PDA

View Full Version : Will Kobe ever accept a secondary role?

dnewguy
05-22-2012, 09:09 AM
It is pretty clear that the Lakers need to start building around Bynum but that can only happen if Kobe is willing to sacrifice. Kobe needs to be like Duncan and take a step back and play a supporting role at this age but it seems Kobe always want the spot light. As we see in the Western conference semi-finals, Bynum had to force shots up when he gets the ball because he does not know when next he will get the ball, compare that to how relaxed and efficient he seem to be when the offense is run through him (when Kobe was out). According to several rumors, Dwight Howard was not interested in playing for the Lakers because of Kobe's shot taking/ball domination habits, it seems like Kobe is starting to rob off on the Lakers in a wrong way. Kobe rarely makes his teammates better, all he does are jump shots, rarely passes or assist other teammates. How can the Lakers make Kobe accept a secondary role? should he be traded so the Lakers can start a quick rebuilding process or do you think the Lakers are still good enough to win it all with Kobe as primary facilitator.
Even with Kobe accepting a secondary role the Lakers will be better off because Kobe will have enough energy left to close games in the 4th IMO.

Hellcrooner
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
no, and we are paying for it this last two seasons.

beasted86
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd rather you just hit them with a "Discuss." than pretend this was a real thread for debate.

Anyway Bynum is not ready to be a number one option. He still doesn't pass well out of the double team, and doesn't show up with the consistent effort on the defensive end he should. That's the main difference between him and Howard.... no matter what is going on with his offense or touches, Howard shows up pretty much every night on the defensive end and on the glass. When Bynum starts doing that, and if he stays healthy, he could become be the best Center in the NBA.

Until then, let Kobe keep forcing shots because he's the best option on the Lakers to close out games. He's also not getting paid $25M to be a secondary player.

Cal827
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
1. Lakers won't trade him b/c he has a NTC, a huge contract (26 or so million), and he is arguably the best player in their history (Magic Johnson is another candidate for that).

2. I agree that Bynum should be focused on more on offense as there is a huge discrepancy between the top 2 centers (maybe 3) and the rest of the group.

3. Kobe has already said he's gonna continue his playing like that and retire when he's fallen off ppg-wise. He probably won't accept the number two role on a team. At best, they can hope for the 1A-1B split.

4. I know Kobe is selfish on the court at times, but it's not like he's a horrible passer. For a shooting Guard, 5 assists per game is good lol

NBAfan4life
05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
I think it would be super interesting if Kobe got Amnestied. I KNOW IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. I wouldn't really want it to happen either because I'm a Laker and Kobe fan, but it would be interesting to see where he signed.

Would he sign with a team that put him in the best position to win a championship, the biggest market, or a team with tons of potential.

Save it Crooner I already know your response.

tcav701
05-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I think it would be super interesting if Kobe got Amnestied. I KNOW IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. I wouldn't really want it to happen either because I'm a Laker and Kobe fan, but it would be interesting to see where he signed.

Would he sign with a team that put him in the best position to win a championship, the biggest market, or a team with tons of potential.

Save it Crooner I already know your response.

They would amnest Pau before Kobe. And an amnestied player does not "sign" anywhere. I am baffeled why nobody understands the rules even after the Billups situation.

Either way theres no good trade out there for Kobe.

The only scenario that could happen and by that I mean less than the chance of hitting powerball, is if the Knicks sign Phil Jackson and trade Melo for Kobe.

But with that said, its not gonna happen.

Kobe retires a Laker.

NBAfan4life
05-22-2012, 09:28 AM
They would amnest Pau before Kobe.

Either way theres no good trade out there for Kobe.

The only scenario that could happen and by that I mean less than the chance of hitting powerball, is if the Knicks sign Phil Jackson and trade Melo for Kobe.

But with that said, its not gonna happen.

Kobe retires a Laker.

I totally understand that he won't be amnestied. They make to much money off his likeness and owe him to much money.

I just think it would be interesting if they did for cap space and to sign a star. It would also give him a clean slate to sign anywhere. I wonder where he would go.

tcav701
05-22-2012, 09:37 AM
I totally understand that he won't be amnestied. They make to much money off his likeness and owe him to much money.

I just think it would be interesting if they did for cap space and to sign a star. It would also give him a clean slate to sign anywhere. I wonder where he would go.

Not sure if you saw my last post edit, but an amnestied player DOES NOT get to sign wherever they want.

