PDA

View Full Version : What can the Lakers do to get better?

NYSpirit1
05-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I really don't think they can do much. The smart thing to do would be to trade Gasol for a higher pick and start rebuilding with a young star like Barnes next to Kobe.

If they can get a high pick for Gasol.

But they are in one of the worst situations in the league with like $80 million committed to Bynum, Gasol, Artest and Kobe alone.

And I think they'd be too stubborn to start a full rebuild around Kobe by getting rid of everybody and I don't think Kobe would stand for it. But the truth (which may be hard to take for Kobe) is he's never winning another ring as long as OKC and Miami are around.

It's funny because that rejection of the Chris Paul trade literally changed the entire landscape of the NBA and the Laker franchise maybe for the next 20 years. Had they got rid of Gasol for Chris Paul, they would have easily been in the NBA Finals this year and would have contended until Kobe retired, instead they're stuck in the mud.

Gators123
05-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Amnesty Kobe.

Gram
05-22-2012, 12:12 AM
I really don't think they can do much. The smart thing to do would be to trade Gasol for a higher pick and start rebuilding with a young star like Barnes next to Kobe.

But they are in one of the worst situations in the league with like $80 million committed to Bynum, Gasol, Artest and Kobe alone.

The Lakers will have a hard time finding a taker for Gasol's contract while getting a high pick at the same time.

JJ_JKidd
Matt Barnes?

Chill_Will_24
Amnesty Kobe and rebuild

Gram
Amnesty Kobe.

:laugh2:

Fad3Away
05-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Lol since when was Matt Barnes star? He has been terrible this entire playoffs.

kjoke
05-22-2012, 12:14 AM
I can only imagine this team with Chris Paul :laugh2:

Really sucks for Lakers fans

shep33
05-22-2012, 12:15 AM
They have some nice pieces in Gasol and Bynum to deal. Pau only has 2 years left on his contract, and he's better than Amare and Boozer when he's playing the 5.

greg_ory_2005
05-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Harrison Barnes duhhhh.

shep33
05-22-2012, 12:16 AM
That CP3 deal still kills me... but it's over, so I can't ***** about it anymore lol.

robbnen#31
05-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Lol since when was Matt Barnes star? He has been terrible this entire playoffs.

Troll?

Harrison, not Matt.

SpaceJamJordans
05-22-2012, 12:17 AM
hire kurt rambis

Chill_Will_24
05-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Harrison Barnes duhhhh.

The Lakers should do anything and everything to get him.

Bravo95
05-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Barnes? Wtf lol

Chacarron
05-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Harrison Barnes duhhhh.

I :love: you.

K0BE8124
05-22-2012, 12:23 AM
My plan Amnesty Kobe
Sign KG
Trade Gasol for a pick and a Scorer or Bench
Trade Bynum
Different bench
all those things can be done Get Howard thru Bynum
and Williams when we amnesy Kobe

BALLER R
05-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Blow it up. Roster to coaches

lakerboy
05-22-2012, 12:27 AM
San Antonio stayed put and is on the verge of winning the championship. I'd retool again.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Trade Bynum for a defensive big, a good point guard, and a guy who can come off the bench and hit a open jump shot.

shep33
05-22-2012, 12:31 AM
I say just retool. Worst bench in the NBA, no shooters, nobody outside of Kobe, Pau, and Bynum that can consistently score 10 ppg

Il Mago50
05-22-2012, 12:32 AM

And I think they'd be too stubborn to start a full rebuild around Kobe by getting rid of everybody and I don't think Kobe would stand for it. But the truth (which may be hard to take for Kobe) is he's never winning another ring as long as OKC and Miami are around.

It's funny because that rejection of the Chris Paul trade literally changed the entire landscape of the NBA and the Laker franchise maybe for the next 20 years. Had they got rid of Gasol for Chris Paul, they would have easily been in the NBA Finals this year and would have contended until Kobe retired, instead they're stuck in the mud.

Honestly, all they need is to add a few shooters and they're contenders.

