PDA

View Full Version : Nba worse vs joe smoe

inVIZinble
05-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Out of curiosty... with the talent level of the nba, if we were to name the worst nba players that are actively playing right now. As long as they are not hurt and part of the 15 man roster, could that player dominate in any pick-up game? We all saw the Irving video and he messed around and then dominated for fun. Now can a player say like a Kwame Brown or Brian Scalabrine do the same? Could we name the worse players that we think can't and can dominate against regular people (non-pro/amateur)

sep11ie
05-22-2012, 05:26 PM
I feel like I'm in the freaking Twilight Zone.

Pat Thetic
05-22-2012, 05:31 PM
I feel like I'm in the freaking Twilight Zone.

agreed

davids22
05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Anyone in the NBA is a PROFESSIONAL basketball player. They play basketball FOR A LIVING. They would absolutely destroy any average joe schmo in a pick up game.

Why don't people understand this?

Six-8-TheWizard
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Anyone in the NBA is a PROFESSIONAL basketball player. They play basketball FOR A LIVING. They would absolutely destroy any average joe schmo in a pick up game.

This, and why is someone starting a thread as their very first post?

haggis
05-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Brian Scalabrine would run your ***.

SSmythe22
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Because it is NOT true...

Many NBA stars have come to NYC and played in Rucker Park games. On a few of them (NBA Stars) dominate.

justjames
05-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Have you seen Pros vs Joes? Old out of shape retirees tear up regular guys.

The Ooh Child
05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I would **** Scalabrine's world up

BALLER71
05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Pretty sure Scalabrine averaged like 18 points in college and that absolutely means he'd take a massive **** on any poster in this forum.

EricU812
05-22-2012, 06:13 PM

Because people live in a false sense of reality. They have all been hit with positive reinforcement and therefore they believe that they could score against the best.

If you are in the NBA, no matter how terrible you are, you are a part of an elite club of athletes.

Now....lets define Joe Shmoe. Even if Joe goes to the gym and plays pickup games a few times a week, they might get off a lucky 3 or maybe a run to the lane or something.

However, lets say Joe is playing ANY player in the NBA for a roster spot Joe gets absolutely poned 100 times out of 100.

Klivlend
05-22-2012, 06:17 PM
What a terrible first post/thread for inVIZinble

kubernetes
05-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Because it is NOT true...

Many NBA stars have come to NYC and played in Rucker Park games. On a few of them (NBA Stars) dominate.

I think this is the better comparison. People are thinking about some overweight white dude playing at the local YMCA, but there are streetball players who are pretty skilled in certain respects. Could the best Rucker Park no-name beat the worst scrub in the NBA? I might have to say yes.

xxplayerxx23
05-22-2012, 06:22 PM
I play hs ball, and im very soild but no chance I would have a chance against any quote on quote scrub in the league

NoahH
05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Nope. If Joe Smoe is referring to a random decent player who played high school ball and nothing else than no. If a random Joe Smoe could beat the NBAs worst wouldn't they be in the NBA?

billsftw
05-22-2012, 06:41 PM
of course they would, if they wanted to
posters on this forum can talk **** all they want; they're really not that good

crewfan13
05-22-2012, 06:45 PM
It really depends on what you consider dominating and what style of pickup game it is to be honest. A guy like Jon Brockman may not be able to school some Joe Schmoe (if its someone who maybe has some college basketball experience as a guard and is a decent shooter) in one on one, but if its a real game that's played according to NBA type rules and not street rules, then the nba guy would look very good.

Honestly, one on one I bet there's definately a couple Joe Schmoes who could beat some crappy nba big guys if they got hot shooting, but that doesn't mean they are a better player, just that they shot better and their game fits the one on one or pickup game style better.

jayjay33
05-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Out of curiosty... with the talent level of the nba, if we were to name the worst nba players that are actively playing right now. As long as they are not hurt and part of the 15 man roster, could that player dominate in any pick-up game? We all saw the Irving video and he messed around and then dominated for fun. Now can a player say like a Kwame Brown or Brian Scalabrine do the same? Could we name the worse players that we think can't and can dominate against regular people (non-pro/amateur)

Hell no, I have personaly been on the court and seen several NBA player get got. It all depends on where the pick-up game is. Wait before I keep going i just read the last part (non-pro/amateur). Does that mean your exculding all the best players from around the city....who play or played in Highschool, college, AAU, City Leagues....etc? If so then yes any NBA player would dominate, but so would pretty much any college player or even a decent high school player. Hell , I could destroy at the park when I was only 13 and just playing junior high. By the time I was 15 I stoppped going cause it was just a waste of time. If thats what you meant then I don't even see the point of the question.

ManRam
05-22-2012, 07:08 PM
These new posters creating these crazy threads aren't dupes...that's weird.

What a silly thread. OF COURSE any NBA player, even Rasual Butler, Jeremy Pargo, Shawne Williams, Damien Wilkins and Lance Stephenson could beat any random group of 5. They might all suck, but that's compared to their NBA peers. They're still all AMAZING basketball players.