They are not free agents at that point.

dodie53
05-22-2012, 09:42 AM
no way in hell kobe accepts a secondary role

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Lol Bynum ready to be the 1st option lol with his lack of heart and passion **** no he just doesn't have the mentality of a franchise player! Ship his *** out Mitch!and no Kobe is still good enough to be the 1st option

ldawg
05-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Sorry but Bynum is not good enough for a first option. If Lakers traded Bynum and move Pau back to center La would be sweeping OKC. Bynum in a double end in two ways a turn over or a fast break buy the other team.

BobbyHillSwag
05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
i hate to say this about one of my favorite players but he needs too and nothing is wrong with it.

ldawg
05-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Bynum will be the worst franchise player in Lakers history. Look I like bynum but he is not the 1A type. If i did not know Bynums age i would think he is 33yrs old. No way okc would have beaten a core of Kobe, Pau, Howard.

shep33
05-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Problem is Kobe is still the best player on LA and the only guy outside of Metta who competes every night.

THE GIPPER
05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Wait, so you're asking if Kobe would put the teams best interest before his own? Yeah, not gonna happen.

IIISSKiLL
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Bynum will be the worst franchise player in Lakers history. Look I like bynum but he is not the 1A type. If i did not know Bynums age i would think he is 33yrs old. No way okc would have beaten a core of Kobe, Pau, Howard.

i think Howard is overrated. Okc would have still taken the series it was Kobe in the 4th that lost this series

Hellcrooner
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM

nope, brown would ahve still misused Pau.

But if you tell me Paul, KObe, Artest, Odom and Pau

then yes we would ahve get them ( and everybody) Out of our way.

pity Jimbaco i so attached to his pet project because im 100% sure that if when stern vetoed the trade Jim would have called 5 minutes later offering Bynum for Paul straight up or Bynum and pick that deal would ahve gone trough.

dh144498
05-22-2012, 01:02 PM
why make your best player a secondary role?

GSW Hoops
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Problem is Kobe is still the best player on LA and the only guy outside of Metta who competes every night.

This

samanjerry
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
ron artest is a dick but he played hard this playoffs. but he will be suckier next season.
kobe will be suckier too.
the only hope is for bynum to become what is expected of him.

mjm07
05-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Thats a bit extreme. Especially since one can argue Bynum being the 2nd best Center in the game and when his mind is right(which i know is rare) can actually rival Howards #1 spot. IMO

Btw Kwame Brown would like a word with you on the "worst franchise player " award ...in NBA history of course.

Hellcrooner
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Thats a bit extreme. Especially since one can argue Bynum being the 2nd best Center in the game and when his mind is right(which i know is rare) can actually rival Howards #1 spot. IMO

Btw Kwame Brown would like a word with you on the "worst franchise player " award ...in NBA history of course.

except he never was it.

he landed into JORDANS team then it was Rips/Stackhouses and ended up in the lakers after that.

Marco22
05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
The Lakers fans are the only fans caught up into this number 1 option bull. The Lakers don't even know what style they play. They are becoming boring and predictable. And the uninform fans keep following Kobe like he's the pied piper. The Lakers must build a team and develope a playing style. Andrew does not want to be a option he wants to win as a team. When you look at The Spurs,Thunder and the Heat they play a certain way that helps them win.Lakers fans are sitting around talking about Kobe is number 1 option. It ain't about Kobe it's about what are the Lakers going to do when he's gone? The Lakers need a plan and Kobe shooting 33 shots is not a plan or a style. All it does is make teammates angry and it also loses them.

Hellcrooner
05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
The Lakers fans are the only fans caught up into this number 1 option bull. The Lakers don't even know what style they play. They are becoming boring and predictable. And the uninform fans keep following Kobe like he's the pied piper. The Lakers must build a team and develope a playing style. Andrew does not want to be a option he wants to win as a team. When you look at The Spurs,Thunder and the Heat they play a certain way that helps them win.Lakers fans are sitting around talking about Kobe is number 1 option. It ain't about Kobe it's about what are the Lakers going to do when he's gone? The Lakers need a plan and Kobe shooting 33 shots is not a plan or a style. All it does is make teammates angry and it also loses them.

if bynum was bout wins, he wouldnt have started hogging the ball and demanding touches since 2010-11 late season and playoffs.

We won with him playing the role of defensive enforcerer role player, once he wanted to get allstar touches, well thats two nice second round exits.

Coincidence?

