PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant: 6th Player in Playoff history to score 40 Points with 0 Assists

Fresno
05-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Interesting.

greg_ory_2005
05-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Where did you find this stat lol?

TrueFan420
05-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Who are the other five

Raps18-19 Champ
05-22-2012, 12:40 AM
I do this all the time on PS3.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg736/scaled.php?tn=0&server=736&filename=dquda.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Fresno
05-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Where did you find this stat lol?
Box Score:
Kobe Bryant: 18-33 42 points 5 rebounds 2 steals 0 assists

Playoff tracking (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player=&match=game&year_min=&year_max=&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=Y&game_num_type=team&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=pts&c1comp=gt&c1val=40&c2stat=ast&c2comp=eq&c2val=0&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts)

MintBerryCrunch
05-22-2012, 12:41 AM
can you blame him.. haha

Jayrich28
05-22-2012, 12:43 AM
go job kobe..................lol

boolish
05-22-2012, 12:43 AM
he took his team out of the game. they got destroyed. he also abused PAU all game. Really lousy teammate.

Fresno
05-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Who are the other five

Karl Malone, Amare Stoudemire(2x), Reggie Miller, Bonzi Wells, & Ben Gordon.

SportsAndrew25
05-22-2012, 12:48 AM
What is the difference between a buck and a basketball in Kobe's hand?

The buck can be passed.

Jumi
05-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Other guys didn't hit the wide open shot!! Pau bricked three by my count, Blake missed the corner three, Bynum's hooks were off! I'd shoot too if everyone else isn't doing their part! Of all the games in this series, this is one game Kobe didn't shoot too much! His FG% will good until the fourth quarter when everyone else decided to miss everything and OKC hit three baskets in a row! What would you've done?

Damn I can't believe I'm defending Kobe, but I saw heart and hustle from a guy that didn't want to lose! This game wasn't the "I shoot everything because I'm Kobe!" This was a guy that wanted to win!!!!

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Unwritten law says we can not criticize Kobe.

5 rings!

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-22-2012, 12:55 AM
he took his team out of the game. they got destroyed. he also abused PAU all game. Really lousy teammate.

You totally hate Kobe lmfao he destroyed the team lmfao only reason it was close until the 4th was because of Kobe! These threads are pointless **** the hate!

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm realizing Hawkeye is a Kobe hater... Really dude he just had an amazing game is it his fault his team can't hit a shot when he passes it

numba1CHANGsta
05-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Fact: Kobe has the same amount of rings to the same amount of points scored from the Lakers bench tonight LOL

Swashcuff
05-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Not in playoff history however this data only dates back to the 1986 post season. He's also the only player to score 60+ in a regular season without registering an assist since the last 27 years+.

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Hawkeye if your gonna close my thread for showing kobe love then you might delete this one 2 since its full of hate! My thread had nothing wrong with it

JoeyBoy718
05-22-2012, 01:00 AM
I have to take a moment to applaud Kobe. I know his window is closing but he still shows glimpses of his prime, and it will be sad in a year or two when he those glimpses are never seen again. He is an amazing player and he really surprised me this season.

That being said, he did take his time out of the game. You can't totally blame him because Pau and Bynum have failed to step up many times now. However, Kobe, being the veteran he is, needs to take more of a leadership approach and try to motivate his teammates in situations like this. That's the great thing about Tim Duncan. Kobe needs to be a coach on the floor and needs to instill confidence in his teammates, not shake confidence.

DudeItsZoltan
05-22-2012, 01:26 AM
you do realize in order to get an assist the other guy has to make the shot??? Zero assists does not mean he never passed the ball

MetroMan
05-22-2012, 01:27 AM
How can kobe get an assist when his team mates bricks the shot or catches the ball, dribbles and misses/turn over

UPRock
05-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Excuses and Excuses, he could've done at least 1 Assist, but he didn't lol

C-Style
05-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Hawkeye if your gonna close my thread for showing kobe love then you might delete this one 2 since its full of hate! My thread had nothing wrong with it

:clap::clap::clap:

C-Style
05-22-2012, 01:32 AM

;)

C-Style
05-22-2012, 01:34 AM
This guys let anything that leads to hate towards anything Lakers related to stay on the NBA forum...But if it's anything positive they send it to the Lakers forum. I noticed this

shep33
05-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Does this even matter though? I don't like that he had 0 assists, but I mean, he's the reason they were even in this game tonight. Bynum was awful on both ends, Pau played hard, but just couldn't get it going offensively this series. The bench at one point were outscored 33-3 I believe.

