PDA

View Full Version : Would Stern Veto a FA Signing for Basketball Reasons?

Hellcrooner
05-20-2012, 12:34 PM
This is the situation.

1 L.A is fed up of Pau the Scapegoat

2 Pau is fed up of L.A

3 Jim buss wants to cut costs

4 Pau is losing trade value by the day in teh playoffs.

There may come the situation that L.a simply doesnt get a single offer for Him this summer because of Age/performance/ COntract.

So they may end up having to AMNESTY.

So here comes the question, Lets say he is amnestied.

If the HEAT/CLIPPERS/KNICKS/SPURS/BULLS sign him ( and Nash) it would be GAME OVER for 3 years for the rest of the league.

Would Stern veto the signings?

ManRam
05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
You don't get it...

Stern and the owners could veto the Paul trade because they technically owned the team. They don't own any other teams, so they wouldn't ever do that. If he started to do this with teams not under league ownership, well, he'd get run out of office, and rightfully so. Stern isn't going strike down things for the hell of it...and as far as I'm aware he can't. The league owned the Hornets at the time, which sucks but was basically a necessity, so they had every right to strike down that trade.

It was a unique circumstance. Keep that in mind.

So to answer this question, this is a firm and absolute "NO".

Gram
05-20-2012, 12:50 PM
ManRam beat me to it.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-20-2012, 12:50 PM
no lol

Sactown
05-20-2012, 12:51 PM
You don't get it...

Stern and the owners could veto the Paul trade because they technically owned the team. They don't own any other teams, so they wouldn't ever do that. If he started to do this with teams not under league ownership, well, he'd get run out of office, and rightfully so. Stern isn't going strike down things for the hell of it...and as far as I'm aware he can't. The league owned the Hornets at the time, which sucks but was basically a necessity, so they had every right to strike down that trade.

I don't understand which part of this people aren't getting?? Every owner has the right to override their GM... that's basically what happened..

Vinylman
05-20-2012, 12:52 PM
crooner...

another cry baby thread about how great pau is?

you obviously don't understand the CBA and the waiver priority process for amnestied players...

so no... if the rules of the CBA are followed david stern can't do dick

as the previous poster said the CP3 trade was turned down by the ownership group (ie stern and the other owners) not the commissioners office

Toxeryll
05-20-2012, 12:54 PM
no obviously

avrpatsfan
05-20-2012, 01:05 PM
You don't get it...

Well said.

netsgiantsyanks
05-20-2012, 01:07 PM
that chris paul situation was funny though.

JWO35
05-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Stern and the owners could veto the Paul trade because they technically owned the team. They don't own any other teams, so they wouldn't ever do that.

Si

njnets
05-20-2012, 01:12 PM
well put manram. that basically sums it up.

Gram
05-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I didn't know Laker fans were still crying over CP3. :shrug:

Giannis94
05-20-2012, 01:15 PM
what manram said.

blastmasta26
05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
You don't get it...

End thread.

Hellcrooner
05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
You are all very funny.

Dont you know that ACTUALLY, even if the claise has never been used, OWNERS can INDEED reunite vote and veto a transaction?

torocan
05-20-2012, 01:33 PM
This is the situation.

2 Pau is fed up of L.A

There may come the situation that L.a simply doesnt get a single offer for Him this summer because of Age/performance/ COntract.

If the HEAT/CLIPPERS/KNICKS/SPURS/BULLS sign him ( and Nash) it would be GAME OVER for 3 years for the rest of the league.

I'm sure LA could work a trade with NY of Pau for Amare....

llemon
05-20-2012, 01:46 PM
This is the situation.

2 Pau is fed up of L.A

It is never game over for the rest of the league

llemon
05-20-2012, 01:47 PM
You are all very funny.

Dont you know that ACTUALLY, even if the claise has never been used, OWNERS can INDEED reunite vote and veto a transaction?

And when was the last time that happened?

tcav701
05-20-2012, 01:49 PM
You are all very funny.

All the teams you listed are over the cap, teams over the cap cannot place a bid.

ManRam
05-20-2012, 01:49 PM
You are all very funny.

OK.

And it's not going to happen, and basically never does. Stern isn't going to start vetoing trades/signing suddenly. That's foolish to think.