I didn't know that Bynum (top 2 center), Kobe (top 5 player), Gasol (top 10 big man) and Metta (great competitor, good player) is a bad situation. What they need is to get Brian Shaw in as coach which is what should've happened as soon as Jackson retired so that the triangle can be brought back where it's most ideal pieces are in place already.

Spend the MLE on Ray Allen or Steve Nash. Both are pretty much lights out shooters and can space the floor for the other players. As well, bringing in a guy like Michael Redd off of the bench next year adds another good jump shooter.

Bynum
Gasol - Hill
Metta - Ebanks
Kobe - Redd
Nash - Sessions

or

Bynum
Gasol - Hill
Metta - Ebanks
Kobe - Allen
Sessions - Morris

are legit contenders

Public Enemy #1
05-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Feels good, hate the Lakers and nice to see them get owned the last 2 years. Saying that, they aren't that far off. They need to get some stronger players off the bench, better coach, and maybe trade Gasol or Bynum. Bynum needs to be coached by the right guy and Brown isn't the right coach.

akesh99
05-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Trade Kobe and Blake to Brooklyn for Williams and Wallace, Sign Allen for MLE. Starting 5 of Bynum, Gasol, Wallace, Allen and Williams plus Sessions and MWP off the bench BOOM

TylerSL
05-22-2012, 12:47 AM
First of all to the people saying amnesty or trade Kobe need to just shut up. Kobe has been there for 16 years and is still an elite player. He is going nowhere, get over it... Also, I think it would be unwise for the Lakers to trade Bynum. IMO Bynum is every bit as dominate as Howard and he is 24 years old. First of all I would complely get a new bench. Dont resign Barnes, Murphy, Ebanks, Caracter, and decline Gouldelock. After that, I believe they should amnesty Artest, and trade Gasol. Maybe they should try to build a package to get Dwight. Open that book back up. Maybe Gasol+Hill+Blake+TPE for Dwight/Turk. If not, maybe the Jazz or Golden State would be interested in Gasol.

PG.Sessions
SG.Kobe
SF.Turk
PF.Bynum
C.Howard

Bench
sign guys in offseason

Thats what I would try to do in the offseason if I am the Lakers.

Sinestro
05-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Trade everyone....

lakersiznumber1
05-22-2012, 12:50 AM
lol at all the crack heads who say Amnesty Kobe i can see ur brain dead and dont watch la games:facepalm: lakers are fine worry about your own team we jus need some help off the bench and an average pg. We will welcome beasley in the summer so we be good at small forward

NYkillaPriest
05-22-2012, 12:52 AM
inquire about Rondo, he was rumored to be on the block this season might as well check back with that...Gasol and Sessions(centerpieces for the Lakers) for Rondo(centerpiece for Boston...of course there would be other parts to it but that would be the focal points

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2012, 12:54 AM
retool

BKLYNpigeon
05-22-2012, 12:58 AM
easy solution to keep contending without dramatically changing the chemistry of the team. Do everything in your power to sign Steve Nash.

lakersfan211
05-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Get rid of that sorry *** coach...I can't stand him...another one I can't stand is Russel Westbrook...what a prick and don't like Perkins either...another prick...I don't hate the Thunder...I just hate them 2 and I hate Mike Brown

Wade>You
05-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Lakers have some of the worst transition defense I've ever seen and that's where the series was lost. They need to change a lot of personnel in order to fix that problem. Bynum, Gasol, MWP, and even Kobe are slow getting back.

I honestly believe that Thunder players were slowing down after every defensive rebound and letting Westbrook/Harden/KD go one-on-one on a fast break because they knew the Laker players would stay behind except for whoever was supposed to cover the guy going for the fast break.

lakersfan211
05-22-2012, 01:03 AM
that being said I hope the Thunder beat the Spurs...so sick of them...lol...the Lakers can't really do much except get rid of Brown

ChicagoFan4Eva
05-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Move Kobe to SF , get a C and a SG. All done!

Bravo95
05-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Biggest issues are the bench and 3-pt shooting.

If they trade one of the bigs, they need legit shooters and better reserves in return.

kblo247
05-22-2012, 01:21 AM
That's another thing. The Lakers are the only team in the league who had no SG outside Kobe on their roster. They went by committe or feel all year with Goudelock, Blake, Ebanks, and Barnes but none stuck like Shannon or Sasha.