Not at all.

lakersiznumber1
05-22-2012, 02:01 PM
all the negative threads about a warrior who played his heart out:facepalm: kobe still got it why would he. lebron james ur next lol when mia goes out why is these thread always kobes fault or lebron fault it takes a team 2 win a championship if the others dont step up the team wont go nowhere. The one two punch combo dont win championship no more its a new era

Marco22
05-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Your stupid dislike for Bynum clouds your mind about my point. Forget Bynum what style does the Lakers and Kobe play. Pass the ball to Kobe, I'm the No1 option.

NoahH
05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
No his ego is way to large

xbrackattackx
05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Just because wade stepped down to a robin role, doesn't mean other superstars will.

basketfan4life
05-22-2012, 04:04 PM
no, and we are paying for it this last two seasons.

Lakers are paying it because your boyfrien is so damn soft and emotional.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2012, 04:11 PM
lmfao, build around bynum

thats the greatest joke I have heard

LakersKB24
05-22-2012, 04:15 PM
He would! Kobe is a competitor, so if someone wants to be the #1 guy on this team he has to TAKE that role from Kobe by competing and contributing each and every night. If someone expects Kobe to just hand him the torch (see Dwight, apparently), that's not gonna happen. I think Bynum would have gotten a lot more touches if he had shown up every night and not whenever he felt like it.

AIRMAR72
05-22-2012, 04:17 PM
I'd rather you just hit them with a "Discuss." than pretend this was a real thread for debate.

Anyway Bynum is not ready to be a number one option. He still doesn't pass well out of the double team, and doesn't show up with the consistent effort on the defensive end he should. That's the main difference between him and Howard.... no matter what is going on with his offense or touches, Howard shows up pretty much every night on the defensive end and on the glass. When Bynum starts doing that, and if he stays healthy, he could become be the best Center in the NBA.

Until then, let Kobe keep forcing shots because he's the best option on the Lakers to close out games. He's also not getting paid $25M to be a secondary player.

you must be kobe byrant

8kobe24
05-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Yes Kobe will be more than happy to pass the torch. Of course, he needs someone to pass the torch to...which is?...No one at the moment.

AIRMAR72
05-22-2012, 04:34 PM
kobe has too much pride(dumb N stubborn) to accept that role but lakers are better without kobe they are a complete team without kobe the players on the lakers are happy without kobe but management cant trade kobe nobody wants a Terrell Owns on their team who cant make the team better who basically is finish who cost too much thats is why they cant move kobe mitch was piss at kobes play lasnite bynum can carry a team in my opinion and others bynum is best bigman in the NBA along ith gasol than the kid in indiana than howard

8kobe24
05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
AIRMAR72 = Andrew Bynum

Lakers + Giants
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Nope. Simple as that.

numba1CHANGsta
05-22-2012, 06:03 PM
How can you build around Bynum when he couldnt dominate against a one legged Perkins?

Leach11
05-22-2012, 06:04 PM
kobe has too much pride(dumb N stubborn) to accept that role but lakers are better without kobe they are a complete team without kobe the players on the lakers are happy without kobe but management cant trade kobe nobody wants a Terrell Owns on their team who cant make the team better who basically is finish who cost too much thats is why they cant move kobe mitch was piss at kobes play lasnite bynum can carry a team in my opinion and others bynum is best bigman in the NBA along ith gasol than the kid in indiana than howard

Don't ever compare Kobe Bryant to T.O. Kobe has 5 championships and has carried his team through numerous playoff series'. His team was nowhere to be found in this series and you can't blame the guy when nobody, outside of himself and Metta, showed up at all against OKC. I mean he scored 42 points on 54% shooting last game with only 2 turnovers and he still gets criticized. His teammates couldn't make a damn shot yet he is the one that gets criticized. It is an absolute joke.

kblo247
05-22-2012, 06:29 PM
We will never know under current construction of the team the past 7 or 8 years

Criticize and critique all you want but the fact is when he got Pau, Pau wasn't even mentioned in the top 20. He was a good, soft big, who got one all star nod; that was his rep. He came to LAmand his game blew up because people would single cover or even leave him to double and triple team Kobe.

Andrew developed alongside Kobe, but teams still title the floor to Kobe. Under Phil he was asked to hit the glass and be active, under Brown he was asked to set up and try to be Baby Shaq which is awful because he can't make reads on correct passes or power through contact without dribbling to establish a base.

The fact is Kobe is NOT and has not been in a situation since 02-03 where he has had to be the secondary player, as he had surpassed Shaq throughout the season and western playoffs their last two years together. All we know is that in their first title Kobe was inferior to Shaq and in titles two and three he dominated the west and deferred to win in those finals with Saq having the matchup advantage.

