PDA

View Full Version : Knowing what we know now about Carmelo Anthony, would you?

AMushroomStamp
05-21-2012, 09:48 PM
knowing what we know about carmelo anthony through this point in his career( 9 years or whatever its been), would you still build a franchise with him if given the option to choose 1 of these young men?

Demarcus Cousins

Kevin Love

Anthony Davis

if i told you, you could start a franchise with an 18 year old Carmelo Anthony, knowing he is a team obliterator, knowing that he quit on his team in denver, knowing he quit on dantoni,knowing he only got out of the first round once(mainly due to chauncey billups leadership), knowing his shooting percentage drops during the playoffs, would you still choose him over one of these three big men?

knowing virtually nothing about these bigs, other than 2 of them (love and demarcus) are on the cusps of becoming superstar calibur players one day, and 1 of them, at their young age, has been compared to KG and Duncan( davis)

1.if i gave you 4 options, who would you choose to start building with today?

1. love

2. Melo

3. Cousins

4. Davis

2. Would you choose any of these players instead of carmelo?

justinnum1
05-21-2012, 09:58 PM
kevin love and anthony daivs for sure

bucketss
05-21-2012, 10:00 PM
he would have eventually left my team for nyk it looked like he dead on playing at home for awhile but if he would stay id only take love over him

BobbyHillSwag
05-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Carmelo def and maybe love. I just think Carmelo hasnt had good enough players besides iverson and that Denver team was only bad because of nene was injured so they had no one to guard pau gasol because Marcus camby was a horrible man defender. I still think iverson was better for that nuggets team than billups just injuries plagued them

Becks2307
05-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I believe a lot of life happens by chance. If you redraft Carmelo Anthony now, his career could have turnt out MUCH different. Melo is a bigger talent than Love and Davis, I would go with Melo.

meloman1592
05-21-2012, 10:10 PM

:pity: you clearly dislike the man. Anthony Davis has yet to play an NBA game....Love has not even made the playoffs yet...get a clue

Becks2307
05-21-2012, 10:11 PM

you aren't winning a chip if these guys are your best players. Team would have to be stacked with a bunch of number 2/3 options

Shammyguy3
05-21-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm one of Cousins' biggest critics, but I'd easily take him over Carmelo Anthony. All three of those guys. You can't win with Melo.

b@llhog24
Anthony Davis hasn't played a game yet. :facepalm:

popo85
I'd take K.Love can shoot, rebound and pass. Needs to work on his defense though and post up game.

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Definitely not a returning user.

Chill_Will_24
Anthony Davis is the most cant miss prospect since Lebron. I would pick him over any of those guys. Melo is a glorified chucker and im glad the Nets dodged that bullet.

bucketss
Anthony Davis hasn't played a game yet. :facepalm:

he hasn't even been drafted yet lol i don't why he was added

justinnum1
you aren't winning a chip if these guys are your best players. Team would have to be stacked with a bunch of number 2/3 options

Your not winning a chip with melo being your best player either.

Beltrans Mole
05-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I'd take K.Love can shoot, rebound and pass. Needs to work on his defense though and post up game.

Melo is a better scorer than Love and his D is actually better than Love. Melo gets disrespected for not taking his team anywhere, yet Love's team has been a bottom feeder as he pads his stats. People have their hate blinders on.

meloman1592
Your not winning a chip with melo being your best player either.

because lebron has proven otherwise so far...

StinkEye
I'd give Davis the benefit of the doubt. Melo is cancer of the balls.

StinkEye
05-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Melo is a better scorer than Love and his D is actually better than Love. Melo gets disrespected for not taking his team anywhere, yet Love's team has been a bottom feeder as he pads his stats. People have their hate blinders on.

Love inherited a bad team, is in the Western Conference, has less help than Melo, and, had rubio not gotten injured, they could have made the playoffs. Heck, they would be better than that sorry excuse for a team called the Knicks. What has Melo done? Love only finished his 4th year.

Gram
05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I choose Davis because people got pissed at justin for choosing him.

Gram
05-21-2012, 10:34 PM

I'd rather build around LeBron than Melo. :shrug:

StinkEye
05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
I choose Davis because people got pissed at justin for choosing him.

Justin picked DavisNum1.

justinnum1
05-21-2012, 10:37 PM

lebron hasn't proven **** either. you do know i didn't like lebron until he came to the heat right?

NYY 26 to 7
05-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Davis has yet to play a game in the NBA and Melo was also coming off a season taking a much less talented Cuse team to their only championship ever as a freshman, Cousins are you serious?, and Love certainly is a great rebounder and good scorer but has yet to be on a playoff team and is a poor defender - he obviously has the edge with rebounding but Melo is more athletic and a better passer. Love is more David Lee than Carmelo Anthony and if he was in NY everyone would be talking about how poor of a defender he is and how he only averages 1.9 assists for his career. Why do people just try to discredit Melo? He is a scorer like many in the league before him. There aren't many triple double machienes out there especially at SF and 3.5 assists a game is pretty damn good for a SF. LeBron is a freak at his position for his passing and court vision and everyone knew that in high school. Just like everyone knew Melo was an amazing scorer and solid rebounder for a SF.