Chronz
05-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Owners cant reunite lol wtf are you talking about. Pretty sure lots of GM's begged Stern to create some sort of a committee to veto the Pau Gasol trade that landed him in LA in the first place. If GM's could unite like that, nothing would ever get done.

greg_ory_2005
05-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Crooner, please stop making stupid threads like these.

marvILLous
05-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Lol game over for the rest of the league... Chillll crooner.. Pow is not that good

pd1dish
05-20-2012, 01:56 PM
lol Steve Nash and Pau Gasol are the x-factors for the next 3 years in the NBA?

Hellcrooner
05-20-2012, 01:59 PM
lol Steve Nash and Pau Gasol are the x-factors for the next 3 years in the NBA?

what does Miami Lack?

A good PG

A decent center.

What do you think would happen if they get both for cheap?

tcav701
05-20-2012, 02:01 PM
what does Miami Lack?

A good PG

A decent center.

What do you think would happen if they get both for cheap?

I think you need to revisit the amnesty waiver system.

jimm120
05-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't understand which part of this people aren't getting?? Every owner has the right to override their GM... that's basically what happened..

exactly. Its what happened to Dwight. Orlando GM DID in fact trade him to the Nets before the season began BUT the owner then vetoed the trade.

Sucks for all parties involved. But what happened, happened.

greg_ory_2005
05-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I think you need to revisit the amnesty waiver system.

This.

jimm120
05-20-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm sure LA could work a trade with NY of Pau for Amare....

how old is Pau?

What's the length/$$$ status of his contract?

Amare is 29 and has 3 years/$63 million...so he'll be 32 when Knicks get rid of him if he finishes out. This year is NOT representative of what Amare is. Last year was. Next year he'll be better.

but yeah, so do tell what's Pau's situation.

jimm120
05-20-2012, 02:06 PM
All the teams you listed are over the cap, teams over the cap cannot place a bid.

you're right. Knicks were under the cap last year, but this year, even though its only a few players (Melo, Amare, Tyson, Shumpert, Toney), I think they're over the cap.

Hellcrooner
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
how old is Pau?

What's the length/$$$ status of his contract?

Amare is 29 and has 3 years/$63 million...so he'll be 32 when Knicks get rid of him if he finishes out. This year is NOT representative of what Amare is. Last year was. Next year he'll be better.

but yeah, so do tell what's Pau's situation.

39 millions the next two years, 34 when his contract expires.

2-ONE-5
05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Hellcrooner;22247875]This is the situation.

2 Pau is fed up of L.A

LOL but it would be game over if went somewhere else...:facepalm:

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Pau to Philly for Iggy.

Hellcrooner
05-20-2012, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Hellcrooner;22247875]This is the situation.

2 Pau is fed up of L.A

LOL but it would be game over if went somewhere else...:facepalm:

if he was 28 or his salary was 15 milllion a year AND they werent so clearly decided to trade him ( 3 failures trying to), they would have 29 good offers right away.
But his age/contract/everybody knows they want to trade him will lead to low ball after low ball.

raiderposting
05-20-2012, 02:46 PM
The op is stupid why in the world would la amnesty him in the first place? Even if he plays like *** in game 5 he still has good value. A big man that can score, rebound, pass will always be coveted. His value has dropped but not significantly. They would not just let him go for nothing when they can get a pg lik Lowry for him.

Hellcrooner
05-20-2012, 02:48 PM
The op is stupid why in the world would la amnesty him in the first place? Even if he plays like *** in game 5 he still has good value. A big man that can score, rebound, pass will always be coveted. His value has dropped but not significantly. They would not just let him go for nothing when they can get a pg lik Lowry for him.

Houston has Rejected to trade Lowry for pau several times before the deadline.

What makes you think they would change that when they are also most probably losing Dragic to Fa?

Rivera
05-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Its called "free agency" for a reason. People are free to go wherever when their contracts are up

JesusWears24
05-20-2012, 03:00 PM
**** the Heat!

Lake_Show2416
05-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Pau is horrible trade him for all u can get

YoungOne
05-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm just glad rondo-pau didnt happen, so I like when lakers dont trade

ManRam
05-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Its called "free agency" for a reason. People are free to go wherever when their contracts are up

Yeah. The fact that people actually think Stern would get in the way of free agency is mind-blowing to me. That will never happen. As much as you may hate the guy, that's just ridiculous to think could happen...

Either way, it's going to be VERY interesting to see what the Lakers do. They have almost 50 million dollars tied up in just Kobe and Pau each of the next two seasons. That's crippling. Bynum has a team option for next year, which unless he's traded, will obviously be picked up. That's three guys getting paid about 65 million bucks. Metta is still signed, Blake is still signed, Sessions has a player option. McBob is still signed...