PLAYERS FAN
05-22-2012, 01:40 AM
how many hockey assist he had? I thought a assist is when your teammates make the shot?

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-22-2012, 01:47 AM
This is a big issue?

Kobe still Black Mamba *****in hataz!!!!!!!! :rock:

TheJesus
05-22-2012, 01:49 AM
You don't have to pass well to be great. Just look at Tim Tebow..

Bruno
05-22-2012, 01:51 AM
only five other players in playoff history?

thats really elite company.

TheJesus
05-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Gilbert Arenas in 07 would have shattered Kobe's mark tonight. That man wouldn't even pass the ball to himself.

Longhornfan1234
05-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Only 10 assists away from a double double.

basketfan4life
05-22-2012, 02:33 AM
Excuses and Excuses, he could've done at least 1 Assist, but he didn't lol

So what would be the difference? Just one assist? 14 point loss? what the **** is the difference between zero and 1 assist in a 16 point loss?

Now we dropped everything and bashing the guy who played an absolutely amazing bball game? GTFO.

popo85
05-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Gilbert Arenas in 07 would have shattered Kobe's mark tonight. That man wouldn't even pass the ball to himself.

Lmaoooooo

sharqstealth
05-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Fact: Kobe has the same amount of rings to the same amount of points scored from the Lakers bench tonight LOL

What can the bench do if Kobe is not passing them the ball...

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-22-2012, 03:07 AM
What can the bench do if Kobe is not passing them the ball...

Says Carmelo Anthony. :laugh2:

naps
05-22-2012, 03:56 AM
Why is this a thread? It's Kobe and that's who he is. I wouldn't be surprised if any me-first guy didn't even have a single assist.

kblo247
05-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Kobe also set another record and became the player to play the most minutes in the history of the nba playoffs after tonight.

Kobe Bryant has played 8,640 minutes in his 220 career playoff games (2 3/4 seasons) the most of any NBA player, ever.

https://twitter.com/#!/LakersReporter/s ... 9104869376

He's essentially played 19 seasons of nba basketball

DaLakerz Rulz
05-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Did you guys watch the game or the series as a whole? Kobe may be a ball hog and take dumb shots, but this Laker roster is a straight up joke. Other than Artest and Fisher before he was traded, its full of timid pansies who are scared of the big moment. There are absolutely no consistent shooters on the team. The ball essentially gets passed back to Kobe like a hot potato. Kobe getting 4-5 assists (if players could even hit open shots) would have made no difference anyway.

Fresno
05-22-2012, 04:29 AM
If LeBron ever went for 40 and no assists in a loss in an elimination game, this entire site would be bashing him.

I love the double standard.

Continue on.

basketfan4life
05-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Why is this a thread? It's Kobe and that's who he is. I wouldn't be surprised if any me-first guy didn't even have a single assist.

But the thing is, he passed the ball to shooters a lot today, and Pau, they couldn't hit open shots, now it's Kobe's fault he scored 42 on over %50 fg ?

Was it not a problem if he scores 15 but has no assist? Come on, people can't be serious about this.

naps
05-22-2012, 04:51 AM
If LeBron ever went for 40 and no assists in a loss in an elimination game, this entire site would be bashing him.

Continue on.

Exactly.

The very same people who are defending Kobe here wouldn't sleep tonight, bash the **** out of LeBron, and make this thread a 50+ page monster full of hatred. Also, there would have been 10+ threads if LeBron had the exact same game in an elimination game. And thread making would continue on that for next 365 days.

Gotta admire the double-standard. It's an art. I get it. Some people can master this, others can't.

kblo247
05-22-2012, 06:08 AM
Kobe passes to Sessions - Missed layup
Kobe passes to Sessions for open 3 - dribbles in traffic, turnover
Kobe passes to Blake - Missed corner 3
Kobe passes to Pau - free throws drawn
Kobe passes to Bynum - missed hook
Kobe passes to Ebanks - clock expires
Kobe passes to Ron - missed three
Kobe passes to open Pau who hits Ron for layup - not hockey

**** off with the bs and watch the game before you comment on mighty boxscore warriors

Guys hit threes and layups and it is a 5-7 assists night.