You have to bring in a Deron, Paul, Melo, or someone of that ilk to even test the hypothesis. You dont go out your way and say it would have been fun to play with Melo if you are him and not willing to have another elite perimeter guy and top 10, superstar in the league, not just fringe All star who you made a perennial one and winner

Pau and Andrew aren't top 10 guys. They aren't superstars. Pau has proven over and over he isn't a franchise or 1st option and Bynum just shat the bed trying to be the second when he got game planned for and topped it off with being too petulant to play hard and defend/rebound consistently if the shot wasn't falling.

That said, it is highly possible he would just to up his ring count on all the Lakers and show Shaq ow he should have had his back and handled the situation

NBAfan4life
05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Not sure if you saw my last post edit, but an amnestied player DOES NOT get to sign wherever they want.

They are not free agents at that point.

I forgot about that rule change.

albertc86
05-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Correction: Duncan hasn't taken a "step back" to let Parker run the show in San Antonio. Age caught him with him.

Kobe is a freak of nature and is putting up numbers that no one expected him to at this juncture of his career. Think of all the all-stars/superstars that came in with Kobe. Are they still playing at a high level? No. Kobe shouldn't take a secondary role if he's still playing at a level that would make him the primary option on any team. Hell, even if he played on the Heat with LeBron and Wade, who do you think they would defer to? Kobe is no ordinary superstar, or player for that matter, because he has truly defied age thus far. What he's doing on the court is remarkable.

5ass
05-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Where are all the people that said bynum was the MVP of the lakers? Bynum is the 3rd best player on the lakers. Maybe next time u'll learn not to get caught up in stats.

It should be
1.kobe/pau
2.bynum

LakersIn5
05-22-2012, 09:29 PM
kobe would IF someone on his team deserves to be the no. 1 guy but now neither bynum or gasol is. had bynum been the no.1 then okc would have swept lal and win by 20 everygame

netsgiantsyanks
05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
you think the allen iverson situation was bad? just imagine if mike brown asks kobe, "would you mind taking a secondary role while we develop our other players?"

his reaction: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbnid=rgF8Y6MitoXGxM:&imgrefurl=http://www.averagebro.com/2010_08_01_archive.html&docid=iemRWTyFV7pyjM&imgurl=http://1.bp.b

Bruno
05-22-2012, 10:27 PM
It is pretty clear that the Lakers need to start building around Bynum but that can only happen if Kobe is willing to sacrifice. Kobe needs to be like Duncan and take a step back and play a supporting role at this age but it seems Kobe always want the spot light. As we see in the Western conference semi-finals, Bynum had to force shots up when he gets the ball because he does not know when next he will get the ball, compare that to how relaxed and efficient he seem to be when the offense is run through him (when Kobe was out). According to several rumors, Dwight Howard was not interested in playing for the Lakers because of Kobe's shot taking/ball domination habits, it seems like Kobe is starting to rob off on the Lakers in a wrong way. Kobe rarely makes his teammates better, all he does are jump shots, rarely passes or assist other teammates. How can the Lakers make Kobe accept a secondary role? should he be traded so the Lakers can start a quick rebuilding process or do you think the Lakers are still good enough to win it all with Kobe as primary facilitator.
Even with Kobe accepting a secondary role the Lakers will be better off because Kobe will have enough energy left to close games in the 4th IMO.
no its not. bryant just finished posting the 5th highest playoff PER of his career.

bynums knees are glass, he has no explosiveness, is incapable of passing out of double-teams and is thus incapable of being a#1 option on a championship team. you don't give max money to those knees.

whats clear is the LAL needs to trade for an all-star level PG with one of the bigs. bringing back lamar to fill the void of the traded player in the front court wouldn't hurt either.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Not as the Lakers are currently constructed. I think there are only a small number of players that Kobe would take a back seat to, and the Lakers don't possess any of them.

Bruno
05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Not as the Lakers are currently constructed. I think there are only a small number of players that Kobe would take a back seat to, and the Lakers don't possess any of them.

i was talking about this with some buds. who are those players??

we also discussed the hypothetical of LBJ joining the Lakeres in 2014-2015 if Miami isn't able to get a title by then in a blow-up scenario (LBJ would be thirty, Kobe would be thirty-six). LeBron has a player option for 2014-2015 and Christian Eyenga is the only Laker signed through the 2014-2015 season (qualifying offer).

boolish
05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Kobe has a new goal for next year. to get an assist.

Bruno
05-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Kobe has a new goal for next year. to get an assist.
:rimshot:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ast_career_p.html

7th all time in post-season assists says whats up.

