PDA

View Full Version : Most Bone-headed Moves by a GM

JasonJohnHorn
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm sure we've all winced at moves the GMs to some of our favorite teams made. For me, as a Toronto and Detroit fan, there are more than a few. Not the least of which is Dumars's selection of Darko over Wade, Melo, and Bosh, nor the signings of Charlie V, Ben Gordon, and the newly minted contract that Stuckey got. For Toronto's bit, I've had a painful time watching Roy Hibbert turn into an all-star and knowing we gave him up for Jermaine O'Neal. And while we are on with the Pacers, it's also a pain to know that Danny Granger could have been in a front line featuring Bosh and Hibbert had out GM selected Granger instead of Joey Graham.

But enough of the moves that I've been wincing over for the last five ro six years, lets hear about the gems the GMs to your teams have given up or passed up on.

Kings&BucsFan
05-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Kings trading the 7th overall pick (Bismarck Biyombo) (sp?) and Beno Udrih for the 10th overall pick (Jimmer Fredette) and John Salmons... Yuck

Kings trading Omri Casspi and a protected first round pick for JJ Hickson... And then releasing Hickson during the season.

Both awful moves made by the Kings last offseason.

Jarvo
05-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Donnie Walsh & Otis Smith, Otis for giving Dwight all this power and its just getting worse and Walsh trading almost everything for Melo

tcav701
05-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Kahn seems to draft/sign 5 guys that play the same position every off season.

GiantsSwaGG
05-19-2012, 02:03 PM
T Wolves front office might be the worst

NokomisLiving
05-19-2012, 02:14 PM
T Wolves front office might be the worst

Well I don't think it's that bad. Besides his drafting ability, Kahn has made some decent low risk moves and got us financially stable.

With that said, this is his make or break off season. If he doesn't make a good trade or signing he will be run out of town.

I'd take him over McHale though, Joe smith debacle and unprotected first for Marko Jaric. Really, Jaric?

ivylleague1'
05-19-2012, 02:20 PM
not signing allen iverson !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NBAfan4life
05-19-2012, 02:26 PM
For the Wolves. We could of had Ty Lawson or even Chalmers over that midget from Johnny Flynn. By the way those are choices they made not even taking into account we could of had Curry. Also drafting Edi in a loaded draft.

5ass
05-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Donnie Walsh & Otis Smith, Otis for giving Dwight all this power and its just getting worse and Walsh trading almost everything for Melo

haha Otis ****ed up a lot, but this isnt one of them. You can blame the owner for that, but who are you to tell the owner how to run his team?

ElFuturoDeESPN
05-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Greg Oden.

Blazer fans win. Or lose. Yeah, lose is correct.

5ass
05-19-2012, 02:33 PM
also i dont think u can call Kahn a bad GM anymore, he put his team in a very good position with capspace and young stars. He went about it in an untraditional way, but he pulled it off.

MagicBucsSox
05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Greg Oden.

Blazer fans win. Or lose. Yeah, lose is correct.

That's hindsight. That was the right pick at that time. Just like if Anthony Davis is a bust and brad beal becomes durant 2.0, it was the right pick

cubbies7177
05-19-2012, 02:43 PM
For the Bulls:

Tyrus Thomas for Lamarcus Aldridge

Signing Ben Wallace to a horrid contract

Signing Carlos Boozer

da ThRONe
05-19-2012, 02:51 PM

You can't blame Walsh for the Melo trade. You have to blame James Dolan he's the one who forced Walsh's hands.

da ThRONe
05-19-2012, 02:54 PM
That's hindsight. That was the right pick at that time. Just like if Anthony Davis is a bust and brad beal becomes durant 2.0, it was the right pick

It's one thing if Oden just underachieved the guys career was derailed before it ever got started and the Blazers had a ton to do with the derailment.

Rain City
05-19-2012, 02:56 PM
heat signing eddy curry when there were other bigs available in free agency.......i might consider it more of a head scratcher than a bonehead move tho.

JordansBulls
05-19-2012, 03:01 PM
The biggest one in the 2000's is probably in the draft taking Oden over Durant.

GrumpyOldMan
05-19-2012, 03:01 PM
In 2007 I think, I'm pretty sure it was Grunwald who decided to go off the board and draft Rafeal Aroujo 7th overall. He outsmarted himself instead of taking the best player available when there were lots of good players available. Andre Iguodala went next. The Raptors would love to have him right about now.

topdog
05-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Sam Cassel and this year's unprotected lottery pick for Marko Jaric and his hefty new contract :facepalm:

Drafting Corey Brewer over Noah, Hawes and Young.