They're gonna have to do some savvy trading to really improve this team...and I think they'll probably do just that.

I can't see them amnestying Kobe or Pau...even though it does make sense. Paying Kobe 30 million a year for the next two years to not play for you is crazy. I mean, saving 30 million in cap would be HUGE, and if they think their window of opportunity is closed, it isn't crazy...but that's a hard pill to swallow. The same goes for Pau. They're better off trading him than amnestying him.

Hellcrooner
05-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah. The fact that people actually think Stern would get in the way of free agency is mind-blowing to me. That will never happen. As much as you may hate the guy, that's just ridiculous to think could happen...

Either way, it's going to be VERY interesting to see what the Lakers do. They have almost 50 million dollars tied up in just Kobe and Pau each of the next two seasons. That's crippling. Bynum has a team option for next year, which unless he's traded, will obviously be picked up. That's three guys getting paid about 65 million bucks. Metta is still signed, Blake is still signed, Sessions has a player option. McBob is still signed...

They're gonna have to do some savvy trading to really improve this team...and I think they'll probably do just that.

I can't see them amnestying Kobe or Pau...even though it does make sense. Paying Kobe 30 million a year for the next two years to not play for you is crazy. I mean, saving 30 million in cap would be HUGE, and if they think their window of opportunity is closed, it isn't crazy...but that's a hard pill to swallow. The same goes for Pau. They're better off trading him than amnestying him.

if they cant find a suitor for any of them, because they are going to be lowballed , and woudl surely have to eat some lesser players on BAD contracts just to make salarys work.

Bynums option has already been picked btw.

JasonJohnHorn
05-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Pau is awesome. I don't think LA is even considering amnestying him.

Corey
05-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Even if he got amnestied, a team would claim him before he hit open free agency.

This is so dumb.

TO Rapz
05-20-2012, 04:02 PM
:facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-20-2012, 04:13 PM
lol this isnt nba mock offseason, where there is a trade committee

SpaceJamJordans
05-20-2012, 06:23 PM
You are all very funny.

:facepalm:

utl768
05-20-2012, 10:48 PM
two reasons why it will never even get to this

1. pau gasol easily can be traded, no reason to release him and pay his salary with no compensation

2. even if by some miracle pau gasol does get amnestied he will be picked by any number of teams before he ever sees free agency

b@llhog24
05-20-2012, 11:37 PM
You don't get it...

You should have just closed it after this response.

greg_ory_2005
05-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Crooner, please just stop.

SportsAndrew25
05-21-2012, 01:26 AM
You don't get it...

So to answer this question, this is a firm and absolute "NO".Post of the day.

kblo247
05-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Owners cant reunite lol wtf are you talking about. Pretty sure lots of GM's begged Stern to create some sort of a committee to veto the Pau Gasol trade that landed him in LA in the first place. If GM's could unite like that, nothing would ever get done.

Owners can't unite, but Stern can veto any deal according to the CBA through his commisioner powers. In fact the whole argument between LA at first was that he acted as a commisioner and not an owner and used those powers under the CBA especially when he trumped out basketball reasons

That said he used the guise of owner to veto the deal because other owners of the collectively owned team were unhappy. The problem that came from that was that they had originally agreed to let Demps act over taking in the opinions of the other owners in the Landry deal where they took in salary without approval. And the crux of the matter is the deal got vetoed because La cut the tax bill in the deal hours after signing a CBA and being told they were going to be raped under revenue sharing with their new tv deal and the tax, so it was about money

ThunderousDemon
05-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Pau is going to be traded in the offseason, that is a given Crooner. Maybe the Lakers can trade him on Draft Night for a pick.

Kevj77
05-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Pau is going to be traded in the offseason, that is a given Crooner. Maybe the Lakers can trade him on Draft Night for a pick.That is the whole point and Crooner knows it. It is his dream that the Lakers amnesty Pau and no team puts in a waiver claim so Pau can be an unrestricted free agent. He will still get paid 19 mil a year by LA and can sign for the vet min anywhere. Pau will then sign with one of the teams Crooner is hoping for be the missing piece of a dynasty then Pau will get all the credit.

This is all about Pau.

LAKobeBryant
05-21-2012, 07:56 AM
your stupid no all star or former is going to be amnestied.

Hellcrooner
05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
your stupid no all star or former is going to be amnestied.

cough, billups, cough.