PDA

View Full Version : Available Good Coaches and My Grades

Clippersfan86
05-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Just wrote this on a another forum and figured I'd post here for teams like the Clippers who should be in the market for a coach. Now is a great time because many good coaches are available. We are about to head to the offseason (most teams) so it's a good topic in my opinion.

Stan Van Gundy- Been to the finals, conference finals twice, semi finals twice and even in his worst seasons got to the playoffs and had great regular seasons. Remember he was only with the Heat 2 full seasons before resigning in beginning of 3rd and in those two seasons he made the semis and conference finals. Grade- B+. Coaching style: Motivator. Abusive (for laughs but true).

Jerry Sloan- Been to the finals twice, was considered the 2nd best coach in the NBA after Phil for a decade. His resume is too massive to list. Had the guy not had to meet with the Bulls dynasty at their peak he would have rings no doubt. All time win percentage of better than 60%, which is amazing. Grade- A-. Coaching style: Strategist. Fundamental.

Phil Jackson- 11 time NBA champion. Greatest coach in NBA history. Has said nobody has called but he wants back. He would consider the Clippers due to the controversy and challenge of leading the Clippers of all teams to the promise land. Question is will Sterling want him after he's bagged on him few times. Grade- A+. Coaching style: Motivator, Stategist.

Nate McMillan- Never had a deep playoff run and his success has been average. The reason people want him is due to FIT. He's a defense first, no nonsense coach that has no problem benching a lazy player. He's still a young coach but his structure may be what a team like the Clippers need. Grade- B-. Coaching style: Hustle, Defensive.

Mike D'Antoni- People seem to want to judge this man solely by his Knicks experiment gone wrong but he is a legend in the coaching game and was one of the best in the NBA for a handful of years. Guy has 4 titles in the time he coached in Italy. At the NBA level he was considered the top offensive coach in the NBA for multiple consecutive years according to the GM poll. People falsely argue than Mike D'Antoni teams don't play defense... yet the Knicks had a top 5 defense all year and the Suns of the decade were actually middle of the pack defensively or slightly better. The idea that D'Antoni teams literally CAN'T play defense is a completely false one. The Clippers defense this year was worse than the defense of the Suns teams.

4 straight 54+ win seasons (including a 62 and 61 win season) while running the best offense in NBA history. Two trips to conference finals, one trip to semis and 2 first round exits. Take away the Knicks experiment and he has a great coaching resume. Knicks are very talented but Mike was a terrible fit. Grade- B Coaching style: Strategist, offensive.

Paul Silas- His coaching history in comparison with these others is more sketchy but I feel that's due to circumstances for the most part. The guy has always been considered by peers to be a good coach. He coached the really nice Hornets teams from 99-03. He's known as a players coach just like Vinny but the difference is he has more of a game plan. Grade- C+ Coaching style: Players coach.

D12 fan
05-20-2012, 04:26 PM
If I were the Clippers I would trade Griffin/Jordan for Dwight/Anderson,then sign Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan.

SpaceJamJordans
05-20-2012, 04:28 PM
I hate DeAndre Jordan

Chronz
05-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I still want JVG

Clippersfan86
05-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Jerry Sloan: "If somebody calls me, I will listen.

Get on that Olshey!!!! Stan Van Gundy also officially available.

LAKobeBryant
05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Phil Jackson isn't available he retired. Im not saying its impossible to come out of retirement but look at his age and condition. When you say available it means their looking for a job.

TMcC801
05-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Doubt Sloan comes back. If he does, he should go to the Clippers. That team would work perfectly with the Sloan system. Just dont see him coming back. He still seems happily retired here in Utah

Blitzbolt
05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Yea clippers could be a good team with a good coach they respect.

Blitzbolt
05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Yea clippers could be a good team with a good coach they respect.

thekmp211
05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
so phil is officially on the market? he wants the knicks job i think.

chronz i think either van gundy would be awesome for you guys.

bmd1101
05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Jerry Sloan: "If somebody calls me, I will listen.

Get on that Olshey!!!! Stan Van Gundy also officially available.

on Sloan http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19124889/report-jerry-sloan-interested-in-magic-bobcats-head-coaching-jobs

GSW Hoops
05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I heard Michael Jordan is looking to hire Isiah Thomas as his head coach/GM.

AceMan
05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
What no Vinny Del Negro?

John Walls Era
05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
SVG and JVG would be at the top of my list. Not sure if Phil and Jerry wanna coach anymore.

Sinestro
05-22-2012, 07:53 PM
SVG would do very well there if not I'd like to see Sloan try it out

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Pretty much all listed are upgrades although i dont think Del Negro is as bad as everyone else seems too. He is a average coach but not awful

5ass
05-22-2012, 08:03 PM
sloan would be a good fit for the clippers.

VikingsMagic
05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
I heard Michael Jordan is looking to hire Isiah Thomas as his head coach/GM.

For real? Then Jordan should be fired on the spot, great player but horrible owner :facepalm:

SlaterRaps
05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
For real? Then Jordan should be fired on the spot, great player but horrible owner :facepalm:

Who has owner firing power? :rolleyes:

VikingsMagic
05-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Who has owner firing power? :rolleyes:

Duh Jordan, I am saying that Jordan should fire himself

TrueFan420
05-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I still want JVG

The forgotten brother and yea I believe he is the better brother coaching wise

Whomewhome
05-25-2012, 05:35 AM
People forget about the good assistants that our out there.

In no particular order

Brian Shaw
Jim Boylen
Mike Budenholzer
Mike Malone

Fnom11
05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Rate JVG

RLundi
05-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Good breakdown.