Beltrans Mole
05-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Love inherited a bad team, is in the Western Conference, has less help than Melo, and, had rubio not gotten injured, they could have made the playoffs. Heck, they would be better than that sorry excuse for a team called the Knicks. What has Melo done? Love only finished his 4th year.

Kevin Love gets points and rebounds congrats. Melo has been one of the most prolific scorers over the past 8-9 years in the NBA. Has Kevin Love even made the playoffs yet? After 4 years I know Melo did...you're argument is useless.

justinnum1
05-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Kevin Love gets points and rebounds congrats. Melo has been one of the most prolific scorers over the past 8-9 years in the NBA. Has Kevin Love even made the playoffs yet? After 4 years I know Melo did...you're argument is useless.

are you serious? love has never had the type of supporting cast as melo did. love>melo no brainer there

justinnum1
05-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Davis has yet to play a game in the NBA and Melo was also coming off a season taking a much less talented Cuse team to their only championship ever as a freshman, Cousins are you serious?, and Love certainly is a great rebounder and good scorer but has yet to be on a playoff team and is a poor defender - he obviously has the edge with rebounding but Melo is more athletic and a better passer. Love is more David Lee than Carmelo Anthony and if he was in NY everyone would be talking about how poor of a defender he is and how he only averages 1.9 assists for his career. Why do people just try to discredit Melo? He is a scorer like many in the league before him. There aren't many triple double machienes out there especially at SF and 3.5 assists a game is pretty damn good for a SF. LeBron is a freak at his position for his passing and court vision and everyone knew that in high school. Just like everyone knew Melo was an amazing scorer and solid rebounder for a SF.

davis pottential> melo pottential

some are saying he is going to be tim duncan like.

blastmasta26
05-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Melo gets criticism not simply because he is a scorer, but it seems that he scores at the detriment of his team due to bad shot selection and chucking. Some people criticize him too much and some people excuse him too much, but he has been a flawed scorer for sure.

blastmasta26
05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
By the way, what exactly does the OP mean by "knowing what we know about Carmelo"? Does that mean if we were to take him in this hypothetical situation, that he would develop exactly the same as he has in real life?

Donuts365
05-21-2012, 10:47 PM
the only way to win a championship is to create a super team melo never had a true second option on his team billups jr smith now injury old banged up amare (to be determined ) not good enough it was melo or nth whole career atlease he didnt pull a lebron to get there he just wanted to play for his home town if yall cant respect that win or lose idk wat else to tell you

NYY 26 to 7

Did you just start watching the NBA this year? Melo's first 4 years in the league were much better than Love's. Melo has never missed the playoffs and most of that was in the West (which was better then than it is now) and early on didn't have much more talent than Love has. They were both drafted by bad teams - which is why they were high draft picks. 4 years and no playoffs for a franchise player? David Lee also averaged 25/12/2 with awful defense. So what has Love done that is so amazingly special? If the Knicks are a sorry excuse for a team I don't wanna know what you think of the Wolves franchise - did you enjoy all those years of first round exits with Garnett who leaves and then somehow becomes known as a winner after losing his whole career in Minny.

BobbyHillSwag
I'm predicting right now that Davis will be a bust. It seems crazy now but watch and see

Hawkeye15
05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
I take Kevin Love

NYY 26 to 7
05-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Melo gets criticism not simply because he is a scorer, but it seems that he scores at the detriment of his team due to bad shot selection and chucking. Some people criticize him too much and some people excuse him too much, but he has been a flawed scorer for sure.

No revisionist history here because none of that was said until he came to the Knicks. Karl acted like a scorned lover and just went off trying to bad mouth Melo at every point only after he left. His teams did well in Denver and he isn't shooting more than he did then and doesn't shoot more than other teams star players. People somehow have made isolation a dirty word when in reality every team uses it and it is how Melo thrives - its better called a post up either in the midrange or low block. Melo is not a flawed scorer - if you want a triple double LeBron guy then ok call Melo a flawed player but not scorer. He can score more ways than anyone in the league and people say it all the time - people with much better basketball credentials than anyone on PSD.

popo85
05-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Like Love has any help in Minny and just because i picked Love doesnt make me a hater...

meloman1592
05-21-2012, 10:58 PM

Melo inherited a lottery denver team and brought them to the playoffs every single year...love has done no such thing yet

whitesoxfan83
05-21-2012, 11:04 PM
It's amazing how everyone sees what a fraud Carmelo is but Knicks fans.

I'd take Love.