Bring up the fact Kobe for the last 3 games of the series averaged 38ppg, 7rpg, 2spg, and 4apg while you are at it

basketfan4life
05-22-2012, 06:15 AM

**** off with the bs and watch the game before you comment on mighty boxscore warriors

Bring up the fact Kobe for the last 3 games of the series averaged 38ppg, 7rpg, 2spg, and 4apg while you are at it

No they have to bash him for no reason, outside of game 2 last 2 mins, Kobe had a hell of a series, but it doesn't work that way.

But this is PSD what do you ecpect? if Mia loses to pacers a lot of people will do it to LBJ too, this is how it works here.

StinkEye
05-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Karl Malone, Amare Stoudemire(2x), Reggie Miller, Bonzi Wells, & Ben Gordon.
that's some great company right there

Unwritten law says we can not criticize Kobe.

5 rings!
oh my!

How can kobe get an assist when his team mates bricks the shot or catches the ball, dribbles and misses/turn over
I love the exaggerations made about Kobe's teammates by Lakers fans.

Kobe also set another record and became the player to play the most minutes in the history of the nba playoffs after tonight.

he's been playing in the NBA since he was 12.

StinkEye
05-22-2012, 06:20 AM

Continue on.

I don't think LeBron could actually do that.

basketfan4life
05-22-2012, 06:30 AM
I don't think LeBron could actually do that.

Lebron had a 21 points and 0 assist game against Houston an a bad %fg. Not in playoffs but still, His new teammate Shane Battier locked him up, now what about that?

Is it better to score 21 on a bad %fg than 42 on great %fg ?

Kevj77
05-22-2012, 06:58 AM
I was upset at Kobe at times during this series, but you can't be mad about this game. Kobe didn't cost the Lakers the game he kept them in it for three quarters.

Sessions 1-6
Bynum 4-10 foul trouble
Gasol 5-14
MWP 4-5
LA Bench 2-7
Kobe 18-33

It was tied at 70 when Sessions made a terrible pass near the end of the 3rd that Westbrook took the other way for an and one, it changed the momentum and Westbrook went off after that. OKC blew it open to start the 4th with Kobe on the bench both Pau and Bynum on the court.

What do people honestly expect him to do?

Weezy
05-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Kobe is an incredible player and I know many of us will miss watching him play in a couple of years.

Swashcuff
05-22-2012, 09:37 AM
I think is fairness to Kobe the title of this thread should be changed by a mod since it is misleading.

albertc86
05-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Here's a fact for you haters... Zero assists doesn't mean that he didn't pass the ball. It means his teammates didn't make a shot when he did pass it. It says more about his teammates than it does about him.

/thread

ChicagoJ
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I think kobe was just trying to do whatever he could to win the game. His team wasn't helping him, and many times when players have huge statistical games it's because their team isn't playing well so they are forced to do it. Better stats is when a guy gets hot and goes on a streak of some sort in the 4th quarter to help his team win the game rather than having a monster game in a loosing effort.

LA_Raiders
05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Who else can score on the team?

Cal827
05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I do this all the time on PS3.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg736/scaled.php?tn=0&server=736&filename=dquda.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

:laugh: Just Awesome

alexander_37
05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
can you blame him.. haha

Yes very easily....

the avenger
05-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Wrong... Kareem Abdul-Jabbar holds the record:rolleyes:

Ebbs
05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
. . . The crazy is everyone at the bar thought he played an unreal game lol.

Hellcrooner
05-22-2012, 02:35 PM
i know something.

The ball was getting to pau and Drew the first three quarters in games 2, 4 and 5.

Team was winning or tying the game.

they stopped receiving the ball in the 4th ( dont take my word check how many touches did pau take in the 4th quarters this series).

The results we all have witnessed.

willabeast77
05-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Lebron had a 21 points and 0 assist game against Houston an a bad %fg. Not in playoffs but still, His new teammate Shane Battier locked him up, now what about that?

Is it better to score 21 on a bad %fg than 42 on great %fg ?

If LeBron had the game, Kobe had with 40+ pts on 30+ shots with 0 assists and his team lost, he probably would be receiving far more criticism than Kobe.
Kobe wasn't the sole reason the Lakers lost gm 5 but he was apart of the loss.

DaLakerz Rulz
05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
i know something.

