PDA

View Full Version : Proposal For the NBA and One-and-Dones

ThornMo
05-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm getting increasingly tired with some of the behavior I'm seeing from the NBA's greatest athletes in recent years. This is just my opinion, but a lot of it is just lack of professionalism and maturity. I truly think time spent in college would have helped careers for guys like lebron, dwight, KG, Kobe, and so on. Don't get me wrong, these are great players with amazing talent who have had incredible careers thus far. But when looking at the pool of high school to NBA and one-and-done players the amount of negative stories and problems coming from them seem much greater than guys that had experience playing in college.

My solution to one-and-dones is simple. Just like in any typical workplace an employee gets monetary incentives for their academic and work experience.What if an NBA player could not be given a max contract without a college degree and at least two years experience in college?

First of all, a one and done can still go into the league and make millions and "feed their families."
Secondly, with two years college experience it's extremely possible to play out your rookie contract and complete school during the summer to be eligible for a Max contract as soon as possible.
Lastly, this puts less pressure on teams and less leverage to the players seeking a trade to the team that will sign them to a max contract.

I know there could be some flaws and its not like I'm going out to propose this to Stern, but what does everyone think of this? I think a college education could help curb some of the immaturity we see in the league.

VikingsMagic
05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm getting increasingly tired with some of the behavior I'm seeing from the NBA's greatest athletes in recent years. This is just my opinion, but a lot of it is just lack of professionalism and maturity. I truly think time spent in college would have helped careers for guys like lebron, dwight, KG, Kobe, and so on. Don't get me wrong, these are great players with amazing talent who have had incredible careers thus far. But when looking at the pool of high school to NBA and one-and-done players the amount of negative stories and problems coming from them seem much greater than guys that had experience playing in college.

My solution to one-and-dones is simple. Just like in any typical workplace an employee gets monetary incentives for their academic and work experience.What if an NBA player could not be given a max contract without a college degree and at least two years experience in college?

First of all, a one and done can still go into the league and make millions and "feed their families."
Secondly, with two years college experience it's extremely possible to play out your rookie contract and complete school during the summer to be eligible for a Max contract as soon as possible.
Lastly, this puts less pressure on teams and less leverage to the players seeking a trade to the team that will sign them to a max contract.

I know there could be some flaws and its not like I'm going out to propose this to Stern, but what does everyone think of this? I think a college education could help curb some of the immaturity we see in the league.

College education or not, there will still be immature players in the NBA so that is not going to work, look at the NFL, Chad Ochocinco, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss have college educations and they are still immature

Dade County
05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
I really don't like the fact that the players/students have to go to college for 1yr in the 1st place.

And do you mean they can never get a max contract "EVER" no matter how long they play in the NBA?

How about if a player wants to forgo college, they have to start in the D league 1st... The NBA will have to up the pay of the D leaguers first; but this way everyone is happy that is involved.

justjames
05-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Not a good idea and the players will never, ever agree to it.

NoahH
05-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I really don't like the fact that the players/students have to go to college for 1yr in the 1st place.

And do you mean they can never get a max contract "EVER" no matter how long they play in the NBA?

How about if a player wants to forgo college, they have to start in the D league 1st... The NBA will have to up the pay of the D leaguers first; but this way everyone is happy that is involved.

This is an interesting idea

billsftw
05-22-2012, 06:38 PM
i reckon this is a good idea
alot of these players are useless to society once you take them out of basketball
they pretty much live off their earnings until they're broke

SteveNash
05-22-2012, 07:21 PM
So just give the player $1 less than the max, genius.

ThornMo
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
I just think there should be a monetary incentive for college.
It's much different in sports like minor league baseball where you can get drafted out of high school and be forced to live off a small salary until you earn it in the pros. They learn discipline that way and it's fine. Top bball and football players are spoon fed in their sports most of their lives until they retire and then a ton of them end up broke

JohnnyOutcast
05-23-2012, 12:34 AM
I just think there should be a monetary incentive for college.
It's much different in sports like minor league baseball where you can get drafted out of high school and be forced to live off a small salary until you earn it in the pros. They learn discipline that way and it's fine. Top bball and football players are spoon fed in their sports most of their lives until they retire and then a ton of them end up broke

So are you saying that there there is a lower percentage of immature players in baseball than NFL/NBA? If you are then you're wrong. There are unprofessional people in every sport.

Plus

You kind of ruined your own argument by throwing in football players since they already are forced to go to college for at least 3 years, and (according to you) a ton of them still end up broke due to immaturity and lack of professionalism. There is no link between professionalism and whether or not an athlete spent a certain number of years in college. There are some guys that go to college for 3-4 years that are immature and guys that go straight to the pros and are very level-headed..................

heyman321
05-23-2012, 12:42 AM
No, this is a stupid idea. Despite the overwhelming opinion of like 10 people on PSD, and Steve Kerr's random thoughts sometimes, nobody cares about unprofessionalism and cockiness. It adds to the stigma of sports.

Shammyguy3
05-23-2012, 01:09 AM
I think that's a great idea. Players that came out after only 1 season of college education could only get a max of "X" dollars, whereas the 2 seasons would be the largest contract possible in the NBA.

Interesting.. maybe in another CBA the league will get it done. Unlikely though.