PDA

View Full Version : Whoa, whoa, whoa.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Why were there two back-to-back games in the OKC/LAL series? How is that fair? I thought there was supposed to be an off day setup. Now, they're down 3-1. Unless they pull a Phoenix, it's over. I don't think it's fair, even though they would likely lose regardless.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2012, 05:58 AM
No. It'd be a great turnout, but I still don't think it's fair.
Anybody know why this even happened? Why the change from the 2 series per day split?
Just another example of how overwhelming the NBA made the schedule this year.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks. LOL. It was a shock to me.
Under this logic, shouldn't BOS/PHI had a game too?
I didn't think the Lakers could barely survive a 2nd time, though.

GrumpyOldMan
05-20-2012, 06:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken all 3 LA playoff teams (Lakers, Clippers and Kings) all play out of the Staple Centre. All 3 have home games this weekend that couldn't be changed because the tv networks set up the schedules. Both basketball teams played yesterday and hockey in today. That's my understanding anyway.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Also, apparently Westbrook is scoring at will in the paint.
I know he's fast, but Bynum and Gasol should be blocking him.
It's true they move like apathy flavored molasses but that's embarrassing.
Tonight, Bynum's defensive effort and reaction time was pathetic. (Like usual.)
Two highlights here really show it: http://www.nba.com/playoffs/2012/westseries6/index.html?ls=st&g=4&t=v

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2012, 06:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken all 3 LA playoff teams (Lakers, Clippers and Kings) all play out of the Staple Centre. All 3 have home games this weekend that couldn't be changed because the tv networks set up the schedules. Both basketball teams played yesterday and hockey in today. That's my understanding anyway.That's lame. It'd be nice if they could avoid such problems.

GrumpyOldMan
05-20-2012, 06:18 AM
That's lame. It'd be nice if they could avoid such problems.

I'm not saying it's right. All I can say is I wish we had these problems with teams making playoffs in Toronto and our shared building.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Yeah. Hopefully LAL will eek out another win to save some face.
They have to learn how to move in general and play defense though.
LAL blew another big lead tonight. How can they sleep at night?
10 points from Gasol. Plus he threw that crucial weak pass.
Bryant called him out, too. Said he's always looking to pass. He could at least pass right.

I'm not saying it's right. All I can say is I wish we had these problems with teams making playoffs in Toronto and our shared building. Someday, maybe. I like the way the Raptors are going.

If the Lakers can pull out the next game in OKC they have a legit shot at taking the series to 7 I suppose.

OKC is pulling out a lot of tough games in the playoffs. I wonder if their luck will eventually run out.

Yeah, you have to wonder about OKC's strength if they're down 10 against the diminished Lakers. How are they going to overcome a 10 point deficit against SAS? But LAL isn't going to win. They've gotta be weary from the Denver series that honestly should've ended in 5.

On a different note, how did LAC blow a huge lead?
You gotta win when you're nearly up 30 by the start of the 2nd quarter.

I definitely agree. Case in point the Phoenix Suns.
A team can't rely on miracle shots down the stretch.
I wouldn't be surprised if SAS wins. They're not being challenged at all.
LAC has the same problem as LAL. Watching people stroll into the lane.

Kamikrazy
05-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Why were there two back-to-back games in the OKC/LAL series? How is that fair? I thought there was supposed to be an off day setup. Now, they're down 3-1. Unless they pull a Phoenix, it's over. I don't think it's fair, even though they would likely lose regardless.

With the amount of fouls called in game 3, not sure they needed the rest for game 4:p

tcav701
05-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Ive said this in all 20 threads about this and for some reason nobody listens.

It was known BEFORE the second round even started that ANY team that was in a series that went a full 7 games in the first round, would have a back-to-back in the second round.

In Boston they were talking about who that would be the case if the Bulls-Sixers went 7.

Anyways, Lakers and Clippers both had their series go 7 in round 1, so know they have back-to-backs in round 2.

NothingbutWill
05-20-2012, 09:06 AM

It was known BEFORE the second round even started that ANY team that was in a series that went a full 7 games in the first round, would have a back-to-back in the second round.

In Boston they were talking about who that would be the case if the Bulls-Sixers went 7.

Anyways, Lakers and Clippers both had their series go 7 in round 1, so know they have back-to-backs in round 2.

^This and due to the time schedules. Laker fans are calling it not fair but they should of beaten Denver and not have it go to 7 games.

torocan
05-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Back to backs happened for 2 simple reasons.

1) The Players and league wanted to play 66 games instead of 50 to make more money. If they'd played 50, then the Playoffs would have had normal rest breaks.