The ball was getting to pau and Drew the first three quarters in games 2, 4 and 5.

Team was winning or tying the game.

they stopped receiving the ball in the 4th ( dont take my word check how many touches did pau take in the 4th quarters this series).

The results we all have witnessed.

They got blown out when Kobe was sitting....

Dade County
05-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Jamie Foxx show/voice.... pass the ball Kobe.

AIRMAR72
05-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Does this even matter though? I don't like that he had 0 assists, but I mean, he's the reason they were even in this game tonight. Bynum was awful on both ends, Pau played hard, but just couldn't get it going offensively this series. The bench at one point were outscored 33-3 I believe.

you cannot blame bynum if you know you got SKILLZ and you dont touch the ball because your teammate trying his hardest to be like mike you not going to play either bynum is only human kobe talking trash to gasol on the court kobe is a fake leader kobe WILL to win his FAKE throughout kobe career he drop mega points losing the game with his selfish fake jordan style

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
you cannot blame bynum if know you got SKILLZ and you dont touch the ball because your teammate trying his hardest to be like mike you not going to play either bynum is only human kobe talking trash to gasol on the court kobe is a fake leader kobe WILL to win his FAKE throughout kobe career he drop mega points losing the game with his selfish fake jordan style

What the hell did I just read? :confused:

TmacBryant
05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
What the hell did I just read? :confused:

a 9th grader who plays video games and has a 2nd graders reading comprehension.

sep11ie
05-22-2012, 05:16 PM
you cannot blame bynum if you know you got SKILLZ and you dont touch the ball because your teammate trying his hardest to be like mike you not going to play either bynum is only human kobe talking trash to gasol on the court kobe is a fake leader kobe WILL to win his FAKE throughout kobe career he drop mega points losing the game with his selfish fake jordan style

It's a shame. If only your parents knew how to read the condom's directions for use then we wouldn't have had to read that.

natelpete
05-22-2012, 05:19 PM
You totally hate Kobe lmfao he destroyed the team lmfao only reason it was close until the 4th was because of Kobe! These threads are pointless **** the hate!

Unless it's Lebron, of course.

Hangtime
05-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Bynum was atrocious in that game. The Lakers bench would have been better served staying on the bench. Pau tried, just couldn't get it going very long. When you factor in all that no wonder Kobe got frustrated and tried to take matters into his own hands. Of course it led to Kobe ball, taking difficult shots but DAMN, honestly who could blame him. Bynum was beyond disappointing. Perkins got in his ****. Too much inconsistency for a man who most people tout as one of the top two centers in the game.

Bruno
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM

he's still behind KAJ in total playoff minutes. he will pass KAJ in minutes next post-season, and he will likely pass KAJ and MJ to become the leading scorer in NBA playoff history in 2013 (only needs 348 points to become all time leader in post-season points).

what is this sorcery?

They got blown out when Kobe was sitting....
he doesn't watch the games, are you surprised he missed this? LAL got blown out of the game while bryant was on the bench in the 4th, while bynum and pau floundered around the post with pathetic pg's who can't distribute the basketball. the lead head already ballooned to 13-15ish by the time he came back into the game.

haggis
05-22-2012, 05:36 PM
@BrianCardinal 10 assists away from a double/double...

https://twitter.com/#!/briancardinal/status/204787624827826176

LGhost
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Why exactly did Kobe need an assist? He was efficient as hell shooting... They aren't playing the triangle, it isn't his job to feed the big men. If he was being doubled teamed and was shooting poorly like usual then I would agree he should find the open man. Otherwise let Sessions and Blake find the open man and feed the post...

C-Style
05-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Tell me what school you went to so i know not to take my kids there...

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm realizing Hawkeye is a Kobe hater... Really dude he just had an amazing game is it his fault his team can't hit a shot when he passes it

I am a self admitted Kobe hater. This season he was guilty of shooting his team out of games constantly. But I still think he is a bad *** player, just needs the right coach at this point of his career to settle him down and keep him under control.

You can hate a player, and still be rational about his evaluation. It's called being mature...

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
This guys let anything that leads to hate towards anything Lakers related to stay on the NBA forum...But if it's anything positive they send it to the Lakers forum. I noticed this

Not true in the slightest. I closed that thread because it was an thread started with intent off a user's pure opinion. If someone starts a thread with facts, like this one, why shouldn't it stay open for discussion?