- Put Bynum and Pau on the market and see which gets the better offer, then keep the other to play C.
- Sign Hill back for cheap.
- Move McRoberts to Memphis who has tried to get him multiple times.
- Let Murphy go.
- Let Barnes go.
- Hope Sessions doesn't opt in, and if he does, make him the sixth man ala Van Exel with Dallas.
- Sign Odom back for cheap to start at PF as he compliments Pau and Andrew far better than they do.
- Develop Ebanks and Goudelock in summer league
- Get Kobe a backup that can play the position every game

FIRE BROWN

Wade_County
05-22-2012, 01:23 AM

I dont agree, if somehow Dwights resigns and there is some kind of Bynum swap, since Bynum will play anywhere. Nash at mle or vet min whatever. I think that team could win.

It's funny because that rejection of the Chris Paul trade literally changed the entire landscape of the NBA and the Laker franchise maybe for the next 20 years.

lol....ill take the under on 6 years and even with him OKC could still be better, but we will never know.

daboywonder2002
05-22-2012, 01:29 AM
lakers need a point guard they can trust to run an offense. no more stand still point guards that just stand there and hit open shots. kobe needs to take a down a notch. his competitive fire is also hurting the lakers. he needs to realize that when he shoots the ball 30+ times they dont win. teams are willing to let kobe shoot shoot shoot. its easy to get kobe rattled. thats a problem. all you gotta do is take away the other players. kobe gets frustrated and shoots them out of the game

ThunderousDemon
05-22-2012, 01:37 AM
The Lakers need to try and get Steve Nash

C-Style
05-22-2012, 01:48 AM
OKC deserved to win the series and it is a testament to the Lakers being bad.

Lakers had absolutely no bench, went through a wild year. I expect them to address our 2nd unit(PG, SG & SF) and hopefully trade Dwight for Bynum. I feel that Thunder put a target on themselves for the Lakers.... with a better bench and Dwight Howard the Lakers can beat the Thunder.

blystr2002
05-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Trade Gasol for someone who can score off the dribble and from the outside. It doesn't have to be equal value. I'd take 2 above average players instead of a straight up very good 4 very good. When Bynum was doubled or tired Kobe was having to shoot horrible shots with 5 seconds or less on the shot clock a lot. He needs help on the perimeter.

Bravo95
05-22-2012, 01:50 AM
That's another thing. The Lakers are the only team in the league who had no SG outside Kobe on their roster. They went by committe or feel all year with Goudelock, Blake, Ebanks, and Barnes but none stuck like Shannon or Sasha.
Yeah, I don't believe Brown should be blamed for everything that went wrong because OKC and SAS were just better teams all season but they also had continuity, whereas the Lakers had to rush it all together after all of the offseason noise. Other than Hill and Blake, none of LAL's backups stepped up when given the opportunity so that put more pressure on the (aging) starters, who eventually wore down in many of these games. Older teams need that depth.

TheJesus
05-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Pass to Kobe.

TheJesus
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Sign Iverson to be the 6th Man
Sign Marbury to be the starting PG

Trade Sessions and Pau to the Knicks for Carmelo and JR Smith

Marbury/Iverson
Kobe
JR Smith
Melo
Bynum

Championship

TrueFan420
05-22-2012, 02:07 AM
They shouldn't have tried to trade odom he was the glue even if inconsistent he made that bench so much better

Bruno
05-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Trade Bynum for a defensive big, a good point guard, and a guy who can come off the bench and hit a open jump shot.

Tyson Chandler and Jeremy Lin for Bynum?

:laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson

I better not say they should make some trades b/c every time I do, they don't.

lavell12
05-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Sign Ryan Anderson and Odom. Trade Gasol for depth at the pg and wing spots. Trade for Jj Redick.

LAOwnsAll15
05-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Lakers have been lazy for years. A good player like CP3 who goes hard 100% of the time hes playing, normally tears the lakers a new one.

We need some atheletic players, enough of these players who cant create any offense or play solid defense. Barnes is the only good hustler on the team and he puts up good #'s but isnt consistent enough.