Becks2307
05-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Davis isn't a better Talent than Melo out of College Imo.

popo85
05-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Can't judge Davis til he plays in the L.
His offensive game is raw had no go to moves or a post game for a big, Defensively he was a beast.

mdm692
05-21-2012, 11:07 PM
No revisionist history here because none of that was said until he came to the Knicks. Karl acted like a scorned lover and just went off trying to bad mouth Melo at every point only after he left. His teams did well in Denver and he isn't shooting more than he did then and doesn't shoot more than other teams star players. People somehow have made isolation a dirty word when in reality every team uses it and it is how Melo thrives - its better called a post up either in the midrange or low block. Melo is not a flawed scorer - if you want a triple double LeBron guy then ok call Melo a flawed player but not scorer. He can score more ways than anyone in the league and people say it all the time - people with much better basketball credentials than anyone on PSD.

Amen! One of the better posts I've see in psd. I applaud you :clap:.

Hawkeye15
05-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Melo inherited a lottery denver team and brought them to the playoffs every single year...love has done no such thing yet

Should we examine the difference between the team Melo was drafted by, and the team he showed up to? It's night and day.

Of course Love has done no such thing. He was drafted into a massive rebuilding process, not a playoff ready team after their FA coups and bounce back in health.

NYY 26 to 7
05-21-2012, 11:12 PM
davis pottential> melo pottential

some are saying he is going to be tim duncan like.

People also nicknamed Harold Minor "Baby Jordan". He sure was never Jordan. Davis' potential was not higher than Melo's was. Duncan stayed 4 years and developed his game and then came into a great situation to continue that development under Robinson that lead to Duncan being a hands down top 10 player of all time. So relax before getting all crazy over Davis as an NBA great. Time and time again they compare guys to all time greats because it gets people excited. Noah was a defensive force with limited offensive skills but solid passer could finish at the rim and won a title with a very talented team - Sound familiar?

People were crazy for Melo. I don't know how old you are but Melo was as hyped as anyone coming out of college and was pretty much everything for a Cuse team that won their only national title. His best support was Hakeem Warrick. Davis' starting 5 is all going in the 1st round and Kentucky has another top 5 pick (maybe #2).

People want to hate on Melo for not winning but then take guys over him who have been much less successful and make excuses for them.

justinnum1
05-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Can't judge Davis til he plays in the L.
His offensive game is raw had no go to moves or a post game for a big, Defensively he was a beast.

his offensive game is pretty decent. he used to be a guard so he has great touch for a big guy.

Kashmir13579
05-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Definitely not Cousins. Davis, maybe...

10/10 times for Love.

Kashmir13579
05-21-2012, 11:15 PM
I take Kevin Love

:laugh2:

Hawkeye15
05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Definitely not Cousins. Davis, maybe...

10/10 times for Love.

I want to adopt you.

flatbush knicks
05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
can we add earl boykins to that list

blastmasta26
05-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Isolations alone aren't bad, but they are when done too frequently. I agree that it's been antagonized too much, but you're comparing Melo to LeBron and saying that LeBron is an all around guy and Melo is a scorer. Yet LeBron scores more efficiently than Melo does, even though Melo has the multifaceted offensive game that LeBron doesn't quite have.

mavwar53
05-21-2012, 11:20 PM
If I had to choose of these 4 my order would be

Love
Cousins
Melo
Davis

the only reason Davis is below Melo is cause there is no pro years for the guy, while Melo at least can be a good trade chip down the road, if Davis doesn't pan out then you got nothing.

popo85
05-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Melo had a pretty decent team his rookie year- They brought in Andre Miller also had Camby/Nene in the post. The following year they added K-Mart. Im not hating on Melo i root for the Knicks when its not against my Lakers but Love has yet to have that many decent players around him.

Chronz
05-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Thats actually not true, Karl has always hated Melo, he just kept it within because he was hoping he would mature. He always tried to drill the team game in his head, everytime Tmac would come to play, he would make the comparison and how Melo should LEARN from his approach to the game.

setman2000
05-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Carmelo def and maybe love. I just think Carmelo hasnt had good enough players besides iverson and that Denver team was only bad because of nene was injured so they had no one to guard pau gasol because Marcus camby was a horrible man defender. I still think iverson was better for that nuggets team than billups just injuries plagued them

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. Melo has always had talent around him and the only reason Melo sniffed the WCF's was because of Billups.

setman2000
05-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Thats actually not true, Karl has always hated Melo, he just kept it within because he was hoping he would mature. He always tried to drill the team game in his head, everytime Tmac would come to play, he would make the comparison and how Melo should LEARN from his approach to the game.

You are 100% correct! Add "defense" to team play also.

greg_ory_2005
05-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I'd still take Melo over those guys.

blastmasta26
05-21-2012, 11:42 PM
:pity: If only Melo wasn't an idiot.

smood999
05-21-2012, 11:45 PM
I think that Love is the only one that can be in this convo...Davis hasn't played a game yet...remember when Beasley not Rose was the sure thing? And if you're comparing Davis and Melo's freshman yr in college...I'd go with Melo's...

Melo isn't exactly a loser like some make him out to be...his teams usually have good regular season success and I guess that's the issue with some (not so much success in the playoffs other than one yr) and that's fair...but like some have pointed out Love has yet to be on a team that wasn't one of the worst in the league record wise let alone the playoffs...this year they were on their way but it still didn't happen...

