PDA

View Full Version : How much is player development affected by the team that drafts them?

THE GIPPER
05-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Example: John Wall was drafted by the Wizards, but what if he was drafted by the Spurs? The Spurs are known for developing young players and getting all they can out of them. Is Wall a better pro right now if he is a San Antonio Spur?

Same question can be asked about Demar Derozan, Javale Mcgee, Deandre Jordan and many others who show potential but haven't lived up to it.

Of course this is partially hypothetical but not entirely. I dont think its a coincidence that teams like the Wizards, Raptors and Bobcats always seem to draft players who become busts.

thekmp211
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
i think wall will be fine, but yeah. it's a certain type of player that needs a good team to thrive. certain coaches can turn any scrub into a rotation player, like you're saying with the spurs example. look at the names on the bobcats, they were 'literally' better than their record would indicate.

Cal827
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
It has a heavy impact.

First of all, the higher picks might have the potential to be something great, but are usually raw. I picked them off first because there have been quite a few busts in the drafts in the top 10 picks. The ability to watching a veteran on the team playing a decent amount of minutes at the position they plan to play could be essential to their growth. We have seen a few guys who got the starting job right away with no competition or veteran back-up and seem to have staggered or are taking a little longer in their growth. As you mentioned: John Wall and Demar Derozan are taking a little longer then the fans have hoped to grow... wouldn't call either a bust just of yet though.

Secondly, obviously the veteran can't be a star logging huge minutes or a bunch of players at the position cause then the prospect won't be able to get on the court for games. Darko sticks out here. As a Raptor fan, I kinda think of Ed Davis, who has to play behind a bunch of guys who can play PF too (Kleiza/Amir Johnson/James Johnson/Bargnani)

Finally, the coach has a huge impact.. The systems and the tendencies of the coach on the team could vastly improve or ruin a prospect. Larry Brown I believe had problems using rookies or younger players, so it might have been difficult for younger players to develop in his system. While today, when I think of what I saw from Javale Mcgee (for the most part) in George Karl's system, I think that he is back on the track of becoming a very good center.

Heatcheck
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
To be fair, players get drafted by SA, because they have certain attributes that make them san antonio players (smart, good passers, hustle players). McGee wouldnt get drafted by SA, because he's a dummy, and regardless of his physical gifts wouldnt fit their system because his Bball iq is low.

thekmp211
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
To be fair, players get drafted by SA, because they have certain attributes that make them san antonio players (smart, good passers, hustle players). McGee wouldnt get drafted by SA, because he's a dummy, and regardless of his physical gifts wouldnt fit their system because his Bball iq is low.

that goes two ways, too though. look at captain jack, he should have stayed on that team for the rest of his life and he got greedy. finally made it back.

Hellcrooner
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Heavily.

If you get drafted by a team that doenst have a clear cut starter on your position, you may be able to win your spot quickly and grow more no matter how late you are drafted.

Thats how many of this late first or second roudner suprises happen, example Nick Van Exel in the lakers.

But instead no matter how good you are or you can be if you get drafted by a team that has a solid star at your position you are ****ed.
Just imagine 1996 , bulls draft Bryant, JOrdan has a long history of chewing his bench player sgs out in the lockeroom and training facilitys, both phisically and Mentally, he destroyed several of them, kobe is a H.S kid that happens to be good, Jordan feels threatened and goes EXTRAHARD on bullyin him.
Result? KObe ends up in europe completely destroyed in 2 years.