard fouls its old schoool ball and the players are policing themselves

Unfourtanetly where in a complteley different nba now and haslem and pittman should be suspended because of he era in the nba we are in. I will be shocked if haslem or pittman dont get suspended because everyone else would

thekmp211
05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Bobby, stop staring at Luanne in the shower!

:clap:

pebloemer
05-23-2012, 12:13 PM

I do agree with what you are saying. The officiating was an absolute joke. Haslem's foul definitely registers as a Flagrant 2 in my book. But I don't think it is a foul that really calls for a suspension. Does the NBA decide to chalk it up to "the error of in-game officiating" in which case Haslem gets off with a slap on the wrist, or do they make a statement and give him a game to try and "police" the series better or make up for a bad call in the game? I could see them justifying either decision.

Pittman has to be looking at around 5 (or more). It looks horrible on a replay, it would be a non-contraversial decision, so an easy one to make and it rightfully penalizes a dirty play. If you look Bynum's foul last year, I'd argue that Pittman's is worse based on where the elbow is targeted.

da ThRONe
05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Haslem call was the proper decision. Calling Hansbourgh foul a flagrant 1 was the problem. That was just a normal foul. Attempt was made on the ball contact was even made with the ball. He hit Wade on the follow through.

BALLER R
05-23-2012, 12:17 PM
This is a cheap shot but if the pacer are losing bad in the fourth I would start something with wade and lebron at the same time. Miami can't afford for a couple players to get suspended for the next round against the celtics. So indiana would essentially be taking out the heat even though the heat took them out. Just a thought.

QueensG
05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
This is a cheap shot but if the pacer are losing bad in the fourth I would start something with wade and lebron at the same time. Miami can't afford for a couple players to get suspended for the next round against the celtics. So indiana would essentially be taking out the heat even though the heat took them out. Just a thought.

haha that would be hilarious..Wade and bron would be punching bags since they don't want to get suspended lol

MrfadeawayJB
05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
That was a clear flagarant 2 foul imo. I'm all for physical basketball but when there is absolutely no play on the ball whatsoever it crosses the line

kntresistheheat
05-23-2012, 12:34 PM
It looks like haslem is NOT going to be suspended for game 6.

rhino17
05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
He made NO PLAY ON THE BALL. He took both hands to Tyler's face in a clear retaliation for what was actually a CLEAN play by Hansborough on Wade. Flagrant 2 for sure

willabeast77
05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
It was the right call and not a missed call. Even the broadcasters acknowledged it as the right call. Hansborough was able to get the shot off so it was not needed to be a flagrant 2.

daricoliver
05-23-2012, 06:20 PM
It was the right call and not a missed call. Even the broadcasters acknowledged it as the right call. Hansborough was able to get the shot off so it was not needed to be a flagrant 2.

Factually this is inaccurate. Later on in the game, both broadcasters (especially Steve Kerr) talked about how this should have been a Flagrant 2 and a suspension might be forthcoming.

JC_
05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
The end result/score isn't the point. You don't encourage non-ball play unless you want to see it degenerate into headhunting or a brawl.

There's 100+ ways to hard foul under the pretense of playing FOR the ball. Haslem didn't bother even trying to hide it, which is why it should have been an ejection, or at LEAST a F2 with review.

That they didn't even REVIEW EITHER play, makes the officiating questionable.

The point I'm trying to make is not that Haslem made a hard foul. I'm okay with Haslem making the hard foul, however when you do that sort of Hard Foul you're accepting the potential consequences.

Haslem intentionally went for a Hard Foul that clearly was a F2, it SHOULD have been reviewed, and he should have been Ejected. That's the REFS job. To Punish infractions, whether Haslem felt the foul was justified or not.

It's like if someone hits my friend and I hit them back, I'm willing to accept I might be sent home from work/school/etc or have to explain it to the cops. I accept that there will be consequences.

The NBA refs' job is to Enforce the rules, NOT to ignore them when it's convenient or they feel it's justified.

Haslem should have been ejected. The Heat would have probably won. And there would have been no discussion.

If I'm the Pacers and don't see Haslem/Pittman ejected, my first reaction is that the Refs aren't going to enforce the rules. They're not going to protect the players. Maybe we SHOULD undercut Wade, or hit Lebron on one of his dunks, or "accidentally" trip and drive a shoulder into another Heat player.

Justified or not, Haslem should have stayed within the rules. And if he felt he didn't want to, then he should be willing to accept the consequences.