Minny doesn't have much talent...Melo had talent in Denver, but that talent was always injured and what Melo did with that team in the West back then has to be a little impressive...right? They weren't exactly as good as the Suns, Lakers, Spurs..T-Mac and Yao's Rockets, Deron's Jazz...when you put that into perspective and saw where the Nuggets would finish, you could argue they overachieved in the regular season...those other teams were clearly better and Denver was right with them...

popo85
05-21-2012, 11:52 PM
I think that Love is the only one that can be in this convo...Davis hasn't played a game yet...remember when Beasley not Rose was the sure thing? And if you're comparing Davis and Melo's freshman yr in college...I'd go with Melo's...

Melo isn't exactly a loser like some make him out to be...his teams usually have good regular season success and I guess that's the issue with some (not so much success in the playoffs other than one yr) and that's fair...but like some have pointed out Love has yet to be on a team that wasn't one of the worst in the league record wise let alone the playoffs...this year they were on their way but it still didn't happen...

Minny doesn't have much talent...Melo had talent in Denver, but that talent was always injured and what Melo did with that team in the West back then has to be a little impressive...right? They weren't exactly as good as the Suns, Lakers, Spurs..T-Mac and Yao's Rockets, Deron's Jazz...when you put that into perspective and saw where the Nuggets would finish, you could argue they overachieved in the regular season...those other teams were clearly better and Denver was right with them...

Agree with you on all points there.

justinnum1
05-22-2012, 12:02 AM

beasley never played a lick of D, davis had DPOY potential imo.

smood999
05-22-2012, 12:22 AM

you're absolutely right...but beasley dominated the college game the way durant did the prior year...rose stock didn't rise above beasley's until the last min...that's all my point was

elam83
05-22-2012, 12:38 AM
knowing what we know about carmelo anthony through this point in his career( 9 years or whatever its been), would you still build a franchise with him if given the option to choose 1 of these young men?

Demarcus Cousins

Kevin Love

Anthony Davis

if i told you, you could start a franchise with an 18 year old Carmelo Anthony, knowing he is a team obliterator, knowing that he quit on his team in denver, knowing he quit on dantoni,knowing he only got out of the first round once(mainly due to chauncey billups leadership), knowing his shooting percentage drops during the playoffs, would you still choose him over one of these three big men?

knowing virtually nothing about these bigs, other than 2 of them (love and demarcus) are on the cusps of becoming superstar calibur players one day, and 1 of them, at their young age, has been compared to KG and Duncan( davis)

1. love

2. Melo

3. Cousins

4. Davis

typical melo-hater....please close this useless thread!!!

mdm692
05-22-2012, 12:56 AM

Beasly still has potential to be a 25ppg 9rpg and 4apg guy imo, given the right circumstances of course.

Sactown
05-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Give me the Boogie Cousins!

kobemelo
05-22-2012, 01:24 AM

Demarcus Cousins

Kevin Love

Anthony Davis

1. love

2. Melo

3. Cousins

4. Davis

I'm offended that you said he quit on us in Denver cuz that did not happen idk what Melo/Denver you were watching dude... :facepalm:

kubernetes
05-22-2012, 01:31 AM

This^.

As flawed as Melo is as a player, he is an elite scorer. The number of players in this league who can create their own shot, consistently, is pretty damn small. Melo is one of those guys. Of course he's going to get more shots than anyone--when a defense clamps down he's one of the only guys on his team who can score from anywhere on the court. He's no LBJ, but no ones's like LBJ. It doesn't mean the Melo sucks. With the right team around him he can get a ring.

Monta is beast
05-22-2012, 03:47 AM
I know people will disagree, but I would take Davis over Love, Cousins, or Anthony. Love doesn't play defense, and his numbers are glorified. Cousins has character concerns. And Anthony doesn't play defense. In my opinion Davis will be a poor mans Garnet.

Monta is beast
05-22-2012, 03:53 AM
This^.

As flawed as Melo is as a player, he is an elite scorer. The number of players in this league who can create their own shot, consistently, is pretty damn small. Melo is one of those guys. Of course he's going to get more shots than anyone--when a defense clamps down he's one of the only guys on his team who can score from anywhere on the court. He's no LBJ, but no ones's like LBJ. It doesn't mean the Melo sucks. With the right team around him he can get a ring.

The same could be said about Monta Ellis. Anthony get's so much credit, but for what? He's a great scorer, sure. But he can't play with other scorers (Iverson, Stoudemire), and he doesn't play defense.

StinkEye
05-22-2012, 06:02 AM

Did you just start watching the NBA this year? Melo's first 4 years in the league were much better than Love's. Melo has never missed the playoffs and most of that was in the West (which was better then than it is now) and early on didn't have much more talent than Love has. They were both drafted by bad teams - which is why they were high draft picks. 4 years and no playoffs for a franchise player? David Lee also averaged 25/12/2 with awful defense. So what has Love done that is so amazingly special? If the Knicks are a sorry excuse for a team I don't wanna know what you think of the Wolves franchise - did you enjoy all those years of first round exits with Garnett who leaves and then somehow becomes known as a winner after losing his whole career in Minny.
I don't know whether to respond or :facepalm:

Chronz
05-22-2012, 06:43 AM
Why would anyone take Melo when hes PROVEN to be a lower tier star? At least with those other guys you have potential.