Mave1002
05-22-2012, 02:23 AM
My plan Amnesty Kobe
Sign KG
Trade Gasol for a pick and a Scorer or Bench
Trade Bynum
Different bench
all those things can be done Get Howard thru Bynum
and Williams when we amnesy Kobe

God. Just reading your plan without commas made me tired. :(

Mave1002
05-22-2012, 02:27 AM
easy solution to keep contending without dramatically changing the chemistry of the team. Do everything in your power to sign Steve Nash.

Finally. Please do us a favor and move to LA. People in here should realize that the term "blow-up" is for sub-par teams only and "superstars" doesnt automatically win rings.

Ask the boys in south beach.

MickeyMgl
05-22-2012, 02:28 AM
The Lakers will have a hard time finding a taker for Gasol's contract while getting a high pick at the same time.

Trading Bynum is a better path to all of their goals.

Mave1002
05-22-2012, 02:30 AM

- Put Bynum and Pau on the market and see which gets the better offer, then keep the other to play C.
- Let Murphy go.
- Let Barnes go.
- Hope Sessions doesn't opt in, and if he does, make him the sixth man ala Van Exel with Dallas.
- Sign Odom back for cheap to start at PF as he compliments Pau and Andrew far better than they do.

FIRE BROWN

Add "sign steve nash" please :D

kblo247
05-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Add "sign steve nash" please :D

I would take old Jason Kidd

Supreme LA
05-22-2012, 02:41 AM

- Let Murphy go.
- Let Barnes go.

FIRE BROWN

Perfect.

Only thing I would like to add is for us to someway somehow land Deron Williams as our starting PG.

popo85
05-22-2012, 02:47 AM
1. Fire the fat coach who should be nothing more then an assistant, hire B.Shaw who knows our players and there weakness and strengths.

2. Amnesty Blake and sign Farmar

3. Give the boot to Murphy bring back Odom

4. Trade Artest back for Ariza

5. Sign Turiaf to a cheap deal and cut McRoberts

Pretty much bring back the old squad lol.

basketfan4life
05-22-2012, 02:52 AM
Nate mc millan.

b@llhog24
05-22-2012, 04:47 AM
Sign Iverson to be the 6th Man
Sign Marbury to be the starting PG

Trade Sessions and Pau to the Knicks for Carmelo and JR Smith

Marbury/Iverson
Kobe
JR Smith
Melo
Bynum

Championship
Lmao i can't stop laughing at this. :laugh:

b@llhog24
05-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Sign Ryan Anderson and Odom. Trade Gasol for depth at the pg and wing spots. Trade for Jj Redick.
Why not just trade gasol straight up for Ryan and JJ?

VikingsMagic
05-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Only way the Lakers will get better is fire Mike Brown, otherwise, they will still suck no matter what they do in free agency and in the draft

dh144498
05-22-2012, 01:02 PM
trade Gasol and Bynum. Gasol has no balls while Bynum has no heart.

WillisLovechild
05-22-2012, 01:36 PM

I think you're a little presumptuous to say Kobe will never get a ring again. The Heat and Thunder haven't won a ring yet, and they were both around last year. I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Dirk and the Mavericks, but you saw what happened there. I have also heard that if the Heat don't win this year, Riley may make a big move and ship one or two of the big three out for a top player like D12. Also, the Thunder can't keep their entire team together forever, they just won't be able to afford it.

The Lakers have an option this off-season to ditch Bynum before his huge deal kicks in. I wouldn't do that, but they could do that and then amnesty Gasol and they would have a ton of room to sign guys, but nothing to trade. Trade Gasol for whatever they can get or amnesty him. Then I would trade Bynum because his attitude is pathetic and he is just weak mentally. Hell, they could probably manage to get Odom back if they really wanted him.

torocan
05-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Fix the 2nd unit. Get a stronger back up PG, and get more shooting.

Sure, you can incrementally upgrade the towers, but it won't have nearly the the impact as stopping an opposing team's bench from running over you 30-3.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Jim Buss is running the show, the Lakers as we know it are going into a very long drought of mediocrity.

JordansBulls
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM

They can trade Gasol and get good value though.