If there are amateur players better than those guys, they'd be in the league. Those guys all stink (bottom 10 players in my estimation), but they've all hung around in the league long enough for a reason.

davids22
05-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Can I please run through the life of an NBA scrub for some of you people?

First off, any player in the NBA was an absolute STAR at their high school. Let's look at Jon Brockman since I saw someone mention his name earlier. Jon Brockman averaged 22.4 PPG and 13 RPG his junior year of high school. He averaged 30.2 PPG and 14 RPG his senior year. He was 20th ranked prospect coming out of high school. He was a McDonalds All-American.
He went to play college at Washington with Brandon Roy, where he started every game but one. He shot 51.8% from the field (ranked 2nd in the Pac-10), and also grabbed the 2nd most rebounds by a freshman in his schools history with 6.5 a game while scoring 8.4 PPG as a 3rd option behind Brandon Roy and Bobby Jones.

You think just because a "scrub" like Jon Brockman gets only garbage minutes in the NBA that he just suddenly FORGOT how to play basketball?

People, if you are in the NBA, whether a star or a bench warmer, you are among an ELITE member of basketball players that almost every single professional player in Europe wishes they could be apart of. Sure, some people might rather go play in Europe where they can actually put up numbers, but some are just happy riding the pine, collecting their paycheck, and being apart of the best basketball organization in the world.

You have to realize that players like Jon Brockman and Brian Scalabrini get to practice against other NBA players EVERY SINGLE DAY. They work out EVERY DAY. They shoot around EVERY DAY.

People are so quick to assume that if someone doesn't get 10+ minutes per game that they are immediately replaceable with some scrubs that won the local 3v3 at the YMCA.

Some of you people can keep your dreams of zero to hero or of the magic of Vince Papale, but that type of thing is of the most extreme rarity.

This is just the entire "Could the Kentucky team beat the Bobcats team" discussion all over again, just in a new light. And once again, while the Kentucky team may have 5 NBA players on it, the Bobcats team has 12 NBA players on it.

jayjay33
05-22-2012, 07:23 PM

First off, any player in the NBA was an absolute STAR at their high school. Let's look at Jon Brockman since I saw someone mention his name earlier. Jon Brockman averaged 22.4 PPG and 13 RPG his junior year of high school. He averaged 30.2 PPG and 14 RPG his senior year. He was 20th ranked prospect coming out of high school. He was a McDonalds All-American.
He went to play college at Washington with Brandon Roy, where he started every game but one. He shot 51.8% from the field (ranked 2nd in the Pac-10), and also grabbed the 2nd most rebounds by a freshman in his schools history with 6.5 a game while scoring 8.4 PPG as a 3rd option behind Brandon Roy and Bobby Jones.

You think just because a "scrub" like Jon Brockman gets only garbage minutes in the NBA that he just suddenly FORGOT how to play basketball?

People, if you are in the NBA, whether a star or a bench warmer, you are among an ELITE member of basketball players that almost every single professional player in Europe wishes they could be apart of. Sure, some people might rather go play in Europe where they can actually put up numbers, but some are just happy riding the pine, collecting their paycheck, and being apart of the best basketball organization in the world.

You have to realize that players like Jon Brockman and Brian Scalabrini get to practice against other NBA players EVERY SINGLE DAY. They work out EVERY DAY. They shoot around EVERY DAY.

People are so quick to assume that if someone doesn't get 10+ minutes per game that they are immediately replaceable with some scrubs that won the local 3v3 at the YMCA.

Some of you people can keep your dreams of zero to hero or of the magic of Vince Papale, but that type of thing is of the most extreme rarity.

This is just the entire "Could the Kentucky team beat the Bobcats team" discussion all over again, just in a new light. And once again, while the Kentucky team may have 5 NBA players on it, the Bobcats team has 12 NBA players on it.

I think your going a little over board...he said domniate any-pick up game. I don't think he meant they would not play well or not be the best player on the court. But when playing with the best player from around the city NBA player get sent to the side just like everybody else. I have seen it and been on the court for it plenty of times. Now, if 2 or especially 3 of them end up getting on the same, That's a different story then they pretty much run **** till they quit. lol But just 1 "maybe" 2 can be dealt with.

Now if he's just taking about the local ymca ********....No they got no chance. But all the "best" players from around the city all usallly go to 1 or 2 places to play, because it the only place you can get in comp and that's where NBA and oversea's player go to play pick -up in the off time. Especially the one's from that city and they lose all the time. Not more than they win of course, but you get my point. But like I said if the OP meant just the "average joe" walking down the street ( i'm not sure)then ignore every thing I just said, cause they would get kill by a decent highschool player.

Patman
05-22-2012, 07:35 PM
These new posters creating these crazy threads aren't dupes...that's weird.

What a silly thread. OF COURSE any NBA player, even Rasual Butler, Jeremy Pargo, Shawne Williams, Damien Wilkins and Lance Stephenson could beat any random group of 5. They might all suck, but that's compared to their NBA peers. They're still all AMAZING basketball players.