Cfrey
05-22-2012, 06:52 AM
give me kevin love everyday of the week...

love virtually put up 26 and 14 this season and doing it at such a young age.. thats why i think love's best basketball has not even been seen yet and as for carmelo, we just know he cant get it done

Cfrey
05-22-2012, 06:55 AM
and some of these melo supporters are just losing their minds hahahahaha wow kevin love is 23 years old and has been on a team with absolutely NO HELP.. rubio comes along and kevin was having a great year and we were on our way to the playoffs... but injuries happen and I fully expect us to rebound next year.. for you to say Melo when Kevin Love put up 50 some against durant and co at age 23 as a PF...

sure go ahead and take your useless wing who has proven to be capable of losing early in the playoffs and ill take my 23 year old stud

Blazers#1Fan
05-22-2012, 07:16 AM
melo and lamarcus aldridge on the blazers would be a nice team but if i could have anybody paired with LA im takin cousins or Klove

cousins
Aldridge
batum
matthews
draft pick

Aldridge
Love
Batum
Matthews
Draft pick

BklynKnicks3
05-22-2012, 08:21 AM
people really are clueless imagine if melo had okcs roster is this even a question

LAKobeBryant
05-22-2012, 11:00 AM
1 1 2 3 4 2?

LAKobeBryant
05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
people really are clueless imagine if melo had okcs roster is this even a question

are you crazy they have a SIMILAR roaster but amare just did not play at the level he was playing at suns

shumpert and sefolosha
jr smith and harden
durant and melo
ibaka and amare
perkins and tyson
westbrook and lin

I am not comparing those players I'm just saying they have a similar roaster. Aside from the point guard spot the other match ups can go both ways.

GrumpyOldMan
05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
For me it comes down to either an 18 year old Carmello (as I read in the original post) or Anthony Davis. Davis looks like he is going to be fantastic and could prove me very wrong, but Mello coming out of college carried a less talented team than Davis was on to an NCAA championship. At that point Mello was considered a winner and an elite talent. I'd take that Carmello Anthony on my team.

ball4reel
05-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Its funny how now that melo is a Knick he is a cancer, but when he was asking to be traded half the Nba wanted him. Now know1 wants him. Love and Cousins has not gotten out the cellar in the west and Davis has not played a game, But every1 talks potential. It seems to just be hate..

ball4reel
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
are you crazy they have a SIMILAR roaster but amare just did not play at the level he was playing at suns

shumpert and sefolosha
jr smith and harden
durant and melo
ibaka and amare
perkins and tyson
westbrook and lin

I am not comparing those players I'm just saying they have a similar roaster. Aside from the point guard spot the other match ups can go both ways.

:facepalm::facepalm:
You have to be kidding me.. Lin cant be mentioned in the same breath as westbrook, and jr cant measure up to harden.. wow

AMushroomStamp
05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm offended that you said he quit on us in Denver cuz that did not happen idk what Melo/Denver you were watching dude... :facepalm:

i guess you missed the comments he made after they lost the series to Utah, the trade demand, then his scoring binge before the deadline

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Demarcus Cousins

Kevin Love

Anthony Davis

1. love

2. Melo

3. Cousins

4. Davis

You know nothing about Carmelo Anthony. Therefore, I have no need to answer your condescending question. Just thought I'd let you know that your not completly informed.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-22-2012, 12:30 PM
i guess you missed the comments he made after they lost the series to Utah, the trade demand, then his scoring binge before the deadline

when did he demand a trade? :confused:

kobemelo
05-22-2012, 12:50 PM
when did he demand a trade? :confused:

This. And to OP's response the Utah series was a joke. The TEAM quit on Melo so don't gimmie that. Nothing wrong with the thread just those specific comments = blind hating, when if you watched Denver you'd know what really went down man. :cool:

NYY 26 to 7
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't know whether to respond or :facepalm:

So you went with a face palm instead of a response because you looked t the numbers and realized Kevin loves first 4 years don't come close to Melo's individually or team success. Then take a look at David Lee and you see more Kevin Love. Face palm all you want but what does love do better than melo or his teams other than rebound? Not pass not score. Please present something other than a face palm or the fact that you don't like isolation basketball. Because he has had more individual and team success than love.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Where did you get those numbers lol?

Punk
05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
What's with this board's obsession with Carmelo? Good god. Carmelo > Love for his career so far. Obviously Love's rebounding is what makes him a fantastic player.

Made the playoffs in all 9 season with Denver, unfortunately they faced some championships teams in the 1st round with LA, Spurs, Wolves (Went to the WCF).