Drafting Foye instead of Rudy Gay.

Trading away the Mario Chalmers pick for essentially nothing instead of taking Deandre Jordan.

topdog
05-19-2012, 03:08 PM

I still don't consider this "boneheaded." It's a mistake in retrospect but we're talking about a doinant franchise-changing center to go with your star SG and PF. It was a logical move.

That said, Durant was obviously a superstar talent but not a center.

Rivera
05-19-2012, 03:09 PM
orlando magic

drafting fran vasquez (honestly thought the time we were gonna draft granger so theres no heinsight here)

drafting varejao but then trading him on draft day for nothing

trading for agent 0

finding out deron williams got traded to jersey when we traded gortat + expirings for jrich n hedo

not trading dwight howard this past season

(i know its not a gm move but) not giving skip to my lou his regular minutes he was getting (28 +) and playing jameer to many minutes coming back from a injury where he was out for a while

not resigning pietrus

trading trevor ariza for brian cook and mo evans

no wonder why dwight wants to leave all the help we had we let go

JasonJohnHorn
05-19-2012, 03:17 PM
In 2007 I think, I'm pretty sure it was Grunwald who decided to go off the board and draft Rafeal Aroujo 7th overall. He outsmarted himself instead of taking the best player available when there were lots of good players available. Andre Iguodala went next. The Raptors would love to have him right about now.

Yeah.. him, and Granger, and Hibbert and Bosh with Jose... oh what could have been.... can you imagine that line-up?

Cal827
05-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah.. him, and Granger, and Hibbert and Bosh with Jose... oh what could have been.... can you imagine that line-up?

Also consider that we drafted Charlie V over Bynum :cry:

PG
Iggy
Granger
Bosh or Bargnani
Bynum

:facepalm:

HouRealCoach
05-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Nets traded their possible #6 pick for a guy who just left lol

Celtics traded Perkins, Robinson for a guy they probably wont see in a Celtics jersey again

Knicks had too many idiotic moves this decade to narrow it down to one

HouRealCoach
05-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Also consider that we drafted Charlie V over Bynum :cry:

PG
Iggy
Granger
Bosh or Bargnani
Bynum

Might sound stupid now because seeing what Bynum has become after years of working with the Lakers staff... But Bynum SUCKED coming into the league, Rambis admitted he had the IQ of a doorknob when it came to playing basketball so seeing that I wouldn't have drafted him either

Giraffes Rule
05-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Not at all. The boneheaded move for the Blazers is that they employ the worst medical staff in the league and don't look out for the long term healthy of their players. I don't think faulting moves because of injuries after the fact is fair at all.

justinnum1
05-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Blitzbolt
05-19-2012, 03:56 PM
The Grizzlies have ALOT but worst was Thabeet with the number 2 pick.

Chronz
05-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Pat Riley and his knack for overpaying for over the hill vets who don't fit. Hes in love with hustle players. His drafts have been mediocre as well

tmacsc2
05-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Any portland gm! Bonehead moves all around!

tmacsc2
05-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Not at all. The boneheaded move for the Blazers is that they employ the worst medical staff in the league and don't look out for the long term healthy of their players. I don't think faulting moves because of injuries after the fact is fair at all.

too bad every player they took/got....Roy,Oden,Fernandez couple others all had injuries coming into portland or in college.

idrinkpepsi
05-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Signing Hedo
Trading Hibbert for Jermaine O'Neal
Jason Kapono

KnickNyKnick
05-19-2012, 05:16 PM
knicks take the cake im afraid to admit. jerome james, eddie curry. gave away zach Randolph, jamal crawford, benched maubary his whole last year. many euro's and russians who played 2 min. alot more

bigsams50
05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Trading a first for freaking Tyrus Thomas

BranWingss
05-19-2012, 05:39 PM

I disagree. It's not like it was a bone-headed move at the time. It was a close call between either or, and Portland took Greg Oden. A lot of other teams would have done the same.

Of course, if Portland could go back, they take Kevin Durant.

chicago lulz
05-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Just want to thank MJ for taking Tyrus off the Bulls' hands.

jrands
05-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Yep, da Bulls taking Tyrus Thomas over Aldridge was boneheaded when they needed a post presence. Everyone knew they needed a post presence and the Bulls themselves even said they needed a post presence and then went ahead and picked Thomas over Aldridge...WTF????

As others have said, the Blazers picking Oden over Durant was not boneheaded. It was the right move at the time for the Blazers since they needed a center to complement Aldridge and Roy. Unfortunately it just didn't work out due to injuries. When Oden could play, he showed flashes of being a dominant center.