BKLYNpigeon
05-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Yes. it would have been CP3.

but where are you going to find another superstar?

ManRam
05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
I mean, if it's 3-4 years from now and he's clearly not a #1 option, then yes, I think of course he'd accept a secondary role. If we're talking the next year or two? No way. It's not in his DNA.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 10:49 PM
i was talking about this with some buds. who are those players??

we also discussed the hypothetical of LBJ joining the Lakeres in 2014-2015 if Miami isn't able to get a title by then in a blow-up scenario (LBJ would be thirty, Kobe would be thirty-six). LeBron has a player option for 2014-2015 and Christian Eyenga is the only Laker signed through the 2014-2015 season (qualifying offer).

Right now? If they landed Dwight, Kobe should accept a #2 role. I don't think anyone else that can realistically be attained he would slide to that #2 option though.

kblo247
05-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Right now? If they landed Dwight, Kobe should accept a #2 role. I don't think anyone else that can realistically be attained he would slide to that #2 option though.

Still doesn't change the fact Kobe needs reasonable perimeter help. Kobe has battled perimeters for years especially in the playoffs by doing the jobs of 1, 2, and 3.

Going to have to swallow pride and look at Odom, because that is still the closet thing Kobe has had in his whole career as a perimeter facilitator beside Walton for that 2 year window, night in and night out.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Still doesn't change the fact Kobe needs reasonable perimeter help. Kobe has battled perimeters for years especially in the playoffs by doing the jobs of 1, 2, and 3.

Going to have to swallow pride and look at Odom, because that is still the closet thing Kobe has had in his whole career as a perimeter facilitator beside Walton for that 2 year window, night in and night out.

Well, Kobe needing help isn't a usual concept, but at this stage of his career, if he wants to win a title, he will probably have to be #2.

Evolution23
05-22-2012, 11:22 PM
They should get the white mamba to be the #1 option and then Kobe can be a role player.

BradfordIsElite
05-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Not at the level he's still playing at.
You can put him on any team in the NBA, including the Heat, and there would be no difference in the way he approaches the game and how other stars would co-exist along side. Maybe not every night you will see him putting up the most numbers or completely taking over, however, he's still gonna be the leader and the man who every teammate will listen to. His scoring is still too good and overall, he's still a fantastic player 16 seasons into his career.

Evolution23
05-22-2012, 11:25 PM

I doubt Kobe would take a backseat to any player. He's just competitive player that borderlines selfish at times. If they get Dwight, I can see Kobe getting into arguments with him.

naps
05-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Never.

With him it's "I am first" and then everything else including Lakers and his own wife.

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-22-2012, 11:50 PM
KoBe haters are funny... That is all!

RapOZo
05-23-2012, 12:15 AM
leading the nba with 31.2 PPG (43%) against great young hungry defenders, and you are rushing about putting him as a secondary option, behind who????
there are maybe 2 players in the whole league who could play first option over kobe.
the only question to rise here is What changes the lakers need to do in order to have a better secondary option playing for Kobe.

son, "Kobe hater" pours out of your pores into every line you just typed in.

Bruno
05-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Never.

With him it's "I am first" and then everything else including Lakers and his own wife.

Is your SIG supposed to be ironic? You bash the concept of hating on public figures, yet the above post seems to display personal resentment of the individual. if you wana criticize his game, fine. but how can you have that as your SIG when you go around posting stuff like that?

khaleesi
05-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Nah.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Is your SIG supposed to be ironic? You bash the concept of hating on public figures, yet the above post seems to display personal resentment of the individual. if you wana criticize his game, fine. but how can you have that as your SIG when you go around posting stuff like that?

Jealousy, because he knows his boy LeBrick won't ever even be close to sniffing Mamba's ring count.

Bruno
05-23-2012, 12:32 AM

dwight howard isn't a #1 option offensively (for championship teams?). even when he took the Magic to finals in 2009 as their best player, he was 4th in FGA per game. i think even if dwight and kobe played together, they might run the offense through dwight, but kobe would end up with more fga per game by the virtue of howards lack of aggression on the post/ he gets the line so much.

justjames
05-23-2012, 02:16 AM
Kobe will only accept a #2 role if someone takes it from him. No one on the team has the heart, desire and will to do it.

ldawg
05-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Kobe, Josh smith, Howard

ewing
05-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Kobe isnt a secondary player.

JordansBulls
05-23-2012, 11:11 AM
For someone like Dwight Howard yes, for someone like Andrew Bynum no.