Cousins, Love has lead their team where? This thread should be made when they make the playoffs and see how far their teams go.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Its funny how now that melo is a Knick he is a cancer, but when he was asking to be traded half the Nba wanted him. Now know1 wants him. Love and Cousins has not gotten out the cellar in the west and Davis has not played a game, But every1 talks potential. It seems to just be hate..

I only heard about Nets and Knicks

Beltrans Mole
05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I only heard about Nets and Knicks

Bulls???

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
What's with this board's obsession with Carmelo? Good god. Carmelo > Love for his career so far. Obviously Love's rebounding is what makes him a fantastic player.

this thread isnt about their career accomplishments. If you have to build around one of them, theres no doubt that more people would choose love.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Bulls???

Why the hell would bulls want Melo?

And thats half an NBA???:laugh2:

Beltrans Mole
05-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Why the hell would bulls want Melo?

And thats half an NBA???:laugh2:

You don't remember Bulls fans clammering for Melo last year before he came to NY? REALLY? And please stop acting like most teams wouldn't want a player of Melo's caliber on their roster, you're embarrassing yourself.

NYY 26 to 7
05-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Where did you get those numbers lol?

Sorry 20/12/3.5 in 2009-10 season with your condescending lol. Btw I saw you saying only 2 teams wante melo you clearly weren't paying attention and your lakers wanted melo - Kobe even talked about how gret it would be. Kobe loves melo called him his little brother. Just because melo made it known he wanted NY and other teams backed out doesn't mean they didn't want him. Only 6 teams interviewed lebron when he was a free agent did that mean only 6 teams wanted him no. Come on at least look something up.

LAKobeBryant
05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
:facepalm::facepalm:
You have to be kidding me.. Lin cant be mentioned in the same breath as westbrook, and jr cant measure up to harden.. wow

you got to be kidding me..... go re-read what i said. I'm not comparing them i just said the roasters are similar ok. and you do know that westbrook is not a point guard he's a shooting guard. Durant and westbrook DO NOT play together or make plays for each other. Their both a excellent scorer though

Ebbs
05-22-2012, 03:01 PM
I would take Melo over Cous and Davis still.

Luv Da New Pack
05-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Thank you

If I'm correct, when Melo came in he was "the man". Love had to wait behind Jefferson so we don't have the same starting point plus the Nuggets supporting cast was better.

I think people are missing the point. The question is more known vs unknown. If you know how far a guy can lead you will you take that versus someone who has strong potential but can excel, fail, or do as well?

The more conservative usually would go with the sure thing even though there is an enormous amount of baggage (remember all of the stats and quips about how well the Nuggets did after Melo left) and there are plenty that believe he's not a team guy.

I feel that your best players need to do at least two things (i.e. score+rebound, rebound+defend, defend+score, etc).

Beltrans Mole
05-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Your best player needs to be able to put the ball in the bucket at times when you need a bucket, period. Melo can score at will when he's on. That's all you really need to know. The NBA is a 4th quarter game and it comes down to who gets the fouls called and who hits the clutch jumpers with people playing in their face.

justinnum1
05-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Your best player needs to be able to put the ball in the bucket at times when you need a bucket, period. Melo can score at will when he's on. That's all you really need to know. The NBA is a 4th quarter game and it comes down to who gets the fouls called and who hits the clutch jumpers with people playing in their face.

Actually your best player needs to do a lot more than just being able to put the ball in the bucket.

Bruno
05-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Kevin Love is already a better overall basketball player than Carmelo. I'd take Melo over Couzins (attitude/actually a downgrade in scoring efficiency). It's too early to tell with Davis, who was born in 1993.

Evolution23
05-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Lets see... the Knicks already have Chandler and Amar'e locked so why would they need any of these other big men?

jimm120
05-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Thank you

If I'm correct, when Melo came in he was "the man". Love had to wait behind Jefferson so we don't have the same starting point plus the Nuggets supporting cast was better.

I think people are missing the point. The question is more known vs unknown. If you know how far a guy can lead you will you take that versus someone who has strong potential but can excel, fail, or do as well?

The more conservative usually would go with the sure thing even though there is an enormous amount of baggage (remember all of the stats and quips about how well the Nuggets did after Melo left) and there are plenty that believe he's not a team guy.

I feel that your best players need to do at least two things (i.e. score+rebound, rebound+defend, defend+score, etc).

I Don't KNOW ABOUT YOU, but last I heard, Melo has usually been one of the TOP REBOUNDING Small Forwards of the league. This year it dipped (as every number dipped), but he's consistently been a top rebounder at the SF position.

again, not a top rebounder, but usually in the top 2 or top 3 in rebounding at the SF position. SF's are expected to get around 4-6 rebounds a game. Melo consistently has gotten 7/8 rebounds a game every year.

So he's good at two things: scoring and rebounding. Plus, his defense isn't that bad. Its more about him being out of position sometimes.

smood999
05-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Who did the Nuggets lose to in the playoffs all those years? let's see...

Minny (Garnet's first yr out of the first round..made it to WCF)...next..

SAS (NBA champs that yr)...next...

LAC (maybe the first real case of under performance in the playoffs...Clips still were the higher seed though and took PHO to 7 the next round)...