Threads that are started to do nothing but start trouble get closed. Simple.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 07:35 PM

hahahahaha

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 07:37 PM

oh exactly dude. I mean, there were at least 3 opportunities that I was watching where I saw a player blow a WIDE OPEN layup or interior shot that Kobe set them up on. This whole 0 assists is so arbitrary.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
If Kobe would have shot 60 times we probably would have won. Lol

Blitzbolt
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Not a big deal but he should atleast have 3 or 3 assist even with all those miss shots from his teamates.

greg_ory_2005
05-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Kobe is too good. He doesn't need to pass. Especially when all of his teammates are missing shots.

Fresno
05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
oh exactly dude. I mean, there were at least 3 opportunities that I was watching where I saw a player blow a WIDE OPEN layup or interior shot that Kobe set them up on. This whole 0 assists is so arbitrary.

It does speak volumes Kobe passed the ball only 8 times in a 48 minute game, in favor of taking 36 shots in total(including times when he was fouled)

That really is hard to believe.

You cant go 1 on 5 and win a game.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Not a big deal but he should atleast have 3 or 3 assist even with all those miss shots from his teamates.

It really isn't. So if he had 34 points and 3 assists, this thread never exists, even though he provided the same amount of production.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Kobe still led the Lakers in assists throughout the series.

Look at Bynum's numbers.

How many rebounds did he have?

What was his shooting %age?

How many times did he get out hussled?

Kobe put us on his back and the other players couldn't even help out a bit.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
It does speak volumes Kobe passed the ball only 8 times in a 48 minute game, in favor of taking 36 shots in total(including times when he was fouled)

That really is hard to believe.

You cant go 1 on 5 and win a game.

I know Laker fans have defended him all year, but all of them have also gotten on Kobe for his ballhogging this year.

What did they think would happen with Mike Brown coaching? He has no idea how to run an offense, and Kobe simply overtook him as the coach at times.

Again, its Kobe. He prefers to shoot. The 0 assists were an oddity, but not that big of a deal. He has never been a player who distributes, so its not as if this one game statistically means much.

kblo247
05-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Why exactly did Kobe need an assist? He was efficient as hell shooting... They aren't playing the triangle, it isn't his job to feed the big men. If he was being doubled teamed and was shooting poorly like usual then I would agree he should find the open man. Otherwise let Sessions and Blake find the open man and feed the post...
Co-sign

Sessions, Pau, Bynum and Ebanks combined to shoot 11/34 FG. The team was 2/11 from downtown (Kobe 1/6, but he was 18/33 overall). The bench scored 5 points on 2/7 shooting and the team scored 13 points in the fourth quarter.

dh144498
06-19-2012, 12:02 PM
when Kobe scores less but racks up assists - haters: "kobe is hurting the team, he can't score"
when kobe scores 40+ with low assists - haters: "kobe is hurting the team, he's a selfish player"

make up your minds...........

Stinkyoutsider
06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Hey, players he passes to have to make the shot. Otherwise, he doesn't get the assist. Sometimes, games like those can lead you to thinking that he was selfish when he wasn't.

When Kobe finally understood that no one else on the team can make a shot, he took the ball in his hands and tried to win the game. If I was his teammate and I wasn't hitting my shot, I would want Kobe to take over too. That would take the pressure off me on that end and I could focus on doing other things on the court.

dh144498
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
assist is such an illusional statistic. Alot of people judge a player's selfish/selfless -ness purely based on the assists, when they really should watch the games to make such a judgement.

Fresno
06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
when Kobe scores less but racks up assists - haters: "kobe is hurting the team, he can't score"
when kobe scores 40+ with low assists - haters: "kobe is hurting the team, he's a selfish player"

make up your minds...........

I dont think anybody has ever seen that happen.

dh144498
06-19-2012, 11:52 PM
I dont think anybody has ever seen that happen.

game 7 vs nuggets. 17 pts 8 assists. Pretty sure people criticized him for it.
:shrug:

Fresno
06-20-2012, 12:59 AM

No they didn't.

When Kobe actually looks to get others involved, people don't complain.

torocan
06-20-2012, 01:21 AM

Don't know about that. Lots of people I know thought it was one of Kobe's better games.

He isn't the 2005 Kobe anymore, and needs to age a bit more gracefully. It's better for the Team.