PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's game brought out a few comments that need to be corrected

lpdunks8
05-19-2012, 03:49 AM
In the OKC-LAL game thread, people brought up the "rigged" 2002 WCF.

I posted a rebuttal and was asked to make a thread to clarify this thing.

Two things before the numbers are broken down.

1. I agree that game 6 was poorly called for whatever reason. I don't know if it was a rig (dangerous game to play for a Billion $ league) or just bad workers doing a terrible job.
2. Due to the magnitude of a game late in the series or for other reasons, the media overhyped this game's calls and made everyone ignore/forget the rest of the series.

With that said, here we go.

There were two games that were absolutely awful officiating to any Lakers supporter.

In game 3 (Played at STAPLES CENTER), the Kings shot 35 free throws while the Lakers got 15. This was the BIGGEST DISCREPENCY in the series. Mike Bibby (a jump shooting guard shot 1 more free throw than Shaq and Kobe combined) while Doug Christie tied their total.

In game 5, Shaq shot 1 free throw. It must have been an evenly called physical called game in the paint. Oh no, Shaq fouled out and Vlade shot 10 free throws while only fouling 3 times. Scot Pollard, the Shaq hack machine got called for 0 fouls. Webber, Pollard and Divac combined fouled 6 times. +10 FTs for the Kings.

Game 6 was the biggest differential for the Lakers in FTs, and it was +15 (not near the +20 for the Kings (once again, in LA)). The Kings also had a +13 in game 2.

All in all, they had 3 games with +10 or more FTs while the Lakers had one such game. The series total was Sacramento +19.

This issue is mainly hype on 1 game. There were many fishy moments both ways in the 2002 WCF. If one game was rigged, then I can easily say at least one was rigged the other way.

poleandreel
05-19-2012, 04:19 AM
inb4lock

Lakers + Giants
05-19-2012, 04:43 AM
It's always been the cool thing to do. ***** when lakers get the calls, that is. Laker fans aren't allowed to ***** though, that's just the law. :rolleyes:

JordansBulls
05-19-2012, 09:41 AM
:confused:

TO Rapz
05-19-2012, 10:10 AM
In before lock.

Cal827
05-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry but didn't that ref who got charged for betting mention rigging game 6 in that series? I think Laker fans should have the right to complain about bad calls like the rest of us, but not in a game that the ref admitted to rigging

Also in before close

:dance:

Gram
05-19-2012, 10:21 AM
It's always been the cool thing to do. ***** when lakers get the calls, that is. Laker fans aren't allowed to ***** though, that's just the law. :rolleyes:

Stop acting like Laker fans are innocent bro.

StinkEye
05-19-2012, 10:32 AM
My very last house league game was rigged by the refs and the convenor. I'm still waiting for an apology.

Teeboy1487
05-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Stop acting like Laker fans are innocent bro.

They are. We have done nothing wrong here. It's not like we payed refs off :rolleyes:.

JasonJohnHorn
05-19-2012, 01:57 PM
That Shaq/Kobe duo got more calls than the LBJ/Wade/Bosh trio. The Lakers have won more championships than every team in the league save the Celtics, and the officials have made calls for them more than once. Any fan of the Lakers should expect at least a little hate on the part of fans from small market teams. The Lakers have a relatively easy time winning and putting winning teams because they makes boatloads of money, get tons of ratings, can go over the cap to sign anybody and not worry about the luxury tax because they are the most profitable team in the league. I mean Jesus, you need to be a millionaire just to get courtside seats. You could buy every seat in the Palace for the price of a courtside seat in LA.

The hate is just something LA fans gotta get used to. It's like the Yankees.

Were the games rigged? Maybe... but regardless, a lot of NBA fans have reason to be unhappy with the kind of calls big market teams get.

Gram
05-19-2012, 03:47 PM
They are. We have done nothing wrong here. It's not like we payed refs off :rolleyes:.

I'm not exactly talking about that. You guys act like like you're entitled to be good. You're one a the most privileged franchises in sports and you guys cry whenever something doesn't go right. ;)

StinkEye
05-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm not exactly talking about that. You guys act like like you're entitled to be good. You're one a the most privileged franchises in sports and you guys cry whenever something doesn't go right. ;)

words taken out of my mouth. Most sensible Lakers fans would agree with you.

Reversed86Curse
05-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Shouldn't this be in the classic NBA forum? And who cares?

Gram
05-19-2012, 04:40 PM
words taken out of my mouth. Most sensible Lakers fans would agree with you.

:hi5:

Kevj77
05-19-2012, 06:10 PM
I think the difference between last night and 2002 WCF was that this game started off very physical and after the little dust up with Westbrook and Artest the refs started calling the game tighter because they didn't want it to get out of control. Both teams got in the penalty in the 4th quarter and shot free throws on touch fouls in the 4th.