Yankee Clipper
05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Almost every move made by Isiah Thomas.

Giannis94
05-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Almost every move made by Isiah Thomas.

ty being a bucks fan. We had Larry Sanders who sucked as a Gm (ironically went to NYK) and now we got some one just as bad who likes to trade. I mean, I heard Portland is interested and would possibly double his slary. If they actually want him they can have him

popo85
05-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Foye for Roy at that time
Caron for Kwame Although it lead to Pau
Trading for Sucky Atkins and Christina Mihm
Denver drafting Nikolas Tskitishvili
Detroit drafting Darko
Clippers drafting Wilcox over Amare

topdog
05-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Foye for Roy at that time
Caron for Kwame Although it lead to Pau
Trading for Sucky Atkins and Christina Mihm
Denver drafting Nikolas Tskitishvili
Detroit drafting Darko
Clippers drafting Wilcox over Amare

If you include Foye for Roy, you should also include taking Sheldon Williams ahead of Gay, Roy and Foye.

There's Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

Where are the Hawks' fans? lol

THE MTL
05-19-2012, 06:49 PM

That is FAR AWAY from one of the most bone-deaded moves by a GM. We traded for Carmelo Anthony. And did he NOT drop 40pts on the Heat to end a 12-game playoff losing streak. And was player of the month for April.

Either way, with the moves made after getting Melo. Adding Chandler, Shumpert, Lin, Smith, Novak.....we are a better team.

THE MTL
05-19-2012, 06:50 PM
The right answers are: Isiah Thomas and Michael Jordan. Just those two names should suffice. Everything that they done have been stupid

llemon
05-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Trading Tyson C, then resigning Tyrus T.

Jordan even ripped off in the Chandler trade, and I believe actually took salary back from Dallas in the trade.

I'll have to look it up to be sure.

smiddy012
05-19-2012, 07:05 PM
For the Bulls:

Tyrus Thomas for Lamarcus Aldridge

Signing Ben Wallace to a horrid contract

Signing Carlos Boozer

#2 and #3 I agree with but I highly doubt we end up with the pick we got DRose with if we had LA instead of TT. So in a sense it wasn't really a "bad" mistake in hindsight... not to mention TT was considered above LA by most in that draft.

smiddy012
05-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Trading Tyson C, then resigning Tyrus T.

Jordan even ripped off in the Chandler trade, and I believe actually took salary back from Dallas in the trade.

I'll have to look it up to be sure.

Bobcats obviously take the cake in most bone-headed GM moves.

Baller1
05-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Wally Walker wins.

Spends all of Seattle's cap on Jim ****ing McIlvaine, leading to Kemp wanting out of Seattle and the end of a potential dynasty. Then three years in a row we wasted first round lottery draft picks on Johan Petro, Mouhammed Sene, and Robert mother ****ing Swift.

Solid.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Has to be the Knicks

asandhu23
05-19-2012, 07:15 PM
not exactly by one GM but look at the damned list.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7714701/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps

llemon
05-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Wally Walker wins.

Spends all of Seattle's cap on Jim ****ing McIlvaine, leading to Kemp wanting out of Seattle and the end of a potential dynasty. Then three years in a row we wasted first round lottery draft picks on Johan Petro, Mouhammed Sene, and Robert mother ****ing Swift.

Solid.

I agree on those horrible draft picks, but I've always believed Kemp was overrated.

McIlvaine was brought in to hopefully combat Shaq. Didn't work out.

Hey, I'm a Nets' fan, and know the misery that was Jim McIlvaine.

smiddy012
05-19-2012, 07:22 PM
That is FAR AWAY from one of the most bone-deaded moves by a GM. We traded for Carmelo Anthony. And did he NOT drop 40pts on the Heat to end a 12-game playoff losing streak. And was player of the month for April.

Either way, with the moves made after getting Melo. Adding Chandler, Shumpert, Lin, Smith, Novak.....we are a better team.

Felton/Davis
Lin/Shump
Gallinari/Chandler
Amare/Novak
Chandler

I don't know... IF Amare never dropped off his play like he did this season that's a pretty good to great starting 5 & core of players right there. Then again I'm not a Knicks fan so I don't know the team that well. That said it wasn't exactly a bone-headed trade on NY's part. Amare's disappearance kind of kills either team either way, but it could have to do with Melo in part, so who knows...

EDIT: I do realize this is a complete hypothetical and that part of the trade was getting rid of Curry's pathetic contract.

