PDA

View Full Version : JP Arencibia - AL Player of the Week

Bob_at_york
05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia was named the American League player of the week on Monday.

Arencibia had four home runs, 10 RBIs and seven runs scored in six games last week. He batted .360 and went 9-for-25.

Itís the 26-year-oldís first weekly MLB honour and marks the first time a Blue Jays catcher has won the award.

A month ago, I would have bet good money that we wouldn't hear Arencibia and "Player of the Week" in the same sentence. He has really turned it around.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/1181882--blue-jays-j-p-arencibia-named-american-league-player-of-the-week

Dol-Fan
05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
The only hitters on the team I'd expect to get this award are JPA and Jose. Both just have that ability to go off for a few games in a row. JPA is as streaky as they come. Good on him though, nice to see a Jay getting recognition.

FlakeyFool
05-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I could see edwin winning it too...hes extremely streaky

Dol-Fan
05-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I could see edwin winning it too...hes extremely streaky

How could I forget...

pebloemer
05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I was pleased to see this. Nice to see his bat coming alive. Hopefully he can sustain it for a while.

H-MYK
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Good job JPA :clap:

mtf
05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I think Arencibia is batting higher on the season now than Encarnacion, at least he was at one point early in tonight's game vs. Tampa.

After Encarnacion starting the season at .330 and Arencibia starting at .095, it's quite a turn around for both.

KaiserSose
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I think Arencibia is batting higher on the season now than Encarnacion, at least he was at one point early in tonight's game vs. Tampa.

After Encarnacion starting the season at .330 and Arencibia starting at .095, it's quite a turn around for both.

This is not true and really not hard to find either

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/tor/toronto-blue-jays

mtf
05-23-2012, 05:49 PM
This is not true and really not hard to find either

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/tor/toronto-blue-jays

I posted that during the game yesterday, and at the time it was true, hence the portion of the quote that clearly specified that scenario. Not really that hard to read either.

wagnall
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
1st Jays catcher to win, surprised, but hopefully this isn't his only 15 minutes of fame. Needs to keep it going.
EE seems to be slowly heading south. Hope not, we need his bat, but wouldn't be the 1st time.
Way to go JPA! :clap:

2009mvp
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Love all the talk about EE slowing down, as if he was supposed to hit like Bautista all year. No **** he's slowing down from a 1.000+ OPS pace, either way he's still one of the better hitters on the team.

mtf
05-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Love all the talk about EE slowing down, as if he was supposed to hit like Bautista all year. No **** he's slowing down from a 1.000+ OPS pace, either way he's still one of the better hitters on the team.

Well, to be fair to those who are critical, they aren't wrong. He has slipped from a 1.054 OPS in April to a .691 OPS in May thus far. It's a pretty big dive. Sustaining 1.000+ would be nice, but anything above .800 would be reasonable to ask. He's still at .887 for the season, but it's coming down, not going up. He raised expectations (for some, not me) with his first month and his second half last year.