PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin

SpaceJamJordans
05-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Does Blake deserve all this criticism? It's only his second season and he has a lot of room to improve. I don't think people should expect a lot from him. I remember watching the Laker games and Bynum was not even playing in his early years. Now he's the second best center in the league. I do agree that Blake needs not only to play better defense but as well as expanding his offense with better shooting, footwork, and jump hook. Though these criticisms are reality, they are still a bit harsh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25fvX5wjzSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNTMlalSyas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5RlsvD4UI

justinnum1
05-21-2012, 03:37 PM
he impressed me in this playoffs, most people call him overrated but he did a good job.

PleaseBeNice
05-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes. What can he do that helps WIN games?

Method28
05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
be extremely efficient on offense and hustle out of his mind. Dude goea all out, hard not to respect that.

Clippersfan86
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/05/21/griffin-grumbling-is-too-soon-off-base/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Sekou wrote a great piece today on this topic. Must read.

Hawkeye15
05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
It was his second year in the league, first playoffs. His level of play barely fell from the regular season. He wasn't 100%, and he played just fine. I don't think people need to hammer him for this season. He had the best rookie season since Tim Duncan, so asking for a lot of improvement from such a young player was a bit much to begin with. Now, Blake definately has some things to get better at. But he posted a PER of 21.7 in the playoffs, going against 2 really good defensive teams, and big interior teams. He actually didn't shoot the ball putrid from the line, and simply needs to cut down on stupid fouls, and try and enter the playoffs healthy. The basic improvements he needs have been discusses, but to say he disappointed in this years playoffs considering his age, and tenure in the league, is premature.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
People hate flopping. If he didnt flop so much I'd go so far as to say he is still one of the leagues favorite players.

jam
05-21-2012, 04:15 PM
He's a one dimensional player who scores almost exclusively as a result of his athleticism. Despite his vertical, he's not much of a shot blocker.

Basically, he needs to improve in every phase of the game, aside from dunking.

smith&wesson
05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
for a guy who has pure raw athletic ability he plays hard. he just has to add weapons to his arsenal which will come in time if he puts the work in.

smith&wesson
05-21-2012, 04:22 PM
He's a one dimensional player who scores almost exclusively as a result of his athleticism. Despite his vertical, he's not much of a shot blocker.

he is raw. but lets not act like he isnt good at anything. for 2nd season player he is pretty dam good imo. ppl forget big men take longer to develop

SpaceJamJordans
05-21-2012, 04:23 PM

For those who actually didn't really see much Clipepr games this year... there's more to his game than dunking. He can actually post up and make a hook bank shot and he can also make jumpshots away from the basket as well. It's just overshadowed by his athletic highlights

Method28
05-21-2012, 04:27 PM
@jam

man...i cant wait until hes finally good at something then. Cause he averaged 20 + 11 on the year with a 53% fg avg. Basic numbers i know but his per was good too. Maybe he'll drop 40 + 25 a game when he has tools :rolleyes:

Oldmantrash
05-21-2012, 04:29 PM
He will never be the best player on a championship quality team.
He's a very good player, but not even close to a superstar.

He's fun to watch, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him the ball at the end of games.

The fact that he gets the publicity of a superstar will always make him overated.

topdog
05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
It's a matter of hype. When commentators and fans are trying to say he is the best power forward or a top 10 player in the NBA, the criticism is deserved. That said, there is no doubt he should get better, refine that jumper and add so actual post moves as he moves into his 3rd and 4th years. He is a young player, but way overhyped.

jam
05-21-2012, 04:45 PM
@jam

man...i cant wait until hes finally good at something then. Cause he averaged 20 + 11 on the year with a 53% fg avg. Basic numbers i know but his per was good too. Maybe he'll drop 40 + 25 a game when he has tools :rolleyes:

Dwight posted similar numbers simply on the basis of having an incredible vertical and incredibly long arms and being 6'10" and incredibly athletic. His post game is still ugly.

I actually prefer Blake's post game, but he can't do much outside of 10 feet. He is definitely a good player, but very limited.

I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, eh?

jam
05-21-2012, 04:51 PM
it's a matter of hype. When commentators and fans are trying to say he is the best power forward or a top 10 player in the nba, the criticism is deserved. That said, there is no doubt he should get better, refine that jumper and add so actual post moves as he moves into his 3rd and 4th years. He is a young player, but way overhyped.

espn ftw. :)

Chronz
05-21-2012, 07:24 PM
In all honesty Blake has alot of post moves, they are just ineffective because he bases them all on a jumper that doesnt exists. If he gets that jumper down, you will see an entirely different post game. Sadly, the J is the hardest thing to learn

kubernetes
05-21-2012, 07:41 PM
For those who actually didn't really see much Clipepr games this year... there's more to his game than dunking. He can actually post up and make a hook bank shot and he can also make jumpshots away from the basket as well. It's just overshadowed by his athletic highlights

Agreed. Every time I see him he shows considerable more versatility than just a dunker.

And yeah, he's young and rough around the edges. But he plays with energy and works hard. I really like the kid and don't know why he catches so much flack. Oh, he flops? Lol. Who doesn't flop nowadays?

mvb815
05-22-2012, 12:30 AM
blake got slapped with the superstar label way too early and that's the only problem. he had so much exposure his rookie season, everybody was jumping on the wagon. his second year in his own bubble he's just improving slowly, but when he doesn't put up impressive numbers or crazy highlights, everybody is going to look at him like he doesn't live up to the hype.

at this point it's all just unfair criticism

0nekhmer
05-22-2012, 12:42 AM
it's because the NBA puts wayy too much spotlight on him. Reason why people started to hate on Rose, and soon, KD.

FlashMacker
05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
He needs to become a better rebounder. There were a lot of games in the playoffs where he only had around 5. He needs to get double digit rebounds on a consistent basis

BKLYNpigeon
05-22-2012, 01:07 AM
he needs to average 10 rebounds a game.

MetroMan
05-22-2012, 01:10 AM
He was great for his first time.

Cracka2HI!
05-22-2012, 01:16 AM
@jam

HAHAHAHA!! Great post! The way idiots on this site bash Blake if he reaches his potential he will average 90 ppg, 45 reb, 17 ast....and 12 blocks!! LOL!!!

Cracka2HI!
05-22-2012, 01:20 AM
In all honesty Blake has alot of post moves, they are just ineffective because he bases them all on a jumper that doesnt exists. If he gets that jumper down, you will see an entirely different post game. Sadly, the J is the hardest thing to learn
Agreed. If Blake could get anyone to bite on a pump fake he'd get 5 more easy baskets a game! However I think his shot is actually a bit ahead of his post moves. I have no idea why he is so bad at the FT line, but atleast he did better in the playoffs. He had a lot of games where his jumper was falling, just not any important ones. I'd expect to see a lot of improvement in his shooting, he already has range out to the 3 point line. The talent and work ethic is there. It's not we're talking about DJ relying on his jumper LOL!

Run&Gun
05-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Agreed. Every time I see him he shows considerable more versatility than just a dunker.

And yeah, he's young and rough around the edges. But he plays with energy and works hard. I really like the kid and don't know why he catches so much flack. Oh, he flops? Lol. Who doesn't flop nowadays?

At the moment Blake has a face up game with an inconsistent jumpshot. He has great footwork while face up and good handles, but doesn't have a particular move that works for him that often. I remember looking at advanced stats that outside the restricted area he only shoots 37% during the regular season, so he's still got a lot to work on at the moment. He doesn't have a great soft touch, but if he that hook shot in traffic with a power hop and work on his jumpshot to where it's more respectable it will go miles for him.