JWO35
05-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Anything done by Joe Dumars in the past 3yrs(excluding the past 2 drafts)

JasonJohnHorn
05-19-2012, 08:32 PM
not exactly by one GM but look at the damned list.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7714701/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps

I just got finished reading this... OMG!!! I feel SO bad for Warriors fasn... :-(
*hugs*

JasonJohnHorn
05-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Anything done by Joe Dumars in the past 3yrs(excluding the past 2 drafts)

I'm a Detroit fan. And as upset as i am about the Darko pick... I understand it. Big men are a gamble. European players are a gamble. But a LOT of teams wanted Darko that season, and I think he would have went 2nd regardless of who had the pick. Everybody was thinking that he was the next Gasol or something. It was a gamble he could afford to make as he already had a great team.

That said, there is no excuse for the Charlie V and Ben Gordon signings. If he couldnt land the guys he wanted, he should have just held onto the cap space and waited until the next season or used it to take on contracts in a trade.

Dumars though has done a good job in the draft, outside of the Darko pick, which as I said, was an understandable gamble.

Dumars is a great GM who has made some bad moves... but he's got this team a big man and that is one of the hardest pieces to get. It will be a slow process, but Detroit is doing what the Thunder and the Pacers have done. Build through the draft and wait for their bad contracts to come off the books so they can make a move in free-agency when the time arises... slow and painful, but headed in the right direction.

popo85
05-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Wow that Warriors article is sad, they gave Caffey $35mill:speechless:
http://blog.al.com/live/2008/10/Jason%20Caffey.JPG

Hawkeye15
05-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Figured I would see Kahn's name listed. Tell me something. Of all the non-playoff teams, can you name me more than 2 teams going forward you would take over the Wolves over the next 3 years?

topdog
05-19-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm a Detroit fan. And as upset as i am about the Darko pick... I understand it. Big men are a gamble. European players are a gamble. But a LOT of teams wanted Darko that season, and I think he would have went 2nd regardless of who had the pick. Everybody was thinking that he was the next Gasol or something. It was a gamble he could afford to make as he already had a great team.

That said, there is no excuse for the Charlie V and Ben Gordon signings. If he couldnt land the guys he wanted, he should have just held onto the cap space and waited until the next season or used it to take on contracts in a trade.

Dumars though has done a good job in the draft, outside of the Darko pick, which as I said, was an understandable gamble.

Dumars is a great GM who has made some bad moves... but he's got this team a big man and that is one of the hardest pieces to get. It will be a slow process, but Detroit is doing what the Thunder and the Pacers have done. Build through the draft and wait for their bad contracts to come off the books so they can make a move in free-agency when the time arises... slow and painful, but headed in the right direction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn it was a Lebron-Carmelo debate (largely favoring Lebron) for the top spot. Meaning Carmelo was a unanimous #2.

The other thing I don't understand about the Darko pick is the combination of having an immediate need for a big while knowing that most big men drafted take several years to develop and having a veteran coach that did not especially care for rookies.

Honestly, I have come to think that Dumars lucked into his championship team by assembling just the right cast of discarded players.

Following their championship and following run, he wisely let Chicago overpay for Wallace but then went about trading his best player (Billups) for someone who only plays defense when it means a steal (Iverson). Then, when there was no one bidding, Dumars went all-in on 6th man Ben Gordon and Charlie (debate over whether he was a 4 or a slow 3 when entered the league) Villanueva.

Finally, he has gone on to curiously re-sign Prince and Stuckey long-term despite needing to be in full re-build around Monroe. Meanwhile, Daye looks to be the usual sort of bust Gonzaga produces, Jerebko is a nice role player/backup and Knight may or may not find his way to being an undersized scoring pg like Stuckey.

Ebbs
05-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Blazers.

Baller1
05-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree on those horrible draft picks, but I've always believed Kemp was overrated.

McIlvaine was brought in to hopefully combat Shaq. Didn't work out.

Hey, I'm a Nets' fan, and know the misery that was Jim McIlvaine.

Fair enough that you think he's overrated, but still... Him and GP were incredible. We had a chance to win a few championships with that squad (damn you MJ).

But yeah, McIlvaine. :pity:

llemon
05-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Figured I would see Kahn's name listed. Tell me something. Of all the non-playoff teams, can you name me more than 2 teams going forward you would take over the Wolves over the next 3 years?

Speaking as a demented Nets' fan, I feel for you.

avrpatsfan
05-19-2012, 09:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060224
/Thread

Jint.
05-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Jordan Hill as a Knicks fan... I poo poo him

llemon
05-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Jordan Hill as a Knicks fan... I poo poo him

I think JH is good and valuable player.