SAS (NBA champs again)...

LAL (finals runner up)

then WCF lose to the eventual NBA champs, Lakers, in 6

then Utah..(53 win team...)

Melo's teams underachieved big time in the playoffs...:eyebrow:

Next point... best player he ever played alongside...Billups yrs removed from his championship with DET...how many seasons with Billups? 2...one WCF appearance...

so where is this under achievement everyone speaks about?

Should I list the better teams than the Nuggets in the Western Conference all those yrs...Spurs, Lakers, Rockets, Suns, Jazz, Mavs...anyone think that the Nuggets were better than anyone of these 6 teams..that Melo had better support than Duncan, Kobe, TMAC/Yao, Nash, D Wills, Dirk...anyone want to make that point????? But still the Nuggets were right with these teams in the reg season...so is Melo really that bad of a "star"? When has he ever had the help compared to the other stars and teams around him?

And lastly, Love has yet to be on a team that wasn't at the bottom of the NBA..Melo has never missed the playoffs or finished with anything but a winning record...how does this not seem a bit hypocritical? I get why the Wolves haven't made the playoffs but they are at the bottom every year...what aren't people seeing here?

How is it ok to criticize one for losing against clearly better opponents but it's ok for another to do the same in a worse manner but given a pass for it?

How would those Nugget teams have faired in the East those years?

smood999
05-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Actually your best player needs to do a lot more than just being able to put the ball in the bucket.

Melo has been one of the best rebounding SF since entering the league...what else does Durant do?

I think Durant is better...but what else does he do? Similar skill sets and similar things they bring to the table I'd say...not everyone is LBJ..

smood999
05-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Melo lost to the teams he was suppose to lose to...the way Love is losing to the teams many feel he should lose to...but it's ok to be at the bottom of the standings and not ok to make the playoffs every season and a trip to the WCF....this seems to be what most are arguing..correct me if I'm wrong...

I did say Love is the only one in this convo...but to say things like Love is better now and the overwhelming support for Love as if it's a no brainer...really?

Shkelqim
05-24-2012, 01:06 AM
LOL at the Durant comparison. Melo is a player i'd avoid drafting. He doesn't know the team game- He loves to take 40 shots a game, to score 20 points. Compare their efficiency scoring wise, it's not even close. Melo was better in Denver- in NYK he has everybody looking at him of course he doesn't perform nor does he care about his team. Denver got a steal in that trade-

JordansBulls
05-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Possibly Kevin Love

smood999
05-24-2012, 03:03 AM
LOL at the Durant comparison. Melo is a player i'd avoid drafting. He doesn't know the team game- He loves to take 40 shots a game, to score 20 points. Compare their efficiency scoring wise, it's not even close. Melo was better in Denver- in NYK he has everybody looking at him of course he doesn't perform nor does he care about his team. Denver got a steal in that trade-

I clearly stated Durant was better...my point was that they bring the same things to the table...Durant does it better..it was in response to another poster who stated he has to bring more to to the table than just....

18.6 shots a game is not anywhere near 40...the popular misconception that he shoots all the time every time as often as he wants...it's not the case...

Denver got the steal?...Denver, as good as they still are, they are a worse team now than they were before and I've said this before..they got back 3 starters and another rotation player just to maintain or drop slightly below the production, as a team, they were getting with Melo...tell me who is Denver going to build around? Gallo?, Wilson?, McGee? Faried?...are these players you build around or nice pieces to build around another piece?...what's the piece they're missing? Yes, Denver has more flexibility than NY..a lot more...but getting the big free agent is a challenge in itself

NY on the other hand highest winning percentage in over a decade, finally a playoff win...were these thing impressive? no...an improvement on what they were before though? yes....can you build a team around Melo more so than anyone on the Nuggets roster? yes...so how is this trade a steal? With each season that goes by it'll be more and more clear who won the trade...if you want to argue NY shouldn't have traded all those pieces and waited till free agency..fine. But that is also another debate...

to say Denver won the trade, or that Denver is a better team now than they were before or that Denver set themselves up to be better for the future..none of those things are true...

GiantsSwaGG
05-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Kevin Love and it's not even close!

JordansBulls
05-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Kevin Love and it's not even close!

Please explain how this is Kevin Love easily?

Beltrans Mole
05-24-2012, 07:09 PM

The elite players can score a bucket when they need to in the 4th quarter. That's what separates them from the rest of the league. I didn't say that's the only thing your best player needs to do...it's the most important thing. And like someone else said, not everyone in LBJ and can block shots at will and dunk over everyone.