2) The NBA couldn't extend the playoffs later than June with the Olympics this year. So the late season end would normally have just pushed the playoffs to end late, but with the Olympics it wasn't going to happen unless they decided to not Televise the finals.

So, more games plus pre-existing broadcast commitments = b2b games in the later rounds.

Sucks for the older teams (and isn't that great for the younger teams), but that's what the NBAPA and league wanted.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, it clearly gave OKC an advantage.

StinkEye
05-20-2012, 11:34 AM
The Lakers did win game 3. If anything, that gave the Thunder less time to regroup and prepare, and also gave the Lakers some momentum going into last night's game.

jimm120
05-20-2012, 11:44 AM
No. It'd be a great turnout, but I still don't think it's fair.
Anybody know why this even happened? Why the change from the 2 series per day split?
Just another example of how overwhelming the NBA made the schedule this year.

Its been stated TONS of times already, but in case you somehow missed it:

Staples center has THREE different teams in the playoffs and all the scheduling is going AROUND each team.

NHL - the Kings are playing in the playoffs as the AWAY team (Western Conference Finals)
NBA - Clippers are playing as the lower seed also.
NBA - Lakers are playing as the lower seed also.

SOMEONE was going to get screwed in all this. And it was with the back to backs for the NBA teams and crappy ICE for the Kings.

Just like how when the NY Rangers (Hockey) and the Knicks were both playing at MSG, they had to make accommodations.

ManRam
05-20-2012, 11:44 AM

This.

Come on...it's not some conspiracy or anything unfair really. The Thunder have to deal with the exact same circumstances as the Lakers, and if they benefit from it, well, good for them. Tough luck.

tcav701
05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Its been stated TONS of times already, but in case you somehow missed it:

Staples center has THREE different teams in the playoffs and all the scheduling is going AROUND each team.

NHL - the Kings are playing in the playoffs as the AWAY team (Western Conference Finals)
NBA - Clippers are playing as the lower seed also.
NBA - Lakers are playing as the lower seed also.

SOMEONE was going to get screwed in all this. And it was with the back to backs for the NBA teams and crappy ICE for the Kings.

Just like how when the NY Rangers (Hockey) and the Knicks were both playing at MSG, they had to make accommodations.

The back-to-backs would have occurred even if the Kings were not in the NHL WCFs.

Ironman5219
05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
LA teams always need an excuse when they lose.....

Huntey
05-20-2012, 04:01 PM
People don't seem to realise that it's not just the Lakers playing back-to-back... the Thunder have to play too. So there is no un-fair advantage. The Thunder have younger stars so maybe they can recover quicker but that's not their problem.

GrkGawdofWalkz
05-20-2012, 04:23 PM

The Clippers, Lakers, Spurs and Thunder all had back to backs. All four teams were effected. This season has seen back to back to back games. Give me a break. This is playoff basketball. Cry me a river.

NYKNYGNYY
05-20-2012, 04:25 PM
how is it unfair? the thunder played the game to ....

NoahH
05-20-2012, 06:16 PM
If I'm not mistaken all 3 LA playoff teams (Lakers, Clippers and Kings) all play out of the Staple Centre. All 3 have home games this weekend that couldn't be changed because the tv networks set up the schedules. Both basketball teams played yesterday and hockey in today. That's my understanding anyway.

Basketball >>>>>>>>>>> Hockey

LeMarcus
05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
how is it unfair? the thunder played the game to ....

lol this. The most logical answer all thread.

spurs4#5
05-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Lakers had two of those loses locked up they just gave those games away...back to back games isn't an excuse for losing

ccugrad1
05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't want to hear that excuse about them having to play back to back days; they do it in the regular season. Plus, I think they have way too much time off anyways during the playoffs.

Super.
05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
LA teams always need an excuse when they lose.....

So what were the excuses for game 1 and 2?

ManRam
05-20-2012, 07:47 PM
People don't seem to realise that it's not just the Lakers playing back-to-back... the Thunder have to play too. So there is no un-fair advantage. The Thunder have younger stars so maybe they can recover quicker but that's not their problem.

This is the biggest thing. Hell, it's even in LA...not in OKC. Denver gets dealt the EXACT same card...and if they can handle it better...good for them.

This is as big of a non-issue as anything ever.

Especially in this year's NBA...where back-to-backs were so prevalent. If you can't handle a back-to-back by now, well, you deserve to lose.

Lakeshow24KB
05-20-2012, 08:09 PM
lol this. The most logical answer all thread.

Damn Dwade lookin ripped in that avatar.