Jint.
05-19-2012, 10:37 PM
^^ not when NY needed a pg and Lawson, Holiday and Collison were on the board.. hated that pick

llemon
05-19-2012, 10:39 PM
^^ not when NY needed a pg and Lawson, Holiday and Collison were on the board.. hated that pick

Who was Knicks bigman at the time of that draft?

Catfish1314
05-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Drafting Quincy Douby over Rajon Rondo in 2006. It's not as likely Rondo would have developed into the same caliber of player he turned into in Boston, but he would have been better than Quincy Douby.

Becks2307
05-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Felton/Davis
Lin/Shump
Gallinari/Chandler
Amare/Novak
Chandler

I don't know... IF Amare never dropped off his play like he did this season that's a pretty good to great starting 5 & core of players right there. Then again I'm not a Knicks fan so I don't know the team that well. That said it wasn't exactly a bone-headed trade on NY's part. Amare's disappearance kind of kills either team either way, but it could have to do with Melo in part, so who knows...

EDIT: I do realize this is a complete hypothetical and that part of the trade was getting rid of Curry's pathetic contract.

If we don't get melo we aren't drafting shumpert, Lin is never getting a shot, chandler isn't coming. Also baron Davis probably isn't coming either (he came here to start)

Felton
Chandler
Gallinari
Amare
Mosgov

That's out team without melo, I'm happy with the trade

llemon
05-20-2012, 12:55 AM
If we don't get melo we aren't drafting shumpert, Lin is never getting a shot, chandler isn't coming. Also baron Davis probably isn't coming either (he came here to start)

Felton
Chandler
Gallinari
Amare
Mosgov

That's out team without melo, I'm happy with the trade

As long as you are happy, what more could any PSD poster wish for?

Chronz
05-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Dont see why the Blazers are being listed. They went with conventional wisdom instead of taking the dominant wing. big whoop, its not like Oden has no skills, hes just made of glass.

DR_1
05-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Paxson only drove me nuts once, when he traded LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas.

Huntey
05-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow, no body has said the Suns trading and selling first round picks for almost nothing? Picks that ended up being Rajon Rondo, Loul Deng, Serge Ibaka, Nate Robinson and Rudy Fernandez.

Trading two first round picks and Kurt Thomas for a 2nd round pick is terrible, just terrible.

We appear three times on this list: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1108478-nba-trades-the-20-most-uneven-deals-in-the-last-decade#/articles/1108478-nba-trades-the-20-most-uneven-deals-in-the-last-decade/page/21

llemon
05-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Wow, no body has said the Suns trading and selling first round picks for almost nothing? Picks that ended up being Rajon Rondo, Loul Deng, Serge Ibaka, Nate Robinson and Rudy Fernandez.

Trading two first round picks and Kurt Thomas for a 2nd round pick is terrible, just terrible.

We appear three times on this list: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1108478-nba-trades-the-20-most-uneven-deals-in-the-last-decade#/articles/1108478-nba-trades-the-20-most-uneven-deals-in-the-last-decade/page/21

That's ownership, not the GM.

Huntey
05-20-2012, 04:10 PM
That's ownership, not the GM.

But ownership is a part of management?

Huntey
05-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Also will add the Suns signing Warrick and Childress and trading for Turkoglu. (also moves made by ownership acting as GM)

llemon
05-20-2012, 04:12 PM
But ownership is a part of management?

Read the thread Title.

Huntey
05-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Read the thread Title.

yuh

BULLSFAN0810
05-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Letting Mj play for Wizards
Letting Pippen go
Drafting ELTON Brand, then trading him for Tyson Chandler and curry, then not help them get better.
Not drafting Micheal Finley
Not trading for KG twice
Signing Micheal Sweeney
Not drafting aldridge
Drafting Tyrus Thomas
Drafting Tyrus Thomas, watching Deng go down hurt, Tyrus putting same ppg , Bulla not seeing its not Deng, its system.
After T To out plays Deng they start Deng (why tyrus went volatile)
Trading Captain Kirk... Traded him for Nothing..
Signed Watson (see statement above)
Signed Boozer, when Taj was paying very, very well as a first year.
Not bring back Mj in some capacity
Taping Roses ankles with tape, when he doesn't like it
Starting Rose in the playoffs when the game is faster than reg season when he hasn't played all year...Rose done 2, 3 years before he is goodto play the way he is use to.[KG., Habachi)