AMushroomStamp
05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
The elite players can score a bucket when they need to in the 4th quarter. That's what separates them from the rest of the league. I didn't say that's the only thing your best player needs to do...it's the most important thing. And like someone else said, not everyone in LBJ and can block shots at will and dunk over everyone.

the question isnt whether carmelo is elite, there is no question about that, the question is is he a franchise player, and to this point in his career, he hasnt proven that he can even get out of round 1 consistantly as a #1option :facepalm:

Beltrans Mole
05-24-2012, 07:21 PM
the question isnt whether carmelo is elite, there is no question about that, the question is is he a franchise player, and to this point in his career, he hasnt proven that he can even get out of round 1 consistantly as a #1option :facepalm:

LOL he played the Miami Heat in the 1st round this year! What's so hard to understand about that? You realize that EVERY other team in the NBA is losing in the 1st round when you play Miami in the 1st round, don't you? I'm not going to beat a dead horse...it's been well documented how many times Melo has played the best team in the league in the 1st round, hence why he gets knocked out early. Guarantee the Knicks won't be an 8th seed next year, and there's a good chance they'll win a series with Lin healthy all year.

AMushroomStamp
05-24-2012, 07:23 PM
LOL he played the Miami Heat in the 1st round this year! What's so hard to understand about that? You realize that EVERY other team in the NBA is losing in the 1st round when you play Miami in the 1st round, don't you? I'm not going to beat a dead horse...it's been well documented how many times Melo has played the best team in the league in the 1st round, hence why he gets knocked out early. Guarantee the Knicks won't be an 8th seed next year, and there's a good chance they'll win a series with Lin healthy all year.

oh, i didnt realize that he played an NBA team in the first round. would you care to explain the other 8 years he didnt get out of the first for me as well? :rolleyes:

yall said the same thing last year "next year we will be contenders and would be the 3rd seed"

season ends, finish 7th seed :facepalm:

Evolution23
05-24-2012, 07:28 PM
What has love done that makes him a franchise player?

AMushroomStamp
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
What has love done that makes him a franchise player?

the jury is still out on him, davis and cousins, they havent been in the league for 9 years unlike melo, so we can still speculate and look at what they have done in the past, and consider whether or not they could be a franchise player

the poll speaks for itself, yall see the results

people would rather take a chance on what those players could be, than what they already know about carmelo

Beltrans Mole
05-24-2012, 07:53 PM
oh, i didnt realize that he played an NBA team in the first round. would you care to explain the other 8 years he didnt get out of the first for me as well? :rolleyes:

yall said the same thing last year "next year we will be contenders and would be the 3rd seed"

season ends, finish 7th seed :facepalm:

Yeah we had the 7th seed, but we were 20-5 under Woodson to end the season. We were 8-15 to start the season off. I'm not trying to make excuses but the Knicks had basically three different seasons within this season alone, and next there will be much more continuity. You ignore the fact that Melo played the best team in the NBA....of course he didn't get out of the first round.

jimm120
05-24-2012, 07:58 PM
the jury is still out on him, davis and cousins, they havent been in the league for 9 years unlike melo, so we can still speculate and look at what they have done in the past, and consider whether or not they could be a franchise player

the poll speaks for itself, yall see the results

people would rather take a chance on what those players could be, than what they already know about carmelo

First of all, you're saying that TE melo option is losing big time or something?

Secondly, you're telling me that you'd skip on melo knowin he'll be a dominant scorer and a top rebounding SF...you'd skip on building a team around that over a scoring PF with monster rebounding numbers?

Both are good options. They are, but u guys are putting melo out to be some horrid thing. Dominant scorer every year he's been in the NBA. His team was a winner of the 3rd pick (meaning horrible) and he turned them into a playoff contender in a loaded west. He'd be bounced by elite teams, simple as that.

It's like if Someone would get bounced out of the playoffs by the heat or thuder this year. No shame really. They are another level. It's like getting bounce by the Jordan bulls in the 90's...what can u do? Like getting bounced bytimmys spurs? The shaq/ Kobe lakers? Cmon.

AMushroomStamp
05-24-2012, 08:03 PM
First of all, you're saying that TE melo option is losing big time or something?

Secondly, you're telling me that you'd skip on melo knowin he'll be a dominant scorer and a top rebounding SF...you'd skip on building a team around that over a scoring PF with monster rebounding numbers?

Both are good options. They are, but u guys are putting melo out to be some horrid thing. Dominant scorer every year he's been in the NBA. His team was a winner of the 3rd pick (meaning horrible) and he turned them into a playoff contender in a loaded west. He'd be bounced by elite teams, simple as that.

It's like if Someone would get bounced out of the playoffs by the heat or thuder this year. No shame really. They are another level. It's like getting bounce by the Jordan bulls in the 90's...what can u do? Like getting bounced bytimmys spurs? The shaq/ Kobe lakers? Cmon.

:facepalm: because 2012 was the first time melo lost a first round series, and it also was the first time he lost it as an 8th seed :laugh2:

of course i would start with a pf than a sf. if you are building a franchise, the most important positions to start with in order are:

C
PF
PG
SG
SF

and are you seriously comparing the championship bulls and lakers teams to the ringless heat teams? forreal?

you guys make excuses for everything, my goodness

ohreally
05-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Davis or Love coming out of college (he's better now of course but I think the situation has swelled his head a bit).

But I'd start a team with Lee and Zach Randolph over Melo...oh, that's right, Plan 9 from Outer Space.