So all of a sudden refs are supposed to not suck and make the right call? Come on dude, this is the NBA.

tcman2007
05-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Is LeBron the biggest ***** in the history of the universe? Someone makes a choking gesture when he loses a game and to get back, he has a teammate recklessly elbow the offender in the face. LeBron needs to stop acting like a woman. Maybe someone should've clobbered LeBron in the throat last year when he made fun of Nowitzki's supposed cold. Grow up LeBron, grow up press.

justinnum1
05-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Is LeBron the biggest ***** in the history of the universe? Someone makes a choking gesture when he loses a game and to get back, he has a teammate recklessly elbow the offender in the face. LeBron needs to stop acting like a woman. Maybe someone should've clobbered LeBron in the throat last year when he made fun of Nowitzki's supposed cold. Grow up LeBron, grow up press.

I guess lance won't be making a choking gesture anymore

daricoliver
05-24-2012, 12:16 AM

The ends don't justify the means. That was bushleague

Lance may yet make a choking gesture if he can with a broken collarbone. Do not be so sure this series is over. I would not be surprised in the least if it came to the final minutes of a game 7 in Miami. They handled the pressure fine so far, although Indiana's poor play had a lot to do with that. We will see.

justinnum1
05-24-2012, 07:09 AM
The ends don't justify the means. That was bushleague

Lance may yet make a choking gesture if he can with a broken collarbone. Do not be so sure this series is over. I would not be surprised in the least if it came to the final minutes of a game 7 in Miami. They handled the pressure fine so far, although Indiana's poor play had a lot to do with that. We will see.

Indianas poor play is a result of miami's stellar D.

YashBoone
05-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Ya know, all jokes aside, this is so true.
This isn't about heat or Lebron hate or anything like that.....

I have always said that Lebron is just an immature and egotistical dude and to me it shows all the time....

Everything he does. He *****es at the refs, even after the game, for "taking away his moves".... He's always cryin about how he is hated on when the hate people have for him is a direct reflection of his own actions, not the other way around.... He quit on his team and **** on Cleveland by quitting that last game and taking his jersey off on his way to the locker room. Almost symbolic..... Now this bs where they think that **** is justifiable because he made the choke sign? Really?.......I know heat fans think its cool cause it teaches this guy a lesson? What does that even mean.... HE WAS TRASH TALKING... Just like everyone else in the entire nba does does.... The media just blew it up and Lebron bought into it.... He was duped

He's just immature and it shows ....

Jay16
05-24-2012, 08:01 AM

I have always said that Lebron is just an immature and egotistical dude and to me it shows all the time....

Everything he does. He *****es at the refs, even after the game, for "taking away his moves".... He's always cryin about how he is hated on when the hate people have for him is a direct reflection of his own actions, not the other way around.... He quit on his team and **** on Cleveland by quitting that last game and taking his jersey off on his way to the locker room. Almost symbolic..... Now this bs where they think that **** is justifiable because he made the choke sign? Really?.......I know heat fans think its cool cause it teaches this guy a lesson? What does that even mean.... HE WAS TRASH TALKING... Just like everyone else in the entire nba does does.... The media just blew it up and Lebron bought into it.... He was duped

And you give no credit for taking less money to come win a team championship ? Most superstars won't even talk to a team unless it's a max contract but here we have an example of 3 max contract players taking less money to win as a team and they get blasted. That's why Heat fans say people hate. Becuase if this was done any other way or with any other player it would have been applauded. But no, it was the best player in the NBA and he didn't choose your team so let's spew the venom. And as far as egotistical or immature , Granger has been trying to get under his skin the whole series and have you seen LeBron go at him once? No. Team first. Get a fcken clue dude.

YashBoone
05-24-2012, 08:07 AM

And you give no credit for taking less money to come win a team championship ? Most superstars won't even talk to a team unless it's a max contract but here we have an example of 3 max contract players taking less money to win as a team and they get blasted. That's why Heat fans say people hate. Becuase if this was done any other way or with any other player it would have been applauded. But no, it was the best player in the NBA and he didn't choose your team so let's spew the venom. And as far as egotistical or immature , Granger has been trying to get under his skin the whole series and have you seen LeBron go at him once? No. Team first. Get a fcken clue dude.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with hate, but keep telling your self that.
That will make everything all better.

Its just the way I feel and have always felt... Even when he was in Cleveland. And funny **** is two years ago heat fans would have agreed....

CTCUBBIES
05-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Should Tyson Chandler have elbowed Wade or Lebron in the neck for making fun of Dirk last year?

Heatcheck
05-24-2012, 12:48 PM

i love how you assume you know that lebron asked pittman to do this. and state it as a fact. have you ever even been in a locker room before? assuming you know everything everyone's thinking is acting like a woman

Heatcheck
05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Like I said, it has nothing to do with hate, but keep telling your self that.
That will make everything all better.

Its just the way I feel and have always felt... Even when he was in Cleveland. And funny **** is two years ago heat fans would have agreed....

that *****ing he does to the refs, everyone does it, starting with Michael and kobe. And you cant quit on a team if you were already doing EVERYTHING. noone averages 22 7 and 5 by quitting. people have bad games and one of the other 14 professional basketball players should have been able to contribute at least a lil bit.