If there are amateur players better than those guys, they'd be in the league. Those guys all stink (bottom 10 players in my estimation), but they've all hung around in the league long enough for a reason.

Man even a guy like Adam Morrison would absolutely destroy any average Pick up Baller.
Have fun playing against a guy like Kwame he is only 7 feet and will probably score as soon as he has the ball, or do you stop that guy from backing down.

I don't get it an average Joe can't keep up with a college player and NBA players were all outstanding college players or so good they went directly to the NBA.

greg_ory_2005
05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
This is the kind of stuff that 10 year olds ask.

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
dumb question lol...although Trenton Hassell (former NBA player) plays pick up games all the time at my college with average dudes and some college players. He probably doesnt try that hard but he did get a jumpshot stuffed the other day lol

yaswaggin
05-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Kyrie Irving used to play at a YMCA in Union, NJ during his high school years.

The guy was 50x better than any player on the court including some of his AAU teammates and a lot of former D-1 players.

BradfordIsElite
05-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Realistically? ...... nobody on this entire forum could guard a Kwame Brown or Brian Scalbrine? ****, Matt Bonner would be putting tossing it off the backboard, ala Vincanity (in his prime) style finish. They're among the few hundred best players in the world.

theheatles
05-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Scalabrine doesn't count, he's on rosters because he's like a player coach...but dudes like Luke Walton and Dan Gadzuric would **** your world if they tried

BradfordIsElite
05-22-2012, 11:36 PM

The Bobcats, at 7 total wins this past season would probably beat that Kentucky team by 25+ at least. #Just saying

smiddy012
05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
This would be like asking if an American club team could compete with Manchester United or Real Madrid, but much... much worse.

b@llhog24
05-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Kyrie Irving used to play at a YMCA in Union, NJ during his high school years.

The guy was 50x better than any player on the court including some of his AAU teammates and a lot of former D-1 players.

Well Kyrie ended up in the Nba so I'd guess he can be exempted?

Scalabrine doesn't count, he's on rosters because he's like a player coach...but dudes like Luke Walton and Dan Gadzuric would **** your world if they tried

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/southern-california/brian-scalabrine
Took like 5 secs dude.

BradfordIsElite
05-23-2012, 12:09 AM
This would be like asking if an American club team could compete with Manchester United or Real Madrid, but much... much worse.

Or wondering if Sylvester Stallone could actually last 3 rounds or more with a professional..

inVIZinble
05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
I think your going a little over board...he said domniate any-pick up game. I don't think he meant they would not play well or not be the best player on the court. But when playing with the best player from around the city NBA player get sent to the side just like everybody else. I have seen it and been on the court for it plenty of times. Now, if 2 or especially 3 of them end up getting on the same, That's a different story then they pretty much run **** till they quit. lol But just 1 "maybe" 2 can be dealt with.

Now if he's just taking about the local ymca ********....No they got no chance. But all the "best" players from around the city all usallly go to 1 or 2 places to play, because it the only place you can get in comp and that's where NBA and oversea's player go to play pick -up in the off time. Especially the one's from that city and they lose all the time. Not more than they win of course, but you get my point. But like I said if the OP meant just the "average joe" walking down the street ( i'm not sure)then ignore every thing I just said, cause they would get kill by a decent highschool player.

this
i should have clarified more... when i said pro/amateur I simply meant college,d league, and1 etc.

I know there are so many ballers out there that can compete. My joe schmoe isnt referring to 40 year olds but just an alias for a player is doesnt play for a living. There are many people that choose different paths or careers rather than focus on being a pro.

You do have amazing street ballers, especially those of rucker park. I know for sure you'll get a 6"8 guy who would ball on a Brian Cardinal

sep11ie
05-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Or wondering if Sylvester Stallone could actually last 3 rounds or more with a professional..

A professional what? Hair dresser? Office manager? I.T. guy?

sp1derm00
05-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Even Scal would dominate an average person pickup game.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
There are some streeballers who have as much talent as NBA players, but they don't have the capabilities of making it their profession. But I would say the worst NBA player is better than 99% of what is out there, competition wise. So yes, if a bottom 5 NBA player showed up to your gym, they would destroy everyone in sight.

Remember too, playground basketball isn't exactly playing by proper rules. You could call carrying or travel 15 times each play.

lol, please
05-23-2012, 08:34 PM
A professional what? Hair dresser? Office manager? I.T. guy?

If you don't know the answer to that, why try to be sarcastic? Because the majority of us adults have no problem immediately projecting the image he wanted, it's really obvious. If you know anything about Stallone.

And this is a great topic for a thread. If you are seven years old.

Longhornfan1234
05-23-2012, 08:37 PM
I think I could dominate a smaller guy. I would dominate Wade or Wall in the post.

John Walls Era
05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
WTF is this guy talking about? How is Scalabrine NBA's "worse lol" player

YanksGmenBKNets
05-23-2012, 08:46 PM
idk johan Petro is terrible, his only advantage is being 7 foot, he has no basketball skill whatsoever

Lakers + Giants
05-23-2012, 08:50 PM
I seriously think I could get as many layups as I want vs D fish.